Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Just checked Patch Updater and got notice of "News OpenCL Patch" availability. So I installed it and now News works great.

View attachment 837862

As always, Thanks so much @dosdude1 !!!!

Swapped the .3 dyldƒ with the orig. in .6b1, reboot, installed "News OpenCL Patch", reboot. News and + continue to function. Great work by Minh_Ton, jackluke, ASentientBot and the dosdude1 for the timely patch.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Putting OpenCL.framework to Whitelist did not change the News app behaviour on my MacBook5,1. Still no sign of News+. It is nice to know that now I have OpenCL support for it in case it will work in the future.
[doublepost=1558253201][/doublepost]
Thanks @dosdude1, how big are the benefits on applying vs keeping the regular patch (the software based version from the post install patch)? Startup speed? Ability to have a recovery partition? I just want to balance risks and benefits as I am already working with APFS on 10.14.5

I successfully applied APFS ROM patch on my MCP79-based machine. The boot time is now under 40 sec, and I can have multiple bootable APFS partitions. One of the downside of the software based solution(APFS post install patch) is that if you add HFS+ bootable partition say with the Snow Leopard it will default to it at the startup regardless of what you have selected as the startup disk.

Reactions: jackluke and K two

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Illegal instruction errors don't seem to necessarily mean that the app uses unsupported instructions, though. For example, trying to run TextEdit via sudo will cause that error despite not containing any SSE4.2 etc. (I'm not sure what it does mean in those cases, though...)

In any case, we can confirm if App Store is now using advanced instructions using this tool. I'm busy now but does somebody want to check that?

Yep, you're right I've tried from an i5 cpu this from Terminal and get exactly that answer :

sudo /App*/Text*/C*/M*/TextEdit
Illegal instruction: 4

instead without "sudo" works quietly from Terminal:
/App*/Text*/C*/M*/TextEdit

[doublepost=1558254234][/doublepost]
Since updating to 10.14.5 on MacPro 3,1, I am having some issues with the App Store. The app crashes when I jump around in the app and go back to "Discover". This is the only issue that I am having with 10.14.5 otherwise no issues. Are others having the same issue with the App Store crashing when going back to discover a few times?

Have you tried from AppStore's Preferences to disable Video Autoplay ?

I remember it was a very earlier workaround for some GPUs to avoid New App Store "Discover pane" crash.

Last edited:

Dannyy

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2018
Lviv, Ukraine
MacBook Pro 13'' Mid 2009 (macbookpro5,5), Mojave. Problems with CPU temperature. MacBook cpu hitting 90 degrees Celsius immediately after booting in OS, then fan cooling start working at max 6200 rpm, and don't stop until MacBook will go off. CPU temperature when I'm not using MacBook about 80-85 degrees. Before installing Mojave I've been use Yosemite, and there was no problem with that. Also, I removed my battery because of damage, could it affect?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Everything works perfectly and as expected after updating to 10.14.5 on my Macmini5,1 (Mid 2011, i5) - including Flurry and Chess.
Can't really test News as it's empty for me in Europe.
App Store seems stable and smooth.
Cinebench CPU score is exactly the same (2.48). GPU test is not working.

But I had to install the update in Target Disk Mode from a supported Mac, otherwise I got an unsupported device error.
I only tried the official Combo update, as I'm cloning the system to various devices.
Any ideas on how to bypass the apparent compatibility check of Combo Updates?

Reactions: jackluke

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Everything works perfectly and as expected after updating to 10.14.5 on my Macmini5,1 (Mid 2011, i5) - including Flurry and Chess.
Can't really test News as it's empty for me in Europe.
App Store seems stable and smooth.
Cinebench CPU score is exactly the same (2.48). GPU test is not working.

But I had to install the update in Target Disk Mode from a supported Mac, otherwise I got an unsupported device error.
I only tried the official Combo update, as I'm cloning the system to various devices.
Any ideas on how to bypass the apparent compatibility check of Combo Updates?

For using News.app from a non targeted region just open Terminal and copy/paste:

open /App*/News.app

After from the Dock, select the app and "Keep in Dock".

Almost surely you won't have the "News+ tab".

And yes, there is a way to do a manual "Combo Update" but involves editing the Distribution file and manually pkgutil expand the payloads to a temp folder and then rebuild a custom Combo.pkg and/or overwrite that path content to your Mojave root drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: pwm86

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
For using News.app from a non targeted region just open Terminal and copy/paste:

open /App*/News.app

Thanks, but I meant I don't receive any content.
I thought Apple is actively blocking me from seeing content with its com.apple.geod.xpc
News_Ger.png

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Thanks, but I meant I don't receive any content.
I thought Apple is actively blocking me from seeing content with its com.apple.geod.xpc
View attachment 837885

Just type from the upper-left "little magnifying glass" anything you want example:

News+
macbook
apple

And any other key-word, it will find any free web newspaper indexed by http://apple.news

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Just type from the upper-left "little magnifying glass" anything you want example:

News+
macbook
apple

And any other key-word, it will find any free web newspaper indexed by http://apple.news
Shame on me. Thank you for this News 101.
I already modified the macOS-whitelist.txt and so far all looks good.
Not too smooth (~30fps) but far from stuttering.

F150Terp

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2017
Columbia, MD
Yep, you're right I've tried from an i5 cpu this from Terminal and get exactly that answer :

sudo /App*/Text*/C*/M*/TextEdit
Illegal instruction: 4

[doublepost=1558254234][/doublepost]

Have you tried from AppStore's Preferences to disable Video Autoplay ?

I remember it was a very earlier workaround for some GPUs to avoid New App Store "Discover pane" crash.

No luck with the Video Autoplay disabled.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Shame on me. Thank you for this News 101.
I already modified the macOS-whitelist.txt and so far all looks good.
Not too smooth (~30fps) but far from stuttering.

That's right, even using an i5 cpu, News.app appears to be enough heavy for GPU/CPU load, and sometimes I get even less than 30fps .
[doublepost=1558257730][/doublepost]
No luck with the Video Autoplay disabled.

I just checked your app-crashlog, and you have a Metal GPU, so it's really weird your New App Store crashing. Maybe you should try a Nvidia Web Driver.

But I assume you haven't used any "Video Patch" right ?
Because for GTX 770 you have to not use any Video Patch, that should work OOB.

If you used the "Video patch" then you should unpatch completely and it's not simple to go back from that point since you have to unpatch and use the original .5 Mojave of these:

IOGraphicsFamily.kext , IONDRVSupport.kext , IOAccelerator*.kext , AppleGraphics*.kext
OpenGL, GPUSupport and CoreDisplay frameworks

Resuming, with a Metal GPU all those listed should be NOT patched.

Last edited:
Reactions: ASentientBot

Finbarr Cnaipe

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2019
North America
Off-topic question: (probably for dosdude1)...

I have an iMac 11,1 that OWC discovered several years back was capable of 32GB Ram. I did that upgrade, and it's been working great.

I also have a Mac Mini 6,2 (late 2012) which is quad-core i7 w/16GB Ram currently. There is a report posted somewhere (I forget where) asking Apple to update the EFI bios to support 32GB, since the HW/Platform can technically support it. Apple is not going to update the EFI. Is this possible to hack and push like the APFS ROM patch? It would be awesome to take the late 2012 Mini to 32GB Ram...especially for those of us using it as a server...

[edit] Here is the openradar post: http://www.openradar.me/radar?id=6147266599452672

Last edited:
Reactions: ASentientBot

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Just FYI, you don't have to swap the "dyld" folder and install the patch. They are different ways of doing the same thing.

Seemed like undoing the orig. folder swap and applying the "News OpenCL Patch" from the patch updater would be the simple way to go on a .6b1 install. By the time I saw the Terminal info post, the patch had arrived. So I opted for the undo folder swap. Thanks for the tireless efforts. This is a useful and interesting project keeping tons of old Macs away from the recyclers, worldwide.

F150Terp

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2017
Columbia, MD
That's right, even using an i5 cpu, News.app appears to be enough heavy for GPU/CPU load, and sometimes I get even less than 30fps .
[doublepost=1558257730][/doublepost]

I just checked your app-crashlog, and you have a Metal GPU, so it's really weird your New App Store crashing. Maybe you should try a Nvidia Web Driver.

But I assume you haven't used any "Video Patch" right ?
Because for GTX 770 you have to not use any Video Patch, that should work OOB.

If you used the "Video patch" then you should unpatch completely and it's not simple to go back from that point since you have to unpatch and use the original .5 Mojave of these:

IOGraphicsFamily.kext , IONDRVSupport.kext , IOAccelerator*.kext , AppleGraphics*.kext
OpenGL, GPUSupport and CoreDisplay frameworks

Resuming, with a Metal GPU all those listed should be NOT patched.

No Video patch.

Minh_Ton

macrumors member
May 15, 2019
Hue, Vietnam

open /App*/News.app

And yes, there is a way to do a manual "Combo Update" but involves editing the Distribution file and manually pkgutil expand the payloads to a temp folder and then rebuild a custom Combo.pkg and/or overwrite that path content to your Mojave root drive.

@jackluke was right. Launching News app from unsupported regions can be done by Terminal with open /App*/News.app. However, if you want to get News+ pane, just change your Apple ID (iCloud account) region to the United States (just a workaround). Got it tested using all of my family members' Apple ID (I am in Vietnam). I DO NOT RECOMMEND this workaround for those who have their credit card in their Apple ID.

EDIT: You can also change the region into UK or Australia; however, US is the best to get News+.

Last edited:

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
@jackluke was right. Launching News app from unsupported regions can be done by Terminal with open /App*/News.app. However, if you want to get News+ pane, just change your Apple ID (iCloud account) region to the United States (just a workaround). Got it tested using all of my family members' Apple ID (I am in Vietnam). I DO NOT RECOMMEND this workaround for those who have their credit card in their Apple ID.

Well done! So that's the right explanation, the "News+" feature is linked to the "AppleID iCloud account" region rather than the Mojave's System Preferences "Language & Region" or apple geoIP localization. I don't intend to change it since is expectable that from 10.15 the Apple News service should be extended worldwide.

Polydactyl

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
Dosdude, thank you for the wonderful tool. I’ve been using a patched 2010 iMac with an upgraded Nvidia card for more than six months, and you have saved me the unnecessary upgrade to a new system.

I do have a request for your patch updater tool:

Could you provide an option to permanently disable the option for legacy video card patch? I upgraded my iMac to a Metal compatible Nvidia card, yet I get asked by Patch Updater constantly to install the legacy video patch. All it takes is one instance of accidentally pressing return when this notification steals the focus, and my iMac is toast. Also, when you pull up the list of installed patches using CMD-I, and select multiple patches, the button should change to “Reinstall Selected” instead of reinstall all.

This happened to me yesterday, and the end result was that I had to swap out my new card to get the system working again. I tried everything I could thing of before resorting to this option. I’m happy to provide more details, but suffice it to say, the patched installer simply wouldn’t work until I put in the old video card. This was the case even though I had a bootable patched usb installer, a working high sierra partition, a separate HD partition with just the patched installer, and even though I was able to remote desktop into the broken Mojave partition, which loaded fine but with no display.

Thanks for listening.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Dosdude, thank you for the wonderful tool. I’ve been using a patched 2010 iMac with an upgraded Nvidia card for more than six months, and you have saved me the unnecessary upgrade to a new system.

I do have a request for your patch updater tool:

Could you provide an option to permanently disable the option for legacy video card patch? I upgraded my iMac to a Metal compatible Nvidia card, yet I get asked by Patch Updater constantly to install the legacy video patch. All it takes is one instance of accidentally pressing return when this notification steals the focus, and my iMac is toast. Also, when you pull up the list of installed patches using CMD-I, and select multiple patches, the button should change to “Reinstall Selected” instead of reinstall all.

This happened to me yesterday, and the end result was that I had to swap out my new card to get the system working again. I tried everything I could thing of before resorting to this option. I’m happy to provide more details, but suffice it to say, the patched installer simply wouldn’t work until I put in the old video card. This was the case even though I had a bootable patched usb installer, a working high sierra partition, a separate HD partition with just the patched installer, and even though I was able to remote desktop into the broken Mojave partition, which loaded fine but with no display.

Thanks for listening.

Just for curiosity which Nvidia Metal GPU you have installed on your iMac 2010 ?

I guess what you ask is feasible, essentially from what I see around mainly Nvidia GPU are used as Metal GPU Upgrade, so maybe adding simply some check if a Tesla driver is loaded with kextstat | grep GeForceTesla (OR AMDRadeonX3000 OR AppleIntelHDGraphics OR AppleIntelHD3000Graphics) then a "Video Patch" is prompted, else not prompted.

Last edited:

Polydactyl

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
Just for curiosity which Nvidia Metal GPU you have installed on your iMac 2010 ?

I guess what you ask is feasible, essentially from what I see around mainly Nvidia GPU are used as Metal GPU Upgrade, so maybe adding simply some check if a Tesla driver is loaded with kextstat | grep GeForceTesla (OR AMDRadeonX3000 OR AppleIntelHDGraphics OR AppleIntelHD3000Graphics) then a "Video Patch" is prompted, else not prompted.

I have a GTX 765 with the dell/alienware firmware. Thank you!

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
I have a GTX 765 with the dell/alienware firmware. Thank you!

Here is a simple script I made for example.

It just checks for the most popular non-metal GPUs (they are essentially 4), I had to specify separately the IntelHD since the 4000-5000-6000 use the same naming and are Metal supported, while "Nvidia Tesla" should include all the Nvidia GPUs accelerated in this thread.

If you are using a Metal GPU, then you'll receive 4 "No " output lines .

edit: I've used a funny way to check (by choice) without using any conditional constructs, counter or boolean, just "grep" appending a string to kextstat acting as a counter.

Attachments

• GPUkextcheck.command.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

tracer5

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2017
Hawaii - Big Island
Mac mini 4,1:
Installing MacOS 10.14.5 or OTA 10.14.6 Beta 1 using the MacOS Mojave Patcher Tool works very well. After the install the MacOS Post Install Patches are applied for the Macmini 4,1 followed by a Reboot. The system boots just fine. On the desktop pops up the Patch Updater with a Legacy Video Patch. This patch is applied followed by a Reboot, but unfortunately the boot hangs forever with the apple on a white screen and progress bar without any progress. If the Legacy Video Patch is ignored and not applied everything seems to be OK.
Also the News app seems to work properly without any intervention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.