Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Does anyone know of something that is more up to date than the Continuity Activation Tool? On GitHub is seems to be dating back to OS Sierra days, not Mojave.

I use BT4LEContiunityFixup.kext and lilu.kext from the hackintosh forums and add that into my S/L/E folder. However, like the CAT tool, its a bit broken.

You need to find your board id and run the following:

Code:
sudo /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set Mac-F22586C8:ContinuitySupport true" /System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist

Mac-F22586C8 is my board ID which you can find for your machine with the following command:

Code:
ioreg -l | grep "board-id" | awk -F\" '{print $4}'

Once that's done, everything works perfect.

Finbarr Cnaipe

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2019
North America
Does anyone know of something that is more up to date than the Continuity Activation Tool? On GitHub is seems to be dating back to OS Sierra days, not Mojave.

I used this process for my Macbook Pro 8,2. Since this is an "Unsupported Mac", I used dosdude1's tool and patches to install Mojave first. THEN I followed the process below:

Continuity Activation Tool Install: (SIP is assumed disabled)

o All Wi-Fi / Bluetooth Kexts should be Mojave unaltered originals.
o Wi-Fi and Bluetooth should already be working as expected without Continuity.
o Install latest CAT BETA as normal. (Make sure you are using ONLY the latest CAT Beta!)
o Once you reboot, CAT will say it is active, but is likely not really working.

1.) In terminal get YOUR board ID number:
Code:
Example terminal output:
Code:
MBP2011 Board ID:  Mac-94245A3940C91C80

2.) Set SystemParameters.plist Continuity flag to "true":
Code:
sudo nano /System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist
- Search (Ctrl+w) for Board ID (paste YOUR Board ID in the search field and hit enter).
- Change flag from “false” to “true”
- Ctrl+o (write changes), then Ctrl+X (to exit nano).

3.) Set YOUR BoardID in AirportBrcm4360.kext & AirportBrcmNIC.kext:
Code:
sudo -E perl -pi -e "s/\Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86/\Mac-94245A3940C91C80/" /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortBrcm4360
Code:
sudo -E perl -pi -e "s/\Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86/\Mac-94245A3940C91C80/" /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortBrcmNIC

4.) Restart, CAT should be working after you reboot!

Last edited:

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
I used this process for my Macbook Pro 8,2. Since this is an "Unsupported Mac", I used dosdude1's tool and patches to install Mojave first. THEN I followed the process below:

o Install latest CAT BETA as normal. (Make sure you are using ONLY the latest CAT Beta!)

Code:
Example terminal output:
Code:

Code:
sudo nano /System/Library/Frameworks/IOBluetooth.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SystemParameters.plist
- Search (Ctrl+w) for Board ID (paste YOUR Board ID in the search field and hit enter).

Code:
sudo -E perl -pi -e "s/\Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86/\Mac-94245A3940C91C80/" /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortBrcm4360
Code:
sudo -E perl -pi -e "s/\Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86/\Mac-94245A3940C91C80/" /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortBrcmNIC

Step 3 breaks wifi for me every time and requires a reinstall. So just the first two steps is fine + either CAT or the two kexts. I prefer the kext method since the system largely remains untouched. Lilu does on the fly editing

p.s my method posted above is mostly automatic - no searching around for things to replace using nano so it can be fully automated into a bash script (like what i do now)

Reactions: TimothyR734

jasoncarle

Suspended
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota

Code:
Example terminal output:
Code:

Code:

Code:
Code:

I did this, except for step 3, I want and need working wifi. SO far so good!

parrotgeek1

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2016
CA, USA
MBP5,2 17" here on 10.14.5, prepared with dosdude patcher 1.3.2.
I confirm that replacing AppleUSBACM.kext in /System/Library/Extensions with the one from 10.13.6 (zip attached) gets the Arduino online again.
@dosdude1
[doublepost=1558326143][/doublepost]
Alright, got everything figured out!! You all should try it :)

Step by step instruction how to fix News crashes (You now can use News+ :cool::D)

Step 1: Download the zip package below. That is the dyld folder (/System/iOSSupport/dyld) from 10.14.3.
Step 2: Unzip it.
Step 3: Navigate to /System/iOSSupport/, rename dyld to dyld_backup (Type your password if the system ask you to do)
Step 4: Copy the extracted folder from the zip to /System/iOSSupport/ (Type your password if the system ask you to do)

News app should work (it does not crash at all :) ). I will try to write a script in order to install easily.

The result ;) :

View attachment 837737

View attachment 837740

View attachment 837745

The attached zip package:
@dosdude1

pkouame

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2016
I tried to replace some frameworks which are related to the Marzipan apps, especially News, but then I encountered an error that those frameworks are not compatible with newer version Marzipan apps. Then I noticed the dyld folder and the blacklist file (I compared the 10.14.5 with 10.14.3 one and found the different is the AppKit), I tried replacing and it just worked. I cannot understand.

I totally agree with you @ASentientBot. I think that is the reason why in non-accelerated environment, News doesn't crash (maybe).
Again - Great work! As someone suggested (I think it was @ASentientBot ) you definitely deserve an honorable mention on the OP!

I you look at the News+ crash logs some of us posted a while ago - the crashes are very consistent in attempted OpenGL context switches. Now, It sounds like a marzipan UI can fallback to OpenCL if it can't leverage OpenGL shaders. It seems like retro-patching even more from .3 is a viable option going forward...whether we like it or not...hope this lasts.

Question: (since I can't try this myself right now) how is performance of News+ now that it uses a cpu based renderer for some if its effects?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Again - Great work! As someone suggested (I think it was @ASentientBot ) you definitely deserve an honorable mention on the OP!

I you look at the News+ crash logs some of us posted a while ago - the crashes are very consistent in attempted OpenGL context switches. Now, It sounds like a marzipan UI can fallback to OpenCL if it can't leverage OpenGL shaders. It seems like retro-patching even more from .3 is a viable option going forward...whether we like it or not...hope this lasts.

Question: (since I can't try this myself right now) how is performance of News+ now that it uses a cpu based renderer for some if its effects?
It runs pretty smooth for me on my iMac 9,1 had to wipe my hdd on my MacBook 5,2 getting to many beachballs though :)

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018

The "outdated" Continuity Activation Tool (valid only for those who have a Bluetooth 4.x device) works perfectly on HighSierra and Mojave, I have used it several times without using any additional manual scripts, only shrewdness is to launch it in Terminal mode (not the app GUI mode), these are the steps:

Download the tool from dokterdok GitHub original developer: Download link

then leaving it in Downloads folder open Terminal and copy/paste in one line:

sudo ~/Downloads/Continuity-Activation-Tool-beta/Continuity\ Activation\ Tool.app/Contents/Resources/contitool.sh
[doublepost=1558343485][/doublepost]

In my case, using an i5 CPU with non-metal acceleration I have an enough intensive CPU load with few less than 30fps when scrolling, but it's the right price to pay to have Marzipan.

Last edited:

Minh_Ton

macrumors member
May 15, 2019
Hue, Vietnam
The "outdated" Continuity Activation Tool (valid only for those who have a Bluetooth 4.x device) works perfectly on HighSierra and Mojave, I have used it several times without using any additional manual scripts, only shrewdness is to launch it in Terminal mode (not the app GUI mode), these are the steps:

sudo ~/Downloads/Continuity-Activation-Tool-beta/Continuity\ Activation\ Tool.app/Contents/Resources/contitool.

Can I use CAT tool on my MacBook5,1 with a bluetooth 4.0 dongle? It will be shipped tomorrow and you said that it only works on a BT4.x device which makes me nervous.

Spamm3r

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2015
So yesterday I have updated my MacBook Pro 2011 and then I have booted to installer and patched files. Now I am hard stuck on: "attempting system restart mach reboot". @dosdude1 ? I have downloaded lastest USB Patcher and did everything as usually. So?

Attachments

• 2019_05_20_11_29_IMG_0429.JPG
    2019_05_20_11_29_IMG_0429.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 294

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Can I use CAT tool on my MacBook5,1 with a bluetooth 4.0 dongle? It will be shipped tomorrow and you said that it only works on a BT4.x device which makes me nervous.

Of course, I meant Bluetooth 4.0 , 4.1 or 4.2 (and obviously BT 5.x), so your dongle will work at 99%, many here reported that GMYLE dongle is most compatible since it's built over a Broadcom BCM20702 (one of the apple's favorite vendor), but I've used and tested also BT4 dongles from other vendors and they work quietly.

pkouame

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2016

sudo ~/Downloads/Continuity-Activation-Tool-beta/Continuity\ Activation\ Tool.app/Contents/Resources/contitool.sh
[doublepost=1558343485][/doublepost]

In my case, using an i5 CPU with non-metal acceleration I have an enough intensive CPU load with few less than 30fps when scrolling, but it's the right price to pay to have Marzipan.
Yes it is. Let's hope other Marzipan based apps Apple has in store for us in 10.15 are this flexible. Fingers crossed...

cheechxxx

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
Hi guys! Who has a MacBook Pro early 2011 with iGPU intel hd3000 graphics please Do not upgrade to Mojave! You will not have the full video hardware acceleration with fully working intel quick sync technology! On top of that you will have bad looking fonts and other glitches etc. You'd better stay with High Sierra I'm telling you!... It works not worse but even better and smoother because of the video card unfortunately(... I've tried both systems compared and chosen High Sierra though...It's not that old fart yet)... Just my advice imho

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
Beta 6 Observations - .6b1 on iMac11,2 APFS HDD performance is approaching tolerable. 32-bit apps take more time to run than .3 but function fully. Safari and all the usual suspects work. App Store, no crashes as yet. Very promising, overall. Patcher 1.3.2, post-install.

patsio

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
Hi guys! Who has a MacBook Pro early 2011 with iGPU intel hd3000 graphics please Do not upgrade to Mojave! You will not have the full video hardware acceleration with fully working intel quick sync technology! On top of that you will have bad looking fonts and other glitches etc. You'd better stay with High Sierra I'm telling you!... It works not worse but even better and smoother because of the video card unfortunately(... I've tried both systems compared and chosen High Sierra though...It's not that old fart yet)... Just my advice imho
I got mbp 13", early 2011 and i've already run Mojave. How to tell if video hardware acceleration is enabled?!

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018

If I don't get wrong "Intel Quick Sync" is also the technology adopted by IntelHD GPUs (from Sandy Bridge and forward) for "Wireless Display" and AirPlay Mirroring, and it's correctly working on Mojave but MBP 13" 2011 with an IntelHD3000 only.

So technically if in System Preferences's Displays you don't have the "Airplay Display" function available, then you don't have the Intel Quick Sync feature.

Example picture attached, if there is no "Airplay Display" then there is no IntelQuickSync enabled.

Attachments

• airplaymirrorquicksync.png
    airplaymirrorquicksync.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

Spamm3r

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2015
Well Mojave was working alright on my MBP 13' early 2011 on 8 gigs of ram and SSD. To be honest only problems I got before was that patches some how were stopped working, like fonts were rendering wrongly and I had to repatch. And today happened this problem. Some says it is hardware failure but I do not believe in it. I was using it everyday and he was well maintained. Gonna run Apple Diagnostics...

EDIT: AHT said that everything is working soo I need help guys...

Last edited:

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
If I don't get wrong "Intel Quick Sync" is also the technology adopted by IntelHD GPUs (from Sandy Bridge and forward) for "Wireless Display" and AirPlay Mirroring, and it's correctly working on Mojave but MBP 13" 2011 with an IntelHD3000 only.

So technically if in System Preferences's Displays you don't have the "Airplay Display" function available, then you don't have the Intel Quick Sync feature.

Example picture attached, if there is no "Airplay Display" then there is no IntelQuickSync enabled.
Of course there has to be an available AirPlay-Display" in the network.
In my case, the MacMini5.1 with HD3000 runs absolutely smoothly with no glitches or freezes whatsoever on 10.14.5.
10.14.5_HD3000_Display.png

cheechxxx

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019

I mean that I'd tested in real life with final cut pro x and quicklime player by exporting different videos watching iGPU load, and the result was way faster almost half time faster compared to Mojave. Tried different versions of final cut and all is the same. Even quicktime player on high Sierra loads the GPU fully but not on Mojave... Everything is in terms of time. If you just need some Mojave cosmetic go for it but if you need better performance in terms of video acceleration and so on stay with High Sierra or even better with El Capitan where everything is the fastest but unfortunately new software support is dropped and you are pushed to run High Sierra. But if you don't need new software the best option is running El Capitan the most reliable and not demanding OS I guess. SO have a good choice It's up to you what to use. I just share my thoughts with you guys. Have a nice day or night)

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
For the MB4,1 lovers:

I've updated my kext-package to v1.4 with the Broadcom Wifi kexts needed to run the original BRCM4321 card that the MB4,1 was equipped with. Runs fine and has been tested on 10.14.4 and 10.14.5. Thanks to @dosdude1 for the test machine! (In the MB4,1 that I previously used I swapped the card to get around this but after folks started using @0403979 alternative patcher it became clear that the old card was really not supported any more - just like in other machines). There will most certainly be better/cleaner/more straightforward solutions for the WiFi issue than this initial kext combo. Julian has some ideas, too, that can be tried out. More to come, it'd seem ;-)
What did not work was the Broadcom plus corecatcher replacement and corecatcherresponder solution that did the trick on other systems with similar cards...

Here's the download link for the package. Install with kext utility or copy to /S/L/E and correct permissions. Then rebuild prelinked kernel and reboot.

See screenshot for current kext contents in v1.4 compared to older versions.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-20 um 19.26.11.jpg

Last edited:

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I mean that I'd tested in real life with final cut pro x and quicklime player by exporting different videos watching iGPU load, and the result was way faster almost half time faster compared to Mojave. Tried different versions of final cut and all is the same. Even quicktime player on high Sierra loads the GPU fully but not on Mojave... Everything is in terms of time. If you just need some Mojave cosmetic go for it but if you need better performance in terms of video acceleration and so on stay with High Sierra or even better with El Capitan where everything is the fastest but unfortunately new software support is dropped and you are pushed to run High Sierra. But if you don't need new software the best option is running El Capitan the most reliable and not demanding OS I guess. SO have a good choice It's up to you what to use. I just share my thoughts with you guys. Have a nice day or night)

I am not an expert on this topic but the common sense would dictate that the reason El Capitan and High Sierra perform better than Mojave in FCP is because they are optimised for the OpenGL and Mojave(and the latest version of FCP obviously) is optimised for Metal(which our unsupported Macs don't have). You can't compare apples and oranges.

pkouame

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2016
I am not an expert on this topic but the common sense would dictate that the reason El Capitan and High Sierra perform better than Mojave in FCP is because they are optimised for the OpenGL and Mojave(and the latest version of FCP obviously) is optimised for Metal(which our unsupported Macs don't have). You can't compare apples and oranges.
Good point, beat me to it :)

cheechxxx

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2019
That's what I'm saying... You don't wanna sacrifice your performance for the sake of some cosmetic stuff of Mojave. Better buy a new Mac and don't mess with all that... Apple developers have dropped out our old machines and want us to buy new ones. It's up to everybody to buy or not but so far for my needs, my old boy is enough way to go)... And High Sierra is gonna be the system supported for a couple of years at least. Why do we need those perversions with Mojave??? When it's the time High Sierra support is dropped out and my needs are gonna be more demanding I'll go for a new machine. The newest software is supported on High Sierra so far as well... That's my point)...
P.S. I'd recommend you guys who has intel hd3000, you are able to increase your VRam if you'd like to. It will give some performance increased if you will... Just install two kexts by using kext utility in the archive attached (drag and drop onto it and wait until it's done the job). Afterwards just restart your Mac and you're good to go. To check whether everything is fine please use OpenGL viewer from Mac App Store it's free. Give it a like if you will)...Sorry but before all that disable SIP protection from the recovery mode, my bad)...also works on Mojave for the record)

Attachments

• IntelHD3000 1024 MB VRAM.zip
    624.8 KB · Views: 257
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 10.17.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 10.17.43 PM.png
    667.5 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

Pralaya

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2019
Question:
I get offered several times a day the "News OpenCL Patch".
I don't want to install it, system is running, how can I deactivate the announcement from the Patch Updater?
Unchecking the box doesn't work.
Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.