Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm tired of replacing batteries on my keyboards and trackpads

The keyboard is great, I go months and months on everyday use, but the mouse is terrible. Once a month battery change at minimum. I said I was going to get a rechargeable battery set next time I was at the Apple store, but haven't been there in months.

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
So much magic. So much wow.

image.jpeg

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
A new touch pad and keyboard would be nice with touch id and force touch. I just hope they will not restrict them to new imacs. I would buy the accessories but am in no need of upgrading my imac. Hoping to hear the magic words "compatible with all imacs that support el capitan."

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
So what's going to be different about these over the current versions?
Here's some possibilities based on what we've heard to date...
  • New designs and/or colors
  • Bluetooth 4.2
  • Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion batteries instead of AA batteries
  • Backlit keys on the keyboard
  • Force Touch
  • Touch ID (seems unlikelier)

Reactions: Markjkc

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
This.

I'm an accounting major and actually find Apple's Bluetooth keyboard the most comfortable for me, but when I work with numbers (all the time), I have to get out a cheap Amazon USB number pad.
I use the wired full keyboard but would prefer a rechargeable wireless full size to simply reduce the number of wires.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
force touch? 3D TOUCH? omg
Those 2 terms are bit in the air at the moment. Personally, Force Touch is a better term and everyone who has an Apple Watch knows how it might work. Introducing another term just confuses the normal user.

But I understand that there are levels of pressure in 3D Touch, hence that name.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Force Touch and Touch ID are unlikely because both would need Bluetooth to transfer information. The latter is likely out of the question over Bluetooth. When/if the a Mac gets Touch ID it will likely have to be on the Mac itself tied to some sort of "secure enclave". We'll see.

Canada420

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
I would like to see these two items announced with an all new 4k RiMac 24" and 8K uRiMac 32"

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
Those 2 terms are bit in the air at the moment. Personally, Force Touch is a better term and everyone who has an Apple Watch knows how it might work. Introducing another term just confuses the normal user.

But I understand that there are levels of pressure in 3D Touch, hence that name.
Force Touch uses levels of pressure too. That's how the regular click vs the force click thing works. The technologies are identical.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My ideal Magic Mouse:
  • Force Touch/Taptic feedback
  • Integrated Touch ID
  • Integrated battery
  • Wireless charging
  • Latest BT with lower power requirements
  • Little bit more curved and ergonomic
  • Black color option
My ideal Apple Keyboard:
  • HBacklit capability
  • Somehow touch sensitive for swipe cursor moving gestures like on the iPad keyboard and 6s keyboard
  • Improved key press sensation
  • Integrated battery
  • Wireless charging
  • Latest BT with lower power requirements
  • Black color option
Hopefully we at least get a few of these!

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Here's some possibilities based on what we've heard to date...
  • New designs and/or colors
  • Bluetooth 4.2
  • Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion batteries instead of AA batteries
  • Backlit keys on the keyboard
  • Force Touch
  • Touch ID (seems unlikelier)

Interesting, I can see Apple use the lightning connector to charge the Magic Mouse, Keyboard & Trackpad so it would look like a wired peripheral while charging.

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
See! Even I'm confused lol
Funny! Although it's from Wikipedia, when you force click on Force Touch, you get:

"Force Touch is a technology developed by Apple Inc. It is currently used in the 2015 MacBook, 2015 MacBook Pro models, the 2015 Apple Watch, and the iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus."

I guess this hasn't been one of Apple's more successful obfuscations!

Reactions: foxkoneko

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wonder if we get Skylake MBPs yet this year and if we do does that mean the MacBook Airs hang around for another year? I can't see redesigned MBPs being relegated to a press release and I can't see MBAs going away until the MBP is redesigned to be lighter.

andyyardley

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010

I think 3D Touch will be the name moving forward and most likely for a marketing point of view as I believe Force Torch means something else to some people, and it's not good.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Funny! Although it's from Wikipedia, when you force click on Force Touch, you get:

"Force Touch is a technology developed by Apple Inc. It is currently used in the 2015 MacBook, 2015 MacBook Pro models, the 2015 Apple Watch, and the iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus."

I guess this hasn't been one of Apple's more successful obfuscations!

Originally I thought that Apple got rid of the name 'Force Touch' because it's implication as a rape....

But thinking about it, if the advertising was correct, we wouldn't even think about that...

I'm surprised Apple didn't keep 'Force Touch' and use it with Star Wars ads! 'Use the Force Touch! Yoda and Luke do!'

star_wars_episode_iii.02.jpg

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
I hope they allow more gesture modifications directly through apple with Magic Mouse. Magic prefs was great but broke shake to find mouse in el cap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.