iPhone X iPhone X: which color/storage are you buying? [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VSMacOne, Sep 13, 2017.

?

iPhone X: which color/storage combo?

1. X Silver 64GB

447 vote(s)
    19.5%
  2. X Silver 256GB

714 vote(s)
    31.2%
  3. X Space Gray 64GB

410 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. X Space Gray 256GB

719 vote(s)
    31.4%
  1. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Tell us how you really feel....

2. EdUniverse macrumors newbie

EdUniverse

Lmao, I’m only just about to get the iPhone 7+ in the matte black. But if I were to get the iPhone X, I’d vote for the 64GB model in Space Grey.

3. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

Thanks for your description. I'm in the same boat, moving from a 128 jet black 7 to a 64 x. I'm using less than half now, hope i'll be ok with 64 but given you can optimize photos and music for space, i think it should be ok.

4. nathasnajperowa macrumors member

nathasnajperowa

I bought silver 256 GB. First I chose SG version but luckily all color versions have black blending fronts so after grabbing every colored models on display I found silver as more attractive. I like polished steel frame and also camera bezel is the same. It looks stunning with midnight blue apple leather case :)

5. KarmelVixen macrumors member

KarmelVixen

I bought myself the space grey 256 gb iPhone X, and I'm loving it.

6. Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

And today, (Smithsonian article) we learn that Jony Ive himself uses a space grey X, clear proof of its superiority.

;)

7. plexdk macrumors 6502

Funny, he usually rocks the white versions. maybe he got tired of them :p

8. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

That does not mean anything. So what. The silver is used for the company marketing. Look around you for iPhone X advertising. Silver is the flagship color of iPhone X regardless one or more of Apple executives are wearing other color.

9. Archer1440, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017

Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

So, the chief designer prefers Space Grey. That does mean something. What it means is open to interpretation, perhaps, but it’s certainly not meaningless. And Jony Ive is not just any Apple executive.

For example, my interpretation is that silver is the flashy advertising color meant to get people to pay attention, but for a long term relationship with the product among people of taste, the more integrated and subtle space grey is a preferred choice.

Of course, you’re entitled to your own interpretation of why Jony Ive chose Space Grey for his personal iPhone X.

10. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

Happy with Space Gray. The Apple Store was out of stock in the Silver. I think they both look great.

11. anitak1982 macrumors regular

anitak1982

I wish the iphone x came in Rose Gold but I have to cover it up anyway with a case so who would know.

12. democracyrules, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Like you said, John Ive is a designer chief or executive. He is just an executive. He is also a human like us and just happen to have a great designing talent. So, it does not mean whatever he is wearing or using is superior or preferred or need to be followed. Give us a break! What Apple the company chooses for representing their products is a flagship. That is different. Silver is iPhone X flagship color. It is chosen because of its flashy and beautiful.

13. Dave Meadows macrumors 68030

Dave Meadows

Silver is IPhone X flagship colour. It is chosen because of its flashy and beautiful? Give me a break! What nonsense! I’ll see if I can buy the space gray at a reduced price because it’s not the "flagship". Yeah, I’ll see how far I get with that!

For me, the space grey is the flagship iPhone X. Why? Because I say so, just like you say silver. There is no flagship iPhone X. End of.

14. democracyrules, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

democracyrules macrumors 6502a

It is on your eyes only the space gray is the flagship color. On Apple eyes, silver is the flagship color. Look on all Apple advertisements, on billboards, tv etc, no space gray is shown or representing the iPhone X. So? Give Apple a break :rolleyes::) Apple is the creator of the iPhone X and has chosen silver is the flagship iPhone X color during the September Apple event and marketing media. Jet black was the iPhone 7/7+ flagship color as gold is the iPhone 8/8+ flagship color. It is Apple who decides the flagship color “not” you or anyone else.

15. blaugrana69 macrumors regular

Returned my SG 64GB which I had from release date and bought SG 256GB. Plan on keeping it 2/3 years (honest !) so happier not having to “worry” about storage constraints. I do have 50GB icloud storage but then I’m running back ups on two ipads in addition to the phone.

16. Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

I hate to burst your bubble, but internationally the SG is just as prevalent in advertising as the silver. Same for the Apple homepage.

17. shr631 macrumors member

The silver is an absolutely beautiful device. No question about it. It clearly draws attention and stands head and shoulders apart from anything else on the market. There are times I see one in the wild and really admire it. Now, I have a space gray and love it. But so what? And anyway, Jony Ive is probably going to use the ipx for another 3-4 months and then be using various prototypes of the XI (pronounced “ecks eye” :D). Point is, your own appreciation of a phone color is just as valid as his. Enjoy it!

18. magamen macrumors member

magamen

19. garethjs macrumors 6502a

Means they made more of it and didn’t want an oversupply remaining.

20. the future macrumors 65816

Do you have a link to an ad or a picture of a billboard featuring the SG?

Not that it really matter, but all I‘ve seen in Apple advertising is the silver X. And I‘m in Europe, not the US.

21. Archer1440, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017

Archer1440 Suspended

Archer1440

Sure, just search Google for iPhone x billboard.

For example:

iPhone-x-ad-first-country-758x396.jpg

22. the future, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017

the future macrumors 65816

23. BrittWentz macrumors member

I've been switching between colors since it came out. All my iphones so far have been white, silver and gold back, so for this one i wanted a change. Plus, the black is kind of a throwback to the OG iPhone. But once i saw it in-store i was so underwhelmed by the color, it was like a weird muted gray, not what i pictured at all. With the silver it was a different story, it actually made me kind of excited for it again. Now, i think i'm just gonna get whichever is available first and my 16gb 6 is driving me CRAZY with the storage warnings. If only Apple would get their story straight so i could actually buy it! At this rate i'm actually considering waiting out for the next one...

24. Scott G. macrumors member

Figure I'll chime in since I was having a hard time deciding myself. I bought both colors on launch day, but was almost set on the SG until I opened and used the Silver one. It just looks and feels so much more premium. That shine from the stainless steel border is amazing. The stainless steel border makes the bezels look smaller than on the SG. The Grey Stainless steel border blends in with the bezels making them look fatter to me. And the SG just doesn't look as premium. It reminds me of an all plastic phone, although we know it isn't. It just looks that way to me. It doesn't capture that same stealth black look that the iPhone 7 Plus and 8 Plus have. It's just plain looking. Love the silver or every time I pick it up.

The above is just my opinion. Hope it helps anyone else who is stuck.

P.S. You WILL see small scratches on the Silver stainless steel. It's pretty much impossible for them not to show up. I've seen them even with a case on since day one.