Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Being able to send pictures and so on via messaging is standard on almost every other phone. There is a clear need for it. I do miss it on my phone. SMS and MMS are widely and currently used by a lot of people.

To me it's Apple hubris, which as a company they are guilty of doing many times. It almost killed them in the mid to late 90s. Can you imagine if Ford started selling a car without AM radio. Yeah it's not as popular as FM, XM/Sirius or recorded music, but there's no logical reason for no AM radio in a car. It's like apple not having FM at least on the ipod. Why? Apple hubris. I mean the walkman had am/fm radio and that was part of the joy of it.

Apple doesn't want to follow the crowd, it wants to lead it. That is why we don't have floppy drives on our computers today, and I daresay that is why USB flash drives are popular. At the time of the walkman, you could only play like 60 minutes(?) of music and to get more you'd have to carry around multiple cassette tapes so yeah radio back then was a relief when you didn't want to hear what you brought along with you. The iPod however now has massive storage so you are in fact your own radio station.

Anyway, back to MMS vs email.

Technologicaly, MMS is inferior because it was made at a time when sending data over the GSM network was expensive thus it had to compress the picture so much as to make it lose detail. Now on high resolution screens such as the one found on the iPhone, and incresingly on other touch screen based phones, the pictures from MMS messages would look so horrid that it probably wouldn't help at all. Case in point, my friend just sent me an MMS of her holiday to the beach but I couldn't even make out if she was smiling or frowning because the picture quality was so horrible. If it were the full 2MP's and sent via email, I would've probably been able to make it out better.

I think a more pertinent complain to the iPhone would be the inability to send multiple pictures in one email.

deadsouls

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Apple doesn't want to follow the crowd, it wants to lead it. That is why we don't have floppy drives on our computers today, and I daresay that is why USB flash drives are popular. At the time of the walkman, you could only play like 60 minutes(?) of music and to get more you'd have to carry around multiple cassette tapes so yeah radio back then was a relief when you didn't want to hear what you brought along with you. The iPod however now has massive storage so you are in fact your own radio station.

Anyway, back to MMS vs email.

Technologicaly, MMS is inferior because it was made at a time when sending data over the GSM network was expensive thus it had to compress the picture so much as to make it lose detail. Now on high resolution screens such as the one found on the iPhone, and incresingly on other touch screen based phones, the pictures from MMS messages would look so horrid that it probably wouldn't help at all. Case in point, my friend just sent me an MMS of her holiday to the beach but I couldn't even make out if she was smiling or frowning because the picture quality was so horrible. If it were the full 2MP's and sent via email, I would've probably been able to make it out better.

I think a more pertinent complain to the iPhone would be the inability to send multiple pictures in one email.

what in the hell are you blabbing about? since when did apple invent mp3 players!? and you're an idiot if you think APPLE is the reason why floppy drives/disks are becoming less prevalent. stop being such a mindless fanboy.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Can you imagine if Apple started selling computers without ADB or without floppy drives? Oh wait, they did. And yet they are stronger than ever now.

Riiiight....the reason Apple is the company they are today is because they nixed the floppy drive........riiiiiiiiight....:rolleyes:

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
what in the hell are you blabbing about? since when did apple invent mp3 players!?

I never said Apple invented MP3 players. They just made them extremely popular.

and you're an idiot if you think APPLE is the reason why floppy drives/disks are becoming less prevalent. stop being such a mindless fanboy.

Right, so the iMac has nothing to do with why we don't have floppy drives in computers these days.

Excerpt from Wikipedia

In 1998, Apple introduced the iMac which had no floppy drive. This made USB-connected floppy drives a popular accessory for the early iMacs, since the basic model of iMac at the time had only a CD-ROM drive, giving users no easy access to writable removable media. This transition away from standard floppies was relatively easy for Apple, since all Macintosh models that were originally designed to use a CD-ROM drive were able to boot and install their operating system from CD-ROM early on.

Stop calling me a fanboy when I bring FACTS to the table.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
I never said Apple invented MP3 players. They just made them extremely popular.

Right, so the iMac has nothing to do with why we don't have floppy drives in computers these days.

Stop calling me a fanboy when I bring FACTS to the table.

ROFLMAO......since when did wikipedia........a website where anyone can edit it become a source of FACT?? LOL

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Riiiight....the reason Apple is the company they are today is because they nixed the floppy drive........riiiiiiiiight....
No, not the reason. But part of the reason. Many complained when Apple dropped the floppy drive and yet that bold move now looks like a "step toward the future". My point was that Apple's hubris is not always a bad thing (and, to be fair, not always a good thing: i.e. the Cube). But it does play a part in Apple's success.

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
ROFLMAO......since when did wikipedia........a website where anyone can edit it become a source of FACT?? LOL

Its called peer review. All good scientific bodies have it. When something seems a miss, the general, more "responsible" community of wikipedia would correct it.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Its called peer review. All good scientific bodies have it. When something seems a miss, the general, more "responsible" community of wikipedia would correct it.

Then go back to your reply and correct what you said:

"Stop calling me a fanboy when I bring PEER REVIEW to the table." -darkcurse

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Not entirely true Riceracer.....

The "mechanism" of injury is a VERY important feature in triaging and treating patients. This mechanism and style of injury, especially as it applies to the "velocity" and the "vectors of force" are very important in working out potential injuries. Sure, a photograph won't tell the whole story, and the patient needs to be stabilised and resuscitated, however.... knowing that the vehicle was hit at high speed from the passenger side with cabin intrusion is very helpful to us. And a quick photograph may be helpful to us..... I stress "may". Looking at the patient will NOT give you the whole story.

Likewise, why bring a motorcyclist's helmet to the hospital after a crash??? BECAUSE it shows you the mechanism, velocity, and vector of injury.

Just my $0.02 :)
I agree and I'm sure to an extent, it would be useful. But we are use to getting verbal report. I can not recall a case where we received a picture of an accident, trauma or not, before or while the patient was under hospital care. I suppose our EMT's provide a thorough enough explanation and paint a good enough mental image for us that a physical picture is not necessary. I remember a certain C6 compression fracture caused by a car rear-ending an SUV which ended with the car wedging itself underneath the SUV that had come to a near complete stop due to traffic on the highway while the car was going slightly below the highway speed limit in an attempt to stop. Our trauma room physicians needed nothing further beyond that information.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

OK, finally, it took 5 pages, but we are actually getting an objective arguement against MMS. No sarcasm. I agree with you. If I wanted to send someone a high quality, full-resolution photo, I definitely would send it via e-mail. But, if I just wanted to send someone some random photo, I probably would send it via MMS. This is why I would want the option. The other problem is, under the current firmware 2.2.1, you can send high-resolution photos via e-mail, but you cannot save them properly. See the "firmware 2.2.1 update" thread. When you try to save them, they turn out blurry. Photos taken by the low-resolution iPhone camera can be saved properly though.

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Anyone here in the UK use the 3rd Party one? I'd be pretty interested in hearing what it's like. I got it as soon as it appeared in the App store but have yet to even use it!

And for those not in the UK, its not real MMS but similar

Attachments

• IMG_0002.PNG
    IMG_0002.PNG
    111.3 KB · Views: 65

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
^^^

All my family and friends use Virgin or T-Mobile (same carrier) and so when I get an MMS from them, I get a code from their networks, for their websites - fat lot of good this is. I have the app and am also yet to use it - in fact, since I got my iPhone in May, I haven't had a single MMS with an O2 code. Right now, the app is just taking space up on my phone, but psychologically, I can't quite bring myself to delete it... :( I wish Apple would just support MMS, it can't be that frakkin' difficult. It's the only major handset provider who doesn't support it and it's a bloody pain in the arse.

PennCentralFan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
Twin Cities
Apple has given us no logical reason for not including mms which is in the vast majority of cell phones out there. I like apple. I own an ipod and an iphone. I love my iphone. I just wish it had mms and apple has given us no logical reason for not including something that every other cell phone has.

Apple was in trouble in the mid to late 90s. There was talk of apple going away. Apple is not perfect. Let's not forget lisa and next. I like apple and I'd most likely own an apple laptop, but my line of work uses pc and windows so I'd have problems doing stuff at home.

Apple does little things like not having mms and nixing the floppy when I can still buy a great dell computer with a floppy. Don't forget that millions of people used floppies and stored data on them and there was no logical reason for apple not including them. I bet many of you still have dozens and hundreds of floppies lying around with data on them. Additionally apple doesn't give me enough usb ports. I mean I can buy a laptop with four of them and apple gives me only two on a laptop. Just like the lack of mms there's no logical reason for it except of hurbris.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON
Apple has given us no logical reason for not including mms which is in the vast majority of cell phones out there. I like apple. I own an ipod and an iphone. I love my iphone. I just wish it had mms and apple has given us no logical reason for not including something that every other cell phone has.

Apple was in trouble in the mid to late 90s. There was talk of apple going away. Apple is not perfect. Let's not forget lisa and next. I like apple and I'd most likely own an apple laptop, but my line of work uses pc and windows so I'd have problems doing stuff at home.

Apple does little things like not having mms and nixing the floppy when I can still buy a great dell computer with a floppy. Don't forget that millions of people used floppies and stored data on them and there was no logical reason for apple not including them. I bet many of you still have dozens and hundreds of floppies lying around with data on them. Additionally apple doesn't give me enough usb ports. I mean I can buy a laptop with four of them and apple gives me only two on a laptop. Just like the lack of mms there's no logical reason for it except of hurbris.

If you really want a floppy drive just get a USB one, about $20 or less. Why would you want to lug around a 3.5" floppy. I wish they still had the 8" floppy or the 12" or maybe cassette tape drives. What about those great modems with the rubber cups. Technology marches on. If you want I can send you a copy of Auto Cad 1.4 it was on two 5.25" disks, but I put it on CD. 3.5" floppies were much better than the 8GB Sandisk memory stick that I got for $25 on the weekend.

What's the logical reason that every other phone doesn't have email, I haven't heard any of the other cell phone companies give a good reason why they don't have email, good web browsers, touch screens, or an app store or any of the other things that the iPhone can do that they can't

Here's a reason sometimes the only way to get people to move on is to take their outdate obsolete technology away from them so they have to use the new technology.

The iPhone is not perfect but it's good at what it is a web device that just happens to have a phone too.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Case in point, my friend just sent me an MMS of her holiday to the beach but I couldn't even make out if she was smiling or frowning because the picture quality was so horrible. If it were the full 2MP's and sent via email, I would've probably been able to make it out better.

Oops, the iPhone automatically "optimizes" (scales down) images when sent through email and MMS (through some of my friends' phones) does not.

So the fact that the iMac didn't include a floppy is somehow the fact that floppy drives were phased out because of it? Uh huh...

Having never owned a Mac, I know that I would still be using floppies to this day if Apple hadn't done that. I can almost fit 1/3 of an MP3 per disk too! Please PM me when Apple stops including CD-ROM drives in the Mac in favor of DVD-only drives so I know when to throw out all my blank CDs.

PennCentralFan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
Twin Cities
If you really want a floppy drive just get a USB one, about $20 or less. Why would you want to lug around a 3.5" floppy. I wish they still had the 8" floppy or the 12" or maybe cassette tape drives. What about those great modems with the rubber cups. Technology marches on. If you want I can send you a copy of Auto Cad 1.4 it was on two 5.25" disks, but I put it on CD. 3.5" floppies were much better than the 8GB Sandisk memory stick that I got for $25 on the weekend.

What's the logical reason that every other phone doesn't have email, I haven't heard any of the other cell phone companies give a good reason why they don't have email, good web browsers, touch screens, or an app store or any of the other things that the iPhone can do that they can't

Here's a reason sometimes the only way to get people to move on is to take their outdate obsolete technology away from them so they have to use the new technology.

The iPhone is not perfect but it's good at what it is a web device that just happens to have a phone too.

I don't really miss my floppy drive that much :D But the iphone is a premium product. My razr is not a premium product and as such does not have something like safari, but it does have mms which is a very basic function that most cell phones have. Apple has given us no logical reason for not including mms. OK Steve Jobs thinks that mms doesn't send high enough quality pictures. But then why doesn't he gives a camera where that would matter? Don't give me a lower quality camera and then use the logic that mms isn't high quality enough to send pictures.

If you want my opinion. Someone at apple blew it by not including mms, but the culture of apple is such that they won't admit it was a mistake and instead has its zombies tell us how great it is that the iphone doesn't have mms.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
If you want my opinion. Someone at apple blew it by not including mms, but the culture of apple is such that they won't admit it was a mistake and instead has its zombies tell us how great it is that the iphone doesn't have mms.

Someone? I'll give you a hint; he's out on medical leave right now. And we all know it was him too. Being the micromanager he is, I doubt someone just went up to him one day and said "uh, btw, we decided not to put mms on the iPhone. You cool with that?" SJ: "Oh, sure! Great idea. Carry on..."

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

You're joking right? Well maybe these phones cost next to nothing to make, have zero RAM and storage, and are being given away by the carriers for free with a 2-year contract. That's the reason why other phones don't have e-mail, browsers, touch screens, etc. Cost is a "very logical reason," don't you think? Now, my iPhone. I paid $200 subsidized for it. A can guarantee you that any other cell phone on the market that is sold for $200+ will have email, touchscreen, a browser, etc...

Katuls

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
I work in the hospital. Our ER is the second busiest in the region. If you are a paramedic and can not give proper report to the hospital you are bringing the patient to, you need to find another occupation. The hospital will see what they are dealing with when the client gets there. There is nothing they can do additionally by looking at pictures you want to text them...especially of the wreck??????

Hospitals get all their pertinent assessment data from your verbal report you send over the CB to the ER, not some 2MP picture taken from an rushing ambulance on a bumpy road or something. Tell us that he has a blood pressure of 90/45, tell us that he has a pulse of 42; tell us that his abdomen is firm, distended, and boggy (consistent of internal hemorrhaging)...those are things we care about. You can not see visible retractions in respiratory distress from a picture, you can not see a concussion, you can not see a myocardial infarction, and most importantly, you can not see vital signs or any other physical assessments. We don't care that you want to take a picture of a broken leg, because you want to show us how bad ass it is. And furthermore, we don't care about the wreck. The car is not coming to the hospital. Show that to some insurance agency that cares. That is a poor practice that you and your agency use and for that I would take it as far as complaining to the state and every news agency in your area if you firmly believe that.

Intrinsically, pictures taken within the hospital with a real camera is fine...just like those from an endoscopic exam or prognosis trends. Those can be used by staff or other hospitals in the event that they may need to transfer to another facility. JCAHO frowns upon cellular phone use within the hospital anyways unless they are hospital issued...I know because they just came last month and said that to a nurse talking on her cell phone behind the nurses station

So call me a crybaby. At least we are tending to and are more concerned with the injured patients while you're just sittin' there take pictures of a mangled car.

Your post made me laugh out loud quite a few times. Let me try to comb through all the incorrect jargon before I start:

First off, I don't know what Podunk hospital you work out, but a CB radio? LOL. CB.. seriously? Ive been in this business for a while and have never seen a CB radio being used as a base radio. We use 800 mhz radios to start off; These radios are linked to cell phone lines to capture up to date vital signs, 12 leads, pictures of the scene, etc. I dont know what you call 'busy', but if you're still using a cb radio, it can't be that busy (no means for additional lines, etc.)

Do you have any clue what mechanism of injury is? How about Injury pattern due to MOIs? A picture is worth a thousand words my friend. A couple pictures can tell the hospital alot more in detail (and much, MUCH more quicker) predictable injury patterns the patient (not client, btw- you're not selling them furniture) will have. This sort of practice can be applicable to all types of emergencies, not just tc's.

More things that made me laugh: a blood pressure of 90/45? Since when did we use odd numbers in blood pressures? You know you cant read an odd number in on a blood pressure cuff, right? (we dont use the automatic non reliable cuffs like hospitals use.) Another LOL moment: firm and 'boggy' hehe. Ive never heard the term 'boggy', but the way you define it, it has the same definition of distended (internal bleeding due to trauma). Use traditional terms like rigid, distended, etc.

Your post is so easy to pick apart I could be here for days. I can't see an MI? new flash buddy: Yeah, I can. Thats what an EKG monitor is for. We can't see broken bones? I don't know what corn pickin' hospital bred your ignorance, but take it out of here. Come back with something tangible. Just know this: who saves patients? PREhospital personnel. And if it's a common practice to take pictures to send to the receiving hospitals (common in SoCal- you know the busiest hospitals in the nation) we'll continue doing so.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Your post made me laugh out loud quite a few times. Let me try to comb through all the incorrect jargon before I start:

First off, I don't know what Podunk hospital you work out, but a CB radio? LOL. CB.. seriously? Ive been in this business for a while and have never seen a CB radio being used as a base radio. We use 800 mhz radios to start off; These radios are linked to cell phone lines to capture up to date vital signs, 12 leads, pictures of the scene, etc. I dont know what you call 'busy', but if you're still using a cb radio, it can't be that busy (no means for additional lines, etc.)

Do you have any clue what mechanism of injury is? How about Injury pattern due to MOIs? A picture is worth a thousand words my friend. A couple pictures can tell the hospital alot more in detail (and much, MUCH more quicker) predictable injury patterns the patient (not client, btw- you're not selling them furniture) will have. This sort of practice can be applicable to all types of emergencies, not just tc's.

More things that made me laugh: a blood pressure of 90/45? Since when did we use odd numbers in blood pressures? You know you cant read an odd number in on a blood pressure cuff, right? (we dont use the automatic non reliable cuffs like hospitals use.) Another LOL moment: firm and 'boggy' hehe. Ive never heard the term 'boggy', but the way you define it, it has the same definition of distended (internal bleeding due to trauma). Use traditional terms like rigid, distended, etc.

Your post is so easy to pick apart I could be here for days. I can't see an MI? new flash buddy: Yeah, I can. Thats what an EKG monitor is for. We can't see broken bones? I don't know what corn pickin' hospital bred your ignorance, but take it out of here. Come back with something tangible. Just know this: who saves patients? PREhospital personnel. And if it's a common practice to take pictures to send to the receiving hospitals (common in SoCal- you know the busiest hospitals in the nation) we'll continue doing so.

and this "rebuttal" stayed on the MMS topic and provided relevance how...? :confused:

tom.

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I have to say I don't think I have sent or recieved an MMS message since it first came about and I did it to see if it worked. It's terrible!

MMS is going to die because email will do the same and more. It is much better on smartphones than it used to be.

SMS is useful because you can send informal, barely legible messages quickly and on the go, which in general is far more useful than sending images on the go. I don't think I know a single person who wants the facitlity to send images in that fashion.

Hutch1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Guelph, ON

Yea they really blew it, how so? They still got idiots who want MMS to buy their phone. Personally you and the little MMS cohort blew it by buying the iPhone when it didn't offer MMS. IF there was such a BIG market for MMS and that BIG market didn't buy the iPhone maybe they might have changed their mind and included it. Just because a few dozen people whine about it on a forum, they aren't going to add it.

Sell your iPhone and get something that does have MMS.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
I hope they do include MMS in the future. My father and I buy old cars at auctions and my father can't log into his e-mail all the time to check the pics I send him of cars I looked at. I do understand that for a quick idea of what the car looks like MMS is fine. But for more detail I would e-mail more detailed pics. If I was browsing what cars were there and sent him a SMS telling him that there was a 69 chevelle that was in decent shape, I could send him a quick MMS with the pic and text and he would see it in a matter of seconds if he's on the go. Instead of sending him a SMS and tell him to check his e-mail.

James

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.