Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubstepcats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
Earth
My MacBook Pro (Retina Late 2013 13"), is making wierd noises. If it's sleeping, and I wake it up, there is a tick sound as the screen turns on. When GPU activity is high, it makes ticking sounds when it heats up and when it cools down. It's not the fan, it is working just fine. Any ideas? Could it be a GPU failing?

Hmm, having some more problems. Whenver im on 1/16 brightness, I hear a buzzing sound coming from under the 3 and 4 keys. I've seen my mac opened before, and I suspect that its coming from the gpu. really confused now.
Wow, I just ran the hardware test (not plugged in), and it said there might be an issue with the power adapter (its not even plugged in what), and that the power adapter wasn't tested. It also gave error code #PPT004, the battery requires service it said. I'm running fine at 92-93% health and 334 cycles, what is going on with this mac??
[doublepost=1456896373][/doublepost]Another thing, if you can also answer this :

So, about a month ago, my MacBook Pro Retina 13" (Late 2013) display died. When I went to an authorized service provider, they tested it out and said that it needed to be replaced (the display). They said that it would take a week before the display was shipped to them, and in the meantime, I could use my MacBook Pro on an external display.

A year before this (around April 2015), my display had died, but it revived itself overnight somehow. I used it on my external LG TV, and after it revived itself, it used "HD-709 A as the default color profile, and even if I changed it back to "Color LCD", the HD-709 A would stay on the login screen.

Now, I went home after seeing the service provider and used the TV as my external display. After I got my computer back from replacing the display, I saw that the same thing had occured. I dug a little deeper into ColorSync utility, and now, the main display is called "LG TV", even though it is on the internal display, in systeminformation, it shows a built in retina display (but in ColorSync utility, it says LG TV is default, and the internal Retina one doesnt even show up, and the default profile for my computer is again HD-709 A.

In System Preferences, however, it is called "Built-In Retina Display". I can still use Color LCD, but the TV's main profile is stuck to the computer for now. When it happened the first time, a reformat fixed it. Is there a way to make ColorSync utility recognize that my internal display is default and completely remove the external one?
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 8.27.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 8.27.14 AM.png

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
My MacBook Pro (Retina Late 2013 13"), is making wierd noises. If it's sleeping, and I wake it up, there is a tick sound as the screen turns on. When GPU activity is high, it makes ticking sounds when it heats up and when it cools down. It's not the fan, it is working just fine. Any ideas? Could it be a GPU failing?

Hmm, having some more problems. Whenver im on 1/16 brightness, I hear a buzzing sound coming from under the 3 and 4 keys. I've seen my mac opened before, and I suspect that its coming from the gpu. really confused now.
Wow, I just ran the hardware test (not plugged in), and it said there might be an issue with the power adapter (its not even plugged in what), and that the power adapter wasn't tested. It also gave error code #PPT004, the battery requires service it said. I'm running fine at 92-93% health and 334 cycles, what is going on with this mac??

You should be running AHT while plugged in. It's giving you that message because you're supposed to have the system plugged in, but you don't, but it doesn't know that, so it's assuming something is wrong with the power adapter. However, your battery is dying. That part is accurate.

No idea about the rest of your post. Timeline reads a little bonkers to me, but that's probably because I'm tired.

dubstepcats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
Earth
Haha, yea. I really doubt that my battery is dying, it lasts about 2 school days with ease (I use it heavily during school, I have to use Xcode and stuff.)

Its sitting at 93 health right now, charging. I get time estimates of 9-10 hours usually, so I feel that it is a glitch.

Now, the Graphics Card. It might be on its way out. I'm now starting to see a slight decrease in performance, and it has started making more noises under load.

Looks like my logic board might be dying, cause the battery information might be inaccurate, and it makes noises. Something is messing with me, cause if you read what I said for the rest of the post, when its on 1/16 brightness, it makes a buzzing sound where the gpu is. The ticking noises are there too, when under load and waking from sleep

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
I've been having some battery life issues with mine as well.

Doesn't seem to be lasting long what so ever as it previously did.

Also not sure if any of you are having this issue but the device will actually randomly shut itself off use if the battery is at a lower percentage (about 10 ish) as not turn back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.