Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Jeez. What was the open box price. That seems low.

$1001 open box price. Here's the receipt!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431114731.115821.jpg

TripleCore

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
I went to Valley Fair mall in San Jose. Their Apple store had no stock. The associate there said they were getting them in small amounts but they sell out pretty quick. I went across the street to Best Buy on Santana Row. They had one gold MacBook on their Apple display table. I asked a helpful associate if they had any for sale. As luck would have it, he showed me one open box gold. I didn't think twice and bought it. They also had one USB-C to USB-3 converter dongle. I walked out with a smile on my face. :D

I asked if BB had been receiving them, and the associate said that they had only that one shipment so far which included the open box.

Check around--they are out there, although still pretty scarce at the moment.

Heuer1860

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2015
When did you ask the store? Morning or afternoon? I am planning to have a look at Apple Store in Festival Walk these days.

I found them in-store first thing in the morning at opening time 10.00am
I think that Causeway bay store might get more stock than the other two HK apple stores ,but not sure.

This is crazy even having to say this about a brand new product which has been launched, but, Good luck in finding one somewhere.

caramellhoney

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2014
My local best buy stores always have open box specials on macbooks on the website. But as soon as you try to check out after adding the notebook to your cart it says the item is not available at this time.

SamR123

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Haarlem
Yesterday they where in stock in all 3 stores in The Netherlands. They said constant 'normal' shipments and stock replenishment is expected from now on. I picked up a 512 silver version, very happy because the SG I ordered didn't ship yet and after seeing it IRL I prefer the classic silver look.

TripleCore

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
Another Mac news site (9to5) has a story of a memo to Apple employees that all Apple stores globally will be stocked with new MacBooks starting the week of May 25. :):):)

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
My local best buy stores always have open box specials on macbooks on the website. But as soon as you try to check out after adding the notebook to your cart it says the item is not available at this time.

This is because you have to go to the store for open-box deals. I've never been able to check out because of this:
ONLY 1 AVAILABLE
This item, at this price, is available only at this specific store. However, inventory levels change quickly and this item may no longer be in stock. Not eligible for purchase online.

JBRipley

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
Went to one of the few Apple stores in Sweden, the one in Täby. They had all colors out for display, but they were all the 1.1 model. Overheard some other customers talking and it seemed that they had a few SG 1.1, some 1.2 silver and no gold in stock.

Managed to pick up a USB-C to USB-A adapter, which nobody else seem to have in stock. So now I'm all prepared for my SG 1.3/256 delivery early next week.

There doesn't seem to be a great way to connect a > 1080p (mini-) display port or HDMI display yet. Not even the Apple sales guy seemed convinced that the HDMI adapter would support that.

SamR123

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Haarlem
Went to one of the few Apple stores in Sweden, the one in Täby. They had all colors out for display, but they were all the 1.1 model. Overheard some other customers talking and it seemed that they had a few SG 1.1, some 1.2 silver and no gold in stock.

Managed to pick up a USB-C to USB-A adapter, which nobody else seem to have in stock. So now I'm all prepared for my SG 1.3/256 delivery early next week.

There doesn't seem to be a great way to connect a > 1080p (mini-) display port or HDMI display yet. Not even the Apple sales guy seemed convinced that the HDMI adapter would support that.

Higher res should work via the AV adapter, right? That's what I've been told. Will try tomorrow morning at the office with my 1920 x 1200 to make sure.

JBRipley

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2015
Stockholm, Sweden
Higher res should work via the AV adapter, right? That's what I've been told. Will try tomorrow morning at the office with my 1920 x 1200 to make sure.

I read a bit about getting 2560x1440 via HDMI for my current display (Dell U2711) and it seems to only officially support 1080p (1920x1080). For native resolution, DVI or displayport is required. So it seems my alternatives are to wait for a USB-C hub with displayport support for that resolution, or a display that natively supports USB-C.

I'd want some kind of hub anyway, to attach my keyboard and other peripherals, so I think I'll wait for that. I'll upgrade my display when I can get a 5K for a decent price, together with a laptop that supports it (rMPBP MK III?).

lynxdeb

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
Hi guys

I'm in New York this week for holiday, do you know if there is any store which have in stock to buy the base model? I've called the one 5th ave but was not so lucky...

Many thanks!

SamR123

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Haarlem
I read a bit about getting 2560x1440 via HDMI for my current display (Dell U2711) and it seems to only officially support 1080p (1920x1080). For native resolution, DVI or displayport is required. So it seems my alternatives are to wait for a USB-C hub with displayport support for that resolution, or a display that natively supports USB-C.

I'd want some kind of hub anyway, to attach my keyboard and other peripherals, so I think I'll wait for that. I'll upgrade my display when I can get a 5K for a decent price, together with a laptop that supports it (rMPBP MK III?).

I just tested it with the display at the office, 1920 x 1200 works fine and without any issue. Connecting a Dell 2560 x 1440 via HDMI Didn't' work though, it shows images but not at native resolution. Couldn't even go to 1200 and 1080i was the best I could pick.

smstrebor

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2015
I found them in-store first thing in the morning at opening time 10.00am
I think that Causeway bay store might get more stock than the other two HK apple stores ,but not sure.

This is crazy even having to say this about a brand new product which has been launched, but, Good luck in finding one somewhere.

No luck in Festival Walk at Hong Kong. The staff said they could get few models occasionally. I guess I need to check the stock in the opening time.

DanielNTX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2005
Just got a rMacBook 1.2 512 GB in Space Gray for $1182.59 at Best Buy. Now it's not the color I wanted (Gold), but for the price I will live with it. :eek:

OIIn77Q.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.