Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iTunes App Store Screenshots, Pricing, and Revenues

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has not yet officially released the final version 2.0 Firmware for original iPhone owners just yet, but the App Store does appear to have gone live, and now appears as a link in the iTunes Store. Based on some early experiences with the App Store, we've consolidated these notes and observations about the App Store.

Screenshots can be taken by everyone running Firmware 2.0. By simply holding down the home button and the on/off button simultaneously, you will see a "flash" of white appear on the screen, and a screenshot will have been saved to your Photo roll. Simply syncing your photos to iPhoto will transfer them to your computer. Some forum members have taken advantage of this feature to create a screenshot thread in our App Store forum where they are collecting screenshots from various applications. Additional screenshots are also available at Ars Technica, OrchardSpy, Engadget.

Graph from PinchMedia
The pricing of iTunes Applications will likely remain in flux as the market establishes itself. ReadWriteWeb points us to the above graph by PinchMedia which breaks down how iTunes Apps are being priced at this time. There are clear spikes at Free, $4.99 and $9.99, but there are a number of apps that fall under the $4.99 price.

What's most interesting, however, is Phill Ryu's observation that every iTunes App publishes their download stats on their info page as seen on the iPhone. For example, AOL's free AIM client has already logged over 12,000 downloads:

Now, when we look at an application, such as Super Monkey Ball, we see it has attracted 3927 customers at $9.99/download. This means they've netted $27462 so far today after Apple's 30% cut. Hard to draw too many conclusions, especially since the App Store only officially launched this moment, and the official 2.0 Firmware has not been released. This, however, will be an interesting number to watch over time. Meanwhile, less publicized apps have only seen downloads in the double digits so far.

Article Link

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
"As a result the only people buying apps are the ones who followed these instructions to install the Firmware early."

Maybe I am exception, but I dont even have an iPhone yet. I have an iPod touch, but am downloading all the apps I want before the servers get hammered.

Comment

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I think natural price reductions will come. The most interesting thing for me is the info on easy screenshots

Comment

GageGecko

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Slightly surprised more people haven't bought the anatomy app yet. I realize it's pricey but medical people are used to this as books can cost us a fortune. That and it seems like a very well done app. With it being demo'ed in the video I thought that would perk more interest.

Time will tell I guess.

Comment

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Clearly Apple has changed the "delivery" game with the iTunes App Store.

Comment

alexplank

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
the comment you made about people needing to install firmware before buying apps is incorrect. You don't even need an iphone to use itunes to buy apps from the store.

Comment

youashwag

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Is the picture taking of the apps just for the iphone or can you do that on the ipod touch also?

Comment

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
I think the med app cost 40...this is crazy...I can't wait for tomorrow...the App store is going to crash...just like mobileme:D

Comment

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
I find it interesting that there's three "flashlight" apps that are attempting to charge $1. (There is one free one, and Erica's flashlight app for jailbroken 1.x phones.) There's also an app that's charging for the same functionality (as far as I can tell) as Apple's calculator in iPhone software 2.0.

Comment

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
If Apple were to truly be the forward-thinking company with it's customers, vs profit, in mind, they'd end this ridiculous, insulting and annoying 0.99 thing, and just round it to a nice simple buck, or two.

(yes, I know, all companies want profit, but some do so by treating their customers with respect)

((yes, i also know the developers set the price, but Apple could have put on a better example.))

(((Yes, I'll put my money where my mouth is. If i see a $1.00 app somewhere, I'll buy it)))

Comment

williej81

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
$40, what about the $70 Application for Pilots under the Travel section? I guess if you're a pilot that's a good deal, but wow...

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Update: Sales numbers increased abruptly for Super Monkey Ball immediately after publishing, so we've adjusted the numbers.

Comment

geezle27

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
Apps not found

I have found that several apps are not available to Canadian iTunes Store users, AOL Radio and the Google app to amongst them. Is this temporary or are the apps going to be limited distribution by country.

As for someone comments about the $40 app. It is a professional grade flight information app used by pilots around the world.

Comment

X86BSD

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Kansas, USA
$40, what about the $70 Application for Pilots under the Travel section? I guess if you're a pilot that's a good deal, but wow...

That app is pretty darn nice! And will save me a boatload of time. I plan to buy that tomorrow when the firmware comes out. It's a really nice app if you are a pilot!

Comment

X86BSD

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Kansas, USA
I have found that several apps are not available to Canadian iTunes Store users, AOL Radio and the Google app to amongst them. Is this temporary or are the apps going to be limited distribution by country.

As for someone comments about the $40 app. It is a professional grade flight information app used by pilots around the world.

Don't worry I am guessing that those apps are not showing up because it is taking a while to propagate to the local canadian servers. I cannot for the life of me think why there would be a country border limit on application sales??

Comment

*GG*

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2005
Scotland

It seems different countries have different Apps. The AOL Radio is not available in Europe either, and I can't find a Google one, so presume it isn't.

There do seem to be some European ones - 105 Radio (Italian) and a couple of Monte Carlo Radio ones.

The prices seem higher than being reported. eg the My Life Record Family edition is $60 (£29.99), the Netters Anatomy Flash cards is almost $50 (£23.99), and there are quite a few others in that price region.

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Great post.

This is the sort of thing that makes MacRumors so much more valuable than a simple "we reprint press releases and have a message-board" kind of page.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.