Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
55% of 100 is still 55. Without knowing actual sales numbers (which they don't announce anymore) then we know nothing outside of speculation and extrapolation.
I mean, they are going to report iPhone revenue and Apple’s earnings are about $60B in the last 12 months. They’re doing OK.

This is just making their Q4 that much stronger and Q1 will likely be a record.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Nope, NOT true !

Many wait for the typical Price Reductions on older iPhones when new ones get announced !

iPhone 8 ($449), iPhone 8+ ($549), & XR ($599) !!!

ALSO, I believe the NON-Pro is OUT-selling the two Pro models by a wide margin !
What are you trying to say exactly? The older phones have nothing to do with pre-orders. MR's quote is saying exactly what your last sentence says. The iPhone 11 is outselling the Pro and the Pro Max.

jtmarine73

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
How is it debt if the payments are being taken from someone’s checking account? How is it debt when someone has the funds to pay for it in full, but would rather spread it out?

You think everyone who finances an iPhone is in debt? Also, the 11 is a nice upgrade from the XS. Is it night and day? No. But people can buy whatever they want, whenever they want.

I think you have a misconception and misunderstanding of this whole concept.

It's the exact reason Apple has "debt", even though they have piles and piles of cash. If you have $1k in savings and you earn interest, then you buy a phone for $1k at 0% interest... you make the payments on the phone from one source while the savings earn interest. It might not be a lot, but if you earned $50 in interest in 2 years, you basically paid $50 less for the phone. If you put that $1k in a stock and it does really good, you might have $2k, so you got the phone for free. Someone once told me, never pass up an opportunity to spend someone else's money if your money can be earning you more money.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Phone debt is such a silly thing. Even if it is 0% APR through a carrier or Apple, it is still debt. People buying things that they can't afford otherwise.

My sister is trading in her XS for an 11. I'm like, why? Why be perpetually paying for a phone? And why put yourself in debt over a cell phone?

It's just a subscription model.

Reactions: StyxMaker

smaffei

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
The 11 Pro is worth the extra few hundred bucks for the OLED screen, more upscale look/feel and zoom lens, to many people. The 11 is a great deal otherwise - I bet the $749 128GB model is going to be the sweet spot for most shoppers.

Will be for me.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Not surprising. Most people I know either want an iPhone smaller than the 11 Pro or larger than the 11 Pro Max. It seems to me most people are opting for one "extreme" or the other, depending on where their preferences lie.

If Apple would've put the 11 Pro in an SE case and the 11 Pro Max in an even larger case, they probably would've sold an even higher proportion against the 11 Not-Pro.

jtmarine73

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
I think most 11 Pro/Pro Max buyers are 8 and prior owners. Probably less and less X/XS/XS Max upgraders outside of the have to update every year folks. I was one of those and am keeping my 2017 X for a 3rd year.

I'm going from the X to the 11. I had a pixel 3a for a couple of months and it made me realize just how bad the X camera is. Wife is going from an 8 to an 11 because she wants a bigger phone.

Reactions: agsystems

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
The iPhone 11 is probably going to be a longer burn, but it’s extremely bullish for Apple to have so many interested in the Pro lineup at the start.

Homerun for Apple. Great job.

Reactions: ruslan120

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
I think most 11 Pro/Pro Max buyers are 8 and prior owners. Probably less and less X/XS/XS Max upgraders outside of the have to update every year folks. I was one of those and am keeping my 2017 X for a 3rd year.

I have a 7 Plus (128 GB) and am trying to find a justifiable reason to upgrade to the 11. Beyond a faster chip, I can't find it. (No desire for the Pros)

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I personally think that is a little insane for a phone. Then you add in the bill because you have to be on the big 4 to get the IUP, so you are essentially paying $130+ for a phone. That is probably on the cheap end of the spectrum.

It's the exact same price if you paid for the device in full with Applecare (which I always bought anyway). I use my phone every day and the $60 is worth it to me.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
How does he know all these details.. and how is it that apple can not stop him?...
Or are these controlled leaks.. ....

Reactions: ruslan120

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
Here’s a fun comparison between the iPhone 11 and the iPhone XS, from John Gruber’s page where he posted the original files. There’s so much detail in the iPhone 11 Night mode shot - the XS one looks like mud. I cropped in a bit and made this side by side:

5B8FCB51-82E5-4B1A-9732-EEE3A3E3CFE7.jpeg

https://daringfireball.net/2019/09/the_iphone_11_and_iphones_11_pro

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
Phone debt is such a silly thing. Even if it is 0% APR through a carrier or Apple, it is still debt. People buying things that they can't afford otherwise.

My sister is trading in her XS for an 11. I'm like, why? Why be perpetually paying for a phone? And why put yourself in debt over a cell phone?

Not really debt. More like lay away, and receiving the product up front. Better at 0% than on a interest bearing credit card. I could afford it up front with cash, but would not want to pull money from savings and losing interest on that. Everyone’s situation is different and nobody knows what it is...

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

It’s similar to the way the majority of people purchase an automobile. They are looking for a specific monthly payment. Not looking to purchase an automobile that has a price they can afford over a shorter period saving thousands in interest. Obviously this is a loose analogy, as iPhone Payments are 0%. People that can afford to buy a phone should do so. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Look at the iPhone Upgrade Program as leasing an automobile. Some people simply budget (hopefully) an amount for a phone/automobile for as long as they feel a need to.

The trend is to keep devices longer however. :apple:

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012

Absolutely right. It's so silly. It's the same mentality that is pervasive with many more things than just iPhones. I see full grown adults buying cars as long as it meets the requirement of, "I can afford the monthly payment." Same with homes, credit card debt, and as you said, even PHONES now. Stinking CELL PHONES.

And then they wonder why life sucks and why they can hardly make ends meet every month.

Reactions: Glideslope

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Here’s a fun comparison between the iPhone 11 and the iPhone XS, from John Gruber’s page where he posted the original files. There’s so much detail in the iPhone 11 Night mode shot - the XS one looks like mud. I cropped in a bit and made this side by side:

View attachment 859334

https://daringfireball.net/2019/09/the_iphone_11_and_iphones_11_pro

Nice link.

Aside from the low light mode, this blog also supports the Verge's review that the new bokeh implementation is really struggling to detect edges correctly.

Bokehgate.

The blog also confirms that focus pixels are needed for night mode, which is why previous phones can't have it by software update.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's the exact same price if you paid for the device in full with Applecare (which I always bought anyway). I use my phone every day and the $60 is worth it to me.

I guess it's just a different mindset. I would much rather give someone $1000 today than $60 perpetually (which is what you are getting into with the never ending payments/upgrade). Financing a phone is one of the weirdest things I think we do haha.

junker

macrumors 6502

I'm an XS MAX owner buying/trading in for the 11 Pro Max.

And to the guy wondering why finance - when I could buy outright - because its nicer to pay just a little bit interest free instead of the whole amount up front. I could buy many 11 Max phones, in cash if I preferred but this helps budget money over time. Plus, when next years phone comes around, I can do the same thing.

I will also pay less per month with the upgrade. I was paying $45 per month (approx) for XS Max Pro 256 GB. And will now pay $35 for the 11 Pro Max 512 GB.

I'm upgrading for double the memory (going from 256 to 512), Wifi 6 and the better battery. Also, as an unexpected perk, I will get the Apple TV+ for a year (would've checked it out anyway.) Oh, and the nice camera upgrades.

I was given $600 credit for the phone (represents about how much I've paid in already). Sure I could've sold it on the market myself as I've done countless other iPhones, iPads and Macs, but me being 50 years old, that little bit of extra time for the hassle and general craigslist/facebook marketplace stress, is more than I have time for.

The one big thing I now appreciate is - take care of yourself in the little time we have on this planet. Have fun, enjoy the little things and learn to play. For me, these little gadgets are all of that and more. My 3 year old son has helped me appreciate all of this and so much more again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.