Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
But the reality is that I also adapted to the new keyboard over a few days and also now prefer it.

R.

It took me a little longer than that to get used to it. Inside the first week I kept thinking "man, I am not too sure about this keyboard, then I began it like and now I really appreciate and prefer it.

Now, whenever I pull out my older 13" MBP, it's the keyboard on that model that seems kind of odd and foreign. Too much play in the keys, among other things.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Um, I don't think it's coming back.

Agreed. The death knells were sounding when the MacBook was released without a light up logo.
[doublepost=1493306337][/doublepost]
It took me a little longer than that to get used to it. Inside the first week I kept thinking "man, I am not too sure about this keyboard, then I began it like and now I really appreciate and prefer it.

Now, whenever I pull out my older 13" MBP, it's the keyboard on that model that seems kind of odd and foreign. Too much play in the keys, among other things.

It feels almost squishy, right? Springy even.

Reactions: JMacHack and leman

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Agreed. The death knells were sounding when the MacBook was released without a light up logo.
[doublepost=1493306337][/doublepost]

It feels almost squishy, right? Springy even.

It does and the keys have more side to side lateral movement than the new keyboards. They feel a little loose by comparison

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I wouldn't call the new MBPro a "dud", but... it wasn't "what I wanted".

I wanted ports that worked with the stuff I have -now- and a keyboard that was easy for me to type on.

I tried the 2016 MBPro.
And then bought a new 2015 model instead.

Yeah, i did that too! Love the 2015 model.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
It does and the keys have more side to side lateral movement than the new keyboards. They feel a little loose by comparison

The keys on my older Macbooks feel sloppy now. But this is not just about travel. I recently bought a Logitech wireless keyboard and it has more travel, lots of light leakage and is close to the old MacBook design, but the action is superior overall.

Honestly...I can use ANY of these keyboards at this point, but the new design does require some time for people to get used to. You really can't type for a day and have a viable verdict. I work with 3 keyboards...all different and I'm used to all. My favorite is the TB keyboard because it's easiest on my hands and I love the feedback.

R.
[doublepost=1493310928][/doublepost]If you take a long hard look at the comments, MOST owners have come to really like the new keyboards. Detractors are MOSTLY looking in from the outside with a tiny window of time on the new design. That's just not a viable experience for something that can take days or even weeks to adapt to.

The poll I posted proved this as well.

For a majority of users, the new keyboard IS better. Apple conducted many tests with users to find this out. They knew that market penetration doesn't happen overnight and some folks resist a new design. But they had clear data and knew it was an upgrade.

So if you OWN the new machine and after a month still hate the new keyboard, that certainly is a bummer. But you should also realize that you're in a minority and Apple cannot satisfy every customer.

R.

Reactions: HenryDJP

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I hope a lot of pro applications will take advantage,in a smart way, of that touchbar to use it while you work on your MBP full screen. I love FCPX in full screen mode when im not connected to an external monitor. I think this can be the future, to have an full screen app, and make a lot of actions with the touchbar without the need to go in window mode

Last edited:

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
But you can edit multiple streams of 4K video so then it is. The point is the word "Pro" is defined by the task you are doing really and whether the tech you are using can handle that, so what one person can deem as a pro device another might not.

Yep, I agree. There are those that need a 24GB video card (or multiple ones) for the professional work.

Another Day

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2017
Actual 'pro user' here as in I hold a professional designation in my field (CPA).

Loving my tbmbp 13". My old 2015 MBP looks like a brick compared to the new one.

Reactions: SDColorado

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
And it's still a dell. I owned the newest xps 9560, and it was garbage. I expect the 2 hours of battery life on that machine you have configured will make you happy.

Really? Most of the XPS15 owners I have spoken to are extremely happy with this computer overall, and my personal experiences with them have been spectacular. Like the MacBook Pro, I consider it a stellar machine that is capable of meeting a wide range of needs, and, also like the MacBook Pro, I think it has a lot of really good things going for it.

Apparently, people severely overreact to the "Pro" terms. Why aren't people complaining about the PS4 "Pro" not being Pro? How is the Surface Pro "Pro" but a MBP with better hardware is not "Pro"?

I guess everyone (Microsoft, Apple, Dell, ...) needs to stop using the term "Pro" because it is shockingly confusing to SO MANY PEOPLE.

To some people here, the Macbook Pro was never truly "Pro". Did they ever have Xeons? Quadro graphics?

I guess it is only "Pro" if it contains a SD card slot. Who cares about the processor, or GPU, if it is missing an SD card slot, it is not "Pro"

The Pro concept is pretty silly IMO. It implies that all professionals have similar needs. If that was the case, it seems to me that there would be a much smaller selection of available computer models and far less available customizations.

Yes, I think Intel & Apple could work better so both their needs are met, and the consumers are not left with a product that should be better. Anyways, I'm sorry for getting off track. And I'm sorry for being rude to you. It's obviously awesome that the butterfly switch keyboard is working for you, and that it's form is helping with joint pain is fantastic. But, Jesus. I typed on the keyboard for 20 minutes, and it made me angry. I like more response from keys when I type. It goes without saying that I'm sticking to the Mac ecosystem, but I'm gonna get the 2015 model, and wait until they refine their new keyboard more before upgrading again. <3

Sorry, again. Have a good night! I'm off to sleep.

FWIW, the way the keyboard felt typing in the Apple store for 15-20 minutes was very different than it felt after using it for a week, at least for me. Initially, I was hitting keys I did not wish to hit, and the pads of my fingers were banging on the chasis as I was bottoming them out. After a few days, my motor movements went through a subconscious adjustment to where I was striking the keys in a different fashion and it was a lot more comfortable (and a whole lot faster.)

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
I don't think it's a dud. I just don't think it's for some people.

Coming from a 2014 15" MBP to the 2016 13", I found that the trackpad was to big. So big in fact that I was holding my hands in a way that started to cause some wrist problems. The wrist detection, while good, isn't perfect, and I found that I needed to hold my hands at an angle instead of how they should be held.

I ultimately went back to my 2014 15". I love everything else about the 2016, but the trackpad is just to big for me.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
Really? Most of the XPS15 owners I have spoken to are extremely happy with this computer overall, and my personal experiences with them have been spectacular. Like the MacBook Pro, I consider it a stellar machine that is capable of meeting a wide range of needs, and, also like the MacBook Pro, I think it has a lot of really good things going for it.

The Pro concept is pretty silly IMO. It implies that all professionals have similar needs. If that was the case, it seems to me that there would be a much smaller selection of available computer models and far less available customizations.

FWIW, the way the keyboard felt typing in the Apple store for 15-20 minutes was very different than it felt after using it for a week, at least for me. Initially, I was hitting keys I did not wish to hit, and the pads of my fingers were banging on the chasis as I was bottoming them out. After a few days, my motor movements went through a subconscious adjustment to where I was striking the keys in a different fashion and it was a lot more comfortable (and a whole lot faster.)

I've had several Dell laptops and two desktops. The Desktops were typical PC's and okay, but I wouldn't take a Dell Laptop for FREE and that includes the XPS15. My time is the most valuable thing I have.

R.

Reactions: HenryDJP

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'm not sure there's enough time to between the fall of 2016 and 2017 to roll out a third generation of the butterfly keyboard, but I what I do hope for, is perhaps a tweaking of the existing keyboard to make it more durable.

Excuse the slightly off topic reply, but I'd love to see the keyboard/TB changes implemented in the Magic Keyboard... would love that experience on my 5K iMac... for $100-$150, I'd be all over that

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I am in the market for a new MacBook, and I feel so torn. It's hard to believe laptops from 2013 are a viable option, but it certainly seems that way. I guess there is no way to know when Apple may release an updated MacBook Pro, but its hard not to feel like a sucker if I buy the new Touch Bar model, when there is potentially a new improved model just around the corner.

What do people think, is this new MacBook Pro a lemon in a long line of excellent MBP's?

Who is to say a new model would be any better?

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA

I had a monster config as well...32gb/1tb/4gb video... simple things like suitcase fusion wouldn't activate fonts or told me there were issues with the fonts (which worked fine on the mac), I had to wipe it and reinstall windows 10 right out of the box... the only thing it had going for it was the 4K screen.. I found the dell color management software to be wonky and not reliable, as it would crash often and leave me unable to change the profile. Also, the battery life was what I'll say is 1/2 of what is quoted.

But just like some people don't like the new MacBook Pro, I wasn't a fan of the dell.. it's all subjective, hands down.

Except suitcase..that didn't work at all, so not subjective. ;)
[doublepost=1493354957][/doublepost]
Who is to say a new model would be any better?

Exactly, and don't think for a minute that the touch bar is going away.. I'm guessing you'll see it on the MacBook and magic keyboard soon. Broader audience = higher adoption rate.

Matt Leaf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
I love everything else about the 2016, but the trackpad is just to big for me.

Its interesting. To me this is verging on a state of preference. We're not forced to accept either a large or small phone, we have options, like the iPhone SE, 7 or 7+. The trackpad deals specifically with hand size, maybe it would make sense to offer a large trackpad as an option, rather than forcing it down our throats. In fact, if as you say certain design decisions only suit certain people, maybe the downfall of the modern MacBook Pro is its lack of customisation options - not only for specs, but for external design. Why do we have to be so caged in with Apple these days? Can't they offer 2017 thin designs, or Retina chassis as options? With or without Touch Bar this seems to be the major issue here - is that some people, out of pure preference prefer the old chassis' over the new one - keyboard, trackpad, glowing logo, ports and all.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
Somehow people forget that Apple has had the SAME resistance from a minority of users with EVERY change. It's rather puzzling, but I think part of it is that people DON'T remember if the change didn't bother them.

Nothing will EVER come close to the crying that we heard when Apple started pulling out the superdrives. Without a built in CD burning/data backup or ability to watch a DVD, people SWORE that Apple had made a fatal error.

And look where we are now!

Touchbar, ports, keyboards...all are trivial by comparison. This is what the Apple Laptop IS. It's thinner, lighter and optimized for portability because that's the IDEA of a laptop. From a progress standpoint they made mostly good choices for a MAJORITY of users. If you fit into that majority then you're happy camper. The minority can't be helped even though they're not wrong to complain.

I went to test drive an Alpha 4C. It's too small for me. I complained. I even wrote a note to Alpha Romeo. But in the end there's nothing I can do but choose another car. That's pretty much how life works.

R.

Reactions: HenryDJP and xxray

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I had a monster config as well...32gb/1tb/4gb video... simple things like suitcase fusion wouldn't activate fonts or told me there were issues with the fonts (which worked fine on the mac), I had to wipe it and reinstall windows 10 right out of the box... the only thing it had going for it was the 4K screen.. I found the dell color management software to be wonky and not reliable, as it would crash often and leave me unable to change the profile. Also, the battery life was what I'll say is 1/2 of what is quoted.

But just like some people don't like the new MacBook Pro, I wasn't a fan of the dell.. it's all subjective, hands down.

Except suitcase..that didn't work at all, so not subjective. ;)

Bummer! Sorry you had a bad experience with one :(

I've become quite a fan of Windows 10, but the consistency of the overall User experience of Win 10 still trails that of OS X IMO.
[doublepost=1493432688][/doublepost]
I've had several Dell laptops and two desktops. The Desktops were typical PC's and okay, but I wouldn't take a Dell Laptop for FREE and that includes the XPS15. My time is the most valuable thing I have.

R.

You are a die hard Apple fan of a platform that has a history of working reliably and consistently and a socioeconomic status capable of affording Apple goods, which in turn means you have a machine that gets the job done to make that living. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Many people choose Apple for that very reason. In terms of time efficiency, OS X really shines.

Reactions: maflynn

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
Bummer! Sorry you had a bad experience with one :(

I've become quite a fan of Windows 10, but the consistency of the overall User experience of Win 10 still trails that of OS X IMO.
[doublepost=1493432688][/doublepost]

You are a die hard Apple fan of a platform that has a history of working reliably and consistently and a socioeconomic status capable of affording Apple goods, which in turn means you have a machine that gets the job done to make that living. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Many people choose Apple for that very reason. In terms of time efficiency, OS X really shines.

Not that long ago I was "that guy" laughing at people who shelled out twice as much for Apple stuff. I had "good" stuff from Dell, Gateway and HP, but like most people I spent a LOT of time screwing with windows and hardware to get it all running smoothly.

To experiment I bought a pair of quad core i7 iMacs and I sold my PC's for pennies just a month later. To say I'm a fan wouldn't be correct. I own the 13" and 15" Touch Bar models along with an older i7 15" and a newer MacBook Air. But I dislike iPhones (I use one for work, but my personal phone is the Note).

I have very recently used the latest Dell machines on jobs and there are improvements, but I'm sorry to say that they are still pretty awful out of the box, not to mention VERY unreliable on the hardware front.

Since MOST premium laptops can all do a good job on a variety of pro applications, I look to the overall user experience, which includes my TIME. This is where Apple pulls ahead and every working person I know sticks with Apple for this reason. The majority of people who get into a numbers war on memory and processors have no insight. It's like people who complain that a certain Porsche is slower than a certain Mustang, but don't understand why the Porsche is still a better car.

Apple remains the Porsche of the industry, at least for Laptops.

R.

Reactions: iRabbit

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Not that long ago I was "that guy" laughing at people who shelled out twice as much for Apple stuff. I had "good" stuff from Dell, Gateway and HP, but like most people I spent a LOT of time screwing with windows and hardware to get it all running smoothly.

To experiment I bought a pair of quad core i7 iMacs and I sold my PC's for pennies just a month later. To say I'm a fan wouldn't be correct. I own the 13" and 15" Touch Bar models along with an older i7 15" and a newer MacBook Air. But I dislike iPhones (I use one for work, but my personal phone is the Note).

I have very recently used the latest Dell machines on jobs and there are improvements, but I'm sorry to say that they are still pretty awful out of the box, not to mention VERY unreliable on the hardware front.

Since MOST premium laptops can all do a good job on a variety of pro applications, I look to the overall user experience, which includes my TIME. This is where Apple pulls ahead and every working person I know sticks with Apple for this reason. The majority of people who get into a numbers war on memory and processors have no insight. It's like people who complain that a certain Porsche is slower than a certain Mustang, but don't understand why the Porsche is still a better car.

Apple remains the Porsche of the industry, at least for Laptops.

R.

Then instead of saying an Apple fan in-general, is it fair to say you are a big fan of the MacBook Pro?

I'm not disagreeing with you regarding the quality of Apple laptops. Heck, one could even argue that they run Windows as well as any Windows-only PC! I don't agree with every design choice Apple makes on the MBP, but that doesn't change the fact that it is the Ferrari of laptops, and the industry benchmark.

I sell both the XPS and MacBook Pro at a place I work part time as a means to have more access to tech stuff (and to meet some lovely ladies :).) Both sometimes come back with hardware issues. Most people who buy either are very happy with what they chose. That includes some people who moved from Windows to OS X and OS X to Windows (and in some cases, from Windows to OS X to run Windows in OS X.)

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Then instead of saying an Apple fan in-general, is it fair to say you are a big fan of the MacBook Pro?

I'm not disagreeing with you regarding the quality of Apple laptops. Heck, one could even argue that they run Windows as well as any Windows-only PC!

I sell both the XPS and MacBook Pro at a place I work part time as a means to have more access to tech stuff. Both sometimes come back with hardware issues. Most people who buy either are very happy with what they chose. That includes some people who moved from Windows to OS X and OS X to Windows (and in some cases, from Windows to OS X to run Windows in OS X.)

I think one of my biggest complaints about Windows is the inability for ME (the machine owner) to do what I want to do in the name of security or some other random issues. Take Extensis Suitcase for example.. I was unable to remove my FontVault, because windows INSISTED that the files were in use, even though 1) no process was running tied to it, and 2) Suitcase had been uninstalled. Thus, I had no choice but to wipe the machine. I couldn't even copy OVER the files as they were "in use". Also, when trying to delete other files, I didn't "have permission" even though I was the administrator...um, what? I was a MCSE back in the late 90s - early 2k's and never had problems removing my own files. Windows 10 stops you at every turn it seems. . . even from safe mode with command prompt.

Secondly, I'm a web-dev and run a lot of different browsers for testing... Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and (unfortunately) Edge. I grew weary of Microsoft telling me every time I launched a competing browser how great Edge was going to be... "Edge saves your battery" "Edge is faster" "Edge is more secure". I get it Microsoft, you want me to use your browser. I've chosen not to by default. Must you put it in my face every chance you get? It's like Windows has turned in to AdWare for all of MS's other products. If I run Chrome on my Mac(s), I don't get Apple sending me notifications about how wonderful and world changing safari is. And that's something I appreciate.

I should note that the 9560 XPS that I has was a "Microsoft Select" from their retail store, so the only thing that came installed was Windows 10, some Dell Drivers, and Office. Nothing else. I'm sure the Dell is great for some, it just wasn't for me.

Just my opinion though. :)

Reactions: meteoreos

Eason85

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2017
Hong Kong
I think one of my biggest complaints about Windows is the inability for ME (the machine owner) to do what I want to do in the name of security or some other random issues. Take Extensis Suitcase for example.. I was unable to remove my FontVault, because windows INSISTED that the files were in use, even though 1) no process was running tied to it, and 2) Suitcase had been uninstalled. Thus, I had no choice but to wipe the machine. I couldn't even copy OVER the files as they were "in use". Also, when trying to delete other files, I didn't "have permission" even though I was the administrator...um, what? I was a MCSE back in the late 90s - early 2k's and never had problems removing my own files. Windows 10 stops you at every turn it seems. . . even from safe mode with command prompt.

Secondly, I'm a web-dev and run a lot of different browsers for testing... Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and (unfortunately) Edge. I grew weary of Microsoft telling me every time I launched a competing browser how great Edge was going to be... "Edge saves your battery" "Edge is faster" "Edge is more secure". I get it Microsoft, you want me to use your browser. I've chosen not to by default. Must you put it in my face every chance you get? It's like Windows has turned in to AdWare for all of MS's other products. If I run Chrome on my Mac(s), I don't get Apple sending me notifications about how wonderful and world changing safari is. And that's something I appreciate.

I should note that the 9560 XPS that I has was a "Microsoft Select" from their retail store, so the only thing that came installed was Windows 10, some Dell Drivers, and Office. Nothing else. I'm sure the Dell is great for some, it just wasn't for me.

expect more and more shady ******** as hardware companies (swapping components like Dell and Huawei) and software companies (ads and private data collection/selling) to skyrocket over the next 5 years.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California

Yup.

All I can say is that two new Dell machines caused a LOT of grief on a shoot because Windows 10 remains a troublesome OS for a variety of reasons.

There's just no reason for most people to switch away from Apple quality and the better OS unless you need a specific specification requirement in a laptop.

As most already know, the average professional does not need a base Touch Bar spec. let alone a 15" model with quad core i7 and TB drive.

R.

Reactions: parajba
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.