Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

domhoenig

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
Has anyone found a good option (Belkin included) that works well with vertical AC vents like these?

View attachment 1687808

edit: not bothered about the ability to charge. 95% of my car journeys are short.
The ones I’ve posted about work fine on vertical vents. Clip is plenty strong enough. Using in my car with vertical vents.

macmic

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2020
I really like the look of that. The only thing that is stopping me is I have wired CarPlay. The usb slot is dead-center at the bottom of the dash/console, near the cup holder. The power cable would dangle in front of some controls and things, looking sloppy. I looked the other day, and there is no space between panels to slip the cable through.

I have a 2020 Kia Sportage EX w/Tech package. This is kind of what it looks like. I’d want to mount left vent, and you can see the usb at the bottom (and where the wireless charging bay is). Unfortunately, not a lot of good forums for Kia owners.

If anyone happens to know a solution, I’m all ears!!!
HI decypher

solution would be to use a carplay-wifi box with USB passthrough. so you connect the carplaywifi adapter to the USB-port and use the passthrough to power the QI.

There's also a great aupport-thread here in this forum:

cheers,mic

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Thanks. Is the Apple MagSafe strong enough on a bumpy ride?
Yes it is.

I've been using it for a couple of days now and it's been absolutely fine. It works great. I'm using a 12 Pro Max with the Apple MagSafe clear case. Not the stickiest magnet but good enough for all the driving I've done.

Had to buy a USB-C car adapter for it.

715MUaZifkL._AC_SL1496_.jpg

macmic

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2020
To follow up, here’s a few photos of my setup. Seems to be working very well. I haven’t driven over speed bumps at highway speeds but it sure seems stable. Magnets are strong. It breaks free easily when pulled but the force to make it come loose seems beyond what’s going to happen in the car.

One note: the larger platform of something like the belkin vent mount would be useful here. The round holder I printed for the MagSafe charger is barely larger than the charger. If it was squared and went a little higher up or down it would prevent more lateral movements that could cause the magnet to break free. I do not believe there will ever be enough force, barring collision, to have enough force to pull straight off.

I need to learn to make my own STLs heh.

e50a1f329201113256f34b695a1bf4f7.jpg
6325df4b10724e71d5afab1374651702.jpg

@rKunda I would like to get one printed as well :) Can you send me a PM with infos? THanks,mic

Last edited:

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I have a ProClip mount for my car. I’m thinking about using this AMPS ball adapter in conjunction with the mounts everyone has been using.

Has anybody tried this? I thought I saw some replies that said they would but haven’t anything yet.

Attachments

• 415AC0E4-D4AB-44F9-8C01-B500742E47DC.jpeg
    415AC0E4-D4AB-44F9-8C01-B500742E47DC.jpeg
    431.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 714BAC9D-844C-483C-9D49-B97E12203F76.jpeg
    714BAC9D-844C-483C-9D49-B97E12203F76.jpeg
    516.3 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: theautopilot

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Has anyone found a good option (Belkin included) that works well with vertical AC vents like these?

View attachment 1687808

edit: not bothered about the ability to charge. 95% of my car journeys are short.
Vertical it should work. Just put it at the bottom of the vent. I don’t think it matters as long as it can tighten onto the back of the vent. My jellyfish mount has this type of tighten piece into the vent and locks into it. Also a ball mount.
amazon.com/dp/B01GHV33KY/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glc_fabc_2MpZFb0W5AZH1

jimmysalg

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
ESR mount option

Attachments

• tempImage0X4yQp.png
    tempImage0X4yQp.png
    3 MB · Views: 215
  • tempImage6TEpT1.png
    tempImage6TEpT1.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 351
  • tempImagehPNYpu.png
    tempImagehPNYpu.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 294

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
To add to my post. I just ordered the MagSafe car mount and AMPS 17mm adapter. I will report back once I receive both and see if this is a compatible solution for those using ProClip/Brodit mounts.

rodriguez256

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2014
San Antonio
Annoying! You should get one of these, they’re honestly great
Honestly after me and others getting the USB-A cable attached and with the quality of it I’m not ever buying one like it again. I won’t truly know which one I would be getting, not worth the gamble for me. I’ll still use it for the time being. And get something later.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
USB c input and removeable. Photos...
wasn't the silicone magnet parts supposed to be black? Are there any usb-c like ones like that all black? Thats literally what I want and definitely don't want a white silicone standing out on black like that. I might be a tad picky. Ill stick with my usb-a version for now all black even though I was expecting a usb c like that just all black.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
To add to my post. I just ordered the MagSafe car mount and AMPS 17mm adapter. I will report back once I receive both and see if this is a compatible solution for those using ProClip/Brodit mounts.
Interested to see.

I just ordered a CD mount and I might get the MagSafe charger and go that route with 3M tape.

I really just wanted a good no charging magnet holder without using a MagSafe case and without putting a magnet in the case to work with the mount.

Maybe it just isn't possible?

domhoenig

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
wasn't the silicone magnet parts supposed to be black? Are there any usb-c like ones like that all black? Thats literally what I want and definitely don't want a white silicone standing out on black like that. I might be a tad picky. Ill stick with my usb-a version for now all black even though I was expecting a usb c like that just all black.
Hahaha seems trivial really doesn’t it, imagining your phone will be on it whenever you’re in the car?!?

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I have a ProClip mount for my car. I’m thinking about using this AMPS ball adapter in conjunction with the mounts everyone has been using.

Has anybody tried this? I thought I saw some replies that said they would but haven’t anything yet.
Interested to see.

I just ordered a CD mount and I might get the MagSafe charger and go that route with 3M tape.

I really just wanted a good no charging magnet holder without using a MagSafe case and without putting a magnet in the case to work with the mount.

Maybe it just isn't possible?
I’ll be just using the MagSafe charger as a holder and not using the plug in for charging.

If not using a MagSafe case, as long as your phone is naked or using a thin case, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I’ll be just using the MagSafe charger as a holder and not using the plug in for charging.

If not using a MagSafe case, as long as your phone is naked or using a thin case, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible.
I need a strong enough magnet to work without adding a magnet in the case or buying a MagSafe case.

That’s why I think the MagSafe charger will work.

Don’t need to charge in the car either. Just a bonus I guess.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Are you guys looking for something different than using a magnetic cd mount/vent mount and attaching the oem magsafe to the surface? Just wondering why not many people are going with that.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
The one I bought from eBay finally arrived and it does have the removable USB-C.

The rubber accents are grey instead of black and there’s no MagSafe animation when charging but it does hold the phone which is all I really wanted since I still have wired CarPlay.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
The one I bought from eBay finally arrived and it does have the removable USB-C.

The rubber accents are grey instead of black and there’s no MagSafe animation when charging but it does hold the phone which is all I really wanted since I still have wired CarPlay.
Good to hear, thanks. I bought the same and am cutting the cord the moment I receive it, using it only for its magnetic mounting feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.