Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

095417-ipad_2_mics.jpg

iPad 2 microphones: 3G (top) vs. Wi-Fi (bottom)

iLounge reports that it has discovered differences in the quality of sound captured by the microphones on various Wi-Fi and 3G-capable models of the iPad 2, with the Wi-Fi-only models demonstrating the best sound quality. The differences primarily seem to stem from the fact that the microphone opening in the center of the top edge of the device is on an aluminum surface in Wi-Fi iPads and in black plastic on 3G models, although even the GSM and CDMA models behave slightly differently.Perhaps due to this change in materials, the Wi-Fi model offers markedly cleaner audio than that of the 3G, which sounds slightly muffled and echo-prone as a result. Curiously, we found the GSM 3G model's audio to be slightly preferable to that of the CDMA model, which seemed to suffer the issues more severely.According to the report, the differences are most pronounced when the iPad is held facing the user, as would typically the case when using FaceTime or other video-based apps.

The microphone has been located next to the headphone jack on the top edge of the first-generation iPad, but Apple presumably centered the microphone in the iPad 2 in hopes of doing a better job of picking up sound when used with FaceTime and other apps designed to be used in a forward-facing portrait orientation. It appears, however, that the acoustical qualities of the black plastic strip along the top edge used to house the antenna in 3G-capable models results in lower performance compared to Wi-Fi models with the microphone surrounded by aluminum.

Article Link: Microphone Differences Found Between Wi-Fi and 3G iPad 2 Models

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
With devices this complex, I would guess there's a fault somewhere.

I think the biggest fault is Apple not doing any real market user testing because they are scared of their secret new devices leaking out before Steve Jobs can announce it himself.

You can only find so many faults in something when you are so intimately close to it.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
another example of design, over COMMON SENSE function -

It's a microphone - don't you think it belongs facing the front? One may work better than the other, but none will works as well as they should if they'd been placed were they belong.

Same problem with speaker location. :(

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would really like to know how the iPad 1 compares with these.

alhedges

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
The iLounge report also said that the sound quality of the GSM iPad was better than that of the CDMA iPad. :confused:

pingouinqc

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
Any way to confirm this?

Hey guys, can't you test this and post some real-life audio from your tests?
I'd be interested to hear de difference between the original iPad and the three iPad 2 models.

I'm in Canada and I need to confirm my choice before march 25th ;)

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
WiFi model is > 3G

Really glad I bought the WiFi version, and 4GB data pro iPhone tethering ftw.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Is the difference like "OMG, this sounds like crap" or more like "Fascinating, my sensitive acoustical diagnostic equipment detected a discrepancy in fidelity that just might be perceptible by human ears?"

Give me a break.

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Is the difference like "OMG, this sounds like crap" or more like "Fascinating, my sensitive acoustical diagnostic equipment detected a discrepancy in fidelity that just might be perceptible by human ears?"

Give me a break.

lol'd.

I'm getting the WiFi version anyway, not once did I put a sim card into my 3G 1st Gen.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Give me a break.

My dog was complaining that the highest range confused him.

There was no high pitch discernible difference between "Good boy and bad dog"!

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
another example of design, over COMMON SENSE function -

It's a microphone - don't you think it belongs facing the front? One may work better than the other, but none will works as well as they should if they'd been placed were they belong.

Same problem with speaker location. :(

yea, where would you put the microphone and speaker(s) in the front? right next to the camera so it looks more like a giant iPhone4?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.