Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
I'd laugh if they are waiting for Nehalem

Have we enen considered that possibility - Apple waiting for Nehalem?

If Apple do wait i'll be gutted, however i'll have more money to spend on it when Nehalem come through.

So many of us will be annoyed, I guess we should get prepared to be disappointed come 12th Nov.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Have we enen considered that possibility - Apple waiting for Nehalem?

If Apple do wait i'll be gutted, however i'll have more money to spend on it when Nehalem come through.

So many of us will be annoyed, I guess we should get prepared to be disappointed come 12th Nov.

Get your picket signs on standby that day. It seems Apple is interested in Penryn from recent rumors. So I guess we will see what happens.

bradis

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
I read that this is the Mac Pro Update that is coming - any thoughts?
New Mac Pro lineup & Apple Displays coming soon
Events, Hardware, Mac Pro, Macworld, News, Rumors Add comments

With all this iPhone news, it seems like nobody is thinking about the Mac. But today, our Apple informant has told us that a new lineup of Mac Pros and Apple Cinema Displays are arriving in Q1 2008 and will be announced in Macworld 2008.
As far as we know, the Mac Pros will be housed in the same aluminum casing, but the baseline processor speeds, RAM and hard drives are to be improved. Also, all models will be 8 (2×4) core Xeons.
Specs for the new base model:
2 x 3.0GHz Quad Core Xeon
2GB FB-DIMM RAM (Up to 32GB)
500GB Hard drive (Up to 2TB per bay)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS with 640MB or NVIDIA Quadro NVS 440
SuperDrive (Option for Blu-ray)
It is expected to be on sale after the Macworld 2008 event for ~$2000.
The new Apple Cinema Displays will include a built in iSight camera (1.3MP), along with a thinner case design that is styled similarly to the iMac (Smoother brushed aluminum, thinner and a black Apple logo). The 20 inch model will be removed and new 24 inch, 30 inch and 32 inch models will arrive - all LED backlit. These new displays will contain no mercury, and be “eco-friendly”as part of Apple’s new campaign to be “green”.
Update: According to the same source, this update may happen earlier than 20

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Penryn will be 2, 2 1/2 months OLD by January... Who wants old Intel chips by then?

Everyone wants Penryn chips by then, simply because Intel is estimating that the total shipping of 45nm based processors at that time only is going to account for 3-5% of their total production.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
I read that this is the Mac Pro Update that is coming - any thoughts?
New Mac Pro lineup & Apple Displays coming soon
Events, Hardware, Mac Pro, Macworld, News, Rumors Add comments

With all this iPhone news, it seems like nobody is thinking about the Mac. But today, our Apple informant has told us that a new lineup of Mac Pros and Apple Cinema Displays are arriving in Q1 2008 and will be announced in Macworld 2008.
As far as we know, the Mac Pros will be housed in the same aluminum casing, but the baseline processor speeds, RAM and hard drives are to be improved. Also, all models will be 8 (2×4) core Xeons.
The new Apple Cinema Displays will include a built in iSight camera (1.3MP), along with a thinner case design that is styled similarly to the iMac (Smoother brushed aluminum, thinner and a black Apple logo). The 20 inch model will be removed and new 24 inch, 30 inch and 32 inch models will arrive - all LED backlit. These new displays will contain no mercury, and be “eco-friendly”as part of Apple’s new campaign to be “green”.

I believe that was false info from a while ago, especially when the top Penryn is 3.2ghz now and not 3.0.

bradis

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
This is the base model details so the current top line Mac Pro would come the next models base config?

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
This is the base model details so the current top line Mac Pro would come the next models base config?

Ignore all that you read. That was all false and from so long ago. Better rumors have already surfaced. New MacPro coming either the 6th or the 13th. ... All chips are gonna be different. They can't take the Top one now and make it the base. New family of chips... I think we are looking at 2.5ghz, 2.8ghz, and 3.2ghz, all 8-Core.

bradis

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
Any Idea the Graphics Cards they are considering or if they will upgrade Apple Monitors?

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
Ignore all that you read. That was all false and from so long ago. Better rumors have already surfaced. New MacPro coming either the 6th or the 13th. ... All chips are gonna be different. They can't take the Top one now and make it the base. New family of chips... I think we are looking at 2.5ghz, 2.8ghz, and 3.2ghz, all 8-Core.

That would be sweet. Calendars are marked :)

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood

I still laugh at that rumor when I read "Up to 2TB per bay"... They didn't even try to make that believable.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
So it is either the week of the 13th or next year in everyone's estimation - correct?

Perhaps they are waiting for availability / compatability of the 8800GT or the HD 3800 prior to releasing which may hold up the update until next year.

I am ready to get the 'Tower of Power' as soon as it is released...surviving on a mini after parting with the the Dual 2.0 G5 in the summer waiting for the rumored update.

Here is a general question - based upon what is speculated where are most folks going to buy - low, mid or high Mac Pro?

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
So it is either the week of the 13th or next year in everyone's estimation - correct?

Perhaps they are waiting for availability / compatability of the 8800GT or the HD 3800 prior to releasing which may hold up the update until next year.

I am ready to get the 'Tower of Power' as soon as it is released...surviving on a mini after parting with the the Dual 2.0 G5 in the summer waiting for the rumored update.

Here is a general question - based upon what is speculated where are most folks going to buy - low, mid or high Mac Pro?

Right, either 6th, 13th, or next year :)(). See, that's what I'm afraid of, that Apples problem is on the graphic card availability. But I was sure I saw that the ones they wanted or we wanted, came out October 29th. lol

I'll be getting the mid-range with a faculty discount and add 4 more gigs of memory (not through Apple of course), choosing the best graphics card available.

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA

I wait. And wait. And I am patient, though getting anxious.

I will buy the best I can afford, which will probably be the bottom of the line since Airport card, monitor, Apple Care will push the price up up and away!

-- Mikie

HDproducer

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
Well, not released, what is it called, "formally announced" ? I think.

Intel Jumps 45nm Embargo...

Ok, I have been in the closet watching these forums for a few weeks now waiting with the rest of you. Now that my wife is convinced I am a geek, I must join in the speculation.

This article that was posted refers to the "embargo" being lifted to all 45nm chips on 11/12. It seems to me that Apple can't make a move until then.

I most also concur the Mac World is too far away. We must get these sooner. Mac World will be more about products for a wider user base. Look for more touch screen and sexy stuff. 8 core macs are for too narrow of a user base. They may give apple bragging rights, but they will not sell 1 million in the first two months.

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
I'll be ordering something in the 2.8GHz range, minimal RAM (add my own), smallest HD (I've got 1x500GB aand 2X320GB waiting), basic video card (I DO NOT game), but I will add airport/bluetooth. The machine will be used strictly for video editing with FC Express 3.5HD and iMovie 6HD.

HDproducer

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2007
Probably the top of the line, but I will add my own memory, and drives. Not sure about the graphics card. I will be using it for FCS 2 and will be getting an AJA card. Does any one have suggestions about what graphics card i should get?

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Ok, I have been in the closet watching these forums for a few weeks now waiting with the rest of you. Now that my wife is convinced I am a geek, I must join in the speculation.

This article that was posted refers to the "embargo" being lifted to all 45nm chips on 11/12. It seems to me that Apple can't make a move until then.

I most also concur the Mac World is too far away. We must get these sooner. Mac World will be more about products for a wider user base. Look for more touch screen and sexy stuff. 8 core macs are for too narrow of a user base. They may give apple bragging rights, but they will not sell 1 million in the first two months.

I believe the embargo was lifted on the other Penryn processors. Not the Penryn ones for the MacPro. But still, I want this new MacPro out within a week or two. And I am sure we will see it. :)

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
I'll be getting the mid-range processor + airport & bluetooth, everything else stock from Apple. Then adding 8 GB RAM for 10 GB total, a 150 GB Raptor as a boot drive and two 750 GB Western Digital Caviar SEs, one for files/user directory and the other for Time Machine. I already have external FW backups for bootable clones. Normal graphics card since I don't game at all.

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
Hate you?

I bought a Mini yesterday (to drive my 30" ACD) and I am now officially waiting for Nehalem!

FWIW, the Mini 2.0 with plenty of RAM is a great little box, and quiet as can be.

How did you get a mini to drive a 30" display? Mini is not dual-link.

Rowlander

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
... where are most folks going to buy - low, mid or high Mac Pro?

I will see what I can get for 2.500 Euro and student discount. Maybe I´ll invest up to 3.000. I will probably configure the "medium" CPU into the baseline model but upgrade RAM and HDD myself. Not sure about the graphics card - depends on what they will be.

I will also need to buy Final Cut Studio 2. The coming Mac Pro launch is going to be expensive. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.