LG Display Could Supply OLED Displays for This Year's 'iPhone X Plus'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Keniutek macrumors 6502

Keniutek

That's fair.
    Samsung will have to join the oled tv game asap.

2. jdillings macrumors 68000

Samsung was already in the OLED TV game and lasted only a year. They got out because their way of producing large OLED panels yielded poor results. LG is so far ahead in producing large OLED panels that Samsung will never catch up and that is why Samsung are trying to confuse consumers with the QLED nonsense.

3. AgentAnonymous macrumors regular

AgentAnonymous

Display quality has absolutely nothing to do with brightness. That's an independent variable.

4. the-msa macrumors 6502

Apparently current pixel 2xl models are unaffected by those issues, or at least the issue is greatly reduced to the point where it doesn't matter. That's just a comparison I've seen by a user that recently bought a new one and compared it to a launch model, so make of it what you will, but he either got lucky or lg fixed the issue.

5. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

Then why is the iPhone X so dim?

6. ValO macrumors 65816

I really don’ t notice that. I think it is rather bright. Much brighter than previous iphones.

7. joderme macrumors member

I hope they do get back in it. LG OLEDs are very nice indeed. They do, however, still have some very noticeable issues. My set in 2016 had pretty severe vignetting. My 2 sets from 2017 have yellowing (left side of the screen on white) and banding on near gray content. I am overall pretty happy with them. Would be even happier without the yellowing. Also competition is good.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    I think they are still affected. Every one I've seen in person has blue tint issues. The 2 I had certainly did. One of them had a thin line through the display and both had some slight banding. I am happily on the Pixel 2 now.

8. ValO macrumors 65816

Apple did invest in LG to make a new fab/production line, and since they did not use a samsung reference design for the iphone x, it is all about the quality of the manufacturing process and not up to which design/technique lg uses now.
    My guess is that LG will be manufacturing an oled display for the x plus according to the same principles/tech/patents that samsung uses for the current x instead of the designed by LG pixel 2 screen.
    So big differences? I don’ t think so. It is all about the yields and the quality of the new machines.

9. joderme macrumors member

Supposedly Google invested in LG OLED tech too... We shall see.

10. Eagle1337 macrumors member

You are perfectly right, my bad. I read one review on a news site, and i can see after checking displaymate that the dudes on the news page only compared the "peak brightness on portion of the screen", which i assume does not make sense in day to day usage, there the "full screen brightness" would make more sense.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2018 ---
    I think yes, as i was informed the peak brightness where samsung wins is only "portion" of the screen, so maybe Apple did indeed lower that peak brightness (as it also doesnt make sense to have a really bright part of the screen?) to prevent burnin. i think you are right about this, maybe apple was just smarter to have a upper limit on nits to prevent damage to the screen with long term use, but still keeping a nice bright full screen experience

11. ValO macrumors 65816

No, they used current LG production lines and used the same tech/patents lg used in the v30. Both have issues.

If apple will have lg manufacture pentile oleds to the same spec as they did samsung, it all depends of the quality of the manufacturing process lg uses.

12. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

If the X Plus comes out, the X will be the largest “small” iPhone ever made. Call it what you will. I call it bulky.

13. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

Compared it side by side? The n=1 I have looked at is demonstrably dimmer than a 6+, 6s+, and 7+. The nature of the display is different certainly, but it’s definitely not as bright.

14. ValO macrumors 65816

Numbers say otherwise. And my impression comparing the 2 also

15. cmaier macrumors G4

They’re all 625 cd/m2 (this generation). iPhone 7 was around 705. So X is a bit dimmer than last generation. iPhone 6 was 500 cd/m2.

Of course, having different screen sizes (m2) will affect how your mind perceives brightness, too.

16. The Game 161 macrumors Pentium

The Game 161

Sounds like an issue with that unit

iPhone X is far brighter than any previous iPhone and by some distance.

17. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

Whether the LG panels are truly up to Apple's standards or not they don't really have a choice but to use them. You can't sell a device you can't make, and right now Apple depends entirely on its direct competition to supply the panels in the vast numbers they will need for these X models. It's an interesting predicament that Apple is in when it comes to the sourcing some of their important components.

18. cmaier macrumors G4

Based on apple’s own reported specs the X is less bright than the iPhone 7. 625 cd/m2 vs 705.

19. Baymowe335 macrumors 65816

They iPhone X has a brighter screen than the Note 8 when using full screen brightness. Tested and verified.

Check your facts because you’re quoting localized brightness which is small parts of the screen.

20. kdarling, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    That report has been often misread, greatly because it presented info in a very disjointed way, and people don’t understand all the measurements.

For example, the “full screen brightness” measurement only applies to a useless all-white display.

It’s measured with auto-brightness on, which on the Note increases the brightness far beyond all the other measurements (which are at manual settings).

It also depends on the average picture level (APL), which at a low amount is the “small parts” mentioned on the report. The higher the APL, the lower the brightness.

Going from low to high APL, the X gives about 804-603 nits. For apps like Safari at 80% APL, that works out to be about 665 nits.

Going from low to high APL, the Note 8 gives about 1250-560 nits. For apps like Chrome or the phone at 80% APL, that works out to be about 688 nits.

So in real life usage, they’re about the same.

21. Baymowe335 macrumors 65816

People see the nits numbers high level and think the Note screen is twice as bright. Wrong.

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Correct. But people also read that the Note's highest nits is "only for a small part of the screen" and then mistakenly think that means it's not also pretty bright for larger parts.

But it is.

23. pbonitati macrumors newbie

pbonitati

--- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2018 ---
    Let’s hope this isn’t true. Their phone PLED’s suck big time. They are at least 3 generations behind Samsung. They truly look horrible.

24. Eagle1337 macrumors member

Check your own facts before quoting, or, at least, read through the forum. (or look bit up on this page..)

:rolleyes:

jeez