Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I'm not rich to why new underwear every day! I've to wash it and then ues it... As far as iBook well Jibs said that they want to put the name Mac on all computers

"mac" isn't on the iphone or ipod touch. Why is the tablet a computer but those aren't?

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
"mac" isn't on the iphone or ipod touch. Why is the tablet a computer but those aren't?

please refere to my post..i said Computers.. Now the tablet is it a computer??what is it?

Look for the keynote where the MacBook Pro was introduced..he explains there.

Xero910

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
I'm throwing my hat into the ring with a texturizable multitouch surface (i.e. letters grow out of keyboard, lines rise up for buttons, etc.). That would be surprising indeed.
I forgot about that. I could have sworn they applied for a patent regarding that a long time ago. I'd be happier with that than a new kind of touchless control.

As for the battery? it's pretty big compared to iPhone. I'm guessing it'll have a big ass battery in it :)

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
please refere to my post..i said Computers.. Now the tablet is it a computer??what is it?

Look for the keynote where the MacBook Pro was introduced..he explains there.

I am referring to your post. In discussing tablet names, you said "Jobs says all computers will have Mac in the name." This means you are saying that the tablet will have "Mac" in the name because it is a computer. Thus I am asking what makes you think that the tablet is more deserving of the "Mac" moniker than is the iPhone or iPod Touch, given that those are arguably "computers" too.

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I wonder who would actually buy an apple tablet? And how they would use it for whatever needs they have? I just don't see the point of tables. I'm at computer shops a lot and it almost seems like tablets are being phased out.

Would'nt it be better if apple put more R&D elsewhere? Like, some long overdue features on the iPod, maybe even proper sound output? Decent headphones? Perhaps a headless iMac, that way we can do more with a mac than have it become a brick after 2 years. My most wanted feature:

Either come out with a small iTunes application like Vox, one that doesnt have all the bloated crap itunes has (support for nearly every device apple's ever released) thus taking down CPU usage and especially RAM usage. Well, either that or change the name of iTunes to iMedia.

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
I am referring to your post. In discussing tablet names, you said "Jobs says all computers will have Mac in the name." This means you are saying that the tablet will have "Mac" in the name because it is a computer. Thus I am asking what makes you think that the tablet is more deserving of the "Mac" moniker than is the iPhone or iPod Touch, given that those are arguably "computers" too.

The iPod touch is more of a PDA/Media Player. the iPhone is a Smart Phone(way to smart) now the tablet will be more powerfully than those two guys therefor a Computer..

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The iPod touch is more of a PDA/Media Player. the iPhone is a Smart Phone(way to smart) now the tablet will be more powerfully than those two guys therefor a Computer..

I think those are arbitrary distinctions. The iPhone is essentially identical to an iPhone (slightly different hardware configuration). The tablet is likely to run an OS very similar to the iPhone. Is the dividing line between computer and phone just north of the iPhone? Why?

kcroy

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Ohio
surprising interaction

Perfected voice recognition: 1) it reads texts & emails to you 2) you dictate to it as it types 3) verbal commands for actions. All of this finally perfected, and it learns as it goes.

Perfected handwriting recognition: 1) you write and it transcribes it into type 2) you draw a circle and it recognizes it, etc.

Advanced multi-touch: all new amazing features of touch

Facial gesture recognition: front facing camera built into the screen 1) it recognizes you 2) tracks what you are looking at and predicts an action 3) prompts you with questions, "Rick, would you like to check your email?" >Yes "You have four new messages from..." (lists them) >Please read me the email from Steve. (message is read and you can verbally rewind, pause, reply with a dictated email.)

That's it.

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA
I'm curious what you folks who say you want notebook updates want these machines to do? They already handle what used to be desktop only work like video-editing, and each progressive speed bump doesn't seem to bring that much to everyday interaction with the computer. Frankly, if Apple didn't update their computers for another year their lineup would be fine.

I'm excited for the tablet simply because I can envision its use at my work (healthcare) - something that notebooks have not been able to do effectively.

Agree on both points - the only reason I could see someone wanting updates to the notebook line is if someone is in the market for one and just wants the newest and greatest.

I, too, am involved in health care and would love the ability to have an effective tablet - I have tested tablets at two institutions and they created more problems than benefits.

these "rumors" have been around for so long, this tablet really better be ingenious for all the hype...

David-fr

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
Bay Area
I think those are arbitrary distinctions. The iPhone is essentially identical to an iPhone (slightly different hardware configuration). The tablet is likely to run an OS very similar to the iPhone. Is the dividing line between computer and phone just north of the iPhone? Why?

If the tablet runs a Iphone OS that won't be cool..the beuty of that os is that AppS run in iPod and iPhone no matter hardware (well some do requiere new hw) iT will be a Mess and. Pointless the tablet must have OS X. That Will also be apples answer to netbook. Gosh if only my friend wouldn't be to loyal with apple and tell me a bit (he's iTunes engineer)

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
If the tablet runs a Iphone OS that won't be cool..the beuty of that os is that AppS run in iPod and iPhone no matter hardware (well some do requiere new hw) iT will be a Mess and. Pointless the tablet must have OS X. That Will also be apples answer to netbook. Gosh if only my friend wouldn't be to loyal with apple and tell me a bit (he's iTunes engineer)

If he's an itunes engineer he probably doesn't know. I'm in silicon valley, and it would seem from my friends that only those actually working on secret products know anything about them.

It does seem most likely that the tablet will run some form of the iPhone version of the OS. Presumably with additional features, and presumably running on ARM. We'll see.

Emulsion

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Perfected voice recognition: 1) it reads texts & emails to you 2) you dictate to it as it types 3) verbal commands for actions. All of this finally perfected, and it learns as it goes.

Perfected handwriting recognition: 1) you write and it transcribes it into type 2) you draw a circle and it recognizes it, etc.

Facial gesture recognition: front facing camera built into the screen 1) it recognizes you 2) tracks what you are looking at and predicts an action 3) prompts you with questions, "Rick, would you like to check your email?" >Yes "You have four new messages from..." (lists them) >Please read me the email from Steve. (message is read and you can verbally rewind, pause, reply with a dictated email.)

That's it.

This is what I was thinking. This would be perfect for reading. You would never have to turn a page. Same for playing music. The text could scroll with you. Or turn the page when you are finished.

rth231

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I still vote testicular input.
There's more chance that the tablet runs Windows XP.

But what if it used something like the XBOX project Natal touchless gesture sensing on top of the iPhonesque multitouch? Put four iSight cameras like the ones in the Macbook Pros (sleek, sexy and hidden) centered on each side of the device and it picks up air gestures and movements by the user.

Spank the Hooker would be number one in the app store in no time.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
There's more chance that the tablet runs Windows XP.

But what if it used something like the XBOX project Natal touchless gesture sensing on top of the iPhonesque multitouch? Put four iSight cameras like the ones in the Macbook Pros (sleek, sexy and hidden) centered on each side of the device and it picks up air gestures and movements by the user.

Spank the Hooker would be number one in the app store in no time.

Unlikely. After all, it's a tablet - you need your hands to HOLD it.

rth231

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Unlikely. After all, it's a tablet - you need your hands to HOLD it.
I would imagine it more flat on a coffee table, or on your lap on a couch or when you lie like this /\_? in bed (bad drawing, but you get the point)

Besides, you could make that arguement for any input method. If you need your hands to hold it, how are you going to use a stylus, with your teeth? Multi Touch with your nose and tongue? Obviously, you could hold it in one hand and use the other to control it, but waving gestures require the same amount of hand use as any other input method.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020

That's it.

Future sHOCK !

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I would imagine it more flat on a coffee table, or on your lap on a couch or when you lie like this /\_? in bed (bad drawing, but you get the point)

Besides, you could make that arguement for any input method. If you need your hands to hold it, how are you going to use a stylus, with your teeth? Multi Touch with your nose and tongue? Obviously, you could hold it in one hand and use the other to control it, but waving gestures require the same amount of hand use as any other input method.

You have at most one hand free. Best use of it is touching the screen, not waving it in the air. Imagine using your iphone by putting it on the desk and waving your hands at it.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Well, either that or change the name of iTunes to iMedia.

I remember when a "media center" was called a library.

I remember when a library wasn't called a media center, and everything else had great name that it had somewhat out-grown and we knew what it was anyway.

rme

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008

Attachments

• EmmetBrown.jpeg
    EmmetBrown.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 122

rth231

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
You have at most one hand free. Best use of it is touching the screen, not waving it in the air. Imagine using your iphone by putting it on the desk and waving your hands at it.

No, obviously it would need a touch screen/waving combination... But now that I imagine flicking around in the air, waving feels silly.

Just that if we will be "very surprised by how [we] interact with the new tablet" than I'm pretty sure it's not just going to be multi-touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.