Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Lets see how Face ID fares with makeup (day) and without makeup (bedtime). Lets hear it from the ladies.

The buzzfeed video is a woman and she seemed to have the phone for a week. She notes it didn’t work well with certain sunglasses and when she was in bed yawning haha otherwise no issues.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm not so sure on Nilay's Face ID review. Lots of possible variables, but even from the video he looks like he is trying to use the phone down past his hip, arm fully extended, while outside. Seems like he is trying to push the worst possible conditions (near vertical angle to his face, direct sunlight, barely any eye contact.) I understand that might be how he used his phone with Touch ID, but I'll wait to see what others say, and see how it works for myself.

Reactions: the future and MLVC

CeezNYC

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Why? Glowing reviews. The most critical one still called it, “The best iPhone ever made.”

I think we see glowing differently. lol

I see people who look bored reviewing it and struggling to find something that really interests them about the phone. (Animoji).

For $1,000+, that concerns me.

Reactions: Awesom-0

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
That bezel. That notch. £1000! Lucky the competition hasn't caught up yet with anything better for 25% cheaper otherwise .... oh no. What am I saying? They did. A year ago. Still. At least it looks more modern than the 8/Plus so that's justification enough to spend £250 more this year. Good. Wait til my real friends see it, readers. :)

"Whaddya think my real friends?"
"Yeah? What?"
"Me new phone. Look?"
"Oh yeah. Very good. What is it an S7?"
"Ha ha. Hardly. This the new iPhone X .. er ... Ten"
"Looks like a 2 year old Samsung"
"Luddite! This is the very latest ttechnology and it's here. In my hand"
" Oh right Whats that then?"
" Face ID. Dot projector thing. Er .. front camera notch. Animoji. OLED bezeless screen"
"Face ID? Right. Cough. Notch? It's got bezels. And OLED is old tech. Was it cheaper then?"
"No way. Not for the latest tech mate. £1000"
"Yeah. Right. You're not joking are you?"
"I'm deadly serious. Bezelless screen? Edge to edge mate. I can unlock it simply by holding it. Then swivelling it to face me and in the right light ... it unlocks when I look at it directly. And I can send funny cartoon faces to ..."
" It's got a bezel. AND a notch. It's not the latest tech. Kiddie emojis. You've been done,son"
"Well, that just shows how much you know then doesn't it? I've already got used to the notch and silver edging contrasting well against its Space Grey casing this but I'm wasting my time trying to explain to you Android ignoranamuses"

Honestly. Some people, eh!

Reactions: Awesom-0

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The buzzfeed video is a woman and she seemed to have the phone for a week. She notes it didn’t work well with certain sunglasses and when she was in bed yawning haha otherwise no issues.

She doesn't wear makeup though.

sub-buzz-31807-1509325915-1.png

Reactions: KONVICTED

lah

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
I think these should be really labeled as hot takes and first impressions. It seems they were given the phone 24hrs ago and there is a mad rush to be the first to publish. I hope actual reviews will come out a week later.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I think we see glowing differently. lol

I see people who look bored reviewing it and struggling to find something that really interests them about the phone. (Animoji).

For $1,000+, that concerns me.
It’s a phone

It’s not going to make you lunch

It has a new face ID, better camera, smaller body and stunning screen. Features I personally have wanted for years

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
I think these should be really labeled as hot takes and first impressions. It seems they were given the phone 24hrs ago and there is a mad rush to be the first to publish. I hope actual reviews will come out a week later.

Depends on the publication. Some had much longer it appears.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
these folks are basically just regurgitating the same BS crap over and over again, as a macrumors reader I am not hearing anything that I didn't already know... How these people get so many hits is beyond me, who sits there and obsesses over the same thing over and over...

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Better yet, it seems impossible to trick. I had a set of identical twins come into the office on Monday to put the facial recognition system to the test. One of the twins programmed his face into Face ID, allowing him to unlock the phone with a glance. His twin brother however was locked out - he couldn't even trick the phone while wearing a hat and sunglasses. The two siblings told me that even some of their family members can't tell them apart, yet Face ID was able to map a face accurately enough to tell the difference.

Called it.

Well, they are obviously not identical then are they.

Reactions: simonmet

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I know what I'll be doing for my morning :D

So far it seems things are looking positive for the iPhone X.

Though the complaints about the notch is not surprising and I still think that's a mistake by Apple.

In the verge's review they talked about how the animoji is the major feature - kind of said imo. Its a cute little feature that some may enjoy but a major feature - I'm not so sure
Yes major feature. I have to agree with The Verge on that point. Feels weird agreeing with The Verge on something. :confused:

Reactions: simonmet

zhandri

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Have you seen how 3rd party apps are laid out on the new iPhone?
so? and that's apple's fault? the apps are gonna get updated and look just fine. that's like saying the 5 and the 6 were **** when they came out. complete nonsense.

Squirreladd

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2016
As expected. TouchID was also inconsistent and slow at first. I expect FaceID to improve considerably with next years model.

Yes that is true but this is a different scenario. FaceID is replacing an established method. TouchID was the introduction of something new. If touchID failed who cared you did what you did for five plus years before. FaceID fails well you don't have the fall back of touchID you had for the last four generations that has gotten progressively better.

Whit1906

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
I went straight to iMore. I love how Rene is both excited, as well as critical of some aspects, and, is one of the most educated with regards to context of the current market. He has used Samsung, Google, and other phones, and knows the extensive history of iPhones.

Drives me nuts reading an editorial, and they leave out apple’s past failures, Rene is aware of them and doesn’t blow the little things out of perportion for click bait. Not really interested in the Verge, and some of the others, somewhat for what @maflynn pointed out.

The IMore review is the most comprehensive and useful review I have read so far. Nice job

Reactions: zhandri

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Well, they are obviously not identical then are they.

They are to a human eye, yes. But as you know, human eyes don't perfectly distinguish minor differences, like twins for example. The difference is far deeper on the skin and other little things that only computer vision may be able to detect.

CentralOffice

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Face ID is inconsistent. That's what I keep hearing. That's why I didn't pre-order this year and that's why I'll wait. Maybe until the Xs phone next year. Production problems with the parts that make up Face ID that resulted in production problems with the overall production of the phone. Not surprising that there are reviewers having problems with it. Hopefully they get it it perfected by next year, or succeed in putting fingerprint ID under the screen by then.

There's a Mashable article by Lance Ulanoff that goes inside the production of iPhone X and Apple seems to be all in on FaceID, so I would be surprised if Apple revisited Touch ID under screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.