Justice Department Wants Apple to Extract Data From 12 Other iPhones

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Feb 23, 2016.

1. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

6 billions more iPhones are waiting in lines.

2. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

My estimation, they would have to build stuff into the software that would help the FBI get into EVERYONE's phone, not just crack the phone of the person that is guilty. I don't want EVERYONE's phone to be accessible, just the person with warrant.

3. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Mission creep with a touch of overreach. Combined with decision makers who have a complete lack of awareness of implications of what they're trying to achieve. Add a dollop of myopia. That's how you make a **** sandwich.

4. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

"in other news, iOS 9 adoption has today hit a record 99%"

5. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

U know what we should do! We should publish the Terrorist Watch list and stop people on the list from buying cellphones...why not? the right to use an airplane no not guaranteed by the US Constitution, either is buying a Cellphone.

NO MORE CELL PHONES FOR TERRORISTS!*I'm joking, this will never work.

6. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

Excuse me? I support every way defeating them and part of that is being able to unlock their phones.

7. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Also, you could tap every single phonecall and increase global surveillance 100-fold. That would surely help, why not support that too?

8. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Precedent. The most over used word this month and most people seem to not know what it means.

If the police get a search warrant to search a criminal's house, how does that lead to everyone's house being open for the police to look through? Cause Timmy said it would lead to a precedent?

9. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

I don't really think it's fair to criticize an opinion here. both groups just have a different idea of what's best for America....don't fight each other.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

What about the coder mind? They should wipe it off as well! His brain now knows how to make it and has an idea of the keys etc.

11. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

This pretty much destroys the FBI supporters number 1 argument - that this is just for case and one phone. This in conjunction with the iCloud backup screw up, the FBI and Justice department are really making themselves look like incompetent fools.

12. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

It is when the person on the other side of the fence accuses us of supporting terrorism because we don't validate this as being a good idea. Says more about their argument than we ever could, IMHO.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

"Give me info on the terrorists"
    "Here is your closest deli"

14. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

Is un-precedented because a company has not been told ever, that they must program software so that the government can search it later if warranted, searching a house w/ a warrant happens all the time, so does government regulation on companies for public health. But people are making a big deal about this because companies, up until now, have never had a case of privacy that FORCES them to program a way that makes a legal search capable.

Example, of Apple has to create a backdoor access many other digital devices may be forced to also...wireless routers, digital hard drives, iCloud storage companies...this is unprecedented because no one has ever had to rule on it before/

15. ricci macrumors 6502

ricci

16. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Note: the backdoor the fbi wants is without the mandatory 80ms delay.

Assuming a 8 character password it would be 218 trillion combinations. With a super computer it wouldn't take that long to try all combinations.

17. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Did you know, once the government made murder illegal, tons of court cases started popping up. I thought it was a one time.deal! No fair.

18. scottsjack macrumors 68000

And so it begins. With governmental intrusion it never ends. They want more and more and more. Unlike Gates Tim has taken the high ground.

19. nando87 macrumors 6502a

20. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

I thought if there was anything on the iCloud APPLE had to give it up because apple maintains the iCloud storage server? I'm willing to be wrong about this....

21. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

“If you want to keep a secret, you must also hide it from yourself.”
    George Orwell, 1984

22. digitalcuriosity macrumors 6502

I see this morning on CBS that now Bill Gates remember him the Microsoft guy?, he says he agrees with the FBI and Apple should comply with their demands. Yeah Yeah daddy gates today you'r a government lack'y. Oh SHUTUP GATES. Go save some people in Africa maybe teach then command line DOS.

23. bobenhaus macrumors 6502a

Ahh dont worry the Government will get their way. Its just a matter of time. Dont fool yourself that is more mightier then the big boys at the Whitehouse

24. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Gotta love the arrogance of saying it's a one time thing and then asking for 12 more today. I saw on the news this morning that people are gathering outside apple stores across the country in support of Tim/Apple's statement. This is great to see. Wanting the backdoor to phones is just another power grab; gov hates that a private corp built something they can't crack. Gov can't solve all your problems, people!