Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chanoc

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska USA
Timelessblur said:
Logic is a worthless class that I will never have to take. The people who every really take that class are people who dont understand math and sciences. They take it and it counts for there math creited. The menumal science class is a joke.

A science class? A math credit? At my school it counts as a philosophy class, not math or science. Logic in math and computer science is different from the meaning of logic as a study of reason - as in logical fallacies, objectism, etc..

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Timelessblur said:
Logic is a worthless class that I will never have to take. The people who every really take that class are people who dont understand math and sciences. They take it and it counts for there math creited. The menumal science class is a joke.
I would have to disagree with you.

Logic in terms of math and science is very important as it teaches you how to visualise your thoughts in a systematic order that you can put down in a machine or a proof. For example, when you are programming a accounting system where there are many rules and logic to adhere to, you need to be able to put all these in terms of symbols and codes.

Logic in philosophy gives you a foundation to learn how to put forth your argument and be able to reason with more clarity.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
when a goverment and pholiphy major can take logic as a math class it gets bump down to a worthless class in my book. It counts for a math crieted in collage. Plus the teachers of those class general tick me off and I hate pholiphy class. They go about making arguemtns that are impossible and false and yet they prove them right inagurment.

Someone who has a heavy end math in there degree will quickly see that it is a worthless class to them because we go to a higher lv of logic in our work and we are tought how to write up the stuff.

I not going ot move from my veiw on it because I think ti is a worthless and the room is full of idoits. I know some engineers who taken it. They hated it because they understood all of it and they already could think that way. Then when something went against sciencefic pinples and they tread to be proven wrong. They also hated because the class was full of some of the biggest idoits in the world who had no clue how to think logicly if there life depended on it

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Couple thoughts...

As a Christian I find it remarkably uncanny how similar the culture and attitudes are between religious people who have "seen the light" and Mac users. Just a thought.

I have one friend who seems to see his Apple hardware through rose-coloured glasses. He'd point out the LCD panel on his PowerBook, for example, and state how Apple's display panels are categorically so much brighter and crisper than anything you'd get on a Windows laptop.

Now, last time I checked, Apple used the same Samsung-made panels as everybody else, no?

(In fact my PowerBook has a dead pixel, the first one I've ever had in four laptops...)

I also identify with the folks who do Keynote presentations (and use my t68i as a remote as well). Fun!

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Timelessblur said:
when a goverment and pholiphy major can take logic as a math class it gets bump down to a worthless class in my book. It counts for a math crieted in collage. Plus the teachers of those class general tick me off and I hate pholiphy class. They go about making arguemtns that are impossible and false and yet they prove them right inagurment.

Someone who has a heavy end math in there degree will quickly see that it is a worthless class to them because we go to a higher lv of logic in our work and we are tought how to write up the stuff.

I not going ot move from my veiw on it because I think ti is a worthless and the room is full of idoits. I know some engineers who taken it. They hated it because they understood all of it and they already could think that way. Then when something went against sciencefic pinples and they tread to be proven wrong. They also hated because the class was full of some of the biggest idoits in the world who had no clue how to think logicly if there life depended on it
As I say, it is a foundation or groundwork. Just because you feel that you know it all and you do not need it, doesn't make others, who feel they could benefit from it, idiots. Your bashing of others whom you do not know much about contradicts your previous statement that you dislike mac zealots bashing windows which they know nothing about.

I believe there are a few macrumors members with philosophy majors, maybe they can help you with your hatred for philosophy.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
They can take it all it does is lay the ground work for logic for people who dont do any real math classes or science class for that matter.

I think there is no point for any one who degree is heavily based on Math and/or Science to even take that class. They general get more tick off about those to class than any thing else because the teacher general try to say things that are false true and things tha are true False. They are not allowed to use a lot of the princples there world and eduction is based around. The people in those classes geneal are idoits. there are a few bright apples that just suck at math and science but then their are to many student in their that just waste the eniter class period argue Logic points that are false based on sciencetific prinples which I for one would never give up.

I hate the way they teach philosophy. There is philosophy and then there is learnign about it. My person philosophy is based around math and sciendes. Those are my foundtion for most everything I believe in and hold true but when I have to agure with out those 2 tools I not going to win simplely because I know noughting of the world with out them.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
mac hater arguments?

1) The topic of the the thread is "Mac hater arguments"
2) Logic class does not relate to "Mac hater arguments"
3) Recent posts discuss logic class
4) Going too far off topic is bad
5) Bad things should be fixed
6) When things are fixed, they are usually brought back to their previous state

Q.E.D. Maybe we should end discussing logic classes and get back to the point of the topic :D

That said, ignore the following:
I was a non-math major who took a logic class. It actually is a good class for all people to learn to express their thoughts in a manner that flows smoothly. But, I hated the class. But, I'm sure some people enjoyed it and some benefiteed. Therefore, while I did not enjoy logic class, there was a benefit that some recieved, making the class like any other - reviled by some, loved by others.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Well, its tough to preach to the non-believers. (hmm...) If they refuses to see our point, telling them otherwise would only make them more defensive and harder to change.

Most of the time I get from other people is that "Macs just look pretty and cost too much and I could get an equivalent of a PC for half the price", some (not really haters) just say "but I don't know how to use a Mac"

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
roommate in the dorms

When we started our freshmen semester, we both came from the same highschool and both from the same church, and that's why we roomed together. He bought a new Windows machine for gaming, and i bought my powerbook. Well, by the end of the semester one of his switcher quotes based on using my powerbook and his prostar was "I hate windows, but i like a challenge..." By that he meant, i really like your powerbook dude, but times is hard and i can't afford one right now

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
"there's no software available" - there are now over 10,000 apps available for OS X

"no one uses a Mac." - according to Apple, there are over 10,000,000 users of OS X (who knows how many pre-X users there are.)

"they're too expensive." - Well, if you want to buy a peecee for $400, be my guest:
1.) but remember I charge by the hour to fix things
2.) "another virus?" see #1
3.) "spyware? your system's running slow?" see #1
4.) you get what you pay for...
5.) if it works, good. Then I won't hear from them again.
(Why do windows people always talk to me about their windows problems? 'my machine runs slow', 'it boots slow', 'where can I get this?', 'what's a good anti-virus program?')

"Macs are for arsty-fartsy fags." - I don't have an answer for that. I refuse to get into discussions with people who make moronic comments like that. You'll get no where with them anyway.

I remember talking to a kid in college and he said "windows pcs?? dude you can't do ANYTHING on those!!" :D

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
and my favorite

"Apple is loosing money everyday." - Really? You must be their accountant then. Can you give me some 'tips' on stock investment? ;)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
5300cs said:
"Apple is loosing money everyday." - Really? You must be their accountant then. Can you give me some 'tips' on stock investment? ;)
I remember recommending Apple to a friend who was looking for some stocks to purchase a little while ago. I told him they had these things called iPods that were becoming really popular and that they were about to release this thing called the iTunes Music Store. He laughed, didn't invest because Apple sucks.

The stock was around 16 then. It's considerably higher now, and still rising. I'm glad my uncle listened to me. He's seen a pretty big return.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
The first time I really got interested in iPods were when they repeatedly emphasized how celebrities, specifically singers were using them on the set. This was on an MTV show >> yes, I used to watch this in high school :eek:

Anyway, for high school students, iPods were way out of my price range, and of course back then there was no iTunes for Windows. I can tell you, the minute iTunes was released to PCs, iPod purchasing rose exponentially (bigger market). Can't say that's a bad thing either, cuz when "hell froze over" was the minute I started using iTunes.

The same time I had already "switched" to Firefox, and was already posting on Macrumors too...

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
EJBasile said:
I have heard....

Macs have such bad software (Specificly- Appleworks is the only good program apple makes- hahah i think the opposite)
Macs can't play games
Macs are too expensive
Macs are not compadible with windows
Macs are so much slower- PCs fastest are 3.8 while macs are 2.5

These are hard ones that people have told me- hard to justify
Macs Suck
Mac is Wack
If you buy a Mac your on Crack
If you buy a Mac you'll marry a girl with no rack (yea- strange people out there)
Macs are ugly

~EJBasile

P.S. I hope that works. Good luck on your project. When its done have a moderator make a sticky of it lol!

Tell the peopl that say that the Ghz=speed. Ghz speed of the cpu has got very very little to do with actual performance. The PowerPC cpu's get more done in each cycle than the x86 once and are actually at lot faster than the P4+ the 2.5 version from mac has a 1.25Ghz FSB wich is a lot higher and they come in Dual configuration not single such as the P4 :D

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
johnbro23 said:
A valid point made about the Mac mini:

Only 2 usb ports? You take up both of them with the keyboard and mouse.
not an excuse ;)

You can also connect the mouse to one of the 2 ports on the keyboard, or go bluetooth and use none. :p

Cheers

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
"Macs suck because everyone uses Windows"
"You can't use AIM to IM your friends on a Mac"

AND The two best ones:

1) "You can't use an iPod on a Mac" - my friend said this like two days ago. I'm like "are you an idiot? Who do you think MAKES the iPod!?!?" and hes like "But on my friends [Mac] computer when I plugged in my iPod it didnt work" Edit: In case it wasn't understood, this is because when he plugged it into his Windows, he set it up for Windows, so in a Mac, it didn't work...

2) "I already have a Windows and whenever it breaks my neighbor can fix it but he can't fix Macs" - Well... you get the picture...

-----

5300cs said:
"'no one uses a Mac.' - according to Apple, there are over 10,000,000 users of OS X (who knows how many pre-X users there are.)"

I just wanted to add that I need to apply for highschools next year - I applied for two that i really want to go to. One is using Windows 2000 Server Edition as their servers and all the computers are using Windows 2000, and the second one uses Apple OS9 on iMacs. Well, the ones using Apple OS9 had all the information I needed on four different computers and within seconds printed all the information because it was networked to all four computers. The Windows 2000 Server didn't "want" to give me the information, so I had it mailed to me at home.

The entire school uses OS9 - like maybe 60-100 computers - while thats not a lot, thats only ONE High School, which is very good because it is very SMALL.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
"I already have a Windows and whenever it breaks my neighbor can fix it but he can't fix Macs" - Well... you get the picture...

I've heard that one before, and I told the guy, "Well, do you think it's right to have a computer that needs to be fixed?" He said, "Aww come on, everyone has the occasional virus that they need fixed, and we all have crashes once in a while."
Microsoft has ruined the general public.

Daniel

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
IIe's were horrible

Believe it or not, I still hear:

"I used those Apple IIe's back in gradeschool, and Windows 98 (2000, xp) is sooooooo much better!"

I hear the generic, "it's a toy", or "we don't use those here." (I bring my own Mac to work - it's where the real work gets done.)

As for Logic, I'm a math teacher who used to teach one-day "Logic" seminars to adult learners returning for their BA degrees. It's all in who's teaching it and what their goals are. Personally, my students enjoyed it (as much as you can enjoy a Saturday seminar), and their papers and speeches improved as a result of the emphasis I put on logical arguments, avoiding falicies (sp?), etc.

It can be done well. I'm not sure how often it is, but..... ;)

I'm not sure why anyone would think a math major wouldn't need such a course. It's the basis for proofs. And symbolic logic is just plain fun! :)

Of course, there are always those people who will take it too far. Heck, anyone who attempts to pretend to understand Cantor's theorems ends up blindly spewing out faulty arguments. And some philosophy folks are just as bad. But, it doesn't negate the importance of the topic.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
As a Christian...

notjustjay said:
Couple thoughts...

As a Christian I find it remarkably uncanny how similar the culture and attitudes are between religious people who have "seen the light" and Mac users. Just a thought.

I have one friend who seems to see his Apple hardware through rose-coloured glasses. He'd point out the LCD panel on his PowerBook, for example, and state how Apple's display panels are categorically so much brighter and crisper than anything you'd get on a Windows laptop.

Now, last time I checked, Apple used the same Samsung-made panels as everybody else, no?

(In fact my PowerBook has a dead pixel, the first one I've ever had in four laptops...)

I also identify with the folks who do Keynote presentations (and use my t68i as a remote as well). Fun!

Man... You and your kind never rest! Most of my aquintances and friends who are Christians are extremely unforgiving and judgemental: too bad, really. No: george w may use a Mac (shudder to think) but most evangelical Christians I know are married to Windows becasue they often adopt social norms: buy expensive-gas-guzzing cars, get in debt, use a computer just as ar work: Windows. I respect your mac loyalty, but Christians are Windows users... they are sheep after all!

Your other points are right on; you make us proud!

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Balin64 said:
I respect your mac loyalty, but Christians are Windows users... they are sheep after all!

I have to reject that statement because the implication is if Christians and Windows users are sheep, that would mean Bill Gates is Jesus. :eek:

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Lol Christians are Windows Users? Hahaha.

One of the biggest advocates of the Mac was someone I met at Church. Considering Christians, believers, are as diverse as the human race, it would illogical to say that all Christians are Windows users.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I've seen some comments about Macs that may be somewhat reasonable. But these are just -> :rolleyes: (especially the first one):

"if u used a MAC for ur entire life then u are screwed because u dont know how to use them..."

That doesn't make sense.

"macs suck, i mean, seriously, 1 button mouse? thats for pre schoolers!"

I didn't know pre schoolers worked at PIXAR :rolleyes: (I'm not totally sure if they still do, but didn't they switch to the G5?)

Sometimes you gotta feel sorry for people who make these comments. I mean they obviously have no idea what they are talking about, and they talk utter non-sense.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Balin64 said:
Man... You and your kind never rest! Most of my aquintances and friends who are Christians are extremely unforgiving and judgemental: too bad, really. No: george w may use a Mac (shudder to think) but most evangelical Christians I know are married to Windows becasue they often adopt social norms: buy expensive-gas-guzzing cars, get in debt, use a computer just as ar work: Windows. I respect your mac loyalty, but Christians are Windows users... they are sheep after all!

Way off base with world view and prejudice, shaken, not stirred. I happen to know quite a few of those generalized "sheep", and a good percentage drive Camrys, maintain a life style that's solvent, have a work ethic and computer use which go beyond the job description 24/7, and are Mac enthusiasts. Baaa, humbug ;)
X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.