Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Angelo was extremely rude and all of his responses were non-answers.

I want ad-free, quality news to be easily available to the masses. The price point seems good, the emphasis on interactive quality and frequent updates is in line with the new digital age, but the Q&A session made me lose my enthusiasm for the launch. I'd like to see what other news companies follow suit in the future, but Angelo's defensive, vague responses make me feel like he's not confident in his product or he doesn't understand it.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Do you buy newspapers or magazines? all the content in them can be found FREE scattered around the internet too. let's end all magazines and newspapers.!!!

Where would quality journalism come from if journalists couldn't be paid. Do you think it is free to send journalists to Cairo and cover the stories in Egypt, or anywhere? You will always be able to find stories for free, it is the very nature of the web. But an organized, interactive format that allows me NOT to search feeds and NOT bounce around the WWW trying to search for my news, I'll take it. And I believe the people out researching these stories for me deserve to make a reasonable living, as do I for what I do.

What is it with the duality of America? Not enough jobs, give me work, wages are too low - but hey, I want everything for free. No one should be paid to research and deliver the news I so think I deserve . . . .

14 cents a day, if that really is too much for your finances, then you really have far greater concerns than what ever may be the day's headline. That's probably the cost in gas to start most of our cars before going to work. Work that we expect to be paid for.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

99¢ is the killer price for an app, and I think it will be for quality content also. This has lots of potential.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Obviously, content/editorial slant is of great concern to people. However, there are multiple news outlets to choose from in this regard to so the choice is ours from where we consume.

I think the great thing here is that this will foster innovation in the media world. The only profitable print/subscription magazine/newspaper right now is the Economist. Everyone else is struggling to make money on subscriptions.

I believe harmonization of a good user experience and compelling content is worth paying for. Only time will tell if this is a success.

Twenty5

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
What only attracts me and differentiates the daily from other available publications on the iPad now is its subscription service. Eddie Cue hinted us by saying that more publications will be able to adopt Apple's new in-app subscription model very soon and told us to wait for an official announcement (perhaps at the iPad 2 event?) . Once that happens I can see the daily losing relevance. the daily isn't revolutionary; to me it's just a fancier and prettier way to look at news on a tablet. And that has been done before.

Ozkr16

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; es-es) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

(first week free by Verizon)

Loyalty4Life

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2006

I want ad-free, quality news to be easily available to the masses. The price point seems good, the emphasis on interactive quality and frequent updates is in line with the new digital age, but the Q&A session made me lose my enthusiasm for the launch. I'd like to see what other news companies follow suit in the future, but Angelo's defensive, vague responses make me feel like he's not confident in his product or he doesn't understand it.

Was Angelo the one on our very right? Mustache and gray hair? I 100% agree with you.

Ozkr16

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; es-es) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Lol... I was seeing it on my iPod touch... Lol

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Already downloaded. Thanks Verizon for the free 2 week trial. Impressed by first 5 minutes with it. Slick interface. Clearly the first news App made specifically for the iPad and touch. Nice :) Beats the heck out of feeds IMO

Ozkr16

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011

I saw it on my iPod touch... Lol ;-)

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
IMO, the masses are not ready to pay for their daily news. I think they're fighting a long, uphill battle here. They should give it away for at least the first week. Try and get people hooked.

Agreed. It will have to provide a hook to grab people. That isn't hard to do in this media-government-propaganda era, but will TD be smart and brave enough to do it?

Print media doesn't reflect the majority of people in America anymore. It doesn't captive the average American anymore. It's easy to see why. Sales prove all print media caters or appeals to a tiny minority. There's a large opening for possible success.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Good Timing

I have to wonder if Murdoch - and Apple - timed this so as to coincide with the upcoming paywall at the New York Times.

I've been a huge fan of the NYT iPad App. Its been my "go to" app for reading news - especially since it lets you store and read stories when your away from all that wifi goodness.

But if the rumors are true - NYT plans on charging iPad owners MORE than casual web visitors to their site.

There is a huge difference between The Dailys 99 cents a week model - and the NYT's $20+ per month. I hope someone at the NYT reads this before they finalize a pricing model.

Like a lot of other commenters - I remain skeptical, if not downright suspicious, of any News Corp. property. Fox News has done a great deal to "poison the well" for independent news consumers. Or frankly, anyone who isn't a right-wing nutjob.

But I'll give The Daily a shot. If Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin somehow manage to appear on the Editorial page - it gets the heave ho. But if the news it provides is halfway decent - AND the NY Times doesn't get its pricing model in order - then they've got a good shot at winning my paid-news business.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
LOL @ the anti-Fox News rage. What's the matter, don't you guys get enough left-wing bias from CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, NYT, Newsweek, Time, and on and on that you have to gripe about the sole right-wing outlet? :p

Again, the 'liberal media' meme was a deliberate political invention of the 70's. Does not, and has never existed. Its corporate media, thru and thru.
There is no one as far left on any of the 'liberal' sources you site as the ilk of Beck and O'Reilly are on the right. For that to be the case, Noam Chomsky or Castro would have to have a nationally syndicated show.

And FOX 'news' viewers consistently rate as the FACTUALLY most misinformed of all information consumers.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I honestly do not understand why the old fashioned model of newspapers that is going digital (and still does not understand that the news they are publishing is already available 0sec for free on the Internet without iPad) is getting so much attention. They are certainly not the first to deliver the news this way, and in my opinion I am hoping it IS because of a milestone in newspaper history. But despite a digital form it is not really worth so much attention. Especially when the articles I read about this are sending me one unified message: Pay and pay constantly, or else it's not worth it ..

Good journalism is what makes news worth it. And yes, I am willing to pay for that, but I am not willing to pay for an app, and then pay for a subscription, and then get ads most likely and then do more in-app payments - which will all most likely go up, not down.

Wake me up later, I just can not find a reason to get excited about this.

Sorry for being so negative about it.

<jazzhands> A fancy media rich rss reader, whoo

grapemac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Angelo was extremely rude and all of his responses were non-answers... Angelo's defensive, vague responses make me feel like he's not confident in his product or he doesn't understand it.

I agree completely. 'Defensive' is the only way to describe the editor.

There was nothing in that Q&A session that sparked confidence that these guys know what they're doing. They may (or may not) have made a fancy app, and I'm sure they're good at making money, but I don't trust for a second that they actually KNOW what they're making nor who it's for.

Most every 'answer' ignored the initial question, Murdoch's in particular. He's clearly just in it for the money without understanding it.

"Everyone!". Cop-out answer.
"I've tried some of the games...". Cop-out answer and an absolute travesty of an attempt at humour to distract from the fact he knows sweet FA about the medium he's launching this thing on.

It's during these Q&As that I wish the reporters would press the guys on stage for more specific answers. There was only one guy that seemed to do that, though I can't remember which site he's from.

uraniumwilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2007
Again, the 'liberal media' meme was a deliberate political invention of the 70's. Does not, and has never existed. Its corporate media, thru and thru.
There is no one as far left on any of the 'liberal' sources you site as the ilk of Beck and O'Reilly are on the right. For that to be the case, Noam Chomsky or Castro would have to have a nationally syndicated show.

And FOX 'news' viewers consistently rate as the FACTUALLY most misinformed of all information consumers.

Amen.

I wonder if this will be a download and a one star review?

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Very slick indeed. The uses of images is excellent. Dynamic zooms on some images as you swipe to the page. Rotate the iPad to go into an image gallery - well done on the "Snowed Under" story. Thought was clearly used in image capture and presentation throughout the App.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA

well he answered this one:
Q: Political tone of The Daily?
A: Angelo: We believe this a new era, and we want a new brand and a new voice. In terms of our editorial page, we're patriotic. We believe in free ideas, and free people. In terms of specific issues, read our editorial pages. You'll be surprised.

well, i'll give it a fair shot. but if it turns out to be a shallow biased version of boring political rants then I'll move on. If it's high quality articles with clearly separated opinionated editotrials I'm ok..

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
lol @ the anti-fox news rage. What's the matter, don't you guys get enough left-wing bias from cnn, msnbc, abc, cbs, nbc, nyt, newsweek, time, and on and on that you have to gripe about the sole right-wing outlet? :p

here's what i do: I watch the news, recognize and filter the bias (right or left) inherent in all reporting, and make my own decisions based on the facts and my own values, apart and separate from the philosophies and world views pushed on me by human reporters with human biases.

It's what mature, intelligent people do.

+1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.