Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

andreas_stgt

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
I had success APFS Patcher with my MacBookPro 2009 MBP5,3 ..

EDIT: I tried the APFS Patcher.
1. Step was backup / read out the ROM ... takes at least 7-8 minutes
2. step was writing patched ROM . takes even longer ;) - i think around 15 Minutes... litte fear comes up :)
Info: You see, with my SST eeprom "inside" i didnt get displayed some EEPROMs - like for MX.... to select for flashing.

Then success Message:
APFS Patcher.jpeg

Reboot worked - but i cant test APFS because i am at HFS+ but i believe the success message.
APFS boot untested because i am on HFS+ SSD.
Could i test patched ROM APFS ready with a APFS (GPT) USB Stick?

Last edited:
Reactions: TimothyR734

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
macOS 10.16 will be named Big Sur and the UI will be differenti from Catalina... No good news for us.? https://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sur

If they add SSE4.2 as darwin xnu kernel requirement (current 10.15.6 beta 2 xnu version 19.6.0 with SSE4.1 support) and contextually drop the "kext" (kernel extensions), then it's a trouble for penryn core2duo, but they shouldn't, otherwise there is the challenge for non-metal acceleration.

About the installer I doubt they change its BaseSystem.dmg structure, and should use as post-install still a dual APFS system and data, but maybe they could enforce the AMFI.

About the name, "Big Sur" is plausible, also because has a very similar landscape as Catalina.

Attachments

• catalina current xnu kernel.png
    catalina current xnu kernel.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
If they add SSE4.2 as darwin xnu kernel requirement (current 10.15.6 beta 2 xnu version 19.6.0 with SSE4.1 support) and contextually drop the "kext" (kernel extensions), then it's a trouble for penryn core2duo, but they shouldn't, otherwise there is the challenge for non-metal acceleration.

About the installer I doubt they change its BaseSystem.dmg structure, and should use as post-install still a dual APFS system and data, but maybe they could enforce the AMFI.

About the name, "Big Sur" is plausible, also because has a very similar landscape as Catalina.

Also, the fact they apparently will be using a macOS 11 version numbering suggests the hard break with the legacy kernel extensions is here. Even if they leave the ability to run the legacy kernel extensions, I suspect that it will be very difficult to shoehorn back in those from Catalina to allow unsupported machines to run. Probably a bridge too far this time around.

Also another two years of hardware got dropped.

• 2015 and later MacBook
  • 2013 and later MacBook Air
  • 2013 and later MacBook Pro
  • 2014 and later Mac mini
  • 2014 and later iMac
  • 2017 and later iMac Pro
  • 2013 and later Mac Pro

fnascimento

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
Hi Everyone, I have a question. Now my mac is in Mac Os Catalina 15.2 i guess. To update he, What i have to do? I have used dosdude patcher, but update not showing in system. Just download new version updated Mac os in dosdude and just boot and install above not clear my data? Or I have do diferent way this?

Sorry my english

Petri Krohn

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Continuity and Catalina on 2007 iMac 7,1

This project started when I found a 20 inch 2007 iMac in a dumpster. I added some RAM and installed El Capitan and gave it to my iPhone-loving cousin.

60925308_436166250510409_5039819611306983424_n.jpg

The 20 inch iMac was the top model with a 2.4 GHz CPU and a Radeon HD 2600 Pro. Unfortunately the dumpster had scratched the glass. Instead of searching for a replacement glass I bought a 24 inch iMac with a failing GPU for 30 euros. The plan was to swap the good GPU from the 20 inch iMac to the 24 inch iMac.

I first updated the firmware for APFS booting using Dosdude1's APFS ROM Patcher. I also prepared a clean install of El Capitan on an SSD on my Mac Pro. (Unfortunately I forgot to enable remote desktop.)

I had ordered a Core 2 Duo T9300 CPU to enable the Mac to run Catalina. I used some old Arctic Silver 3 on the CPU and the GPU. For the GPU ram I reused the white silicon paste. The GPU on the 24 inch IMac had been running much hotter than in the 20 inch iMac, deteriorating the black rubber foam and leaving sandy black dust inside the Mac.

105693187_2689820261299518_6301991999263088671_n.jpg
104883735_285630022555379_8839996385376146130_n.jpg

I had considered just swapping the whole logic board, but once inside I noticed that the 24 inch logic board is larger. The only electronic difference seems to be that there are unused extra pins in the MXM connector in the 24 inch model.
I placed the 120 GB SSD in a plastic 3.5 inch adapter I had ordered from eBay for $15. I moved the thermal sensor to the new drive and used the original fasteners to attach the drive.

105283428_971166539993349_7607598214586646532_n.jpg

The most difficult part in reassembly was attaching the inverter cable to the power supply. I had to unscrew the PSU from the case to get the cable in place, then screw it back in place with one hand. Despite this I failed on the first attempt. When I restarted the iMac the display stayed black. I could hear the boot chime and all four status LEDs lit up. Unfortunately I had not enabled any form of sharing, so the Mac did not show up on my network. After some experimenting I did manage to put the Mac to sleep, so I knew the backlight was the issue. Also LEDs 3 and 4 indicated that the GPU was on and communicating with the LCD.

After removing and reattaching the LCD I got the iMac to boot into El Capitan. As the aluminum bezel was still missing, the WiFi and USB cards were exposed. I tried the BCM94331CD card and adapter I had ordered from AliExpress from my Mac Pro 3,1 for $13.99. Turns out the miniPCIe slot on the iMac has the needed USB connection. (For some reason the adapter in question failed to work on the Mac Pro, preventing the Mac from even booting or chiming. On the iMac it works fine.)

104767887_324933765167918_8727706699555426938_n.jpg

At first the Bluetooth function on BCM94331CD card did not show up on the System Profiler. After I removed the original BT card it showed up. I then ran Continuity Activation Tool on El Capitan to check that everything worked. I had trouble securing the BCM94331CD card as the only screw hole on the adapter was on the wrong side. I ended up securing a bag sealer to the single stud, hoping that the bezel would put additional pressure on the card.

Näyttökuva 2020-06-21 kello 11.01.00.png

I did a clean install of Catalina using Dosdude1's Catalina patcher. Some minor issues emerged. It was not possible to manually select the patches before the installation. The installer applied the APFS boot patch and the legacy WiFi patch which are unneeded in my system but are part of the default list for the iMac 7,1. Also I ended up without a recovery partition.

Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 18.52.24.png

On Catalina I tried to run Continuity Activation tool again. The script failed to start. I then followed instructions I found on Reddit: I opened the package contents and ran the included script file directly from the terminal. System Preferences under "General" now shows that "Handoff" is available and activated.

iMac 2007 upgrades.jpg

The iMac already had 4 GB of ram. I found El Capitan on a HDD to be extremely sluggish with constant beachballing. Catalina on an SSD seems usable, but it still shows an occasional beachball. My 4-core Mac Pro 3,1 with technology from the same generation works noticeable better. The 4 GB of ram should not be the limiting factor as many modern Macbook Pros and Airs came with 4 GB of non-upgradable ram soldered on. The weakest link may be the GPU. It takes several seconds for all windows to show up after login. Evidently there is still room for upgrades and improvement!

Screenshot 2020-06-22 at 20.41.31.png

Last edited:

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Is there gonna be a Big Sur page?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
For anyone interested until Dosdude1's has time to work on the patcher for macOs Big Sur I found this link https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...561&parId=7D7B304FD0D00D44!3864&action=locate if you do not have this CatalinaAutoMount unzip and place in /Library/LaunchDaemons folder-reboot the unzip Big Sur and place in /System/Library/Desktop pictures
[automerge]1592936063[/automerge]
Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 11.06.27 AM.png

[automerge]1592936085[/automerge]
Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 11.13.53 AM.png

Attachments

• CatalinaAutoMountWritable.plist.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 131

Alex-Microsmeta

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2018
Rome
For anyone interested until Dosdude1's has time to work on the patcher for macOs Big Sur I found this link https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=...561&parId=7D7B304FD0D00D44!3864&action=locate if you do not have this CatalinaAutoMount unzip and place in /Library/LaunchDaemons folder-reboot the unzip Big Sur and place in /System/Library/Desktop pictures
[automerge]1592936063[/automerge]
View attachment 926726
[automerge]1592936085[/automerge]
View attachment 926728

Thank you, done! I'll dream with it the @dosdude1 Big Sur patcher :)

lumos

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2016
Hi all,

I want to update my Mac Pro 3.1 from 10.15.3 to 10.15.5.
I have download the latest dosdude macOS Catalina Patcher 1.4.4 and created the SUB key as always.
When I reboot the Mac Pro it does not recognize the USB Key but if I try into my iMac 27 2011 the USB work perfectly.
My Mac Pro has the APFS Rom patched.

Any suggestion to solve the USB Key boot in my Mac Pro 3.1?

Thanks

Jeroen Wortel

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2020
Hi all,

I've installed Catalina on my Macbook4,1 with succes and am very grateful to all the contributors. Thanks!

I have noticed that my Macbook won't go in sleep mode, neither manually nor when closing the lid.
Does any of you have tips how to solve this?

ADthanksVANCE
Jeroen

twinboys

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
I need help. I’m currently running High Sierra on the original spindle HDD. I want to upgrade the HDD to an SSD and install Catalina using dosdudes’ Patcher. I have two new Samsung SDD’s (256GB 830 Pro and 500GB 860 EVO).

I installed the 256GB SSD (formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Map) and did an in-place installation (Internet Recovery Option while holding Command + R) of High Sierra. On the next reboot I get the "Flashing folder with Question mark". I immediately erased the SSD and tried my steps again but with the same results. So, I thought it must be something with the new 256GB SSD.

I installed the 500GB SSD (formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Map) and did an in-place install of High Sierra and again, at the next reboot I get the "Flashing folder with Question mark".

So, I did an in-place installation (Internet Recovery Option while holding Shift, Command, Option + R) of the original macOS Mountain Lion. On the very next reboot I got the "Flashing folder with Question mark" again.

I put the original HDD back into the MBP and it rebooted with High Sierra without any problems.

I took the 256GB SSD and put it into an external enclosure and plugged it into the MBP. I erased the SDD and formatted it as stated above. I used “Disk Utility” to clone the HDD (High Sierra) onto the SDD. I used the “Startup Disk” preferences to select the SDD on the next reboot. Well, same results, I get the "Flashing folder with Question mark".

So now I’m getting frustrated. I rebooted into High Sierra using the original HDD and formatted the 256GB SSD with APFS file system. I downloaded “dosdudes’s macOS Catalina Patcher” and prepared the bootable USB (formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Map). I followed the Catalina install instruction outlined throughout this thread using the bootable USB but on my first reboot of Catalina, again I get the "Flashing folder with Question mark".

Can anyone tell what else I can try? Apparently, I’m having issues with a complete installation using an SSD.

I checked Apples website: EFI and SMC Firmware Updates for Intel-based Mac Computers (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201518) and it has ROM Version: MBP81.0047.2AB (2015-001); SMC Version: 1.68f99. This is different from my specs below:

Model: MacbookPro 8,1 (Late 2011)
Processor: Intel Core I5 2.4 Ghz
Memory 16MB 1333 Mhz DDR3
Boot ROM Version: 87.0.0.0.0
SMC Version: 1.68f99

FixerMX

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2020
APFS ROM patcher. I was all set to install this for the woman’s 2008 MBP 5,1. Then a “you might brick” your machine warning came up that I’ve never seen with this tool. View attachment 925718
Minor heart flutter engaged. I can’t find a resource that shows me where to find the ROM chip to verify this. Any help would be appreciated. I even looked on a spare board I had laying around, nothing scream ROM chip.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think MBP5,1 can use the ROM patcher. Instead, doesn’t it use the alternative APFS boot sequence?

Reactions: TimothyR734

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
I need help. I’m currently running High Sierra on the original spindle HDD. I want to upgrade the HDD to an SSD and install Catalina using dosdudes’ Patcher. I have two new Samsung SDD’s (256GB 830 Pro and 500GB 860 EVO).

I installed the 256GB SSD (formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Map) and did an in-place installation (Internet Recovery Option while holding Command + R) of High Sierra. On the next reboot I get the "Flashing folder with Question mark". I immediately erased the SSD and tried my steps again but with the same results. So, I thought it must be something with the new 256GB SSD.

I installed the 500GB SSD (formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Map) and did an in-place install of High Sierra and again, at the next reboot I get the "Flashing folder with Question mark".

So, I did an in-place installation (Internet Recovery Option while holding Shift, Command, Option + R) of the original macOS Mountain Lion. On the very next reboot I got the "Flashing folder with Question mark" again.

I put the original HDD back into the MBP and it rebooted with High Sierra without any problems.

I took the 256GB SSD and put it into an external enclosure and plugged it into the MBP. I erased the SDD and formatted it as stated above. I used “Disk Utility” to clone the HDD (High Sierra) onto the SDD. I used the “Startup Disk” preferences to select the SDD on the next reboot. Well, same results, I get the "Flashing folder with Question mark".

So now I’m getting frustrated. I rebooted into High Sierra using the original HDD and formatted the 256GB SSD with APFS file system. I downloaded “dosdudes’s macOS Catalina Patcher” and prepared the bootable USB (formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled), GUID Partition Map). I followed the Catalina install instruction outlined throughout this thread using the bootable USB but on my first reboot of Catalina, again I get the "Flashing folder with Question mark".

Can anyone tell what else I can try? Apparently, I’m having issues with a complete installation using an SSD.

I checked Apples website: EFI and SMC Firmware Updates for Intel-based Mac Computers (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201518) and it has ROM Version: MBP81.0047.2AB (2015-001); SMC Version: 1.68f99. This is different from my specs below:

Model: MacbookPro 8,1 (Late 2011)
Processor: Intel Core I5 2.4 Ghz
Memory 16MB 1333 Mhz DDR3
Boot ROM Version: 87.0.0.0.0
SMC Version: 1.68f99

List of MacOS High Sierra 10.13 Compatible Macs
All new model Macs will be compatible with MacOS 10.13. The supported hardware list below shows the minimum system requirement Mac models capable of running macOS 10.13:
  • MacBook Pro – 2010 or later models
  • MacBook – Late 2009 or later models
  • MacBook Air – 2010 or later models
  • iMac – Late 2009 or later models
  • Mac Mini – 2010 or later models
  • Mac Pro – 2010 or later models
If you have a copy of macOS High Sierra format your ssd to HFS-Extended-Journaled install macOS High Sierra install all the updates there should be some firmware updates and also will make you Mac natively boot APFS since your can run High Sierra without any patches from Dosdude patcher after that boot into your Catalina Patcher go into the terminal enter csrutil disable reboot into the Catalina Patcher enter Disk utility format your ssd APFS then install macOS Catalina then on reboot after installation booting to the Catalina patcher and apply the post install patches for your Mac remember SIP needs to remain disabled :)

Reactions: trifero
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.