Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Very quick work with that patcher @dosdude1! Nice! :)

Would you mind explaining how the nVidia Tesla patch works as of now? I know it's not yet reliable but I'm working on it myself too and I wondered if you had any insights.

So far, I've seen that replacing:
NVDANV50HalTesla.kext
NVDAResmanTesla.kext
(dependency of NVDANV50HalTesla)
IONDRVSupport.kext (contains a symbol needed by NVDAResmanTesla, not present in Mojave)
IOGraphicsFamily.kext (symbol needed by IONDRVSupport)
...allows for partial graphics improvements. I can change the brightness, put my laptop to sleep, and it shows the correct MacBook7,1 image in "about this Mac" rather than a generic 21-inch display. However, no acceleration.

Additionally replacing:
GeForceTesla.kext
GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle
GeForceTeslaVADriver.bundle

...gives me full acceleration, but the system invariably panics during or shortly after login.

I see in the contents of the post-install patcher, a file called NDRVShim.kext along with the kexts that I'm replacing. What is its purpose?

Edit: Upon further inspection, it seems that it exposes the _VSLGestalt symbol that NVDAResmanTesla.kext complains about under Mojave. This presumably bypasses the need to replace IONDRVSupport and IOGraphicsFamily kexts, right? Very cool :)

Thank you for all your work!!

I confirm totally, I have achieved too same yours results, correct image shown in "about this Mac" with 13 inches display, switching resolution available, Framebuffer smooth transitions, Brightness control, sleep. Even if sometimes when I open finder to explore folders it autoclose and need to relaunch, maybe is the Mojave "Stacks" beta feature still in development.

Adding the GeforceTesla* kext there is also FULL QE/CI, I can feel cause the buttons "Sleep, Restart and Shutdown" are transparent, and it's weird you can stay on login screen even an hour, and no KP occurs, instead right after 10 seconds login desktop it crashes, there must be an incompatible process or service with legacy GeforceTesla that kills system and calls an instantly MACH Reboot.

Already tried Sierra GeforceTesla* and still can get QE/CI stable at login screen, but crashes the same way when landing to desktop.

Last edited:

Badruzeus

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2018
Indonesia
Already tried Sierra GeforceTesla* and still can get QE/CI stable at login screen, but crashes the same way when landing to desktop.

Try using this, place to /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/A
Then execute:
sudo rm -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u / && sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force
Reboot & test. You may consider to disable SIP via RecoveryHD first. Good luck. :)

Reactions: ASentientBot

GSXB

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2018
England
just started to download mojave on my 4.1 flashed to 5.1
ive installed a EVGA GTX680 then flashed it to a mac rom
all good at the moment about this mac says
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB
and system information says
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3

BookEmDanno

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2010
State of ~Aloha!~
I have a mid 2009 iMac 9.1 I'm stuck at the Apple logo progress bar using the Mojave patcher. Can you boot in verbose mode with the patcher

I too seem to be stuck in booting up on a Mojave unsupported MBAir 13" mid 2011. I have verbose mode turned on and messages just keeps scrolling by. Never got to the Apple logo.

Mahalo
[doublepost=1531136324][/doublepost]
I downloaded the latest patcher which now includes the MacPro 3.1 in the post install patches, used the download tool to download the latest full installer. Created the boot USB in the usual manner. Once booted from the installer went ahead with the installation, the installation was on a newly erased partition on a spinning HD using HFS+ Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and GUID Partition Map. So nothing different to installing High Sierra. Rebooted to the USB and selected post install selected MacPro 3.1 from the drop down
chose to keep with the recommended patches but also checked the Recovery HD patch. Clicked on Patch and then Reboot, and hey presto Mojave with its jittery graphics came to life.

Just curious. What beta did the latest patcher tool downloaded and installed? PB 2 (18A326h) or DB 3 (18A326g)?

Mahalo

Last edited:

L Caputo

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
I too seem to be stuck in booting up on a Mojave unsupported MBAir 13" mid 2011. I have verbose mode turned on and messages just keeps scrolling by. Never got to the Apple logo.

Mahalo
[doublepost=1531136324][/doublepost]

Just curious. What beta did the latest patcher tool downloaded and installed? PB 2 (18A326h) or DB 3 (18A326g)?
Mahalo
Well well I seem to have PB 1 (18A314k) downloaded yesterday.

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
I have updated the wiki post with a notice of failure to boot the Patched Installer on Core 2 Duo and Mac Pro machines. If someone has had an issue with the latest patcher on another machine or has a potential solution to this issue then please reply to this post.

Reactions: Starplayr

MatusDK12

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2017
Denmark
Well Finally got it installed on my Mac Pro 3,1 now I just need to set it up

Attachments

• 8B521432-03D3-4541-B4C2-8226C1B7C0AE.jpeg
    8B521432-03D3-4541-B4C2-8226C1B7C0AE.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 158

rtvkris1

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2018
[Quote = "0403979, postu: 26224741, członek: 1133429"]? Jak uruchomić do instalatora [/ quote]
przecież wszystko jest opisane wcześniej

gugadj

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2018
Hello good morning the patch already installs in APFS partition? [macbook pro Late 2011] I appreciate the work of everyone.

Starplayr

Cancelled
Jun 13, 2018
How did you boot to the installer?

On Mac Pro 3,1 (eight core and quad core):

I was able to use Dosdude1's installer with an Nvidia Card (Titan X Maxwell or 8800 GT). With my AMD Radeon HD 7970 card, the same installer dies at 16min with a small progress bar.

On a good install, I just applied the Mac Pro 4,1 patch which just adds -no_compat_check to the boot.plist file. <!-- note on one occasion when switching the installed disk to another MacPro3,1, I have seen Mojave reverse this change and had to patch it again. I have also seen Mojave lock the boot.plist file when running from Mojave itself.

AMD Radeon HD 7970 boots to a black screen with stock AMD Mojave drivers.

8800 GT with Dosdude's Patched Video drivers installed, boots with translucent Menu Bar and appears to have acceleration but dies within 5 seconds in the Finder.

Nvidia Titan X Maxwell without web drivers working boots and runs without acceleration. Interestingly enough, I was able to get 4k unscaled at 60 Hz with the Titan X on 10.6.8 Snow Leopard with 2d acceleration with 48 GB RAM on SSD. Runs blazingly fast. The Titan X also runs High Sierra with web drivers super well, will try some workarounds soon to try to get existing web driver to load up via a script that was posted on this thread (recently).

Forgive me if any of this is old news. Just listing my experiences here with the Telemetry plugin replaced.

Last edited:

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
I have updated the wiki post with a notice of failure to boot the Patched Installer on Core 2 Duo and Mac Pro machines. If someone has had an issue with the latest patcher on another machine or has a potential solution to this issue then please reply to this post.
The issue is to do with the latest version of the installer. I'll fix this in a bit.

AwlsomeAlex

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
Since the status of the GeForce 320M is it’s eventually going to achieve acceleration (gotta have hope), what’s the status of the GeForce 9400M? As that brings support to the Late 2008/Mid 2009 Air, Late 2008/Early 2009/Mid 2009/Late 2009 MacBook, Early-Late 2008 Mid 2009 MacBook Pro?

reperok95

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2018
Hi
I have the same problem as many here with old NVidia cards.
The system was installed, patched by patcher from the first message.
NVDANV50Hal successfully loads, but after logging in after 5-10 seconds the system simply hangs.
Did everything already that was written in this topic, nothing helps.

Processor - Intel i5-750
Video card - GeForce GTX260 (Tesla)
Hakintosh - iMac 11,1

Reactions: ASentientBot

AwlsomeAlex

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
Hi
I have the same problem as many here with old NVidia cards.
The system was installed, patched by patcher from the first message.
NVDANV50Hal successfully loads, but after logging in after 5-10 seconds the system simply hangs.
Did everything already that was written in this topic, nothing helps.

Processor - Intel i5-750
Video card - GeForce GTX260 (Tesla)
Hakintosh - iMac 11,1
They’re experimenting with this, it seems to be a common problem with Pre-Metal Nvidia GPUs. I’d help if I owned one but sadly I dont.

reperok95

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2018
They’re experimenting with this, it seems to be a common problem with Pre-Metal Nvidia GPUs. I’d help if I owned one but sadly I dont.
I just saw someone here with a screenshot of the successfully launched Mojave on the GeForce 320m card which is not far away from GeForce GTX 260, that's just I did not see the instruction for launching

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
What did you do differently to the 3 or 4 others here all of whom get a stall in the install progress bar?
Did you use the download tool in the patcher to get the full installer?

Just out of curiosity - do you have a single or dual monitor setup? How is it/are they connected?

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Try using this, place to /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/A
Then execute:
sudo rm -f /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache && sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u / && sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force
Reboot & test. You may consider to disable SIP via RecoveryHD first. Good luck. :)

One at once I have tried the following:

- Replacing Coredisplay.framework from High Sierra and it still boots QE/CI in login screen but crashing landing desktop.

- Replacing privateframework IOAccelerator from HS and it stucks on verbose lines: WindowsServer crash login window. (This step is not so bad, maybe I'll return on)

- Replacing IOPCIFamily.kext from HS it still boots till QE/CI login screen but crashed after login desktop.

In any case before reaching the GUI I noticed on verbose lines:
kextd stall (60s): NVDAgl , IOResources
but apart this line (waited max 3 seconds) it still boot correctly at least to the login screen with QE/CI.

This is for now. Will try to inspecting something else.

The Keywords you should encounter, before GUI appears, on verbose mode if you are proceeding well are:

NVDAStartup: Official
NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered

just dropping this kext:
GeForceTeslaGLDriver.bundle

You will have a working Mojave with good color tones, resolution switch, frame buffer, brightness control, smooth transitions, but I notice that a Core 2 duo is too slow with only a GPU FrameBuffer while a Core i5 with only Framebuffer is much more reactive (I know it's obvious).

edit:

Tried to add in Mojave /S*/L*/F*/OpenGL.framework/Libraries
the High Sierra folder "Legacy" but same results QE/CI at login screen ok, then kp at desktop.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.