iPhone X iPhone X Weird Scratch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FabTBC, Feb 11, 2018.

1. FabTBC macrumors newbie

FabTBC

I've had my iPhone X space grey since early December and from the moment I got it put a screen protector and an apple silicone case on it, in order to protect it. After about two weeks I wanted to clean my iPhone and therefore took it out of its case. That is when I noticed the weird scratch on the bottom left corner of the phone, which you can hopefully see in the pictures down below. It appears that the scratch is not on the glass or the stainless steel, but rather on the 'plastic' like element in-between the two. I've ignored it until now, but have become really curious. I have never dropped my phone and the only time it has ever left my eyesight was at the apple store, where the employee briefly took it away to apply the screen protector. I know that it also can't be a scratch from something in my pockets, as my phone is always the only thing in the pocket. Logically speaking the scratch shouldn't exist in the first place as the location is covered up by my silicone apple case. So what's the deal here, has anyone else experienced this? Should I take it to the apple store and if so whats' gonna happen? I know it doesn't impact the performance of the phone, but when you pay such a premium price, things like this really get on my nerves.

IMG_5080.JPG IMG_5080.JPG IMG_5080.JPG IMG_5081.JPG

Attached Files:

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

My guess is something that had to do with your case and perhaps something was lodged inside the case where rubbed up against the iPhone, causing it to scratch. Try taking a microfiber cloth, slightly dampen it, and see if you can kind remove it. It might be a “Scuff”, but it’s worth trying.

4. rattler macrumors regular

Any dust/dirt that gets inside the case can scratch your phone. I take my phone out of its case to clean it every week or so to minimize this.

5. FabTBC thread starter macrumors newbie

FabTBC

Tried the microfibre cloth, it seemed to have darkened the scratch a bit but it returned back to normal after ten seconds.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2018 ---
    After looking at the scratch more closely it seems that it is more than just a cuff, and almost a small cut or indent in the 'plastic' like material.

6. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Generally too tight / cheap cases are to be blamed for such things.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

In this situation, the OP actually used an Apple OEM silicone case. So my thoughts are either the damage occurred without the OP knowing how it happened before they put the case on or it happened at the Apple store when the employee the applied the screen protector as noted, or debris was trapped inside the case which rubbed up against the phone to scratch it.

8. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Oh, I must’ve missed that bit of info, apologies.

9. FabTBC thread starter macrumors newbie

FabTBC

It's an official Apple Silicone rubber case
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2018 ---
    I agree, I find it likely to have occurred at the apple store, while the employe was handling the phone. I find it unlikely that debris would have caused this, as I generally keep it in the left pocket of my jacket, which I do clean regularly.

10. Relentless Power, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I have always had much better results with silicone cases than hard plastic cases protecting my phone in the past. Especially using Apple OEM cases, they fit the phone much better than some third-party cases do. But you could check with your local Apple Store and see what options you have.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Soft gummy case will harm the finish on an iPhone just as well as hard cases. The whole point is to keep debris from getting in the case between the case and your phone as it will abrade or scuff the phone surface. They both can damage a phone.

12. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Could’ve came on the phone from the factory. I’m not sure but when I took my brand new iPhone X out of the box it was very dirty. Didn’t even look new had a Chunk of glue on the top. Needless to say I got warranty replacement. My girlfriends had dust under the lens. Then all was great my speaker stopped working so I then got another one had dust under the lens so I then got the one I have now. It has a little bit of the paint missing at the bottom. Doesn’t bother me much tho. So I just left it alone. But I can say this. I don’t think Apple has very good quality control. I see people on here all the time with dust or hair under then lens. And Defects.

13. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

The silicon cases are dust/dirt magnets. Gave them up. Something probably got in while iPhone was out of case and not noticed. Then as stated, scratched iPhone when case was put back on. Not a pretty sight :(

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I usually take a microfiber cloth and wipe down a case if I do use one, to remove any debris. It’s just a matter of remembering.