Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chachawpi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
‘They can certainly figure it out, but it doesn’t meet their standards. The bilateral charging available on other phones is slow and poorly implemented.
It’s a gimmick.
It's not a gimmick at all when you are talking about charging devices that have a battery that is at most 1/10th the size of the phone.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I think it would just be a gimmick feature like on the Samsung’s. It’s supposedly really slow as is + draining your phone battery that we usually want to last the longest. Also the fact you’d need to keep your phone still facing down is quite an inconvenience and I’d honestly not even use it, unless someone needed an emergency charge..
As someone who went on vacation but forgot to pack his watch charger, I don’t see this as a gimmick at all

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm a rebel and I challenge the establishment, so I've called it the iPhone X for all these years. iPhone X (not ten, X) sounds SOOOOOOOOOOO much cooler than iPhone 11 or what every other number.

From the name only, it's a hard sell.

You can keep doing it, just say iPhone LL ("ell ell") :D

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
You're leaving out the obvious use case - travel. When I travel, I plug my Samsung Note 10+ into the wall charger and simultaneously use the wireless power share feature to charge my watch and/or Galaxy Buds. It is extremely convenient to not have to carry a 2nd and 3rd charger.

Good point. But traveling lean is one thing. If a second, small charger is going to send you over the weight limit there’s an issue.
Also, piling on each individual item spreads out the applicable charging, therefore making it even slower.
I think overall it needs to mature a little bit more.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wonder which phone this was shot on.

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1171420950597779457?s=21
EEG5JO9U0AAYeSI

Reactions: Dave245

Treebs

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Chicago
We are getting something like the X. Exactly like the X but with better specs and another camera!
Apple needs to get out of the 3 year cycle for every new model. This is by far going to be one of the most boring launches of an iPhone. The innovation seems to be dead at Apple. I’m really not expecting any surprises, only disappointment.

Reactions: Schwarzmaler20

chachawpi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
Good point. But traveling lean is one thing. If a second, small charger is going to send you over the weight limit there’s an issue.
Also, piling on each individual item spreads out the applicable charging, therefore making it even slower.
I think overall it needs to mature a little bit more.
It's not necessarily about traveling lean. Think about traveling internationally. Those American plugs are pretty valuable. How many converters do you want to carry in addition to your chargers?

Reactions: jagolden

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Apple has the audacity to put "by innovation only" on the invitation itself. If all the leaks and rumours are correct, this will be major disappointment and I would question Apple's logic. Either they are becoming disconnected or there is more to come that we don't know about.
Considering that this is also the first year (that I know of) that they have started advertising this event on youtube, I would expect that there is more.

Apple Watch almost no rumours - so big surprise there or just a spec bump?
iPhone - we already know it will be boring unless they reveal a surprise
iPad - boring even if they update iPad Pro (which on the other hand I would welcome as I'm waiting for the structural improvements)
Mac - not happening this event most likely
Apple TV - possible for a surprise but most likely just specs bumps

So, I'm ready to be disappointed but hoping that Apple will surprise us like in the good old days. Otherwise this might be the last time I'm actually watching the keynotes and from this point onward I might just read/watch summary online.

Will Apple really deliver the innovation their invitation seems to 'promise'? Or are they full of themselves?
3 hours and we will find out

Apparently it's going to be about the cameras. I commented on Ben Geskins instagram after he posted a picture of the triple lens camera. He said "Camera. You will see at the keynote."

I think the innovation is going to come in the camera and it's features. A triple lens camera has been done by almost every smartphone maker, BUT Apple usually puts their own spin on things.

Only a few more hours and we will find out.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-10 at 15.18.27.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-10 at 15.18.27.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: D.T. and Freida

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hmm, It’s easy to Photoshop that, especially with the text and stock photos, but I’d question if the 2018 XS will be in Apples lineup, as that would be in direct competition against the latter, which leads me to believe that’s probably not true, but we’ll see shortly.
It’s most likely fake. But I do hope the names are iPhone 11 and iPhone 11R. iPhone Pro just doesn’t sound right and Pro Max is just awful.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Apple needs to get out of the 3 year cycle for every new model. This is by far going to be one of the most boring launches of an iPhone. The innovation seems to be dead at Apple. I’m really not expecting any surprises, only disappointment.

How do you know? you haven't seen the keynote yet. Innovation is not just about design, lets wait and see what happens.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I think the bilateral charging would’ve been really nice add-on feature for the 2019 iPhone, but if it’s obviously not up to Apple’s standards, then it’s a ‘No go.’ [Kinda like the unforeseen Airpower.]
The iPhone battery is not large enough to charge another device like it. It may be able to charge the AirPods.
But thinking about this, Wireless charging is a convenient way to charge, but it's not efficient. There's a 20-25% power loss to charge a device wirelessly. (Don't believe it? Google it!).

Your iPhone battery will age faster as you'll need to recharge it more often. So why not carry a good Power Bank when you know it's going to be a long day away from a conventional power source?

Also, remember that the new iPad Pro's can charge your iPhone and other devices through it's USB-C Port with good efficiency. just get the right cable or adaptor. It's great for emergencies, but I wouldn't make it a habit.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
If there is a 10.2” iPad, I can also see them mentioning the iPad Pro. “We also updated the iPad Pro with a new processor and camera”

I could see that. Get all new iOS devices out before arcade and all of that releases. Then do the Mac stuff next month.
Tim Cook - Ohh and One Less Thing...

No Two-Way Charging on iPhones

or....

"one more thing......prices are going up again"

Reactions: Dave245

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
Apple has the audacity to put "by innovation only" on the invitation itself. If all the leaks and rumours are correct, this will be major disappointment and I would question Apple's logic. Either they are becoming disconnected or there is more to come that we don't know about.
Considering that this is also the first year (that I know of) that they have started advertising this event on youtube, I would expect that there is more.

Apple Watch almost no rumours - so big surprise there or just a spec bump?
iPhone - we already know it will be boring unless they reveal a surprise
iPad - boring even if they update iPad Pro (which on the other hand I would welcome as I'm waiting for the structural improvements)
Mac - not happening this event most likely
Apple TV - possible for a surprise but most likely just specs bumps

So, I'm ready to be disappointed but hoping that Apple will surprise us like in the good old days. Otherwise this might be the last time I'm actually watching the keynotes and from this point onward I might just read/watch summary online.

Will Apple really deliver the innovation their invitation seems to 'promise'? Or are they full of themselves?
3 hours and we will find out

Sounds to me like you're the major disappointment, and you're taking out your resentfulness on a corporation. Good thing it's too successful enough to care.

Reactions: iGeneo

chachawpi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
I don’t get how people forget chargers, and if you do then I guess you won’t be able to use that device. Pretty simple I guess
I imagine a lot of us plug in chargers in our house so that they are out of the way and convenient to use at the same time. If I want to pack my watch and phone charger I have to crawl under my desk and undo my cable management and then re-do all of that work when I get back from my travels. As someone who travels quite frequently, it is much easier to just use my USB-C laptop charger as a universal charger. I combine this with the wireless power sharing feature to also charge devices with small batteries like my watch and wireless earbuds. Until you actually use the feature you have no idea how convenient it is to have.

jonen

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
Didn't even read all the comments, but I'm pumped for the keynote. If everyone else here is being honest with themselves, they are also pumped and will be watching it live. :D

Looking forward to the (hopefully) new Apple Watch Series 5. If they end up changing the band size connectors, it'll give me an easier decision to buy a Series 4.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I could see that. Get all new iOS devices out before arcade and all of that releases. Then do the Mac stuff next month.

or....

"one more thing......prices are going up again"

I think people forget about the new services, it could go one of two ways.

Announce most product updates today and then leave the service updates (pricing release dates and so on) for October

OR announce Apple Watch, iPhone and most services today, leaving the MacBook Pro and iPad for an October event.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I would like to say Apple THANK YOU for saving my money. Smart way to support our economy!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I don’t get how people forget chargers, and if you do then I guess you won’t be able to use that device. Pretty simple I guess
Maybe they travel overnight so rarely (or are so disorganized) that they don't have a charge-my-stuff travel kit?

I have a small multiport USB charger, couple of short lightning cables and a couple short microusb, plus a short Apple Watch charger. If I'm going somewhere overnight I just toss the kit in my bag and I'm good to go. Maybe not worth it for someone that only goes somewhere once a year or so.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.