macOS 10.14 Mojave on Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by dosdude1, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. tn-xyz macrumors regular

tn-xyz

seriously: you don't have to justify anything.

2. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Good luck on your exams, buddy.

3. mikejrslac macrumors newbie

I have the same computer. How did you accomplish this ? Did you install from usb bootstick adding "-no_compat_check" to kernel boot arguments or did you install on virtual machine ? Thanks,

4. weckart macrumors 601

Clone the Mojave installation from a supported machine. Replace the PlatformSupport.plist with that from a High Sierra installation on the iMac and add the above kernel boot argument.

5. Czo macrumors 6502

Why you add no compat check if you modify PlatformSupport? The -no-compat-check disables the checking of the PlatformSupport.plist by the bootloader.

6. MacCrack™ macrumors newbie

MacCrack™

It will when you have the right video card.

Screenshot 2018-06-09 at 23.22.16-clean.png

7. Mikevdkooij macrumors newbie

Hope that Mojave will be installable on my iMac Mid 2010 :p

8. sXpTv, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

sXpTv macrumors newbie

sXpTv

Nice, i was finally able to install Mojave DP1 on my iMac Late 2009 27".
    I needed to boot in -x in order to finish the setup and get to the desktop. Finder and AirPort doesn't work.
    Everything else is working fine. I can connect my KB and mouse via bt and ethernet for internet access.

Now i need to buy a new GPU and WiFi card to get this ready for mojave :D

[​IMG]

9. Killa Aaron macrumors 6502

Killa Aaron

While this is cool however this isn't as feasible as to just buying a new iMac, too many downsides but kudos.:)

10. weckart macrumors 601

Try booting without the boot arg in place.

11. Mikevdkooij macrumors newbie

Nice to see! So the iMac mid 2010 might be capable of doing this as well? How did you bypass the "This version of macOS is not supported on this platform" screen?

12. iphone2g&3gfan macrumors regular

I think by PlatformSupport.plist edits + boot-args:"-no_compat_check"

13. Mikevdkooij macrumors newbie

Would be great if this would work. I have an iMac mid 2010 27" 8GB's of RAM, HD 5670 and an SSD and it still works amazing. Why would I upgrade it if I can update to the latest MacOS :D

14. thewebgal macrumors member

thewebgal

Quite a graphics card - is it a new addition to your machine, or did you run it with High Sierra as well?

15. Badruzeus macrumors member

Badruzeus

My 2nd Gen. h*ckintosh laptop (Asus A43SJ) uses Nvidia Fermi GF119 (non-Optimus), QE/CI are well enabled but since macOS Sierra-hSierra-Mojave; the main problem is WindowServer crash if changing Display resolution.

[​IMG]
    (sorry, was using 10.11.6's DVD Player.app, I didn't get it under 10.14 Beta)

Metal platform however, a little bit confusing me. Apple SysInfo said, it is Metal supported. But OpenGL Ext. Viewer said it doesn't (though I'm pretty sure it is not metal capable, I've done with small metal utility to test and it didn't run). I then tried to disable metal support using lvs1974's NvidiaGraphicsFixup with "ngfxgl=1" boot-arg, now no longer get Metal support (as seen on SysInfo, not sure if it disabled completely) that lead me to new problems: damn slow Preview.app, QuickLook, TextEdit, Notes, Safari.. ouch.. almost all built-in mac apps #LoL, and unfortunately still getting windowserver crash with non-native display resolution, invert color from accessibility, flash screen when error occurred, nightshift, even changing display color profiles.

16. MacCrack™ macrumors newbie

MacCrack™

Bought it 6 years ago so yes I ran it with High Sierra too. :)

17. Czo macrumors 6502

If you edit PlatformSupport.plist, the system will boot. I don't prefer this, because Apple's Software Update can easily overwrite this file.
    If you add no-compat-check to boot args via nvram, the system will boot, but resetting PRAM clear this too.
    I think, the best place for boot args, is /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist, because it will be never overwritten by a Software Update.

18. weckart macrumors 601

If you edit PS.plist but don't add the boot arg, it will refuse to boot and will display the forbidden sign. Been there.

19. tsialex macrumors 68030

tsialex

You have to edit on PreBoot also.

20. Czo macrumors 6502

No. It will boot. If you edit PlatformSupport you can skip boot args, if you add boot args, simply skip PS edit. If you boot it via APFS, you should to edit it on preboot partition. If you wan't to boot recovery, edit it on recovery too. If you use NVRAM, you can skip edit everywhere, and it will boot. Thats simple.

21. weckart macrumors 601

D'oh! I knew I forgot something. :oops:

22. yangm macrumors newbie

yangm

I don’t quite understand what you mean. What does “work 60%” mean and which steps should I follow?

23. Mikevdkooij macrumors newbie

Got Mojave running on my iMac late 2010 finally ;-) Only thing is, can't get the HD 5670 to work. And I can't login anymore lol. When I enter my password it freezes, black screen and brings me back to login screen.

24. smokesletsgo macrumors regular

Yeah... Could somebody get into details more? Which .plist do I edit?

25. mat77_mac macrumors newbie

mat77_mac

Guide for iMac mid 2011 easy step by step i have airport compatibile with handoff e continuity new Bluetooth 4 please

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.