Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
How to Install macOS Mojave 10.14.1 Betas

Version two of my script is attached here. You now have to type the name of the package in addition to the path of the folder containing it. This is for compatibility with future versions.

View attachment 798937

Version three of my script is attached here. This update fixes an issue with the previous version that caused the files to not be copied.

Older Versions:
Version One
Version Two

Attachments

• Update Installer.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
I have many partitions but not on one container, just on one disk. Should this work for me? Also, what happens if we just add -no_compat_check but don't use the changeVolumeRole command?

A functional recovery partition on Mojave will require that you have started from a clean install with a freshly partitioned drive with a single APFS partition rather than using the Convert to APFS approach. Currently diskutil doesn't provide a mechanism to convert an existing HFS partitioned drive into a single container APFS (as it only converts single partitions at a time into unique containers and doesn't provide mechanisms for combine containers or move partitions between them). It is unclear exactly what tricks the full installer performs but I suspect it is deleting the previous recovery partitions entirely and recreating new ones within the converted APFS container.

Reactions: jackluke

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018

Version three of my script is attached here. This update fixes an issue with the previous version that caused the files to not be copied.

@DuncanGarp Please try this version.
[doublepost=1540744555][/doublepost]
Ok !
I thought you were talking about the beta of Mojave.

Here are 0.1b7 and 0.1b9.

macOS Mojave Patcher 0.1b7

macOS Mojave Patcher 0.1b9

I think 0.1b7 will do the job.

If it's not the case, I will search also for 0.1b8 in Time Machine if I can find it.

Credits of course to @dosdude1.

Yes please. Could you please find all your older versions? dosdude uploaded beta 6, beta 7, and beta 12 but no other beta versions.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
A functional recovery partition on Mojave will require that you have started from a clean install with a freshly partitioned drive with a single APFS partition rather than using the Convert to APFS approach. Currently diskutil doesn't provide a mechanism to convert an existing HFS partitioned drive into a single container APFS (as it only converts single partitions at a time into unique containers and doesn't provide mechanisms for combine containers or move partitions between them). It is unclear exactly what tricks the full installer performs but I suspect it is deleting the previous recovery partitions entirely and recreating new ones within the converted APFS container.

Yes, the fact is that is still unknown how to re-create only the APFS Recovery, I mean it is a all-in-one block Volume-PreBoot-Recovery-VM, however if you attempt my second post hints about APFS Recovery, it doesn't break nothing, I mean if you have an unbootable APFS Recovery, in that way you could boot a verbose APFS Recovery to check what's behind your prohibitory symbol, or with good luck could boot into Recovery.

Anyway I can guarantee that Recoveries broken occur also on supported macs when a user create, resize or delete partitions. For example when managing Bootcamp to me occurred in past, and had to fix that with fdisk.

Last edited:

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
Yes, the fact is that is still unknown how to re-create only the APFS Recovery, I mean it is a all-in-one block Volume-PreBoot-Recovery-VM, however if you attempt my second post hints about APFS Recovery, it doesn't break nothing, I mean if you have an unbootable APFS Recovery, in that way you could boot a verbose APFS Recovery to check what's behind your prohibitory symbol, or with good luck could boot into Recovery.

Anyway I can guarantee that Recoveries broken occur also on supported macs when a user create, resize or delete partitions. For example when managing Bootcamp to me occurred in past, and had to fix that with fdisk.

Awhile back dosdude1 told me that he was encouraging folks who wanted to use APFS to perform a clean install with migration onto a newly formatted APFS volume rather than attempt the conversion route for that very reason.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Need a little guidance! I downloaded the latest patcher tool from dosdude1 web page. I formated a 64gb SD card as OSX Extended Journaled Guide file system. Whenever I try
I thought you were talking about the beta of Mojave.

Here are 0.1b7 and 0.1b9.

macOS Mojave Patcher 0.1b7

macOS Mojave Patcher 0.1b9
I tried your 0.1b9 tool and it doesn't complete a creation of a patcher disk. It creates errors. I downloaded the latest from dosdude1 web and works perfectly.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Awhile back dosdude1 told me that he was encouraging folks who wanted to use APFS to perform a clean install with migration onto a newly formatted APFS volume rather than attempt the conversion route for that very reason.

Ok but sometimes also "conversion to APFS" worked, of course as you wrote before, the previous HFS Recovery HD is not converted but deleted and re-created by the Installer into its unique APFS Container, I know we have USB Installers, or a previous secondary HFS MacOS Installation, but anyway if you try my suggested steps could attempt to fix it making usable, I can assure that either my early APFS Recovery fix and the recent one doesn't affect the current macOS installations, it's a standalone fix.

After applied my suggested fixes, hold option key after power-on landing at startup manager, highlight with the "keyboard arrows" your Mojave APFS Volume, then hold CMD+R, while keep holding press Enter key, that should force to boot into APFS Recovery targeting your Mojave APFS Container.

Last edited:

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
I had the same thing happen to me as well but I deleted that folder as it took to much space from my hdd

In fact after the copy you should delete the unpackaged "macOS10.14.1" folder in particular the "Payload" folder since it is several Gigabytes, I would suggest to delete putting into trash then open the trash and right click select "Delete Immediately", even if "sudo rm" through Terminal is faster sometimes there is the risk to delete unwanted files/folders.
[doublepost=1540753671][/doublepost]Instead I'd have another idea, but I don't know much the "expand-full" so I'd ask to @ASentientBot , do you think is it plausible to unpackage directly into the target Volume ?

I mean this (only from another mount point as USB Installer):

pkgutil --expand-full /Volumes/path/macOSUpd10.14.1.pkg/Payload/ /Volumes/MojaveLabel/

Or maybe something like:

installer -pkg /Volumes/Path/packagename.pkg -target /Volumes/MojaveLabel/

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
In fact after the copy you should delete the unpackaged "macOS10.14.1" folder in particular the "Payload" folder since it is several Gigabytes, I would suggest to delete putting into trash then open the trash and right click select "Delete Immediately", even if "sudo rm" through Terminal is faster sometimes there is the risk to delete unwanted files/folders.
[doublepost=1540753671][/doublepost]Instead I'd have another idea, but I don't know much the "expand-full" so I'd ask to @ASentientBot , do you think is it plausible to unpackage directly into the target Volume ?
I think that's impossible because you'd have to only unpackage the Payload folder and you'd have to overwrite everything.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
I think that's impossible because you'd have to only unpackage the Payload folder and you'd have to overwrite everything.

I guess you're right, that's should be as regular updates do, first unpackage everything into tmp folder, then copy over, and last delete tmp unpackaged folder.

Or maybe unpackaging into the RAM and then copy over the target destination, but don't know if pkgutil supports digging subfolders on-the-fly unpackaging, while instead zip-rar archives does support that.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
I guess you're right, that's should be as regular updates do, first unpackage everything into tmp folder, then copy over, and last delete tmp unpackaged folder.

Or maybe unpackaging into the RAM and then copy over the target destination, but don't know if pkgutil supports digging subfolders on-the-fly unpackaging, while instead zip-rar archives does support that.
I think my method does it well enough and isn't too complicated.

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
I think my method does it well enough and isn't too complicated.

Of course, waiting a couple more days will likely get you the full installer of the release 10.14.1 which should work via the Mojave Patcher installation approach. With any luck, we may be at the end of the firmware updates with 10.14.1 so future delta Software Updates won't run into this glitch.

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
Of course, waiting a couple more days will likely get you the full installer of the release 10.14.1 which should work via the Mojave Patcher installation approach. With any luck, we may be at the end of the firmware updates with 10.14.1 so future delta Software Updates won't run into this glitch.
I hope so. Only time will tell.

Loyd-01a

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
Need a little guidance! I downloaded the latest patcher tool from dosdude1 web page. I formated a 64gb SD card as OSX Extended Journaled Guide file system. Whenever I try

I tried your 0.1b9 tool and it doesn't complete a creation of a patcher disk. It creates errors. I downloaded the latest from dosdude1 web and works perfectly.

It will alow you to create USB installer only with DP3, build 18A326g (2018/07/03) and before.

I still use it to patch twice during updates like I explaine for each beta updates and it works...

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
With any luck, we may be at the end of the firmware updates with 10.14.1 so future delta Software Updates won't run into this glitch.
I think we are all hoping for this. If not Julian's method will work I guess if we change the package name to match. And the script would have to be modified.

Would there be any benefit to update on the 30th if we are already on the final beta build? The one thing I know for sure is I will probably not update the first build of 10.14.2 or at least not on both unsupported Macs. I will download them, just in case I get the urge!

Last edited:

olad

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
@lloyd-01a - Wait a second? Where are these macOS Mojave Patcher 0.1bx from? @dosdude1's patcher - the original patcher on this thread was already up to 1.22! so why create confusion and make it seem like an extension of the same product, sanctioned by @dosdude1? Why not give a totally different name, instead of making it piggy-back on @dosdude1's patcher and - as already shown by @joelw135 - can cause errors? Nothing wrong with starting another thread for that creation... It is not for nothing some folks on this thread have stated that they would prefer to wait for the official 10.14.1 launch. This series of macOS Mojave Patcher is muddying the waters. It is NOT @dosdude1's no matter the credits given to him nor, (so far) has he indicated any acknowledgement of it on page 1.

Loyd-01a

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
@lloyd-01a - Wait a second? Where are these macOS Mojave Patcher 0.1bx from? @dosdude1's patcher - the original patcher on this thread was already up to 1.22! so why create confusion and make it seem like an extension of the same product, sanctioned by @dosdude1? Why not give a totally different name, instead of making it piggy-back on @dosdude1's patcher and - as already shown by @joelw135 - can cause errors? Nothing wrong with starting another thread for that creation... It is not for nothing some folks on this thread have stated that they would prefer to wait for the official 10.14.1 launch. This series of macOS Mojave Patcher is muddying the waters. It is NOT @dosdude1's no matter the credits given to him nor, (so far) has he indicated any acknowledgement of it on page 1.
Hey man don't be pissed off at me ;-) I just try to help...

We are talking about things that hapened back in july and maybe august.
Take a look a this lin k and you will understand : http://dosdude1.com/mojave/archive/

I hope that @dosdude1 will explore and find what changed between 0.1bx and 1.2.x for Core 2 Duo.
Thank you

Reactions: TimothyR734

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
Actually, if you would have been here from the beginning like me, then you would have read all the posts talking about the new 0.1 beta versions. And as lloyd pointed out, a few of them are uploaded here.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I am running 10.14 on the machine in my signature. Install went fine a few weeks again using dosdude's instructions and applications.

Yesterday, I simply installed the Apple beta profile and 10.14.1 popped up, so I tried installing it. The install hung at 75% of the bar under the Apple logo on the gray screen install. System was toast. I restored my CCC image of 10.14 and I am back up and running.

I need to scour through this thread, but I am getting the feeling that future upgrades even official ones are going to take some hacking? Correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.