Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
It just seems like such a waste for TouchID to go away.

It has been far and away one of the best innovations for the iPhone since the 5S. I remember when I bought my 5S, and how after a week, I couldn't go back to the 'old' Home Button. Even though I now use a 7 Plus, I'm reminded of the stark difference with my (now aged) iPad Mini 2, and it's weird to use without TouchID (or the newer, nicer button for that matter).

Add to that the Taptic Engine, the often forgot 'other half' of the Home Button since iPhone 7. It really is impressive how much Apple imitated the feeling of a real button. I'm constantly amazed whenever I power down my phone and realize that yes, the iPhone itself is very solid, firm, and the Home Button is not depressable in any way shape or form.

I think I'll skip out on the iPhone X (probably wouldn't be able to get one until summer of next year anyway due to supply and demand lol). I'll hold out hope that TouchID will make a return at the top end.

Reactions: HeyLammy

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
The big bet is on Face ID. And I'd imagine we'll see in the new iMac Pro. After all the new iMac Pro not only has a 1080p FaceTime camera, it also has the secure enclave too.

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
The 'problem' with Face ID is that it's automatic. You don't have the ability to "bail out" of an authentication process. You will automatically authenticate whether you want to or not.

With Touch ID, you're ALWAYS presented with an option to choose to use it or not. It's never automatic.

Seems to me, automatic authentication via face scanning with no user ability to opt out (if Face ID is enabled) could be abused some way by nefarious operators into duping a user into making a choice they rather would not.

Time will tell.

Yeah you can. There is a "glance" option that allows you to look at the screen without unlocking it.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
I can't wait to see the masses in traffic trying to make a quick glance at their phones to unlock and slamming in to the stopped car ahead of them. Tired design, heavier than the 7 and slow wireless charging as is, the 8's touchID is still far more compelling to me than a notched screen needing that bit of extra time to unlock.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
It just seems like such a waste for TouchID to go away.

It has been far and away one of the best innovations for the iPhone since the 5S. I remember when I bought my 5S, and how after a week, I couldn't go back to the 'old' Home Button. Even though I now use a 7 Plus, I'm reminded of the stark difference with my (now aged) iPad Mini 2, and it's weird to use without TouchID (or the newer, nicer button for that matter).

Add to that the Taptic Engine, the often forgot 'other half' of the Home Button since iPhone 7. It really is impressive how much Apple imitated the feeling of a real button. I'm constantly amazed whenever I power down my phone and realize that yes, the iPhone itself is very solid, firm, and the Home Button is not depressable in any way shape or form.

I think I'll skip out on the iPhone X (probably wouldn't be able to get one until summer of next year anyway due to supply and demand lol). I'll hold out hope that TouchID will make a return at the top end.

I was thinking kind of the same. In a way Apple is the victim of their own success.

They create a Touch ID system on their devices that works amazingly well. Best around. No one else has one better. Yet they are forced to abandon the tech even though they are the best just because consumers want buttonless screens. And no one can successfully create the tech under the screen.

Reactions: iReality85

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Does this guy do nothing but state the obvious?

I'll call it now. If future Apple features in flagship products are well received, Apple will add them in future models.

Reactions: apolloa

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
what is much more likely is that this notch blunder is on purpose so they can remove it next year and resell the same phone for $1000

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
True, Kuo is one of the more astute analysts covering Apple. But that does not explain his preposterous conjecture that Apple might have released a technology to great fanfare that might not really work.

I mean, if most of the rumors that seem to have been true, Apple didn't remove TouchID by choice. They were unable to get the technology to work right, so they settled on only having FaceID because they had no choice. Of course they're going to put out the new feature with fanfare, no one is missing that they removed a critical component and replaced it with FaceID. They made great fanfare out of Ping and several other useless features in the past.

It all comes down to whether FaceID actually works as well as TouchID. Right now, the only info coming is from journalists and Apple themselves.

Reactions: anoobis

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I can't wait to see the masses in traffic trying to make a quick glance at their phones to unlock and slamming in to the stopped car ahead of them. Tired design, heavier than the 7 and slow wireless charging as is, the 8's touchID is still far more compelling to me than a notched screen needing that bit of extra time to unlock.

That's the problem especially if you stay in Manhattan or Boston.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
They made too much of a deal about face ID being more secure than Touch. They won’t go backwards.

Not to mention they say Face ID is the future, every chance they can. Cook said it in the keynote and Craig has stated it courtless times including that recent podcast. They are not going back, even if they found a way to put Touch ID under the screen.

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
Kuo believes Apple's future plans will hinge on whether or not Face ID is well received by the public.

Is the criteria low sales or they will visit sites like macrumors? If it's latter apple better start working on the Touch ID under the screen pronto. We will never be happy with anything /s.

If it's going to depend on sales then we are never getting the Touch ID or at least gone for a couple of years.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Using phone while you drive.....tsk tsk

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
How will you do the swipe up with gloves unless those are special gloves.
nah.. nitrile gloves and the like.
i use those things at work daily.. multiple times a day.. they work fine with the phone once it's unlocked.. they don't work with touchID so it's a passcode instead.

not that using a passcode is torturous or anything close, just that faceID will make the scenarios when i'm using gloves with a phone.. a teeny-tiny bit more joyful (more fluid.. quicker)

----
[edit]
talking about these things.. and similar

nutouch-895.jpg

Last edited:

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
I was thinking kind of the same. In a way Apple is the victim of their own success.

They create a Touch ID system on their devices that works amazingly well. Best around. No one else has one better. Yet they are forced to abandon the tech even though they are the best just because consumers want buttonless screens. And no one can successfully create the tech under the screen.

Additionally, app devs are still adding TouchID compatibility. Heck, companies like Fidelity just recently updated their 401k app to use TouchID, which I think was only a couple weeks ago (I thought it was rather amusing, and they announced it to much fanfare under the updates description).

Makes me wonder how long companies will take to now incorporate FaceID for their apps. Will iPhone X users be stuck with passcodes for years? People here might laugh, but it's now a real possibility since TouchID is gone.

Reactions: iapplelove

kstotlani

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
The 'problem' with Face ID is that it's automatic. You don't have the ability to "bail out" of an authentication process. You will automatically authenticate whether you want to or not.

With Touch ID, you're ALWAYS presented with an option to choose to use it or not. It's never automatic.

Seems to me, automatic authentication via face scanning with no user ability to opt out (if Face ID is enabled) could be abused some way by nefarious operators into duping a user into making a choice they rather would not.

Time will tell.

Battery life will surely take a hit. I typically unlock my phone a 100 times a day on purpose and face id will do that no matter what. It would be interesting to see the battery consumption with this feature. It might happen even if the phone is kept on a desk and people/dogs/cats passing over it. Just imagine your cat moving around your bed where the phone is - maybe by the time you hold your phone next the battery would be dead. :p
[doublepost=1505868656][/doublepost]
nah.. nitrile gloves and the like.
i use those things at work daily.. multiple times a day.. they work fine with the phone once it's unlocked.. they don't work with touchID so it's a passcode instead.

not that using a passcode is torturous or anything close, just that faceID will make the scenarios when i'm using gloves with a phone.. a teeny-tiny bit more joyful (more fluid.. quicker)

I had these gloves when I was back in the states which had a way of popping your thumbs out and back in. I never found them again.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Additionally, app devs are still adding TouchID compatibility. Heck, companies like Fidelity just recently updated their 401k app to use TouchID, which I think was only a couple weeks ago (I thought it was rather amusing, and they announced it to much fanfare under the updates description).

Makes me wonder how long companies will take to now incorporate FaceID for their apps. Will iPhone X users be stuck with passcodes for years? People here might laugh, but it's now a real possibility since TouchID is gone.

I may be wrong, but Face ID will work exactly the same. Any app geared towards Touch ID will instead now request the same “ok” from Face ID. The app doesn’t know any better just looking for that ok. I think that’s how it will work .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.