Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
for your machine do you have used the entire zip content MacBookPro8,3 AirDrop Catalina ?

If so, on Mac, on the iPhone and iPad settings you should set the AirDrop option allow discovered by Everyone.

Only "Auto Unlock" requires a 802.11ac broadcom Wifi card, the other continuity features should work, probably with that usb bt 4.0 dongle (reading the continuity activation tool code) you need some whitelisting to patch the IOBluetoothFamily.kext because inside the binary there are some Mac-ids , I'll test this, meanwhile is your board-id Mac-942459F5819B171B ?
[automerge]1574760801[/automerge]

I doubt that CoreBrightness screwed it up (probably keyboard prefpane issue could be a broken battery?), anyway which version of Catalina do you have installed currently ?

So I can upload the right Catalina non-patched SiriUI.framework and CoreBrightness.framework

10.15.1 I think - most up to date - not using the 10.15.2 update.

Reactions: TimothyR734

Tucker28

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
for your machine do you have used the entire zip content MacBookPro8,3 AirDrop Catalina ?

If so, on Mac, on the iPhone and iPad settings you should set the AirDrop option allow discovered by Everyone.

Only "Auto Unlock" requires a 802.11ac broadcom Wifi card, the other continuity features should work, probably with that usb bt 4.0 dongle (reading the continuity activation tool code) you need some whitelisting to patch the IOBluetoothFamily.kext because inside the binary there are some Mac-ids , I'll test this, meanwhile is your board-id Mac-942459F5819B171B ?
[automerge]1574760801[/automerge]

I doubt that CoreBrightness screwed it up (probably keyboard prefpane issue could be a broken battery?), anyway which version of Catalina do you have installed currently ?

So I can upload the right Catalina non-patched SiriUI.framework and CoreBrightness.framework

Correct, I used the entire zip content of your package. I initially used just the one file as directed, but then when it didn't fully work, I used the entire contents. But the extra files didn't do anything different for me.

It is listed as discoverable by everyone.

That is my board-id, yes. But would any Broadcom USB AC dongle work? I don't need the auto-unlock, but it would be neat.

I know the last part was replying to someone else, but I do remember something patching CoreBrightness for me as well (possibly from the Mojave patcher last year?). Do you think this might have something to do with my issue as well?

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
10.15.1 I think - most up to date - not using the 10.15.2 update.

Here are from 10.15.1 build 19B88 the non-patched frameworks (compiled by apple on October 24th), that you have to replace inside the Catalina /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/

after replaced both, just reboot.
[automerge]1574773721[/automerge]

Attachments

• 19B88 stock SiriUI and CoreBrightness.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Correct, I used the entire zip content of your package. I initially used just the one file as directed, but then when it didn't fully work, I used the entire contents. But the extra files didn't do anything different for me.

It is listed as discoverable by everyone.

That is my board-id, yes. But would any Broadcom USB AC dongle work? I don't need the auto-unlock, but it would be neat.

I know the last part was replying to someone else, but I do remember something patching CoreBrightness for me as well (possibly from the Mojave patcher last year?). Do you think this might have something to do with my issue as well?

CoreBrightness is not related to continuity (the answers are merged automatically), Broadcom usb ac won't work, it's required an internal AirPort 802.11ac for that, maybe you need a patched IOBluetoothFamily.kext to whitelist the external BT 4.0 dongle for continuity features, something as this (credit to dokterdok):

hex to find : 4885ff74 47488b07
hex to replace : 41be0f00 0000eb44

I attach a pre-patched Catalina 19B88 IOBluetoothFamily that I manually binary-patched, if you want to test this should whitelist the USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle to use the continuity features with a third party BT 4.0 dongle

replace the attached inside from Terminal (copy/paste one line at once):
Code:
sudo mount -uw / ; killall Finder
cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/
sudo cp IOBluetoothFamily IOBluetoothFamily.backup

open /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/

(replace the attached file from Finder, then return to Terminal window)

sudo chown -R 0:0 /S*/L*/E*/
sudo chmod -R 755 /S*/L*/E*/
sudo kextcache -i /

(this will take a while, during this process check that IOBluetoothFamily with invalid signature is allowed by kextcache)

sudo reboot

As you can notice I already tested on my machine this attached, moreover I used a CambrigeSiliconRadio not Broadcom (apple favourite vendor) usb BT 4.0 dongle that is not advisable to use for compatibility but instead it worked without issues.

Attachments

• Catalina 19B88 patched BT4 usb dongle IOBluetoothFamily.zip
    305.4 KB · Views: 333
  • Example my CSR usb BT4.png
    Example my CSR usb BT4.png
    875.3 KB · Views: 562
  • Mojave patched BT4 usb dongle IOBluetoothFamily.zip
    302.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
About Catalina AirDrop/Continuity features, I found this interesting article that explain the basis of "apple continuity features": https://arxiv.org/pdf/1904.10600.pdf

in few words all the continuity features (and not only) of macOS/iOS rely on the BLE, typically present from the Bluetooth 4.0 introduction.

So a Bluetooth card to support those apple features need this from System Report / Bluetooth :

Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes

olrik77

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
France
About Catalina AirDrop/Continuity features, I found this interesting article that explain the basis of "apple continuity features": https://arxiv.org/pdf/1904.10600.pdf

in few words all the continuity features (and not only) of macOS/iOS rely on the BLE, typically present from the Bluetooth 4.0 introduction.

So a Bluetooth card to support those apple features need this from System Report / Bluetooth :

Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes

Great !

So...what BT 4.0 usb dongle may be use on a MP 3,1 running Catalina ?

Thanks

Serviteur

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Great !

So...what BT 4.0 usb dongle may be use on a MP 3,1 running Catalina ?

Thanks

Serviteur

I guess any cheap BT 4.0 usb dongle should work, but I don't think only continuity can work without AirDrop, in combination with a Broadcom AirPort Wifi card, so in your case MacPro maybe better using a combo Wifi ac/BT 4.0 card, for example as the one you posted before.

olrik77

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
France
I guess any cheap BT 4.0 usb dongle should work, but I don't think only continuity can work without AirDrop, in combination with a Broadcom AirPort Wifi card, so in your case MacPro maybe better using a combo Wifi ac/BT 4.0 card, for example as the one you posted before.

I will try a cheap usb BT dongle. My MP 3,1 is "wired" and I don't want to connect by wifi...and the combo Wifiac/BT card is too complex for me to be installed and for worse performance in internet access, I suppose.

Many thanks for your reply,

Serviteur

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
I will try a cheap usb BT dongle. My MP 3,1 is "wired" and I don't want to connect by wifi...and the combo Wifiac/BT card is too complex for me to be installed and for worse performance in internet access, I suppose.

Serviteur

A cheap usb BT 4.0 dongle is useful in many cases for wireless (BT) earphones, speakers, keyboard, mouse, trackpad and so on.

I think that is required also an Airport Broadcom Wifi card, but reading that document, if apple gently allow you through only iCloud to authorize the continuity features on your iOS devices, surely the usb BT 4.0 dongle does support the BLE protocol that they require (and they have in their hardware embedded).

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Thank
Here are from 10.15.1 build 19B88 the non-patched frameworks (compiled by apple on October 24th), that you have to replace inside the Catalina /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/

Thank you will try that, but still the keyboard pref isn’t opening.

Tucker28

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
CoreBrightness is not related to continuity (the answers are merged automatically), Broadcom usb ac won't work, it's required an internal AirPort 802.11ac for that, maybe you need a patched IOBluetoothFamily.kext to whitelist the external BT 4.0 dongle for continuity features, something as this (credit to dokterdok):

hex to find : 4885ff74 47488b07
hex to replace : 41be0f00 0000eb44

I attach a pre-patched Catalina 19B88 IOBluetoothFamily that I manually binary-patched, if you want to test this should whitelist the USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle to use the continuity features with a third party BT 4.0 dongle

replace the attached inside from Terminal (copy/paste one line at once):
Code:
sudo mount -uw / ; killall Finder
cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/
sudo cp IOBluetoothFamily IOBluetoothFamily.backup

open /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/

(replace the attached file from Finder, then return to Terminal window)

sudo chown -R 0:0 /S*/L*/E*/
sudo chmod -R 755 /S*/L*/E*/
sudo kextcache - i /

(this will take a while, during this process check that IOBluetoothFamily with invalid signature is allowed by kextcache)

sudo reboot

As you can notice I already tested on my machine this attached, moreover I used a CambrigeSiliconRadio not Broadcom (apple favourite vendor) usb BT 4.0 dongle that is not advisable to use for compatibility but instead it worked without issues.

Unfortunately, that resulted in no change.

I noticed you mentioned patching the kext file, but then you attached one, so I assumed you meant for me to use your attached file which is what I did. I've edited plists, but I've never binary patched anything and not sure how. So I'm hoping I understood correctly.

Also, when I ran sudo kextcache - i / it didn't take any time at all. Actually, it said "No work to do; check options and try again." Then I ran sudo reboot but no change.

ASentientBot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2018
SkyLight.framework

I noticed you mentioned patching the kext file, but then you attached one, so I assumed you meant for me to use your attached file which is what I did. I've edited plists, but I've never binary patched anything and not sure how. So I'm hoping I understood correctly.

Also, when I ran sudo kextcache - i / it didn't take any time at all. Actually, it said "No work to do; check options and try again." Then I ran sudo reboot but no change.
You need to run sudo kextcache -i / (note the lack of a space in -i) and then run sudo mount -uw / and finally sudo kcditto to copy the new prelinkedkernel.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018

Yes, the IOBluetoothFamily attached is already patched with dokterdok method, and @ASentientBot is right, I made a typo.

The syntax correct is sudo kextcache -i /

Retry and it should work.
[automerge]1574813391[/automerge]
Thank you will try that, but still the keyboard pref isn’t opening.
Maybe is the battery in service mode or replace now mode?

Last edited:

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018

Hi, This is to let you know that night shift is the issue, tried this 19888 patch and it didn't work, I just won't use night shift on Catalina just like I don't need continuity which I don't know what it is.

Tucker28

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
Yes, the IOBluetoothFamily attached is already patched with dokterdok method, and @ASentientBot is right, I made a typo.

The syntax correct is sudo kextcache -i /

Retry and it should work.
[automerge]1574813391[/automerge]

Maybe is the battery in service mode or replace now mode?

The -i definitely had the command doing something for a while. Unfortunately, I’m still in the exact same boat, there is no change. I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

45 minutes later...

Ok, I found part of the problem...

As far as I have seen, it should automatically switch over to using the Bluetooth 4.0 dongle. You did mention in your first reply about the light on the dongle flashing, I think. But it has never flashed, it’s always been a steady blue. So I went searching.

I just looked at System Information. It’s never switched over to the dongle. First, it says it doesn’t support Bluetooth low energy, and second, I paired my AirPods to the Mac and then pulled the dongle out... the connection never died or hiccuped. So for some reason it has never switched away from the built-in Bluetooth.

I tinkered and tinkered, and finally upon switching Bluetooth off, waiting 6 seconds, pulling the dongle out, waiting 6 seconds, plugging the dongle in, waiting 6 more seconds, and turning Bluetooth back on, it finally switched over to the dongle. Different MAC address, and system information now shows supporting Bluetooth low energy.

However, I have no idea if I’m going to have to do that every time I boot. I did reboot and it stayed on the dongle (I made a note of the last 2 digits of the MAC address of both to more easily tell the difference in the future).

AirDrop is now working perfectly. I can see both the iPad and the iPod from the Mac. As soon as I tap the screen to bring the screen to life, they instantly appear in AirDrop. And I can finally see the Mac from the iPad and the iPhone.

So good news there.

However, the bad news is the rest of it is wonky. I get instant hot spot on my iPhone along with what I have had, messages, phone, and now AirDrop... but no more. However, the iPad is a different story. Universal Clipboard, handoff, and Continuity Camera are working. Sidecar, sketch, markup, and instant hotspot are not (though it’s a WiFi only model, so I’m assuming it’s not suppose to have instant hotspot).  Pay is unknown. I don’t need to buy anything at the moment.

i don’t understand why the iPad is working more than the phone. It’s a first generation iPad Pro. The phone is the newest one this year.

But the end result is much better than before. Hopefully I can figure out the rest tomorrow. Maybe you’ll have some ideas? Hopefully the dongle keeps working and it doesn’t default back to the built-in.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
The fact that when you plug the usb BT 4.0 dongle the blue-light is solid is not normal, AFAIK any external bluetooth dongle when plugged is continuously blinking so maybe yours is defective.

About the fact that is not detected as primary bluetooth device (with its MAC address) you can try to plug it before the machine power-on. Anyway no need to write the MAC, from system report just check
Bluetooth Core Spec and LMP version: 4.0
and of course this: Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes

The newer AirPods require Bluetooth 4.0 or higher, HotSpot from the iPadOS requires Cellular.

Sketch and Markup are two new Sidecar-related features and Sidecar will work only on supported Catalina mac for Metal and frameworks reason.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204975

About the newer iPhone reading the specs seems that it embeds a Bluetooth 5.0 (a new protocol) , while the 1st gen iPad Pro BT 4.2 , so maybe some kind of incompatibility for this reason, or I've to check the dokterdock patching of IOBluetoothFamily for enabling those other continuity features.

Last edited:

Tucker28

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
The fact that when you plug the usb BT 4.0 dongle the blue-light is solid is not normal, AFAIK any external bluetooth dongle when plugged is continuously blinking so maybe yours is defective.

About the fact that is not detected as primary bluetooth device (with its MAC address) you can try to plug it before the machine power-on. Anyway no need to write the MAC, from system report just check
Bluetooth Core Spec and LMP version: 4.0
and of course this: Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: Yes

The newer AirPods require Bluetooth 4.0 or higher, HotSpot from the iPadOS requires Cellular.

Sketch and Markup are two new Sidecar-related features and Sidecar will work only on supported Catalina mac for Metal and frameworks reason.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204975

About the newer iPhone reading the specs seems that it embeds a Bluetooth 5.0 (a new protocol) , while the 1st gen iPad Pro BT 4.2 , so maybe some kind of incompatibility for this reason, or I've to check the dokterdock patching of IOBluetoothFamily for enabling those other continuity features.

Ahh, I didn’t realize Sketch and Markup were Sidecar related. Thanks for that info.

Once I got macOS to switch over to the dongle, the light started flashing. That was my first indication that it had finally switched over and then I verified it by looking at the MAC address and by finding the Bluetooth Low Energy Supported being Yes.

I was 99% sure that the Instant Hotspot was working correctly, but thought I should state it to be sure.

With that info you just gave me, that means my iPad is working with Continuity perfectly given that I can’t use Sidecar. I’ll continue to occasionally try the iPhone but the fact it has Bluetooth 5 does make sense. But most of what I use Continuity for has always been going from one device to my iPad, so I can easily live with this.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I don’t know how long it would have taken to notice that it hadn’t switched over to the dongle without your help.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Glad it worked, but to clarify when the USB BT 4.0 is used as primary dongle the internal BT 2.1 one is temporary disabled, unplugging it will start to work again, I write this because with a patched IOBluetoothFamily can't be used two concurrent BT 2.1 / 4.0 devices, I mean if your an external BT device is paired with the BT 2.1 , you have to re-pair it with the BT 4.0 usb device.

Here is another apple document about Sketch and Markup that are Sidecar Continuity features:

https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina/docs/Sidecar_Tech_Brief_Oct_2019.pdf

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017

Serviteur

The bcm94360cd isn't that hard to install once you get past attaching the three wifi antennas and BT antenna leads. The v3 miniPCI adapter card for the bcm94360cd places the antenna connectors facing the motherboard so you have to attach them to the mounted wifi card before flipping it down to mount onto the motherboard.

For Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD Wifi Card 802.11Ac 2.4/5GHz 1.7Gbps Bluetooth 4.0

Mini PCI-E Adapter for BCM94360CD/BCM94331CD Upgrade to Version 3.0

As for speed, the iMac BCM9460CD is a 1300 Mbps card and with BT 4.0 that supports Handoff and Airdrop without patches.

Last edited:

Tucker28

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
Glad it worked, but to clarify when the USB BT 4.0 is used as primary dongle the internal BT 2.1 one is temporary disabled, unplugging it will start to work again, I write this because with a patched IOBluetoothFamily can't be used two concurrent BT 2.1 / 4.0 devices, I mean if your an external BT device is paired with the BT 2.1 , you have to re-pair it with the BT 4.0 usb device.

Here is another apple document about Sketch and Markup that are Sidecar Continuity features:

https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina/docs/Sidecar_Tech_Brief_Oct_2019.pdf

Yeah I did have to pair everything again. Which was fine. Booted up this morning, and it was back to using internal BT even though I leave the BT dongle in permanently. But this time I couldn't get it to switch back to the dongle using the method I used last night.

I followed instructions from here and ran sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior=always then rebooted. That got it working again, but I still had to unplug a couple of times. I'm thinking maybe you were right about this dongle being defective.

I also installed Additional Tools for Xcode 11. It includes Bluetooth Explorer which allows me to switch without rebooting (although changes are not retained after rebooting). That was also in that post I linked above although then it was called Hardware IO Tools for Xcode.

If after all of this, it continues to happen, I'll replace the dongle and what happens... or install an internal combo card, if possible. Can you install an internal wireless-AC / BT combo card into a late 2011 17" MacBook Pro? MacBookPro(8,3)

Again, thanks for all the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.