Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
No, I'm saying that like other insults it can be used in different ways. Context is everything.

If people are joking around and someone says "You're a freaking idiot. :D" they're not going to get banned for it, even though it is traditionally an insult. It's all about context.
Context is everything, you're right. Which means far more than using one word in the wrong context should be required before anyone gets their arses handed to them.

Everything here has become about the "rules", not everyone here is a child, though the way things are governed these days you could forgive anyone for thinking the average age here was 13...in saying that, maybe it really is 13.

There are any number of people happily perusing these forums, going round being complete dicks, but taking caution and walking the fine line of the "rules", in doing so they get to stay. The "rules" aren't all they cracked up to be.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Context is everything, you're right. Which means far more than using one word in the wrong context should be required before anyone gets their arses handed to them.

Everything here has become about the "rules", not everyone here is a child, though the way things are governed these days you could forgive anyone for thinking the average age here was 13...in saying that, maybe it really is 13.

There are any number of people happily perusing these forums, going round being complete dicks, but taking caution and walking the fine line of the "rules", in doing so they get to stay. The "rules" aren't all they cracked up to be.

I agree.

My point is that sometimes people are really nasty to other but it's ignored because "fanboy" isn't considered an insult. I just wanted to bring attention to the fact that it can be used as an insult and when it is it should be treated as such.

I'm not one for enforcing more rules nor do I want more moderation. But one of the reasons I like MR is that people are (somewhat) civil to each other and I'd like it to stay that way.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/rulez.gif

anjinhamarota, it's starting to seem like you're so firmly set on defending your point that you may be missing it entirely.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/rulez.gif

anjinhamarota, it's starting to seem like you're so firmly set on defending your point that you may be missing it entirely.

I think most of you aren't getting my point. I'm not saying "fanboy" should be added to a list of "words you cannot say" or anything like that; I don't think people should be immediately banned for it; I'm not asking for more moderation. I do think it should be treated as other insults if it's used in the same manner.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I think most of you aren't getting my point. I'm not saying "fanboy" should be added to a list of "words you cannot say" or anything like that; I don't think people should be immediately banned for it; I'm not asking for more moderation. I do think it should be treated as other insults if it's used in the same manner.

I get your point, loud and clear. Sure fanboy can be used insultingly. Practically anything can be used as an insult depending on the context. You may not think that you're asking for more moderation and rules but that is exactly what this is going to accomplish. This is all I am/was really getting at.

I don't wish to argue with you though. I think maybe we're experiencing a little communication breakdown or something.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I get your point, loud and clear. Sure fanboy can be used insultingly. Practically anything can be used as an insult depending on the context. You may not think that you're asking for more moderation and rules but that is exactly what this is going to accomplish. This is all I am/was really getting at.

I don't wish to argue with you though. I think maybe we're experiencing a little communication breakdown or something.

All I want is for people to be civil and maybe think twice before calling others the equivalent of "brainwashed idiot" in an argument.

I don't think the word "fanboy" will ever be heavily moderated (nor do I want it to be) because, again, it's very ambiguous. I just wanted to bring attention to the fact that it is often used in an insulting manner (specially in the iPhone forums) and people are sometimes really nasty about it.

I never even said anything about moderation in this thread but people assumed that I want everyone to immediately get banned for it. That's not what I want at all.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I just wanted to add I'm kinda in a bad mood (I've been sick) so that's probably why I've been pushing this too much (not much else to do :p).

Also, I didn't start this because I took offense to someone calling me a fangirl, I just wanted to make that clear. Nobody has called me that, not lately at least (other than myself).

It does bother me though that, for example, in the iPhone forums someone is arguing their point with actual arguments and they're just called the equivalent of a "brainwashed idiot". As far as I know that's not allowed in PRSI arguments, I don't see why it should be allowed anywhere else. Ultimately I just want people to be civil.

jmann

macrumors 604
All I want is for people to be civil and maybe think twice before calling others the equivalent of "brainwashed idiot" in an argument.

I agree with Sofia.

I think that people should have the ability to communicate with one another in a mature fashion without resorting to insults, period. But in all seriousness this topic has turned much into a debate over Forum Rules and Moderation.

I am a boy. I am a Fan of Apple products. That makes me a "fan boy" no? I think that as long as people can be civil with one another and only use that term in non-negative ways, it is perfectly acceptable.

People choose to get upset over it. As in the words of Eleanor Roosevelt "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ".

Like previous people have said, people pull the "fanboy" card when they can't think of something more to support their side of a particular argument.

Whether or not someone is considered a fanboy doesn't make their opinion/point any more/less valid.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I agree.

My point is that sometimes people are really nasty to other but it's ignored because "fanboy" isn't considered an insult. I just wanted to bring attention to the fact that it can be used as an insult and when it is it should be treated as such.

I'm not one for enforcing more rules nor do I want more moderation. But one of the reasons I like MR is that people are (somewhat) civil to each other and I'd like it to stay that way.

You think the people on MR are civil? Go to the iPhone forums much? I've also noticed the Mac OSX forums are getting the same way as the iPhone forums. What I'd like the mods to do is ban some of the troublemakers on this site. I think we all know who they are.

As far as all this talk about using the term fanboy when someone doesn't any other thing to say: I think it's the other way around. The fanboys aren't saying anything back to defend their arguments. They just continue to repeat the same things they always say.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I didn't realise anjinhamarota wasn't a mod anymore. I was going to ask her what she'd do as a mod. ;)

I report people who insult others. I agree with you, even though I never really thought about that particular word until now.

And yes, I do think about the context before I report something, and not every insult gets reported. Some insults are so harmless that I just think, "Take it like an adult."

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Ah... a fanboy accusation

Enough hypotheticals, here is a test case... what should be done?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf
We're all "fanboys" cause we all have a Mac and go to a Mac forum and talk about Mac's & related subjects ??...i don't care if someone calls me Mac fanboy cause i am a proud one...just thinking "OUTSIDE THE BOX" :D

jtmx29

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Connecticut
I wouldn't consider it an insult, however, you shouldn't be concentrated on just one product or area. If you're a PC tech for instance you should be able to work on all types of computers and operating systems.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
You think the people on MR are civil? Go to the iPhone forums much? I've also noticed the Mac OSX forums are getting the same way as the iPhone forums. What I'd like the mods to do is ban some of the troublemakers on this site. I think we all know who they are.

I said "somewhat" civil and yes, they are more civil then other forums I have visited and that's why I like it. I do go to the iPhone forums a lot and that's actually what brought this up: I don't want them to get ruined (more then they already are).

As far as all this talk about using the term fanboy when someone doesn't any other thing to say: I think it's the other way around. The fanboys aren't saying anything back to defend their arguments. They just continue to repeat the same things they always say.

Who cares what they say? If they keep repeating the same stuff just ignore them. If you think they're wrong, fine, but it's their opinion. Most likely they're new mac users/iphone users and they're still at the stage where they think Apple can do no wrong. Calling them fanboys doesn't do anything other than stir the pot even more.

I didn't realise anjinhamarota wasn't a mod anymore. I was going to ask her what she'd do as a mod. ;)

I report people who insult others. I agree with you, even though I never really thought about that particular word until now.

And yes, I do think about the context before I report something, and not every insult gets reported. Some insults are so harmless that I just think, "Take it like an adult."

What? I was never a mod... :p

And yes, it's all about context. My only point with this thread was to bring up the fact that sometimes "fanboy" is used as an insult.

Ah... a fanboy accusation

Enough hypotheticals, here is a test case... what should be done?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

In that case although the "Goodbye fanboy." at the end was totally unnecessary there's really nothing about it that makes me think it should be moderated.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
This thread is like a Seinfeld episode, the show about nothing.

To summarize, CONTEXT IS EVERYTHING in life.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
What this thread needs is PICTURES.

REDTomato's Visual Guide to the Identification of the FanBoy and FanGirl

34jan29-fanboy.jpg

This is a FANBOY

macchickoct.jpg

This is a FANGIRL

yd6jjh3

Loves Macs, but probably NOT a FANGIRL

steve_wozniak_thumbs_up.jpg
jonathan-ive.jpg

They love Macs, but are NOT FANBOYS. If you don't know who they are, look them up.

xX REDTomato Xx

partyBoy

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2009
Dilligaf

Attachments

• g-mailbox.jpg
    g-mailbox.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 72
  • iphone_comic.gif
    iphone_comic.gif
    104.1 KB · Views: 135
  • iphone_men.jpg
    iphone_men.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 97
  • macmod4.jpg
    macmod4.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 96
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 87

mandizzle

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2010
Southeast MA
Like raggedjimmi said, if you ban fanboy, fanboi, and fangirl you need to ban newbie, n00b, and newb. While you're at it, since ************************** is banned, also ban do a search, you could have searched, please search, a simple search, and this site has a search function.

so true. I don't find the term newbie/n00b/newb are offensive at all. I made a whole thread referring to myself as a newb and I didn't see anyone tossing rocks at me LOL ;)

LMAO at RedTomato and PartyBoy's photo contributions

farkasam

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
New York
fanboy, shut up, we're mostly adults. don't over-moderate the forums. unless it's egregiously aggressive or threatening get over it:eek:

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
so true. I don't find the term newbie/n00b/newb are offensive at all. I made a whole thread referring to myself as a newb and I didn't see anyone tossing rocks at me LOL ;)

Well, if I call myself an idiot I'm not getting banned for it, but it doesn't mean I can call other people idiots. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.