Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloudkicker

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2016
London, Canada/Los Angeles, CA
And if Apple would box what comes out of that nose, they would line up to pay any price for it.

And spin how it's the best _________ ever

And proactively whine about how long it will be until Samesung starts boxing _________

All ;)

Not at all... but a talking poo emoji, now that's an entirely different proposition ;)

Childish "Samesong" smokescreen to mask Apple's shortcomings? Seriously?! Who ditched the home button first, had face ID & switched to OLED way early (though my Moto X Play 2015 had OLED)? You rose-coloured glasses Apple fans are dripping with projection issues. Irritates the heck out of me

Apache1

macrumors member
May 11, 2017
Haven't pulled the trigger to upgrade to the X but my GF hates it as do many friends.
Always felt that It would be an overrated dud compared to past models... especially at the over inflated price.
For now I will keep rocking my lagging 6Plus w weak battery.
Staying that way for now.
I don't buy anything you are saying. This iphone X may be the best iPhone i have purchased and I have had them all. The UI is smoother than smooth, very fast, awesome pics, reminds me of the first one in a way. That same feeling. I believe these are going to explode, but in a good way not the Samsung way.

Reactions: Kram Sacul

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
It doesn’t matter it is bugly anyway! I have seen X with cracked display and people do not have money to repair it! What is the point of 1500 Euro phone? I just think it is not good enough! iOS is my biggest problem it is extremely craappyyy waiting for next wiggle poo emoji !

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Love my iPhone X, upgraded from an 6s. Did I really need to?, no but I wanted to. I can understand that some people just can't justify the extra money. The past couple of generations of iPhones are all good, the X is not over rated, but with each new generation the differences are getting smaller and smaller. Sensational, extreme comments are meaningless to me.

If Apple does stop selling the X, it might very well be because the changed vendors on the OLED screen.

virbing

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
My point is that there is not enough space available on the sides of the notch for the little bit of info there to be helpful at all. I have to pull down the notifications screen all the time, when on a notchless phone all I had to do was glance up at the status bar. On the x, the status bar has become useless. So I’d rather there were a straight line with room for all the info, not those small "ears" that can barely show any info at all.
And the point that you continually gloss over is that the space is lost because of the camera, not because of the notification "ears". Showing information up there is an extra, not a subtraction - and if you are really so offended by the ears, simply use a wallpaper that puts black in the areas to the right and left of the notch.

fwiw, I am trying to remember exactly what information there was at the top of the status bar that isn't there now with the notched bar.

virbing

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
Not so much research, but as first hand experience as I bought a new body style 2004 that lasted me 11 years and 211,000 miles until it bit the dust (due to my lack of timely maintenance). The new model was a big step in frame, chassis and such, but not a big jump in price. They did continue to make the old body style for the whole year and it was on their website to build. Why sell both? Idk, but I'm sure they had a reason.
Probably because of poor manufacturing planning and an inability to sell the old model because of the new style. And I highly doubt they were still making the 2004 body style - they were just using up old inventory and perhaps customizing whatever they had to clear out pre-manufactured chassis.
fwiw, you are making the argument for this whole thread, that you don't hold on to old models because they won't sell when the new one comes out. The difference is that Apple has done a much better job of matching production to sales instead of getting stuck with old inventory that needs to be dumped at a lower cost.

virbing

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
I know, I didn't think about it until right after posting, but i assumed you would point it out anyway...

I only was thinking about the media speaker and the mic. Though i guess it would be manageable somehow, although not in a satisfying way. Maybe with muffled sound ^^

But at least it's just one thing to think about then. Maybe just a tiny mic-like hole on the very top...

Bottom line of my Post: I don't need as many frontfacing tech on my smartphone as there is atm, not one bit :/
Yes, because who needs a phone that actually sounds good when you talk to someone. If you are happy with your callers hearing a muffled voice, I assume you really aren't in the market for a $1000 PHONE.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Can’t back you up on that one. I actually love raise to wake, and feel like opening the iPhone X is actually faster and better.

In general, I too hope that the great new ideas in iPhone X will continue to evolve and get better in the next iteration. As Apple typically does.

[Also, sorry that my responses have all appeared as separate posts! I thought they’d all glom together but, alas.]

Totally agree on the future direction. Got on the bus this year, decided I'll wait for the next bus that comes by, but am still confident that the direction and destination are ultimately correct.

Reactions: sidewinder3000

virbing

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
Childish "Samesong" smokescreen to mask Apple's shortcomings? Seriously?! Who ditched the home button first, had face ID & switched to OLED way early (though my Moto X Play 2015 had OLED)? You rose-coloured glasses Apple fans are dripping with projection issues. Irritates the heck out of me
And how well did that work for them? Samsung always jumps on tech as quickly as possible without considering the consequences and then dumps it when it doesn't work. That is why the Samsung fans want to continually call the iPhone X a beta version, because every Samsung is built like that.
Apple waits for technology to mature to the point where it makes sense to include it in their products. That usually means they aren't the first, but they do a much better job of integrating it into the experience - that is why they are successful and why their phones are usable for multiple generations as opposed to the Android upgrade at every iteration model.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It should, as you own a Beta Device. The second gen will be substantially reengineered internally. :apple:

LOL at the iPhone X being a "beta device", which is just a passive-aggressive way of saying you don't like it

Regardless, it will be traded in on the upgrade program next year and I will keep on rolling along unconcerned with what they do under it

FWIW, I could be just as happy today with an iPhone SE, a 7 or 7 Plus, an 8 or an 8 Plus as I am with my X

Reactions: Kram Sacul

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
If there is really a new SE model this spring, I could easily see Apple dropping the 6S/6S+, 7/7+ in the spring and only having the SE, 8/8+ and X until thsi fall.

Then this fall I could see them dropping the X, and maybe even the 8/8+ if they come out with the 9/9+ and 11/11+. That would leave them with the 2018 SE, 9/9+, and 11/11+. I'm still not sold on an 11+ happening though.

nofear1az

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2003
AZ
You can’t be serious. Your original post was an attempt to make an analogy between the car industry and Apple’s iPhone rollouts.

It’s fine if you don’t understand what an analogy is—there are always certain random words that even highly educated, highly intelligent people don’t know. But standard procedure would be to look up a word you’re unsure of in the dictionary, before rushing back onto a public forum and trying to lecture someone else about something don’t understand.

It's also fine that you can't follow a post correctly! But I understand that the school system must have failed you. I never made a car analogy. THAT was another poster. I posted on your reply to that post. Please follow along, I know it must be hard.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
It can die messaging and video calling and continuity as well. They aren’t exclusive Apple features, and video calling and messaging certainly weren’t invented by Apple!
If I remember it was around 600 in the UK, the X is 1000.

Android video calling is a mess. You would have to choose one of Google's platforms (Hangouts or Duo), Skype, What's App, etc. T-Mobile USA has it built into the app-dialer, I'll give them that. iMessage is much ahead of Samsung with RCS. Continuity isn't something you can emulate natively since iMessage is built into Mac. You can handoff calls between an iPhone, Mac, and iPad.

Apple offers a better suite of those features than any other platform I have used thus far though. Apple doesn't invent things like that because others have, but they refine those features beyond the competition in many aspects. Android is inherently fragmented, hence the inconsistency from OEM skin to OEM skin vs Pure Android.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
LOL at the spin in this thread. It didn’t sell like they thought/hoped, period.
There isn't any spin.

It's pretty easy to see why they are doing this and it's not down to sales. It's down to refusing to lower the price of a year old iphone X

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
I seriously question this prediction. If Apple discontinues IphoneX next year, what will they do with all the iphoneX that gets returned back as annual upgrade program?

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Android video calling is a mess. You would have to choose one of Google's platforms (Hangouts or Duo), Skype, What's App, etc. T-Mobile USA has it built into the app-dialer, I'll give them that. iMessage is much ahead of Samsung with RCS. Continuity isn't something you can emulate natively since iMessage is built into Mac. You can handoff calls between an iPhone, Mac, and iPad.

Apple offers a better suite of those features than any other platform I have used thus far though. Apple doesn't invent things like that because others have, but they refine those features beyond the competition in many aspects. Android is inherently fragmented, hence the inconsistency from OEM skin to OEM skin vs Pure Android.

imessage is buggy, sometimes messages arrive, sometimes they don't. Then I still have to have all of the apps you are commenting about (and then some more on top of that) because most of the world doesn't use apple. Most iphone users also dont have a mac, so thats not much of a selling point either.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
basically the iphone x was supposed to come out in 2018 but the galaxy s8 came out and surprised them so they couldnt just do an iphone 7s (which ended up being the 8)

so they rushed the iphone x, with the faceID but with iphone 8 internals, plus other premium build materials (stainless steel) to justify the higher price.

now, the 'second generation' iphone x will come in 2018 as originally planned. will probably come with more features but a build quality more akin to the iphone 7 and iphone 8.... possibly lower pricing too.

lfhlaw

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Pittsburgh
Apple became so short-sighted now, they only think they could make a huge pile of cash with the X, but didn't think of the aftermath...

If the premium line is at 1300$, i won't buy Apple anymore and i refuse to buy a second class iPhone where every features is just cut by sofwtare and a few hardware miss... i will buy the top android for 800$..

They are greedy ***king shareholders, they really ruin everything

I look at it more like cars. You have the high end luxury cars like Lexus,Acura, or Infinity and made by the same companies that make Toyota, Hodna, and Nissan, respectively. Not everyone buys them because...well....price and you don't have to have that High end brand. But you buy the next best thing maybe...a Toyota or Nissan. So That's what Apple did IMO.

Do Car Manufacturers stop making The top of the line car because they sell less? Nope. They sell less, but they still make a profit. Generally they don't make as many of those cars as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.