Macbook Pro won't switch back to internal speakers after bluetooth headphones

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamAshleyBlogs, Jan 18, 2017.

1. SamAshleyBlogs macrumors regular

Longest title ever. But.

I was listening to music on my new 13" macbook pro (with touchbar) earlier while working. After turning them off, confirming they're not connected to my computer anymore, confirming they're not on the list in my sound preferences, selecting "internal speakers" in sound preferences, and ensuring that the mute box isn't checked I STILL can't hear any audio.

Sure, I could restart my computer and have it work again. But I'm working and I don't want to save everything I'm working on, restart, re-open, etc. It shouldn't be this hard to switch between audio sources. Let me rephrase, actually. It shouldn't be completely glitchy and impossible to switch between audio sources when all appears to be working properly on the surface.

Fixes? Thoughts?

2. SB-MBP macrumors 6502

SB-MBP

Seems like a software glitch unique to the new models. If there's any way to report it to Apple - perhaps take it to the local Apple store? Then at least they can work on a fix.

Until then, no idea other than a fresh install of OS X as to what might fix it :-/

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I and others have had similar trouble with older models. I think it may be a hardware issue, never did fully resolve it. For a new machine I'd call Apple.

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

This has happened to me a couple of times in the last few months. Suck it up and restart. It's an easy fix.

5. SamAshleyBlogs thread starter macrumors regular

I know restarting isn't "hard". I know it doesn't take a ton of time. But I'm not sure you go from headphones to not as much as I do in a day. For a machine that costs this much money, I shouldn't have to restart all day because the audio glitches out.

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I go from headphones to speakers to airplay/Bluetooth streaming and back probably close to 100 times a day. The odd restart every couple of weeks is the a deal breaker for me. Sure, I wish it would work perfectly, but it's not as much of an inconvenience to me as it is to you, clearly.

7. SamAshleyBlogs thread starter macrumors regular

Did an SMC reset. Worked for a little while. Then, internal speakers stopped working again—this time without bluetooth headphones even being connected. Lawd.

8. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Have you talked to Apple yet? Maybe they know of this issue.

9. SamAshleyBlogs thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. They had me do the SMC reset. The problem is that it's glitchy. The SMC reset seemed to work at first, but clearly it didn't hold. Kinda hard to know that on the call. :sigh:

10. SamAshleyBlogs thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, now I don't even have to use my headphones for it to stop working. Internal speakers were working; then, I muted them while on a phone call (on my phone, not computer). Unmuted after the call. And now no workie.

What. In the hell.

11. jerryk macrumors 68020

That is very strange. I use my Bose QC35s with my 2015 15" pro and have no issues.

What headphones are you using? And have you tried other headphone/speakers.

12. SamAshleyBlogs thread starter macrumors regular

I was using my bluetooth Beats. But now it just happens intermittently even without connecting them.

13. jerryk macrumors 68020

I would take it in.

14. colinwil macrumors regular

It may be a thing with the latest OS update? I had the same thing on my iMac 5k yesterday so it may be nothing to do with your MBP. Frustrating. A reboot sorted it out, but I couldn't fix it just with 'settings'

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Yeah dude, return your laptop. It happens to me maybe a couple of times a month. It sounds like you have it every few hours. There's something seriously wrong with your machine.