Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jibberia

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
Oh - screen buzzing aside - those benchmarks are AMAZING!!! I just ran the benchmark in CS2 on my dual 2.7 with 3.5GB RAM - 41 seconds.

This completely blows my mind! I thought rosetta was going to make photoshop crraaawwwllll....

..Just ran the benchmark on my 1.67 / 1.5gb powerbook - wow. 2:08.

I'm about to order a macbook now!

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Apple Corps said:
RichP - thanks. Was it single or double boxed?
double boxed and in a plastic bag inside the box. the packing is SMALL.

and about the brick, its bigger, but not super mammouth. Stil has the cord wraps on the side and such, and its really no thicker than earlier adapters.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
RichP - thanks again. Like many, I have a stock 1.83 currently scheduled for late March - will probably get some ADDITIONAL feelers out for resellers that might beat that date.

Many of us are sooooooooo envious:D

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Kaiser Phoenix said:
Well centrinos have excellent battery life...Like my friends Sony TX gets about 7 hours of battery life with his pentium m.
I know people like comparing battery life, but the Sony TX is a totally different beast to the MBP. It's an ultralight laptop with a 11" screen, 4200rpm HD and a single core 1.2GHz ulv CPU. You need to compare 3 1/2 hour battery life to a normal 15" laptop, say the Sony Vaio FS680 which gets 2 1/4 hours battery life.

I'm not going to go into any more research on this. I'm sure there's someone out there who could find a 15" Windows PC with better battery life than the MBP, but I just looked at 15" Sonys. Edit: Actually, that CNET review give the Dell Inpiron 6000 battery life as 5 hours.

Laptop design is a matter of compromise. You're not going to get a mainstream CPU on a 15" screen with a fast hard drive getting anywhere near 7 hours.

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
plinden said:
I know people like comparing battery life, but the Sony TX is a totally different beast to the MBP. It's an ultralight laptop with a 11" screen, 4200rpm HD and a single core 1.2GHz ulv CPU. You need to compare 3 1/2 hour battery life to a normal 15" laptop, say the Sony Vaio FS680 which gets 2 1/4 hours battery life.

I'm not going to go into any more research on this. I'm sure there's someone out there who could find a 15" Windows PC with better battery life than the MBP, but I just looked at 15" Sonys. Edit: Actually, that CNET review give the Dell Inpiron 6000 battery life as 5 hours.

Laptop design is a matter of compromise. You're not going to get a mainstream CPU on a 15" screen with a fast hard drive getting anywhere near 7 hours.

good point and this was one of the reason why I decided not to get 7200rpm hard drive...I don't think speed difference is that big to take a chance on faster drain of battery.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Honestly, the battery life that has been reported so far is really not that bad, at least in my experience. I had a PowerBook G4 15" running at 1 GHz that would only get around 2 hours and 45 minutes of battery life. This was witht the processor set to automatic performance and the screen turned down about 4 or 5 bars.

For me, this battery performance is acceptable. The performance of the battery should increase once there are more applications that are Universal and do not rely on Rosetta. Think about it: there will be more memory that will not be filled and Rosetta won't be running in the background constantly spitting out translated code so that the PowerPC apps will run. The draw on the processor(s) should decrease, thus increasing batter life.

tokin

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2006
NYC
mine just got delivered. will go home, unpack, train battery, and run some benchmarks and post later tonight.

2.0/7200RPM 100gb HD/1GIG RAM

EDIT: Please PM me with any benchmark requests + a link, just in case

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
tokin said:
mine just got delivered. will go home, unpack, train battery, and run some benchmarks and post later tonight.

2.0/7200RPM 100gb HD/1GIG RAM

So excited for you! I'm getting more and more anxious to get my money in order to go buy one for myself.

Can't wait to see one in person.

tokin

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2006
NYC
plinden said:

My current T40 thinkpad w/ a 73WHour battery and a 1.6GHz Pentium M processor gets ~7 hours of battery life with all settings turned down. When the battery reaches 60 WHours, it approximately gets 5:30-6:25 of lifetime... but then again, it's slow and bogged down with tons of Windowz ********.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
More photos here:
http://www.looprumors.com/MacBook.php

I'm going to the Apple Store tonight. Hope they have one out to play with!

Even if the charger brick is bigger than before (but clearly smaller than AirPort Express--thanks Sogo), I'm glad it keeps the design with the collapsing prongs and the cable wrap that pops out. It's the best charger design I've ever used--and I can't say the same for the old yo-yo :eek: Plus... you get MagSafe!

PS, I wouldn't mind having the charger INTERNAL (with retracting cable, naturally) on some future machine--or better yet, make it the same size as the optical drive. So you can pick EITHER the optical OR the charger to use externally... or leave either one behind. I'd often put the charger in the machine and leave the optical at home. I know this would hamper portability and thinness... but carrying a charger hampers portability too (and adds the same weight to your bag). It's always amazed me how they've let laptops get SO much smaller over the last 10 years, yet never bothered to move the charger inside. An internal charger isn't right for everyone, but would be a great option for people like me that travel often, but often use wall power even so.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
rogiercreemers said:
Jason O'Grady did a battery test on his MBP, and it gave up after about two hours and a half. More info:
http://www.powerpage.org/archives/2006/02/macbook_pro_battery_benchmarks.html#008641

Hmm. So a warning after 2 hours 30 and it went into sleep at 2 hours 38 mins.

The thing that I notice here is that the screen brightness is 75 percent. If Apple are to be believed with the 67% brighter screen claims then I'd guess that 75 percent on the Macbook is at least comparable to 100 percent on a Powerbook.

I'm fairly sure that I'd have seen similar results with a 15" G4 Powerbook if the screen was 100% bright. Again, it depends on what else was happening on there at the time but I'll be happier when I've seen some more real world tests from other users.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
This may seem like a silly question, but is the reach of the new power adapter with extension attached the same as the PowerBook? I only ask because mine just makes it to the couch (sofa in English ;)) and I need to lounge about even when I need a charge.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
nagromme said:
More photos here:

I'm going to the Apple Store tonight. Hope they have one out to play with!

Even if the charger brick is bigger than before (but clearly smaller than AirPort Express--thanks Sogo), I'm glad it keeps the design with the collapsing prongs and the cable wrap that pops out. It's the best charger design I've ever used--and I can't say the same for the old yo-yo :eek: Plus... you get MagSafe!

PS, I wouldn't mind having the charger INTERNAL (with retracting cable, naturally) on some future machine--or better yet, make it the same size as the optical drive. So you can pick EITHER the optical OR the charger to use externally... or leave either one behind. I'd often put the charger in the machine and leave the optical at home. I know this would hamper portability and thinness... but carrying a charger hampers portability too (and adds the same weight to your bag). It's always amazed me how they've let laptops get SO much smaller over the last 10 years, yet never bothered to move the charger inside. An internal charger isn't right for everyone, but would be a great option for people like me that travel often, but often use wall power even so.

i'm not interested in that - a smaller thinner machine is far better than a thicker machine with the brick inside.

if i'm not mistaken, Brother (the printer/typewriter company) tried it once, as well as putting a printer (yes, really) in a laptop.

neither sold well, at all. they weren't that big and heavy, compared to other models of the time, but nobody was interested.

i wouldn't buy one, ever.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
bigandy said:
if i'm not mistaken, Brother (the printer/typewriter company) tried it once, as well as putting a printer (yes, really) in a laptop.

I have an old Siemens machine with the charger built in. It looks like a paving slab.

I'd rather go with an external charger too.

mrfop

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2006
nomad01 said:
Hmm. So a warning after 2 hours 30 and it went into sleep at 2 hours 38 mins.

Oh dear, so now we see the true reasoning behind the MagSafe ... Apple must be hoping the plug finds its own way to the MBP as oftern as possible!!! ;)

seancusick

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2005
Come on new Macbook owners....You are being a bit tight lip on details-

share:

Is it cooler than PB's?
Please expand on the screen noise...
Anyone take a shot next to a cinema display to compare?
Batt. life- anyone test after a callibration?
Speed tests with the full 2 gig ram.
Front row- slow? Will it run front row with a closed lid?

I am in the stepchildren shipping plan- a upgraded 1.83. No shipping love for us. All you lucky new owners, please remember how you felt 2 days ago and post some new details.

Thanks!

Sogo

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
Heb1228 said:
I don't know how they measure brightness, but you're probably right that visually it may not look 67% brighter... but then I'm not used to comparing the brightness of stuff so it might be hard to say.

But the latest Powerbook were already significantly brighter than the older versions, and now the MacBooks are even brighter than the newest PBs... You don't want to feel like you're staring into a flashlight, do you? :)

I thought the macbook pro displays were the same as the new resolution ones that came out a couple months ago...???

Heb1228 said:
I don't know how they measure brightness, but you're probably right that visually it may not look 67% brighter... but then I'm not used to comparing the brightness of stuff so it might be hard to say.

But the latest Powerbook were already significantly brighter than the older versions, and now the MacBooks are even brighter than the newest PBs... You don't want to feel like you're staring into a flashlight, do you? :)

tenacious_dee

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2003
seancusick said:
Come on new Macbook owners....You are being a bit tight lip on details-

share:

Is it cooler than PB's?
Please expand on the screen noise...
Anyone take a shot next to a cinema display to compare?
Batt. life- anyone test after a callibration?
Speed tests with the full 2 gig ram.
Front row- slow? Will it run front row with a closed lid?

I am in the stepchildren shipping plan- a upgraded 1.83. No shipping love for us. All you lucky new owners, please remember how you felt 2 days ago and post some new details.

Thanks!

Me too! Now I have to decide if it's worth my while to even read these forums - I'm so jealous of all you! Congrats!

But when will my stinkin 1.83 ship?!?!? Grrrr......:confused: :mad: :confused: :mad:

unten44

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
California
CTO 2.16ghz MacBook Pro built and now shipping!

My 2.16 ghz MacBook Pro shipped last night with an estimated FedEx delivery date of this Friday!

This is big news (for me any way) because Apple originally said it would take 3-4 weeks to ship the newer 2.16ghz model. :D

Here's a picture of my order status

Unfortunately my girl friend's 1.83 ghz model still has an estimated Feb 28th ship date. :(

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
unten44 said:
My 2.16 ghz MacBook Pro shipped last night with an estimated FedEx delivery date of this Friday!

This is big news because Apple originally said it would take 3-4 weeks to ship the newer 2.16ghz model.

Here's a picture of my order status

:D

Congrats Buddy!

Just out of interest what made you go for the higher spec $300 for another 160Mhz seems quite alot.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
bigandy said:
i'm not interested in that - a smaller thinner machine is far better than a thicker machine with the brick inside.

And I though I remembered Canon selling a laptop with an inkjet printer inside!

My point is that if you have to carry the charger anyway (which people do 99% of the time), then carrying two pieces--and associated cord mess--is always harder than carrying one with the cord nicely retracted. I agree that most people would choose the two-pieces-and-spaghetti route anyway, but I wouldn't!

Add up the volume of a modern laptop and volume of a modern charger. (Count the wrapped cable too--I know there's air in the middle of that, but we'll call that room for the retracting spring.) How much % would really be added? Not much. Weight? Sure--but you carry the charger's weight already (including its housing which would no longer be needed). And chargers can be made in a thin form factor--it would be a re-arranging of the internals to make it work the best Apple could--it need not be significantly thicker than now. I don't think they will do it ever because demand isn't there, but IMHO demand should be there :)

Sogo said:
I thought the macbook pro displays were the same as the new resolution ones that came out a couple months ago...???
No. It's a new wider/shorter shape (and thus different pixel dimensions), and Apple does say it's even brighter again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.