Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I think it was telling when the latest gen were added to the extended repair list the day they were released
Why?
Think about it for a while. Apple needs to give it’s customers reassurance that it’s covered if anything happens even if they fixed the problem. People will still assume that it will have issues given that it’s still a butterfly keyboard. Even if the problem is 100% fixed it’s there for their customers.
That’s how I see it anyway

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That and the re-introduction of upgradeability and user-serviceability.
If they can throw in the old glowing Apple logo it would be the icing on the cake.
Talking about it like this it’s mind boggling to realise how many steps backwards Apple has taken with their laptops over the last couple of years.
It is my hope that they’ve learned from this.
When did Apple have upgradeability and user-serviceability under Jobs? These current laptops are just an evolution of what started under Jobs and where the industry has been headed for years. Heck Microsoft Surface products get as bad or worse ratings from iFixit.

Reactions: bwintx and apolloa

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Sounds like Apple finally starting to take the Mac seriously again.

- a pretty powerful Mac mini
- external graphic support
- frequent MacBook Pro updates
- an expendable mac for high end needs
- new version of macOS which has new features we can be proud of

Yep I agree

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
The editor and curator that allowed the Mighty Mouse that needed to be bought again and again because the tracking ball would stop working because of dirty entering it? Please stop glorifying Jobs for merits he never had. Especially in cases where the same identical design issue happened under him, it makes the claim even more ridiculous. That was the only Apple a Mouse for 5-7 years...

And, Ive left a week ago, they didn’t decide to start working on a new keyboard, worked on it and finalized and planned when to used in the last 5 days don’t you think ?

They may have worked on it DESPITE him. Your assumption that Ive had iron fisted control over all aspects of design may be flawed, especially in this past hear or so when his stock inside apple may have finally been dropping.
Maybe partly why he left is because he was losing his power over all design decisions.

So maybe he fought for the butterfly but was overruled by the pro design team.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
FWIW this report doesn’t jive with what Rene Ritchie has heard...
4H4WAriC_normal.jpg
Rene Ritchie (@reneritchie)
7/4/19, 6:22 AM
⁦‪@bzamayo‬⁩ Weird. I heard the new Pro had the new keyboard quite a while ago. Doing the new Pro and then doing it again with the new keyboard would be tough. Or does he mean the new Pro isn’t coming until next year now?

Reactions: NikeSG

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
I'm ok with butterfly keys people who don't probably eat over their keyboards or have them exposed to large amounts of dust... Don't do it.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
I don’t see anywhere in this report where he says the laptops will be getting thicker. What excuse will Marco Arment and others use if these new laptops are just as thin but with a different keyboard?

Also LOL at anyone who thinks a new keyboard was redesigned in a week. Plus Ive is still on Apple’s leadership page. He hasn’t left yet.

So you’re attacking Marco for an imaginary complaint he hasnt made yet. Precious.

And read my earlier post. This assumption that Ive had iron fisted control over all design decisions, may be flawed. Especially in the past year or so when his stock was likely falling at apple already.

Reactions: PC_tech

Coconutcreampie

Suspended
Aug 31, 2016
NY America
Exactly. I was worried about this when Steve Jobs died and left Ive a blank check. https://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/2...o-give-jony-ive-complete-operational-freedom/

Since then MacBooks have become only form over function. I also think it was Jobs keeping him in check.

Steve Jobs is the one that would give final approval on design and ask that things be done a certain way. The first iPhone was supposed to have a plastic display cover. Steve Jobs said no. I'm quite sure that if it were not for Steve Jobs the idiot and grossly overhyped Ive would have put out a lot of crappy designs, as he did after Steve Jobs passed away. Good riddance to him. Next Tim Apple Crook needs to go.

intelligence

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2015
Glad Jony Ive is leaving. Let's look as some of his influences.
  • Apple Stores with highly reflective metal and glass creating WiFi multi-path so bad, Apple staff had to go in the back of the store to complete your purchase with a wireless terminal.
  • iPhone 4 stainless steel antenna problem.
  • Mac Pro trash can.
  • Designer Apple Watch series as an overpriced fashion accessory.
  • Butterfly keyboard.

That's some sweet cherry picking you got there. I'm pretty certain he was able to contribute to some good things as well. No?

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
When did Apple have upgradeability and user-serviceability under Jobs? These current laptops are just an evolution of what started under Jobs and where the industry has been headed for years. Heck Microsoft Surface products get as bad or worse ratings from iFixit.

I still have a few Jobs era MacBook Pro’s and a PowerBook lying around that has easy access to user upgradable Ram. The hard drive wasn’t soldered in, so could easily be upgraded too. The current laptops simply don’t allow for that.

Why even mention Microsoft.

Coconutcreampie

Suspended
Aug 31, 2016
NY America
Exactly. I was worried about this when Steve Jobs died and left Ive a blank check. https://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/2...o-give-jony-ive-complete-operational-freedom/

Since then MacBooks have become only form over function. I also think it was Jobs keeping him in check.

The idiot "designer" has named his company LoveFrom. I believe he’s dyslexic and meant to say LoveForm. Certainly not function.
[doublepost=1562243427][/doublepost]
That's some sweet cherry picking you got there. I'm pretty certain he was able to contribute to some good things as well. No?

Only when Steve Jobs gave final approval or demanded his own revisions. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sounds like Apple finally starting to take the Mac seriously again.
I'd say they started to realize they were leaving money on the table, so to speak. Perhaps they had the mindset that people would buy anything from them as long as it had an Apple logo, but with iPhone sales sinking, and what not. I can see them realizing that the Mac is an important computer for many people and making actual improvements (not just thinner) will sell more laptops.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
???

But the butterfly keyboard is the most courageous keyboard ever made???

That's until a more courageous keyboard is made.
And what's with all these courageous memes anyway? Apple was right when they removed the HPJ. It didn't take other companies long to get pumped up with the same courage and remove the HPJ themselves, but not before making fun of Apple. Typical!

Reactions: bwintx and -BigMac-

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
I will buy a maxed out 13” MBP the instant it is released, providing it has a fixed keyboard and 32GB of RAM.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I'd say they started to realize they were leaving money on the table, so to speak. Perhaps they had the mindset that people would buy anything from them as long as it had an Apple logo, but with iPhone sales sinking, and what not. I can see them realizing that the Mac is an important computer for many people and making actual improvements (not just thinner) will sell more laptops.
Furthermore if people move to a Windows laptop due to the unreliable keyboard they may also move away from the Apple ecosystem and buy a phone etc from another company. Restoring people's faith in the keyboard will lead to more people joining the Apple ecosystem.

Reactions: ssgbryan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.