Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
This is only a very minor inconvenience. Apple will fix it soon. There's nothing else to discuss really and it doesn't point to a QA problem within Apple. This is one of the best iOS updates Apple has ever delivered.

Nothing to see here, folks. Apple loves us, let us love Apple back. Apple will never leave or forsake us. Apple can do no wrong. Yes, this would be a blemish on the likes of Google or Microsoft, but not Apple - because Apple is love.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
This feature was mostly useless for me from the beginning. If you ever restart your phone, you have to enter your password to download an app. At least half the time this happens to me because I don't download apps often enough.

Same, very annoying. it already asks for the passcode when unlock it after a reboot so why again on the appstore. it's like they don't trust in their own protection mechanism

Swinson

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
Funny thing is it worked fine during the beta...now it doesn't work. That's a big WTF.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
You know why I didn't notice? Because this feature NEVER worked for me on my 5s. Never. No matter what I tried, including setting the phone up as new, etc.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
How are facts misleading?

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20954989/

----------

I just checked with my personal imaging satellite, and it appears the earth is still spinning...

Rotating_earth_(large).gif

Phew, that's a relief.

Liebo

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2013
It was working fine in the beta, it must be something server side as I am still on the beta but once 8.3 went live, I got a new prompt about asking for password for free apps and since then, Touch ID has not worked.

Stuck on the beta until I get in range of a decent wifi.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Not only does mine not work but I can't even download any songs over 5.7MB!!!!!! Please, is anybody else having this issue?

Would you please add some more exclamation marks, as I am not confident your point has been conveyed. Thanks.

paryl

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
Austin, TX
Same, very annoying. it already asks for the passcode when unlock it after a reboot so why again on the appstore. it's like they don't trust in their own protection mechanism

What a silly conclusion.

People give their phones to their kids to play games, which means the phone has to be unlocked, but they don't want those same kids to make purchases.

I do think an option to turn it off would be nice, but it costs me maybe 3 seconds when I have to authenticate to download an app/song. I'd say the extra protection is worth it.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
What a silly conclusion.

People give their phones to their kids to play games, which means the phone has to be unlocked, but they don't want those same kids to make purchases.

I do think an option to turn it off would be nice, but it costs me maybe 3 seconds when I have to authenticate to download an app/song. I'd say the extra protection is worth it.

Not if you have a long password. It's a PITA having to put it every time I want to buy something.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I've noticed that TouchID seems to take a lot longer to unlock my iPhone 6+ since updating to iOS 8.3... I wonder if it's related?

This is actually happening to me too since updating, on my 6. Whenever I try to unlock my phone via Touch ID, my phone sort of "freezes" for a couple seconds, then unlocks. Every time. Never took this long before 8.3. Also getting a weird keyboard glitch that won't go away, but one issue at a time!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I appear to be affected too. I even tried toggling TouchID for App store setting off then back on.

Is there anyone who isn't affected?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
What a silly conclusion.

uhm duh thats what TouchID is for. What I meant is why do i have to put in my password so i can use TouchID after a reboot at the store if i already put the password in to unlock it. TouchID should work right away at the store

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I used to update to the latest build always but with the iOS 8 wifi debacle and other random iOS update issues (like this one), I usually just wait for a few weeks until they've patched the update.

I literally feel like many of the IT professionals that I work with that don't go to the latest version of anything MS puts out until at least sp1.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
This is an "Apple" issue

I don't think there is anything wrong with the touch ID or the OS update, its just Apple being silly about security rather than being clever.

Since I got an iPad Air 2, I found touch is annoying. If you don't log in for 48 hours then you have to use a password. Let the battery shut down, you have to use a password. Frequent purchases through the App store never work just with touch.

If Apple wants touch to be a security feature then all these exceptions are not making it a safer device to use, its just an annoyance. Half the time now I just put in my pin and not use touch simply because I am tired of all the exceptions to when touch won't work simply because Apple won't support Touch ID in a wide variety of situations.

Apple either needs to make touch rock solid and not require all these rules and exceptions, or just remove the feature from future iDevices.

It's one thing to be innovative, but when the feature simply does not work because of imposed restrictions and exceptions then the innovation becomes a contrivance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.