Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archiewillis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Hey,

I purchased a Macbook pro 2016 w/touch bar online and the other day it froze whilst i was using it and then shut down and "your system restarted because of a failure press any button to continue" or something along those lines appeared. Pressed a button, waited for it to load but it got stuck for ages whilst loading so i turned it off. On reboot the fans come on first and slowlu get louder and more aggressive, then after 5-10 minutes the screen turns on but stays dark blue for a few minutes and then a flashing folder with a question mark in the middle shows up. It just repeats doing that until turned off.

It wint boot into safe mode. It will boot into internet recovery mode after holding the right shortcut buttons for about 10 minutes but wont detect the internal ssd when i open disk utility. Ive tried downloading the OS to an externam hard drive and booting on that which also doesnt work and takes just as long for the screen to show up BUT this time it says "a critical update os required for your mac" but when i try to do that update it fails and just repeaedly tells me to shutdowm or try again.

I took the macbook to the apple store and after a test the guy said there was no signs of internal damage and he couldnt tell what was wrong (he took it out back so i dont know what tests he did)

I bought this macbook pro second hand and the guy at the apple store did inform me that the previous owner had come in with the same problem but didnt know how they fixed it!

If anyone coyld offer any info please i would really appreciate it!!

Thank you

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
I agree with Maflynn... There's probably a faulty hardware component causing the issues. Returning is the best option imo.

archiewillis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Return it, there's no way you should be dealing with that sort of problem right at the get go

Yeah I think that's what im going to do. Disappointing as I made a couple of tracks I really liked but hadn't backed it up as I only had it a week. AHH well, will teach me to back up more often

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Wow that sounds crazy. I know nothing about computers tbh but I would guess it's the hardware or something. Like maybe the chips has something wrong or logic board or the ssd. Like there could be a problem on the SSD physically like a bad pin or 2 then it won't recognize it.

But I wouldn't know. My guess is as good as any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.