Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chumps52

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Scotland
In the market for a MBP, just had a few questions:
Is the new-style keyboard really that bad? If not, I guess I'll wait and see if anything is announced at WWDC.
If it really is terrible, which model is the most recent without the butterfly keyboard? Am I right in thinking the 2015 models are the old-style?

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
Yes, the 2015 use the old keyboard.

I don’t have one but I tried a few in store and from colleagues and I really like the feel of the new keyboards. Some hate it though so you should try it first. What really bothers me is that they are not reliable. Apple is probably going to address this issue soon but for now, if you decide to get one, buy Apple Care with it.

Waiting for WWDC is the best thing to do IMO, the new ones might have improved keyboards and specs upgrade.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Personally I like to type on the new keyboard. it is different than the old version, but after a little bit of getting use to the typing experience is just as good if not a little better. at least for me.
BUT, there seams to be a problem with the new butterfly mechanics and getting stuck/unresponsive, I have not experienced it yet, but my machine is only a month old.

So if you can wait, then wait

chumps52

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Scotland
Yes, the 2015 use the old keyboard.

I don’t have one but I tried a few in store and from colleagues and I really like the feel of the new keyboards. Some hate it though so you should try it first. What really bothers me is that they are not reliable. Apple is probably going to address this issue soon but for now, if you decide to get one, buy Apple Care with it.

Waiting for WWDC is the best thing to do IMO, the new ones might have improved keyboards and specs upgrade.

Personally I like to type on the new keyboard. it is different than the old version, but after a little bit of getting use to the typing experience is just as good if not a little better. at least for me.
BUT, there seams to be a problem with the new butterfly mechanics and getting stuck/unresponsive, I have not experienced it yet, but my machine is only a month old.

So if you can wait, then wait

Thanks! Will wait and see what WWDC brings, if anything, and then try in-store.

smallcoffee

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2014
North America
In the market for a MBP, just had a few questions:
Is the new-style keyboard really that bad? If not, I guess I'll wait and see if anything is announced at WWDC.
If it really is terrible, which model is the most recent without the butterfly keyboard? Am I right in thinking the 2015 models are the old-style?

No it's not. Ignore anybody who is suggesting buying a 3+ year old machine. Wait for WWDC.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I've had a 2016 keyboard go bad, and most recently a 2017 that my partner uses also had to have a $795 repair. I've had close to a dozen MBP's throughout the years and other than the hapless dGPU's and occasional bad HDD/battery, they've been rock solid.

Wait for the new machines, unless class action goes through, a 2016/2017 are ticking $795 time bombs without expensive AppleCare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.