Jobs Says Over-The-Air HD Video Uploads Coming 'In The Future'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

One of the key features of iPhone 4 is its ability to record high-definition video in 720p. Users have found, however, that getting the HD video off of the device requires connecting it to a computer for download. While Apple offers users simple options for sharing videos directly from the iPhone via email or MMS, or by uploading the videos to MobileMe or YouTube, those mechanisms result in compression of the files, losing significantly quality in the process.

MacDailyNews reports that one of its readers emailed Apple CEO Steve Jobs to ask about this issue and express disappointment at the inability to directly upload HD content to the web while on the go. In an email reply, Jobs notes that the ability to upload HD content over the air is coming "in the future".
You can upload them via a Mac or PC today. Over the air in the future.

Sent from my iPhone
While Jobs gives no timeframe for when we might see such a feature, it does give users looking for this capability some hope for the future. HD video uploads via 3G would obviously place a greater strain on carriers' networks and also eat further into customers' data limits. For that reason it might make sense for Apple to either roll out the feature as a Wi-Fi-only at first, and perhaps offering it via 3G further down the road with user-selectable options for varying export quality.

Article Link: Jobs Says Over-The-Air HD Video Uploads Coming 'In The Future'

guru_ck

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Of course. AT&T will let them use as much bandwidth as they like considering all new customers are limited to 2GB now which will quickly be used up with something like this.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
This really strikes me as one of those things that they put off just to save time. It'll probably be something in 4.1 now that they've had a few more weeks to polish everything.

oakland6980

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
He could have a response to every question being 'In the future' and we'd get yet another write up about an uninformative blah email from jobs.

iPhone Addict

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
How is this even news.

Just more of Jobs' vague retarded drivel. It'll come in the next iPhone or the iPhone after that, and technically his statement is correct but is useless to any user today.

This shouldn't be reported as news because people who don't understand the stupid marketing games that Jobs and his cronies play will actually believe that this means a fix is coming sometime in the near future, not in 2016.

RazorD

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2004
Bath, UK
With the removal of unlimited data, it's completely unacceptable to be thinking that the network stability should be taken into account.

I can see why its not on facetime.. bandwidth is important there, but i should be able to use my 500mb data for whatever i want, with no restrictions.

Deffa

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
AHEM... Entering RANT zone.....

OK... this isn't really entirely a comment on the article but I went through the horror of registration just now (what is up with sites being a pain to register lately?) to say the following:

With the recent rumors.... should this site perhaps change the name to iPhoneRumors? iRumors maybe? :D

I love the iPhone and all but GOSH! It's been constant iPhone this and iPhone that for the past while. It's a stupid cell phone people! (Granted it's a lovely cell phone but a cell phone still.... :eek:)

Leaving RANT zone....

Well, there. I feel better now. :D

*moves on* ;)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The feature will be added when the next generation wireless network is running. LTE rollout has been going on for almost 2 years now, and flipping the switch is scheduled for mid-2011.

I will laugh my ass off if Verizon gets a CDMA iPhone/iPad (1-11) and a couple of months (5-11) later ATT gets a LTE network Apple exclusive for a couple of years with a $5 a month roaming add-on if you want to use Verizon when ATT is not available.

I will also expect it.

Rocketman

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
If you ask about the iPad, Steve answers from his iPad, and if you ask about the iPhone, he answers from his iPhone! This is so awesome :D

I'm sure that as mobile speeds increase, the amount you can upload also increases. It makes sense and it's inevitable!

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
This really strikes me as one of those things that they put off just to save time. It'll probably be something in 4.1 now that they've had a few more weeks to polish everything.
I don't see how. They'd already implemented the interface for uploading videos. These are just bigger files. It took them more time to disallow it than if they'd just left it alone.

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
So what exactly CAN this amazing phone do?

Seems to me the highlight of iPhone 4's life-cycle was getting left by a drunk guy at a bar.

Aadhil

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
California
So what exactly CAN this amazing phone do?
Have you been living under a rock? The current iPhone is the best phone available today.

All these negative comments floating around makes it sound like a clunky Microsoft/Android device. The issues are actually pretty minor compared to how serious everyone else is trying to hype it up to be.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Jobs needs to get ATT and his future carriers on the same page then.

ATT doesn't like Applications that strain their network

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
Have you been living under a rock? The current iPhone is the best phone available today.

All these negative comments floating around makes it sound like a clunky Microsoft/Android device. The issues are actually pretty minor compared to how serious everyone else is trying to hype it up to be.
You mean the clunky Android phones that don't drop calls, make video calls over more than just wifi, and offer 4G speeds?

I'd have to drink an awful lot of the Kool-Aid to come remotely close to thinking that iPhone 4 was the best phone on the market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.