Justice Department Wants Apple to Extract Data From 12 Other iPhones

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Feb 23, 2016.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

Yes understood that the real problem here is that no one trusts the government agencies activities any more. That is a real issue that must be addressed. They are working outside of the law when instead they should be the one protecting it and working inside. But in the case against Apple I think there is a legal court order.

2. nando87 macrumors 6502a

Who watches the watchers? This increasingly fascist world makes me sick.

3. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Yes, there is a court order. However legally Apple can still challenge it.

Reason for edit: misquoted.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

So no precedent is trying to be established. Right. Got it. This is just gonna have to move through the courts. It's an important debate, just glad there is a D in the WH b/c if this was happening with an R it would have a completely different texture and many people would become completely unhinged over politics, not policy.

5. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

I'm stunned as to why you trust a government that has repeatedly proven themselves untrustworthy? Do you not like your freedom?

6. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Civil rights are continuously eroded when law enforcement sees our human rights as impediments to their job instead of the point of their job.

-Paraphrased from somewhere on the internet that I can't find again.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This is the slippery slope - a government trying to compel a private company to do its dirty work. At every step the intelligence agencies have tried to increase their power well beyond what is reasonable and specified in the Constitution. We'll look back at this period of history with as much embarrassment about our willful surrender of civil liberties as we currently look back at the McCarthy era.

8. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

This is a slipper slope my friend.

Cook was right, unlocking one would be a precedent.

9. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I can't decide if you're just saying these sorts of things to get a reaction from others or if you actually believe in what you're saying. I hope it's the former...

10. lkrupp macrumors 6502a

So how many Android phones does the FBI want data extracted from? Or is Android so full of security holes there’s no need to ask Google to unlock them? We already know the telecoms are more than happy to wiretap for the FBI. AT&T even lets them tap into their fiber optic network. Microsoft has provided the government with the means to compromise PCs in the past.

Just like the “slave labor” and “suicide nets” stories it’s Apple taking the blows while these other cowards stand back to see what happens.

Back to Android. There are only two reasons we aren’t seeing anything about Android phones...

1. Google is cooperating with the government contrary to their expressed support for Apple.

2. Android phones are trivial to break into and no court order is needed.

11. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

There is no such thing as "zero chance".

I'm not worried about this being used by the FBI to gain access to my phone using the method they're proposing in the San Bernadino case. I don't have any data on my phone related to terrorism, or any crime that I'm aware of.

I'm worried because the legal source of the authority they're citing is the "All Writs Act". I looked that up, and it is very broad. The courts "may issue all writs necessary or appropriate in aid of their respective jurisdictions and agreeable to the usages and principles of law". If the courts use this as justification, then it's not about terrorism. Terrorism is irrelevant. The magistrate who issued the court order picked a law that has already been cited in a case of credit card fraud.

It could be used to force you to turn over your phone and unlock it in a case involving a speeding ticket. Refusing to unlock it could put you in a jail cell with Tim Cook. Using strong passwords that the FBI can't crack or building a phone that uses strong passwords could become a crime in itself.

Several states are considering legislation that will require companies like Apple to add a true back door for law enforcement to use to get around your passcode, no matter how strong you make it. Your passcode is not the encryption key. It's just the key that the iPhone uses to access the iOS-created encryption key. So Apple could easily design a future version of iOS that will use either your passcode or the governments' (The US government, or any other government) master password to get to the encryption key.

12. Chatter macrumors 6502a

FEAR. The terrorists are coming for your kids and they are all muslim.
    Keep it in this narrow scope and you can get people to vote for anything you want - reality is irrelevant.

13. APPLENEWBIE, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016

APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

oops

14. snow755 macrumors 65816

snow755

lol i like that last one thats funny

15. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

And there it is...

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Anymore? The entire Bill of Rights happened because many didn't trust the idea of an all encompassing government and enough states would not sign the Constitution unless there was a brake on what gov't could do. That was back in the 1780s.

In the case of Apple the situation is still at the lowest of judiciary levels. Many appeals to come by one side or the other. So yes, there is a court order but it's anything but final right now.

17. tkatz macrumors 6502

Isn't the 80ms delay the amount of time it takes the phone to try to decrypt the key using the passcode? I don't believe it can go any faster. The FBI wants the increasing delay to be removed (and the ability to try passcodes over bluetooth/usb so they can automate it and run it as fast as possible).

18. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

This is one for the lawyers, not idle chat on a forum.

19. cgc macrumors 6502a

Official response from Apple to the FBI, "NUTS."

20. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

Then Apple should do just that. Engage its lawyers and fight the court order. But they decided to drag that out into the public. Now we are discussing their opinion.

I already replied to that notion:

21. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You know after these revelations of the FBI supporters just want all data from smart phones and computers. Now I know whom I will never buy from again or vote for ever again!

22. iOSFangirl6001 macrumors 6502

iOSFangirl6001

Ayep I believe a few dozen threads ago
    ( I lost count how many there have been as honestly this is a non issue that shouldn't be up for so much debate )

I believe I once likened this to the Feds essentially wanting to open Pandora's Box

( no not the radio/music service before anyone actually quotes me with that :rolleyes: )

23. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

May as well unlock all iPhones.

Stay strong, Apple.

24. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Methinks you are missing a whole lot of what the FBI is asking for. Go back and read the original writ.

25. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

LMAO at your comment/thinking.
    If there is an unlimited tries option there will be a bypass password as well