Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
In light of sad recent events -

Gerard Houllier has spoken out about how Marc-Vivien Foe was very supportive of him when he took ill back in 2001 and insists he's distraught about his death.

Liverpool manager Houllier was speaking in the aftermath of Foe's shock death on Thursday and, clearly moved, said: "Everyone at Liverpool is distraught and are thoughts are with his wife and children. Personally I knew him very well. We were on the same plane from Manchester to Paris for the Confederations Cup and spent two hours together.

"Marc was a very, very nice lad and he was very supportive to me when I had my health problems. I am devastated by the news. The whole of football is in mourning and we'll miss him as a player and as a man."

I'm sure I speak for all Liverpool fans that our hearts are with the Foe's Family, friends and Man City fans at this moment. You'll Never Walk Alone

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
I'm jumping in a little late on this one, but my favorite club is Juventus (as if my name doesn't give it away). I tend to watch a lot of English football as well and became an avid Man City fan in the mid '90s. I still am too.

It's nice to see some footy fans on here.

Oh and don't knock MLS, it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Man City...mid 90's...Britpop...anything to do with Oasis was it? ;) Only reason I can think of for being a fan of the better half of manchester round that time, apart from being a Manc yourself of course, which you don't seem to be.

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
Nope, I'm not an Oasis fan. Never was, never will be.

I was in college at the time and a number of people were all ManUre fans so I went in the opposite direction. I'm glad I did too.

I saw Newcastle play here in the States a couple years ago. They put on a decent show, even though they lost.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
'arry Kewell is expected to complete a £7 million move to Liverpool within the next 24 hours after snubbing last-ditch bids from Manchester United and Chelsea.

The transfer saga looks set to reach a conclusion by Tuesday at the latest, with the Australian winger opting to join his boyhood heroes.

Kewell, who has turned his back on the offer of becoming Leeds' highest-paid player on £48,000-per-week, has apparently already agreed a £60,000-per-week package at Anfield.

The player is to 'reveal' his choice to a TV station in his homeland on Tuesday July 8. He said: "I have been speaking with them (the club concerned) for over six months and everything just seems to be right for me to go there."

I've liked this player for ages...seems so long ago that Leeds were flying high with all the england u21 stars and top young gubs like Kewell. IMHO he is far better than Duff and been on the scene longer and also played champions leauge football..anyone remember how he played when leeds reached the 1/4 finals? He's also a lfc fan while duff is a manc i think. Just hope he slams in a goal or two vs Chelsea on the opening day...and hoope they dont sign too many top players before we play them. The only week area i see now is possibly right wing, but Diouf was playing well at the end of last season, Le Tallac's comming and murphy was our best player last season...hes not a winger but i remember arsenal doing so well with only one winger (overmars) and parlour on the right, who's hardly a flying winger.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I think he'd be an excellent addition, providing the width we lack on occasion, a fine player.

Any thoughts on the rumour that McManaman might be moving back to merseyside?

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
Original poster
i'm well 'appy that 'arry's coming to us, i've always liked him, and he seems like the osrt of lad that'd be proud to wear the red shirt, although the wages bill kinda contradicts that, but hey, what player isn't like that these days?

he'll do well, i'm pretty sure of that, and we as a team will do well too...just gotta get this damn consistency thing sorted...

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
There a glitch with the Kewell transfer, he's seeking a severence payment from Leeds as he didn't ask to be transfer listed, which sounds a bit greedy to me. Word is he'll announce at the end of the week, but there is a concensus that it'll be the 'Pool who sign him.

Rumour has it that McManaman is going to Man City...:p

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Originally posted by WinterMute
Rumour has it that McManaman is going to Man City...:p

noooooo, damn, well better the blue half than ManUre eh.

i'll have to have a word with jimmy at anfield, see what the latest is.

oh, and I'm now one of the "directors" of the Liverpool FC New York Supporters Club :D and we are recognised by LFC too, we have tickets to the ManUre game in November already secured...should be flying over for that one hopefully.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Kewell signed today for 5 Million. an un-named side offered 9 mill, but Kewell said he'd sit out his contract if he didnt get his way. Turns out Leeds claim that of the 5 Mill, They will only get 3, the other two goes to Harry...Bit unfair if you ask me with the dire straights they are in and Kewell's 60 grand a week wages...as if he needs the 2 million. Kinda puts a dampner on things, but hey, 5 millions a great deal for us, leaves 12 million for the likes of Cisse or others...and even if Harry's been bit of a money grabber to a certain extent, at least he turned down more money to go to LFC...so we have pulling power and its hell of a lot better than signing Bowyer. Thats the only transfer that I've ever been dead against and couldn't have supported even if he scored a hat trick vs manure.

But now with Kewell, thats Finnan and Kewell that turned down Man 'we can sign anyone' united for LFC....would love to see our favorite drunken scotsmans face now.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Liverpool are my 2nd favourite team, but only because i resisted the temptation to support the strongest team in Europe at the time of puberty - the obligatory time to nail your football colours to the mast. As a born supporter of the underdog, I primarily follow Leicester City, who have been my team ever since Liverpool beat them in an FA Cup tie when I was about 10.

I think the only statistic that Leicester has to eclipse Liverpool, and every other team probably in the world, is their pedigree for goalkeepers. Clinging desparately to the past, remember Gordon Banks and a novice called Peter Shilton? I guess Mark Wallington, Casey Keller and Tim Flowers were hardly in the class of One Eye and Mr Hairdo, but still they have all played a few games for their country.

Oh yeah, and Gary Lineker wasnt a bad export either.

Roll on another flash in the pan lucrative Premiership season. My prediction for two of the impending defeats is LCFC 1- LFC 2, and LFC 2 - LCFC 0.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I read an interview with Smicer today, he thinks that Kewell's signing signals the end of his spell at Anfield, he thinks there's no room for him with the new additions.

All I can say is YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS :D

About bloody time, Smicer is the most consistently useless player in the squad, and I am including Abel Xavier in that.

Kewell's signing just gets better and better:D

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Originally posted by evoluzione
and what about Emile Ivanhoe Heskey???? he even gave money to Lineker for his Leicester City Consortium thingy :)

I thought the jury was still out on Bruno, so I kept quiet. And if he does fulfill his potential, LFC have to take the credit, cause he can only achieve the max by mixing it with class - unless of course your name is Matthew Le Tissier and you still walk on water with 10 players hanging round your neck.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
Original poster
sad to hear about Milan Baros and Jamie Carragher, both suffering broken legs this weekend against Blackburn. As much as I think Jamie sucks, he's been dead good so far this season and i don't want to see him out of the side all together, and Milan, well, the kid just gets better and better.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Milan is probably my fav player since Redders and Paddy left. He's been scoring for fun for the Czechs and slowly replacing Emile here. Sadly it was one of our own players as well than injured him, all be it accidently. I hope it's not one of them injury's that make a player come back, not the player he used to be, with him getting a steel plate in that broken ankle et al.

The Carra tackle was a pure discrace, and the fact alot of BBR fans were sticking up for it, saying it was a fair challenge is pretty discusting too.

On apositive note, we stuffed the toffey men and now blackburn, and sudenly we have a great attacking side on our hands with Dioufy, Kewell and Smicer being able to swap positions atr will, dragging defenders out of positon unless they are using zonal marking. Is it me or is Hou trying total football....there was a method in the madness of buying playes that can play multiple possitons after all ;) Hou gets a lot of undisearved stick for the fact he saved this club from the souness and evens era. Just one look on the teamtalk yoursay pages and it makes out that souness was a much more sucessful manager! I know who i'd prefere to have - Milan, dioufy and hyypia or Paul Steward, Mark Walters and Torban Pichnik (haha dont even really remember that guys name).

Is some one taking the piss on this site or is there two Manchester united adverts at the bottom of this page!!! how'd that happen? I think google is trying to wind us all up.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
Original poster
i agree with ya there mate, Houllier is much better than Souness and Evans, of course, Graeme was an awesome player for us, just not the management part. However, i think he (Hou) needs to be a bit tougher, rather than complimenting the guys every game saying we were unlucky, get stuck in a la Shanks and 'ave a shout or too. Maybe that's what he's started doing as we seem to be playing some beautiful football again and scoring some great wins.

I think the time for Heskey to show what he can do couldn't have come at a better time, last year when Hou had a word with him, he played great for a few games, let's hope he can fulfill his potential, he's got it in him, somewhere.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
Yeah I agree, Hou needs to be more mean, though mabe thats Thompsons job...but the way he is always shouting, the players probably block him out after a while ;) It's great to see good old thommo still loves LFC...whether Souness does is open to debate. I think he's suffereing from the old chip/shoulder thing.

I think our new couch from fullham is a lot to do with our attacking play also... We seem to be passng and moving now, and boy is it nice to watch...hopefully as the season wears on it will only improve.

Heskey has it in him somewhere (witness 3ble season, well parts of it) and england vs the Argies whe nhe was still at lCFC. He just needs to find it again...He's so fustrating that guy....he's exactly what we need as a foil to owen...

if he would just show it. But if not we have Pong...U think you said he was more impressive than le tellec last season, and boy does le tellec look good...makes me think ronaldo who> when he gets on the ball, even though i wish we bought ron after he said he wanted to come here. Van Der Vaart is another that looked likely for a while, and rosicky. Both great players but with kewell and diouf playing well its hard to see where they would get in, as even if we drop smicer (a hou fav and playing well to be fair, and a very likeable guy) then it will stifle ALT's chances...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.