LG Display Could Supply OLED Displays for This Year's 'iPhone X Plus'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2018.

1. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

I see problems with both LG and Samsung OLED screens. I know the colors are truer and brighter, but I honestly don't think those two features are worth the OLED problems. Sounds like a "Bag O' Hurt" to me. I'd rather have a more reliable and longer lasting LCD. But then again, I'm not a typical customer. I don't spend $1000 every year on a new phone.

2. BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

It's not just top speed but also lower power consumption from more-efficient RF.

3. BugeyeSTI macrumors 65816

BugeyeSTI

Comparisons between the two manufacturers screen will be inevitable and I'm sure it will spark controversy. The screen on my X is fabulous but, I’m confident Apple won’t allow inferior screens to make it into production. LG has an opportunity to raise their bar and offer another choice for oled screens to all phone manufacturers. I for one hope they do because it will promote competition and lower costs for everyone interested in using the tech.

4. akodakmoment macrumors newbie

akodakmoment

This is definitely way off topic, but why not use more appealing wallpapers in mockups? Is this mockup straight from Apple (Just a blown up version to represent the + size)? Am I the only one that thinks this wallpaper is ugly?

5. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Not in the TV market as well.

6. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Ah thanks, we’ll that explains it then lol... yeah not sure of these LG mobile OLED screens??

7. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

Uh oh. I’ve had them since I was 10. The advent of triptans set me free. I might be buying an iPhone 8+, too!

8. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

After seeing the Pixel 2 XL screen and how blue it is, I won’t be getting the plus. I’ll stick to the one with the Samsung screen.

9. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I’d rather they stick with Samsung after the Pixel XL and v30 debacle.

10. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

11. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

Now im wondering IF Samsung is the one that not allowing both Google and Apple to use the bigger OLED screen. LG is just bad when it comes to mobile screen.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Apple probably didn’t want to do a bigger X this year. It was their first venture into oled so they wouldn’t have wanted to spread their manufacturing resources thinly over two oled devices.

Also Apple love holding things back so they can make more money. Why release everything now when they can slowly roll it out and make maximum profits.

13. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Bulky? Doesn’t seem bulky at all..maybe if you put a massive case on it

14. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Maybe if your coming from the 4.7 inch iPhone it might seem bulky.

15. Keniutek macrumors 6502

Keniutek

You sure about that? LG Oled TV's are better than Sasmung lcd's, hands down.

16. GrumpyMom Suspended

GrumpyMom

For what it’s worth the display never set off my migraines. And I get both regular migraines (headaches) and variant kinds (seizures, stroke-like effects on my speech, visual difficulties). No, the display triggered none of that for me. My eyes just felt very sore, gritty and tired and my vision kind of pulsed a bit. Like I got little distortions in my sight. I’ve been away from the display for two days now and all of that has stopped.

Oh, for whatever reasons my Samsung S8+ display does not have this effect on my eyes but one of my other Samsungs did. I think it was my S7 Edge but I don’t remember for sure. Because of the Note 7 recall I ended up temporarily owning a lot of Samsung phones.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I find it interesting how good LG's OLED panels are for their TVs, but it seems reading online that there LG displays for the Pixel 2 XL seem to suffer some quality issues. On the other hand, Samsung has very good OLED panels for the Galaxy series, but they're not in the TV industry with OLED yet.

18. xxray macrumors 6502a

I’m trusting Apple to ensure the displays are high quality, despite LG’s not so great phone OLED displays so far. I would love for this to mean that the X Plus could come at a lower price to customers compared to if Samsung produced it, but it still needs to be as high quality of a display of the X, if not better.

19. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Apples and Oranges.

LCD to LCD - Samsung wins

LG OLED is a different animal.

20. GrumpyMom Suspended

GrumpyMom

I know Apple will set very high standards for calibration, but if the very wide variances I and many, many other forum members have reported seeing hold true for the next generation, there will still be a significant “display quality lottery”.

OLED displays have not yet had the chance to mature under Apple’s oversight as LCD displays have. It’s rather a shame that the market pressure to move from LCD to OLED comes at a time when Apple’s LCD displays are practically perfected.

I could say the same for Touch ID. iPhone 7 Plus has been the first IPhone for which Touch ID has worked flawlessly for me most of the time. And now they’re moving to Face ID, which fortunately works quite well out of the starting gate, but still has some issues to be worked out. I wish Apple would not be stubborn and would continue to incorporate Touch ID into iPhones. And that they continue to use the excellent quality LCD panels for their “budget” iPhones, rather than go to an inferior spec.

21. vannix macrumors member

PWM GO AWAY!
    I hope LG wil be so good in their OLED production finally ditching this awful "tech", so I'll finally be able to get a beautiful iPhone notch next gen

22. GrumpyMom Suspended

GrumpyMom

It’s my understanding from what I’ve read and discussions I’ve had with other forum members who did research that pwm is just a a part of the method used to dim the display and that it is used in LG displays, too.

23. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Or you could wait to see how LG screens look before the plus is even out

Besides Apple will make it their own so it’s not as simple as LG just making the panels.

24. PickUrPoison macrumors 65816

I don’t take really take issue with the wallpaper but this Plus mock-up MR is using is ridiculous. Yes, it’s just a blown up version of the non-Plus. That’s why the bezel around the entire phone, and the notch, is shown larger than the real product will be.

Neither the notch nor the bezel width will be as large as shown on the Plus mock-up. Rather, they’ll be the same as the smaller phone.

25. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U