Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
Im sorry but HOW BLIND CAN YOU GUYS BE-Its the new ipod shuffle-The hole in the case is for the clip, there will still be a ipod nano-just more like a ipod touch mini without the wifi

Yeah, but there is a hole for a 30-pin connector. It's possible that new shuffles switching over to that connector.

Attachments

• nano.PNG
    nano.PNG
    49.9 KB · Views: 512

moglee

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
Or maybe not? Take a look at this:

ip_zx_ipodtouchpeijianxx_22.jpg

ip_zx_ipodtouchpeijianxx_33.jpg

Advertising like this won't come cheap you know ;)

I DON'T GIVE UP SIR - THE SQUARE FORMFACTOR HAS TO SUCCEED --
…and you can see only the front of the Touch.

hmmm - I am wondering if I tease you a little more, will you break into Apples headquarter and shot a photo of the new Touch to convince me?

I hope so - if you will let me know. ;)

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
8GB iPod touch at $149 will replace iPod nano, but can they do it?

then iPod nano can be replaced with iPod touch (Apple make money on Apps and games) may be that is possible.

two variations
cheaper iPod touches with older generations
expensive iPod touches with iPhone 4 component.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Been there...done that....not good.

The current nano form factor is really nice, they just need to up the capacity to 32/64 GB.

And please don't take away the buttons!!! When the device is in a pocket or in the dark, I can still operate my iPod via the buttons.

The worst would be a return to the fatty with a tiny touch screen that is the same size as the end of my finger. That would be the end of the Nano.

Maybe they are trying to force people into the "touch".....hope not.

Agreed. In retrospect, I hope my crappy concept misses the mark entirely.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
A small square one with a tiny screen that would only be useful for track titles and not watching video?

Why would anyone think that is the nano update as opposed to a new shuffle? Along the same lines, I suspect the previous shuffle model hasn't sold that well (no buttons???) and the nano still sells decent numbers. Replacing the shuffle would help those lagging sales, while this would seem like a downgrade to the nano. I could maybe see dropping the nano if they can get the Touch down into the current nano price range and upgrade the shuffle.

Sadly, I think you may be right, but I think it'll be a disaster if they get rid of the Classic and the top of the line iPod becomes something with less storage and twice the price.

You really think they sell many of the classic any more? I don't see how dumping one of the models that probably sells the least could be a disaster, maybe a few lost sales depending on the rest of the line, but most potential classic buyers would probably be fine with another model.

Whatever happened to the idea of "your entire music library in your pocket?"

Has apple ever promoted that idea specifically? Regardless of sizes available there will always be some people who can fit their whole library on whatever model and others who can't fit everything onto even the biggest model. And that second group will get bigger as people have more and more video. That's what smart playlists are for.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
no iPhone 4 quality camera on the touch = no purchase for me. I can hold off using my current one if they don't add that gorgeous camera.

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
That's what smart playlists are for.

Yeah but when you have a business you can not force everyone to go one way. There are some who do want everything with them and playlists do not cut it.

(mind of some have their large library set and are not adding anything more, so your argument of "you'll never have the space as you'll add more is inrevelent" )

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
"Micro" sounds 'not as good' as "nano", because it isn't. Next would be iPod pico.

...or I guess since they skipped micro, they might also skip pico and go to femto, but I think skipping micro was more for marketing/aesthetic reasons.

Thanks for the correction... Yeah I don't think we'll be seeing any iDevices or iPods with micro, pico, femto, atto, zepto, yocto, etc. This is marketing, not particle physics. Not sure what else you call a "very small iPod" other than "nano".

That being said, I revise my earlier predictions... I still think the square case is either fake or, if for iPod, for a new item between the shuffle & nano in terms of size (though maybe greater than nano in price). If the square case is for iPod, I think everyone saying iPod Watch have a great guess!
That Dick Tracy image just nailed it... The dream is finally here!!! *(provided you are in a wifi zone).

I really don't think they would physically grow the shuffle. I don't think the square is the shuffle. If anything, the shuffle will evolve until it is a pill that can be swallowed.. Or inserted into the ear... "shuffle" to me implies "mostly featureless".

The square thing might be called iPod Watch, iPhone nano [EDIT: though that might risk cheapening the iPhone name],... Or "iPod FaceTime". Think about it... iPod=music, Face=wifi video phone, aka FaceTime, and Time=watch/watch form factor.

That thing is gonna need some Apple stereo Bluetooth headphones though. Not having a cord from my wrist to my ears. Don't need the mic on the headphones though... When FaceTiming your mouth would be plenty close to your wrist.

EDIT: And just to clarify, in the context of an iPod FaceTime/iPod Watch/whatever, i still say, as i did earlier, that the shuffle and nano will remain essentially as they are, perhaps with some upgrades/revisions. I'm seeing that square and thinking it replaces neither nano nor shuffle. It's either fake or an entirely new animal. Perhaps it's the "very big new product" (see MR page 2), though why Apple would need new support staff to handle an ipod wifi-videophone watch, i've no idea. Maybe just to handle all the calls from people not understanding how to set up FaceTime (syncing your email address to the iPod in iTunes; and maybe also syncing a list of accepted wifi networks and associated passwords from your touch, iPhone, iPad, laptop, etc. in iTunes) or wondering why they can't get calls "anywhere" (even though the salesperson at the Apple Store told them FaceTime only works in wifi).

Again, don't take this post too seriously... I'm just having fun speculating.

YET ANOTHER EDIT: Maybe iPod FaceTime will be sold with standard earbuds--basically a larger touch version of the 2nd gen shuffle that you clip-on or throw in your pocket--and/or bundled with an "Apple Watch Kit" (also sold separately) containing the wrist band and stereo bluetooth earbuds. This would enable Apple to lower the entry price-point, so that maybe the device wouldn't completely break the bank for, say, kids and teens... they could just start with the clip-on/pocketwatch version of iPod FaceTime. Don't worry, soon enough most will upgrade and get the wrist watch kit w/ stereo bluetooth earbuds. *cha-ching* for Apple.

billysea

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
I personally don't like the current Nano. It's too big for what it does. I love the 3rd generation iPod Nano the best. The current one feels like a step backward and unnecessarily/artificially enlarged just so people can hold it more comfortably, but I much rather have a smaller form factor than just to 'hold it comfortably'.

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
I personally don't like the current Nano. It's too big for what it does. I love the 3rd generation iPod Nano the best. The current one feels like a step backward and unnecessarily/artificially enlarged just so people can hold it more comfortably, but I much rather have a smaller form factor than just to 'hold it comfortably'.

Maybe because you have small hands?

I like the 4th generation nano. The colors are nice and its just the right size. Ya know not everything needs to be super small.

bmturney

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
Doubt its a new Nano... a new shuffle is more likely

I seriously doubt that they are going to change the Nano to be like the shuffle (in terms of form factor). The more likely scenario would be a new shuffle with a tiny screen on it... my guess is (if these pics are legit) is that this is a case for a new shuffle, not a nano...

just doesn't make sense after all the hoopla around the Nano getting a camera, and ability to record video/sound, etc... that they would shrink it down to a size that would be unusable as a video recording device.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I'd bet a lot of money that the new shuffle is the stamp sized touch screen, and the new nano is similar-looking, all screen, but at the same current wide screen shape.

If you can imagine it, it will be a stunning device.

Darlo770

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
New Shuffle more likely, considering Steve Job's tweet: "Sent from my iPod Shuffle" hint hint. But then again, fitting WiFi inside that thing? :rolleyes:

Dave77

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
Well it does make sense. Why add bunch of features to only get rid of them?

Why does everyone want an iphone nano? You mean a phone that will just do phone calls? Like a old flip phone or one of thise pre paid ones. I highly dopbut jobs will ever go that route kid.

Why not ? Remember the first ipod classic or are you far too young to even know that no one at that time ever thought hell come up with nanos, shuffle and all but it did happen and it worked perfectly .Why wouldnt Apple try to do the same thing with the iphone seems just ridiculous.
It will happen my friend earlier than you think.All cell phones have different
models i dont see Apple staying with just one model forever.It doesnt make any sense at all.

Dave77

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
Why not ? Remember the first ipod classic or are you far too young to even know that no one at that time ever thought hell come up with nanos, shuffle and all but it did happen and it worked perfectly .Why wouldnt Apple try to do the same thing with the iphone seems just ridiculous.
models i dont see Apple staying with just one model forever.It doesnt make any sense at all.

Also if you believe in proper marketing logic its useless just to cater for a bunch of rich kids ..but cheaper wont mean crap but still a great iphone nano will be happening maybe not this year but most probably by next year.

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.

Yes I remember it. I'm 20. (if you do the math my friend that would make me 11 at the time ;) ) whats ridiculous is how you kids just asume "oh it would be so freaken cool if there was a iPhone nano" it just sounds really silly

Just because every other cell phone manufacturer has 50 million models does not mean Apple will. Remember we are talking about a cell phone. Not an ipod. Two totally different markets.

Now if there ever was one and you kids kids are right it wont be that small unless you want to use Apples crappy ear buds and mic. Remember people want to make calls too, not buy a bunch of accessories just to make a simple phone call.

Just remember if your going to make a phone it has to be functional not just shinny materials.

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
This is what the new ipod shuffle and nano might look like-and yes i am the original creator.
If you like these check back on youtube; Mastersirus1985 for a video/new/rumors to whats to come on Sept 1st.

2010iPodShuffleMockup.png

bob.png

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Maybe the Shuffle will be know more and the nano and shuffle with become one?
That's what I'm thinking too... I think they're going to streamline the lineup and merge Shuffle+Nano and Classic+Touch. iPods are yesterday's news and more and more people are getting that functionality from their smartphones, iPhone or other.

So, my guess: There will be an even larger capacity Touch than the current one (possibly those 80 GB mistakenly associated with the iPhone 4), and they'll scrap the Classic.

As for the Nano and the Shuffle, I think they went too far with the pea-sized buttonless Shuffle and that the "big small screen" Nano is too gimmicky, nobody's going to watch video on that stamp sized screen anyway.

So instead they'll merge them into a square about the size of two Shuffles, and they'll put a small 2-row OLED display on it for title/artist.

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
excellent i guess this will also include a voice calling option and be called iphone nano

Alright David, tell me something. How are you to make call from that? The mic would be far away when you have it up near your ear and I don't think people would want to keep bring it up and down.

and only other option would be to use bluetooth headset but then again thats forcing people to use one and you kids need to understand that forcing people to do something is not a good way to run a business

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
That's what I'm thinking too... I think they're going to streamline the lineup and merge Shuffle+Nano and Classic+Touch. iPods are yesterday's news and more and more people are getting that functionality from their smartphones, iPhone or other.

So, my guess: There will be an even larger capacity Touch than the current one (possibly those 80 GB mistakenly associated with the iPhone 4), and they'll scrap the Classic.

As for the Nano and the Shuffle, I think they went too far with the pea-sized buttonless Shuffle and that the "big small screen" Nano is too gimmicky, nobody's going to watch video on that stamp sized screen anyway.

So instead they'll merge them into a square about the size of two Shuffles, and they'll put a small 2-row OLED display on it for title/artist.

Dont get me wrong I still think there will be an iPod touch/nano/and shuffle...and a classic (just get a price drop this year to 199)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.