Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
For anyone that ordered from AliExpress I just got a message from the seller I got these from and he said this one has a detachable cable. I’m going to be getting a few more of these soonish.

also, has a better vent clip that pulls in and out to lock in better.

http://aliexpress.com/item/10050017...&terminal_id=79a7c1126bb646beb2feb19d6a3e954c
Ok guys I’m responding to my post with pictures the seller sent to me of the actual product after I asked.
This is exactly what I was looking for to begin with. Looks like the cable plugs into the backside under the mounting point so it’s always hidden(perfect)(edit-yes the cable plug is in the back spot under the mounting location). The front looks to be matte black and there’s little plastic pull pieces over the center charger looks like(might be glossy behind that which is fine).

Attachments

• 417E4EF4-4347-45DE-8AF9-60B200260C65.jpeg
    417E4EF4-4347-45DE-8AF9-60B200260C65.jpeg
    693.1 KB · Views: 233
  • FF33C814-CE6D-4477-8435-86E6C87B241E.jpeg
    FF33C814-CE6D-4477-8435-86E6C87B241E.jpeg
    849.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 1DD204BA-D403-47FE-A584-E25A71AEDF4A.jpeg
    1DD204BA-D403-47FE-A584-E25A71AEDF4A.jpeg
    875.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 089601AA-9E13-4A0B-BF40-85C4756EB806.jpeg
    089601AA-9E13-4A0B-BF40-85C4756EB806.jpeg
    793.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 8A8B6CAE-5AC4-47B3-815A-54C5AAC5F92C.jpeg
    8A8B6CAE-5AC4-47B3-815A-54C5AAC5F92C.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 122
  • DFDA641E-569C-4F87-8CCD-545D08C288D1.jpeg
    DFDA641E-569C-4F87-8CCD-545D08C288D1.jpeg
    833.7 KB · Views: 143
  • B25121CC-1F27-4A03-A5B3-C676F11C2ABB.jpeg
    B25121CC-1F27-4A03-A5B3-C676F11C2ABB.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Ok guys I’m responding to my post with pictures the seller sent to me of the actual product after I asked.
This is exactly what I was looking for to begin with. Looks like the cable plugs into the backside under the mounting point so it’s always hidden(perfect)(edit-yes the cable plug is in the back spot under the mounting location). The front looks to be matte black and there’s little plastic pull pieces over the center charger looks like(might be glossy behind that which is fine).

Maybe it’s the angle but the rectangular one looks twice as thick as the similar eBay one.
The picture on the packaging makes it look like the same thickness as the phone itself. That’s about the thickness of my eBay one.
The product picture that shows the side views of both the rectangular and the oval one looks like they’re as thick as a deck of cards.
If they moved the charging port to the back (eBay one is on tbe bottom of the rectangle) then why the extra thickness?

Last edited:

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Maybe it’s the angle but the rectangular one looks twice as thick as the similar eBay one. It doesn’t in the photo on the package but it does in the actual product photo.
If they moved the charging port to the back (eBay one is on tbe bottom of the rectangle) then why the extra thickness?
Just looked at them again and yea it does look about twice as thick. I don't mind that at all the current ones they sent me look pretty cheap with the glossy. The design is cheaper for sure. These new ones look much better made to me. I like that the charger is hidden in the back too which probably added to the thickness.

Reactions: Synomenon

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
I just got a Belkin MagSafe Car Vent Mount PRO for my iPhone 12 mini and I'm able to rotate it on the mount, I thought that the line of magnets underneath the circle of magnets would prevent it from rotating. Can someone who has the Belkin mount and iPhone12 mini let me know if there iPhone rotates on the mount? Thanks!

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I just got a Belkin MagSafe Car Vent Mount PRO for my iPhone 12 mini and I'm able to rotate it on the mount, I thought that the line of magnets underneath the circle of magnets would prevent it from rotating. Can someone who has the Belkin mount and iPhone12 mini let me know if there iPhone rotates on the mount? Thanks!
How tight is it locked to the ball? If it’s too tight then it won’t rotate it well if at all. I’d imagine you can’t rotate it well without holding the Belkin piece and your phone at the same time and turning it.
what happens when you hold the phone and mount with your hand and turn not just the phone?
turning anything on a magnet usually makes it come off easily

Last edited:

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
High tight is it locked to the ball? If it’s too tight then it won’t rotate it well if at all. I’d imagine you can’t rotate it well without holding the Belkin piece and your phone at the same time and turning it.
what happens when you hold the phone and mount with your hand and turn not just the phone?
turning anything on a magnet usually makes it come off easily
The Belkin MagSafe Car Vent Mount Pro doesn't have a way to loosen the ball, If I grab the phone and rotate then just the phone rotates. I'm fine if that's the case, I'm just curious if it's normal for the iPhone 12 mini to do this since I though the line of magnets under the circle was to prevent that

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
The Belkin MagSafe Car Vent Mount Pro doesn't have a way to loosen the ball, If I grab the phone and rotate then just the phone rotates. I'm fine if that's the case, I'm just curious if it's normal for the iPhone 12 mini to do this since I though the line of magnets under the circle was to prevent that
There’s no way to loosen how stiff the mount is? When you turn it is it fairly easy? The magnets Are there to hold it in place so it doesnt rotate on its own. If you turn the phone it will still turn from your hand but should have some small amount of not wanting to. But that’s how you take the phone off the mount anyway. Turning it is easier then pulling straight out. So I assume it’s normal. If I wanted to turn it Id hold both the phone and mount.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
Mine’s finally supposed to arrive Saturday. Will post some photos before I saw off the ball mount and slap some 3M tape on it.

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
Ah, ok - let us know what you think of the Zeera (when you get it) compared to the ESR
Just got the Zeera....I must say I like it better!!! for starters its only as wide as the magnet ring on the phone. I'm currently not using my car so I actually used the vent clip and its very strong because it actually locks in place. The magnet is very strong. Also when I plugged it in to an 18W wall charger I actually got the "circle animation" on the phone....which was neat LOL. Another thing is that I ordered the set that included the MagSafe case...and I really like the case. The apple one was $50!!!! this one goes for $20 and I think it more protective. The only thing I havent tested is if the wireless charging gets hot. The ESR did not get hot at all (I'm guessing cause of the cooling vanes). Will update once I try.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 141

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Just got the Zeera....I must say I like it better!!! for starters its only as wide as the magnet ring on the phone. I'm currently not using my car so I actually used the vent clip and its very strong because it actually locks in place. The magnet is very strong. Also when I plugged it in to an 18W wall charger I actually got the "circle animation" on the phone....which was neat LOL. Another thing is that I ordered the set that included the MagSafe case...and I really like the case. The apple one was $50!!!! this one goes for $20 and I think it more protective. The only thing I havent tested is if the wireless charging gets hot. The ESR did not get hot at all (I'm guessing cause of the cooling vanes). Will update once I try.
Let us know how fast it charges. Specifically, I'm interested if it can keep the phone charged & charging while using GPS + Streaming audio...something which regular 7.5w and 5w wireless chargers fail at. I'm curious to see if the magsafe animation actually means it is capable of max speed charging (is there some handshake involved?)... or if that just means it recognized a magsafe accessory nfc that Zeera somehow managed to knock off.

Reactions: jimmysalg

RiotMilk

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
They should have put magnets on the back of the magsafe charger so that you could "stack" accessories, i.e. phone on magsafe on belkin car mount... my thing is that i am not sure i want it to always be charging, btu guess i could always just unplug a charger. checking out this zeera now, seems to be the frontrunner here so far?

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
Thanks for sharing! I like the locking vent clip (currently the weakest link in my ESR setup) and the smaller size. If it actually charges at 15W, too, that would definitely take it over the top!

• I'm curious whether Zeera has a track record of quality/reliability or if this is just a AliExpress reseller with better marketing?
  • Is it possible to buy just the MagSafe charging disc + vent mount piece (without the desk and wall mounts)?
Let us know how fast it charges. Specifically, I'm interested if it can keep the phone charged & charging while using GPS + Streaming audio...something which regular 7.5w and 5w wireless chargers fail at. I'm curious to see if the magsafe animation actually means it is capable of max speed charging (is there some handshake involved?)... or if that just means it recognized a magsafe accessory nfc that Zeera somehow managed to knock off.
I just took a 20 hour round-trip road trip with the ESR (which I assume charges at 7.5W max) and charging continued to increase with Google Maps routing live and Apple Music streaming even through some areas with poor cell signal.

I'm also curious about the MagSafe animation because I thought that was only for "Made for MagSafe" accessories (with the badge/icon that is like the MFi [Made for iPhone] ones). I also find it curious that Zeera is using MagSafe in the product name (where as ESR's product says "Supports MagSafe"). I wonder if that means they are endorsed by Apple (that it is Made for MagSafe) or Apple just hasn't bothered to address it

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I'm also curious about the MagSafe animation because I thought that was only for "Made for MagSafe" accessories (with the badge/icon that is like the MFi [Made for iPhone] ones). I also find it curious that Zeera is using MagSafe in the product name (where as ESR's product says "Supports MagSafe"). I wonder if that means they are endorsed by Apple (that it is Made for MagSafe) or Apple just hasn't bothered to address it
Zeera looks to me like an ali-express reseller w/ better marketing and perhaps local stock. My guess is they reverse-engineered the magsafe NFC chip and just have that. I don't really care about the animation... I'm more curious about if the presence of the NFC chip is all it takes to enable 15w charging. If so, potentially a simple NFC chip sticker could "unlock" 15w charger on tons of existing regular QI chargers. Minus the benefit of magnetic alignment of course.

Reactions: chrisdazzo

DBlankenbaker

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
Anxiously awaiting your feedback on the quality and magnetism when you have this in hand. The rectangular version looks exactly like what I want.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Does this look like the same unit you got (power input on the backside)?

eekcat

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010

Does (or can) the phone rotate while on the charger? I've tried sticking a MagSafe charger on an existing mount, and it rotates enough while driving that it's askew within minutes.

stanlehh

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
am curious, do we have to use a magsafe case in order to use a magsafe car mount?

what happens if i use a normal case and mount it with a mag safe car mount, would it still work?

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
am curious, do we have to use a magsafe case in order to use a magsafe car mount?

what happens if i use a normal case and mount it with a mag safe car mount, would it still work?
It will definitely work worse as far as magnetic strength. Magnetic force drops quickly with distance between magnets. You might be able to get away with some ultra-thin cases.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey

I just received the ESR Hololock charger and I'm using a Torras Diamond clear case and the connection isn't strong enough. Phone slips off the charger immediately. I ordered a few metal rings from Amazon and will tape one to the back of the case which should be very strong.

I want a clear case and tried the Apple MagSafe case, but it was WAY to slippery and the buttons were too hard to press so I returned it. Like the Torras case, just wish the magnet was stronger through it

stanlehh

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
It will definitely work worse as far as magnetic strength. Magnetic force drops quickly with distance between magnets. You might be able to get away with some ultra-thin cases.
meaning my best bet is to use an Apple magsafe case?

my leather case easily slips out of the phone thus i considered changing it out and yet be able to use a magsafe car mount

stanlehh

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
I just received the ESR Hololock charger and I'm using a Torras Diamond clear case and the connection isn't strong enough. Phone slips off the charger immediately. I ordered a few metal rings from Amazon and will tape one to the back of the case which should be very strong.

I want a clear case and tried the Apple MagSafe case, but it was WAY to slippery and the buttons were too hard to press so I returned it. Like the Torras case, just wish the magnet was stronger through it
how was the mounting with the Apple magsafe case? very secure?

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
meaning my best bet is to use an Apple magsafe case?

my leather case easily slips out of the phone thus i considered changing it out and yet be able to use a magsafe car mount
I'd assume so yes. As far as I know the only 3rd party maker with integrated magsafe is otterbox at the moment. I'm sure in a month's time there will be dozens of other options though.

iphnhelp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Zeera looks to me like an ali-express reseller w/ better marketing and perhaps local stock. My guess is they reverse-engineered the magsafe NFC chip and just have that. I don't really care about the animation... I'm more curious about if the presence of the NFC chip is all it takes to enable 15w charging. If so, potentially a simple NFC chip sticker could "unlock" 15w charger on tons of existing regular QI chargers. Minus the benefit of magnetic alignment of course.
I have the Zeera. I like it and I want to get another one. I just found this on Amazon which looks identical (even down to the packaging) as the Zeera. Cheaper also. I got it on Prime shipping coming tomorrow. Let you know if it's the same. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LL1LLJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: jimmysalg

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I'd assume so yes. As far as I know the only 3rd party maker with integrated magsafe is otterbox at the moment. I'm sure in a month's time there will be dozens of other options though.

In a month the primary Xmas season will be over. Seems very strange, given we are so close to Xmas that more MagSafe stuff (not just cases) isn’t available, even if only janky first gen stuff. Big case and third party accessory makers do get a heads-up from Apple (I’ve seen their NDA’s), not just Otterbox, and it’s not a complicated addition to normal case designs. Really looks like there is no appetite or enthusiasm for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.