Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

godbout

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Montreal, Canada
So me and a buddy are comparing my laptop (see sig) to a MBP 2.0 and he did the photoshop test (CS1) in 49s while mine took 1min 55s! That is simply amazing! Also we tried to see if we could take advantage of the dual cores by running an itunes encoding in parallel with the PS test and the MBP got 1min 27 sec for both and the PB got 3min 24sec for both to be completed. Oddly enough it SEEMs that the MBP is just faster but you don't get an increase in the speed when you are running multiple threads. I know that this is not the best test in the world but it is interesting none the less.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Sorry guys, I was away.

Yes, my machine arrived this morning and was on that plane that left early this morning; arrived in NY early this morning, then on a truck by 830. My ETA was Wed at 10:30AM though!

And yes, CS2 is running under Rosetta, which is what makes the benchmarks I posted so remarkable. If it is doing this well in an unoptimized emulation environment, imagine it native, optimized...and one can only have their mouth water at what the desktop is going to be like!

imarqs

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2006
Erasing Hard drive with the magnet plug?

I was readying the User Manual of the MacBook PRO, while i wait for my new one to arrive, and in page 30 I found this:

Warning: The MacBook Pro power adapter port contains a magnet that can erase
data on a credit card, iPod, or other device. To preserve your data, keep these and
other magnetic media away from the power adapter port.

And I guess....if it can damage the hard drive of the iPod, why couldn't it damage the hard drive of the computer itself??!! :eek:

I mean, it's easy that accidentaly, the power adapter magnetic port gets in contact with the back of the laptop when you go with it inside a backpack or case. I that case, the magnet port could accidentaly erase or damage the drive of the MacBook. Noooooooo!!

I hope the aluminum shield of the MacBook protects it from his own magnetic plug! Anybody thinks they thought about it? I hope it's a YES.

darwin022

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
DC
intlplby said:
keep in mind with CS2... load time is dependent on a lot more than just the computer... extra fonts, plugins and brushes slow it down considerably.....

mine loaded in 23 seconds with no extras

three and a half hours to copy your old data? what are you copying...... it's took me 3.5 hours to copy over 400 gigs over FW400 a week ago..... the macbook drive isn't bigger than 120GB tops.... how is it taking you that long?

It starts out saying it is going to take that long, it's down to ~40 minutes remaining... about 50 GB of user data (goddamn music), about 10GB for applications and another 10GB for other files/data. I could have cleaned it out, but I'll get to that once it boots.

39 minutes remaining...

And yes, I am noticing the screen buzz... right now I have a pair of AKG 701 headphones burning in right next to the Pro book and my "quiet" P4 workstation and server under the desk so I can't really hear it.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
godbout said:
So me and a buddy are comparing my laptop (see sig) to a MBP 2.0 and he did the photoshop test (CS1) in 49s while mine took 1min 55s! That is simply amazing! Also we tried to see if we could take advantage of the dual cores by running an itunes encoding in parallel with the PS test and the MBP got 1min 27 sec for both and the PB got 3min 24sec for both to be completed. Oddly enough it SEEMs that the MBP is just faster but you don't get an increase in the speed when you are running multiple threads. I know that this is not the best test in the world but it is interesting none the less.

Well, CS2, and I would assume Rosetta, are both multithreaded applications; so they are using both cores, so the machine will slow down if it is doing 2 tasks

L

Lau

imarqs said:
I hope the aluminum shield of the MacBook protects it from his own magnetic plug! Anybody thinks they thought about it? I hope it's a YES.

I'm sure they did think about it. :p

The magnet probably isn't that strong, and the hard drive will be a few inches away. However, if you were to put a credit card or iPod right next to it, it may wipe it. I would say unlikely, but probably worth being careful.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
imarqs said:
I was readying the User Manual of the MacBook PRO, while i wait for my new one to arrive, and in page 30 I found this:

Warning: The MacBook Pro power adapter port contains a magnet that can erase
data on a credit card, iPod, or other device. To preserve your data, keep these and
other magnetic media away from the power adapter port.

And I guess....if it can damage the hard drive of the iPod, why couldn't it damage the hard drive of the computer itself??!! :eek:

I mean, it's easy that accidentaly, the power adapter magnetic port gets in contact with the back of the laptop when you go with it inside a backpack or case. I that case, the magnet port could accidentaly erase or damage the drive of the MacBook. Noooooooo!!

I'm sure they considered this when designing the connector, as well as when they designed the Apple remote for the MPB and iMac. There is actually little chance of a magnet of that strength doing much damage to a hard drive, if at all. It is actually quite suprising how much magnetic force is needed to change a bit on the drive. I don't think you really have anything to worry about there.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Prints said:
I'm in Albuquerque, NM. Mine still says

Feb 21, 2006 2:25 AM Departed FedEx location INDIANAPOLIS, IN

?? What's with FedEx ? and I'm going out of town tomorrow morning when it is going to arrive !@?*

If it hasn't been delivered yet today, it likely isn't going to be delivered today for whatever reason. You could call up your local center and see if you can find out if they have it, and pick it up directly when you have time.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2004
jermsmingy said:
I got mine this morning!
2.16Ghz
1GB Ram
7200rpm 100gb drive
256vram

I use handbrake to encode all my dvd's for my ipod. My iMac g5 1.8ghz with 1 gig of ram encoded on average about 17-18fps sometimes as high as 25fps, I popped in National Treasure today and rip the whole thing, with an average of 60fps. :)

Jeremy

wow thats fantastic news.....can yuo tell me the settings you are using to encode? i usually do 2pass encoding, 1000 bit rate, h264 on my powerbook and get like 5fps tops, and around 15-19 on my 1.8gh g5 imac

i thought the handbrake build for x86 was only beta and not yet optimized?

please let me know your settings and stuff, either here or PM me

thanks

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
unten44 said:
Part of me figured that if I was one of the "first in line" to order a 2.16ghz model, then I might get this CTO order faster than competing with all the 1.83 and 2.0 ghz orders. I might have been right since my girl friend's 1.83 ghz model was ordered at the same time as mine and her's still has a Feb 28th ship date.

Another part of me just wanted the faster processor since I already shelled out the $$$ for the max 2gb of ram and max 120gb hard drive. (Plus it might be worth more on eBay later!)

The "kid in me" convinced the "rational part of me" with this lame excuse: I figured that it's not just one processor core that gets a 160mhz speed boost. It's two. :)

:) I understand! I would have probably done the same if I had enough money!

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Aaon said:
I'm sure they considered this when designing the connector, as well as when they designed the Apple remote for the MPB and iMac. There is actually little chance of a magnet of that strength doing much damage to a hard drive, if at all. It is actually quite suprising how much magnetic force is needed to change a bit on the drive. I don't think you really have anything to worry about there.

Credit cards on the other hand... definitely keep those away. The magnetic strip in CCs and similar are designed to be easily readable at slow speeds (compared to a platter). This also means they are easily writable at slow speeds. We had fun in a physics class erasing and re-writing hotel card keys with random data using home-brewed electromagnets.

bigfib

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
godbout said:

Itunes is multithreaded...
Hey, I tell you a great test if you have two macs side by side... Load the same CD into itunes on both using apple lossless... Then, select the tracks and convert them from lossless to mp3...
My intelImac finishes the album before the g3 finishes a track.
If you look at the activity monitor you can see that itunes uses nearly 100% of both cores.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
godbout said:
So me and a buddy are comparing my laptop (see sig) to a MBP 2.0 and he did the photoshop test (CS1) in 49s while mine took 1min 55s! .

Wow, I had to read that twice to realize you are saying the MBP w/ Rosetta was twice as fast as the 1.67 G4.

Got my Macbook Pro today, I'm having fun... Now the hunting and waiting for Universal binaries begins.

darwin022

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
DC
a few quick things from the first boot....
OMG This thing is bright... and I think the wifi reception is much improved (as of first impressions)... I am in a basement right now and I'm picking up a signal I've never seen with my G4 Pbook

edit: jesus this thing is fast....

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
imarqs said:
Fear not. Apple's not that stupid :) In fact, I believe every Mac laptop for years has has a magnet (somewhere near the hinge) which is used to detect when the lid opens/closes. And every laptop with speakers has magnets in the speakers.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
darwin022 said:
OMG This thing is bright... and I think the wifi reception is much improved (as of first impressions)... I am in a basement right now and I'm picking up a signal I've never seen with my G4 Pbook

That's it I'm sold, I'm buying one.... now where did I leave that USD$2,499 ;)

godbout

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
Montreal, Canada
seancusick said:
so, does the screen "buzz" or not?

I am pretty sure that it is not the screen. It goes away when you start a task (just for a second) but then it is back. Oddly when you have the isight on in photobooth (is that what it is called?) it goes away... The buzzing that I am getting is NOT the screen... weird

radian23

Jan 19, 2005
godbout said:
I am pretty sure that it is not the screen. It goes away when you start a task (just for a second) but then it is back. Oddly when you have the isight on in photobooth (is that what it is called?) it goes away... The buzzing that I am getting is NOT the screen... weird
I don't have an MBP but i have a very similar problem with my dell 600m (and many others ;) ). When its quite sometimes i can hear a weird buzzing sound but when i scroll a page or click it stops buzzing and when i'm where i want it starts again. Maybe apple gets there parts from the same place as dell :cool: Wouldn't that be nice:rolleyes:

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
darwin022 said:

I'm sold based off the edited comment

haha

seriously though - I need a new MBP to replace a Rev A 17" PB. As soon as the Rev B comes out (hopefully around the 2.2 - 2.4 ghz) range, I'll upgrade. My 17" still has a lot of life but is just to heavy to lug around

Any word on how office preforms? oh and can it handle multi party ichat conf?

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
Heb1228 said:
You don't want to feel like you're staring into a flashlight, do you? :)
No, we want to feel like we're staring into a flashlight that you can turn down for more battery life. :)
Anyways, congratulations to all the new MBP owners! Enjoy your comp! And don't forget to calibrate that battery! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.