Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzyzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
Hello all

Not too long ago, I tried to update my MacBook Pro to the newest OS (Mojave).
I downloaded the updater etc. and started updating my software. I didn't mind, so I just let it update for itself. I came back some hours after, to a black screen, and nothing responding. The computer didn't respond to any clicks neither to the keyboard, or lastly the display/screen getting closed.

I tried to shut down the computer by holding the power button. I then proceed to try to open it again and it shows a blinking folder with a question mark, which I found out, means it can't find a bootable drive.

I tried to open it in recovery mode, and from there download the OS, but every time I agreed to the terms and conditions etc. it sent me to the page, where I had to pick which hard drive the OS would be downloaded on, but I had nothing to choose. Nothing was there.

I also tried to go to disk utility, and I can't see my hard drive on the left side.

Does this mean my internal hard drive is dead? What does this mean, and what can I do?

Thank you for reading. I hope I posted this the correct section.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
If the Mac can not detect the internal hard drive, it is likely that the macOS Installer failed somewhere. Boot back to Recovery and go to the Disk Utility option from the menu bar. You should be able to repair/format the HDD and try again

Reactions: mikzn

iApplereviews

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
Yes sounds like an issue with the drive or connection. More than likely the drive was on it's way out and the stress of downloading and installing an OS update finally finished it off. Depending on the model drive replacement is usually something most people can do!
[doublepost=1548026877][/doublepost]
If the Mac can not detect the internal hard drive, it is likely that the macOS Installer failed somewhere. Boot back to Recovery and go to the Disk Utility option from the menu bar. You should be able to repair/format the HDD and try again
He can't he said the drive isn't detected at all in recovery.

Reactions: Plutonius

izzyzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
Could be a bad sata hard drive cable.

What is the MacBook's model?
It’s a MacBook Pro 15”, Primo 2013
[doublepost=1548028216][/doublepost]
If you have a usb enclosure, you could place the drive into the enclosure and install the os externally.
I have. Dont know if it was worth mentioning tho, but i have used an external USB to download the OS, but i still do not have any hard drive found on the MacBook :/
[doublepost=1548028312][/doublepost]
Yes sounds like an issue with the drive or connection. More than likely the drive was on it's way out and the stress of downloading and installing an OS update finally finished it off. Depending on the model drive replacement is usually something most people can do!
It’s a pretty old computer. It’s a MacBook Pro 15” Primo 2013.
How much would a replacement be? Also i tried to download a OS externally via a USB, but still no hard drive found, so i guess its dead.
[doublepost=1548029176][/doublepost]
Best bet is to take it to an Apple Store.

Even if it's not under warranty, they will check it out for you for free.
You sure? Never heard that before, i thought their service alone costs $ as well

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
You sure? Never heard that before, i thought their service alone costs $ as well

I have never been charged at an Apple store for them to look at (run diagnostics on) an out of warranty computer. An Apple approved service center may charge but they are not Apple.

After Apple runs the diagnostics, they will give you a cost estimate to fix the computer. If the problem is just the operating system, Apple will most likely reload it for you for free. Otherwise if you are out of warranty and your computer isn't deemed too old, you will have to decide if you want to pay the money to have Apple do a hardware repair.

If your computer is too old (usually over 5 years), the Apple store will run the diagnostics on it but will not repair it. In that case, you would need to either repair it yourself or find a shop that would work on it.

It doesn't cost anything other than a little time to give your Apple store a call.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Ah. I see. Definitely not a partition corruption

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Some of what you posted above doesn't make sense.
You said you had a "MacBook Pro 15”, Primo 2013".
What does "Primo" mean?

Is it a retina model, or a non-retina model?
If it's a non-retina model, it will have a DVD drive on the right side.
Does it have one?

We need to understand exactly WHAT you have, before we can advise you.

Also, try this RIGHT NOW, and get back to us.
1. Take the MacBook in hand.
2. To make sure it's powered off, press the power on button and HOLD IT DOWN for about 6 seconds (count them out loud). This "force-powers-down".
3. Now press the power on button and IMMEDIATELY hold down this key combo:
command-option-R
...and KEEP HOLDING THEM DOWN until the internet symbol appears.
4. You may need to enter your wifi password.

What you're trying to do is boot into internet recovery (different from "the recovery partition").

Can you do this?
Can you get to the utilities menu?
If so, we can advise as to what to do NEXT.

izzyzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
OP:

Some of what you posted above doesn't make sense.
You said you had a "MacBook Pro 15”, Primo 2013".
What does "Primo" mean?

Is it a retina model, or a non-retina model?
If it's a non-retina model, it will have a DVD drive on the right side.
Does it have one?

We need to understand exactly WHAT you have, before we can advise you.

Also, try this RIGHT NOW, and get back to us.
1. Take the MacBook in hand.
2. To make sure it's powered off, press the power on button and HOLD IT DOWN for about 6 seconds (count them out loud). This "force-powers-down".
3. Now press the power on button and IMMEDIATELY hold down this key combo:
command-option-R
...and KEEP HOLDING THEM DOWN until the internet symbol appears.
4. You may need to enter your wifi password.

What you're trying to do is boot into internet recovery (different from "the recovery partition").

Can you do this?
Can you get to the utilities menu?
If so, we can advise as to what to do NEXT.

Hello. I am sorry for the misunderstanding, i am a real idiot when it comes to tech.

Also sorry about the late reply.

My MacBook is the retina version. It has no DVD-Drive in the side of it. (After a little research i found out the MacBook i have has a ssd and not a harddisc?)

I am able to go into internet recovery, but whenever it tries to download the OS, i accept terms and conditions, and from here i am kinda stuck - since i have to choose which disc/ssd whatever the OS is going to be installed on. the reason im stuck here is because i have no options open. Its literally blank. So i think my macbook cant recognize the disc/ssd?

And yes, i can go to the utilities, but still no disc/ssd to repair, partion or anything else, its just blank there as well.

Really hope you can help me. Thanks
[doublepost=1548105538][/doublepost]
If your computer has a HDD, it couldn't be a 2013.
After some research i think i have a SSD and not a HDD as well. There is no dvd drive.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, i truly am

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I am able to go into internet recovery, but whenever it tries to download the OS, i accept terms and conditions, and from here i am kinda stuck - since i have to choose which disc/ssd whatever the OS is going to be installed on."

First, PRINT OUT these instructions so you can refer to them as you go along.

BEFORE YOU GO FURTHER (and all shouting is intentional):
DOING THIS WILL WIPE OUT THE DATA ON YOUR DRIVE.
DO NOT DO WHAT FOLLOWS UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO START OVER !!!!
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RECOVER OLD DATA WITHOUT A BACKUP !!!

Try this:
1. Boot to internet recovery. It will probably open with the OS installer.

2. You don't want to use the OS installer yet, so quit it.

3. Open Disk Utility (utilities menu)

4. When DU opens, look to the upper-right of the window. There is a popup menu there, choose "Show ALL devices".

5. It should now show you the "physical drive" (TOP item in the list). This is the one you want.

6. Click on the top item and choose ERASE. Set it to "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled".

7. The erasing should only take a few moments. When it's done, close DU and re-open the installer.

8. Try installing a new copy of the OS now.

9. It will take a little while and may involve one or more reboots. When done, you should see the opportunity to begin setup. Create a new account for yourself.

THERE ARE OTHER POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVES -- IF YOU WISH TO TRY TO SAVE THE DATA ON THE DRIVE...

izzyzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
"I am able to go into internet recovery, but whenever it tries to download the OS, i accept terms and conditions, and from here i am kinda stuck - since i have to choose which disc/ssd whatever the OS is going to be installed on."

First, PRINT OUT these instructions so you can refer to them as you go along.

BEFORE YOU GO FURTHER (and all shouting is intentional):
DOING THIS WILL WIPE OUT THE DATA ON YOUR DRIVE.
DO NOT DO WHAT FOLLOWS UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO START OVER !!!!
YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RECOVER OLD DATA WITHOUT A BACKUP !!!

Try this:
1. Boot to internet recovery. It will probably open with the OS installer.

2. You don't want to use the OS installer yet, so quit it.

3. Open Disk Utility (utilities menu)

4. When DU opens, look to the upper-right of the window. There is a popup menu there, choose "Show ALL devices".

5. It should now show you the "physical drive" (TOP item in the list). This is the one you want.

6. Click on the top item and choose ERASE. Set it to "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled".

7. The erasing should only take a few moments. When it's done, close DU and re-open the installer.

8. Try installing a new copy of the OS now.

9. It will take a little while and may involve one or more reboots. When done, you should see the opportunity to begin setup. Create a new account for yourself.

THERE ARE OTHER POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVES -- IF YOU WISH TO TRY TO SAVE THE DATA ON THE DRIVE...
Thank you for your quick reply.
Im in the DU, and i have 1 disc free called “Apple Disc Image Media”, which has 2GB. My older disc had 500gb and it is still nowhere to see on the list. Well, i cant erase the Apple Disc Image media, only partition and first aid. What should i do from here? I dont need the data on the drive to be honest, just want it to be working again if possible.

Last edited:

AsdScott

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2019
I got the exact same problem some days after updating new OS. Before breaking down, I can tell a significantly delayed response for all operations. After breakdown, I tried time machine to resume my old status, but it failedand reboot the system again. I’m feeling that the new OS just kills my drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.