Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Apple seems to be scoring a lot of self-goals. Honestly, the policy doesn't likely stop people from buying Game Pass. It doesn't make people buy mobile versions of the same games (many of which don't exist) on the iPhone. It doesn't protect privacy or security. It doesn't ensure quality of the app, since there are a lot of crap apps on the App store already. Its not limited by technology, but instead arbitrary policy designed in theory to force all service and software sales to give Apple their share. All Apple is doing is angering users that would want to use it on their platform, and causing extra scrutiny on their policies at a time they are already being called before congress. It likely costs them nothing to remove this policy restriction, but will cost them in future sales and legal actions. There is absolutely no reason for Apple to have any say in what type of things I do with a "remote desktop" application, which is what this is.
[automerge]1596821059[/automerge]

I don't disagree, but just because you don't find it appealing doesn't mean its not important to others to have the option

Fair. I am probably more sensitive to the input lag that most running on 144 and 240 hertz displays.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
I for one do not understand the appeal to cloud gaming. There is no chance it has the same input lag as my 300+fps computer running the code locally at 144hz or 240 hz display. Actually even PS Now has input lag when I was trying out Metal Gear Solid and I have 500 Mbps connection.
But can you take your computer to school?

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I for one do not understand the appeal to cloud gaming. There is no chance it has the same input lag as my 300+fps computer running the code locally at 144hz or 240 hz display. Actually even PS Now has input lag when I was trying out Metal Gear Solid and I have 500 Mbps connection.

I played some Halo on xCloud and honestly it wasn't bad. Not great either. Am I going to give up my PC running a RTX Geforce 2080 Super? lol.....hardly. But I would play some slower paced games like a tactical or turn-based RPG that really don't benefit from high frame rates or are hindered by high input lag.

However, if I was a gamer who traveled a lot then I could see the benefit to this tech. But that's a niche market and it would need to be a lot bigger to matter.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
Does not compute. I can stream my PlayStation games and my Steam games to my iOS devices. None of my games have to be reviewed for iOS for me to do that.

The difference is that I stream from. My hardware on my network whereas Game Pass would go through the cloud. But I don’t understand why that makes a difference.

Reactions: techfreak23

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Does not compute. I can stream my PlayStation games and my Steam games to my iOS devices. None of my games have to be reviewed for iOS for me to do that.

The difference is that I stream from. My hardware on my network whereas Game Pass would go through the cloud. But I don’t understand why that makes a difference.

Because its your own content. You bought the games on Playstation. Or Steam. It is your game library.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Can't understand the appeal of cloud gaming when Apple comes in and takes x86 away from all their computers? It's coming for PCs too, ARM. Bye bye current Steam library. Better keep that old computer running and pray nothing goes wrong.

This was in the plan for about 5 years now according to a recent article that Apple was very frustrated with Intel Skylake CPUs. They have had this planned for years. I do not think anyone expected AMD to come around with Ryzen and blow away Intel.

I have a Windows PC for gaming and an iMac for work. While I would like to have one system, and still might get a Mac Pro this fall to last 5 years, Macs were never meant for gaming.

Anox

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2020
That logic doesn’t really work though. They already support controllers for Xbox and PS4 natively in iOS. The inputs are standard and can be reviewed even if the controllers were to change significantly in the next generation of consoles (we already know they aren’t). It’s not like game developers are coding the inputs themselves, they are just reacting to them. Even then, the inputs from the user are handled by Microsoft either by the server or your console at home. There’s no risk of “code injection” because the game is actually being run somewhere else and not on the iOS device itself. You are only “viewing” or “streaming” the rendering as a result of said inputs. Microsoft is in control of the stream that gets sent to your device, much like Netflix or YouTube. If they’re concerned about content, they can restrict what games can be presented in the iOS apps for their service based on existing ESRB ratings or risk being taken down. That would be no different than most retailers opting not to carry Adult rated games, which to begin with are pretty rare.

“Screaming monopoly” for everything people disagree with, much like the App Store commission, is not great and I don’t agree with that part of the case. This issue, however, is a glaring example of monopolistic behavior.
Is xCloud inner working available to anyone anywhere I’m not sure this is the case even if it is game developers can do a lot with controls (not just controllers) in fact any developer can It might seem Apple is just naming arbitrary things but as it stands streaming in this case might be broader than it seems and Apple does not like streaming games that is within their right as a company, just like Apple is in the right to not put Xcode or Final Cut X on Windows

if a customer prioritize this getting and Android phone is probably the right choice
And No One should stop them if they are stopping themselves that their problem
Apple is great but Google, Samsung, LG and so many more (really even Nokia makes android smartphones)

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California

I mostly game on a 144hz Ultrawide monitor. With game pass, you can download the games locally on a PC or Xbox, it doesn't have to be a stream. For now, you have to download the games locally, as streaming starts next month. I will be able to play Destiny 2 on game pass locally on my PC with max settings, my most played way. Sometimes I want to relax on the couch, so I'll continue my progress with game pass on an xbox in the living room (despite the drastic change of keyboard and mouse, to controller).

Not everything in Destiny requires full attention or the most precise input lag. So to someone like me who prefers my PC, it is still a convenient option to play on a mobile device streaming. I'm not going into multiplayer streaming it on my phone because I have a PC, but I would be on my phone to grind out daily bounties. I've discovered games I would have never bought, or would have waited a long time for a sale. Even with a PC rig it's been worth my money. So far, they've got over 10 million subscribers.

Reactions: coolbeep

Anox

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2020
xCloud connects the user to one of the Xbox consoles in Microsoft's Azure datacenter and provides the user to a collection of games provided via Microsoft's Game Pass service which costs the user $15 a month. Microsoft compares this to the "Netflix of gaming". I think the crux of the problem here is that you have a major revenue stream in the works that Apple is not getting any part of it.

It doesn't? What's missing outside of Mac and iOS?
First thing Linux you the One Microsoft hated and changed their mind about, One of the five most common OS

if we go by the logic many people cite Microsoft could Definitely have gone the “amazon” alleged route and get a “special” treatment but instead they decided to pressure Apple publicly I don’t know how xCloud really does operate, if it’s like you say there is some very specific parts of the policy that addresses it, I wonder if Microsoft has the power to make them change it?

coolbeep

Suspended
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Well that was a dumb move Apple. I have been waiting for xCloud on iOS for ssoooooo long. This feels wrong. Gonna have to buy an android device for it now. Apple won't even care, they already have my money

Reactions: SmugMaverick

RoundaboutRider

macrumors member
May 5, 2020
Well that was a dumb move Apple. I have been waiting for xCloud on iOS for ssoooooo long. This feels wrong. Gonna have to buy an android device for it now. Apple won't even care, they already have my money

I feel the same way. It feels like this year Apple has totally gone insular and shafted those of us who value interoperability what with ARM Macs and now this. Guess we should've seen it coming at some point... It's that overinflated Apple hubris and "courage" again.

Reactions: SmugMaverick

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
Because its your own content. You bought the games on Playstation. Or Steam. It is your game library.

In a way the Game Pass games are games I already paid for and “own.” The Game Pass library is my library. I paid for my PS Plus “free” games the same way I pay for my Game Pass games.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
xCloud consists of Game Pass games.
Beyond the limited beta (i.e. Preview), don't think of them as separate services just a feature of Game Pass Ultimate.
Microsoft said:
How is cloud gaming related to Project xCloud? Is it the same?
Project xCloud was the name of our public technology preview for cloud gaming that began in September 2019. After gathering feedback from players from around the world during the preview, we built the technology into Xbox Game Pass Ultimate so you can play 100+ Xbox games on your Android mobile phone or tablet, directly from the cloud.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
If what you're saying regarding the game library is true, then MS has a terrible marketing team. None of what you're vouching for is actually mentioned on the xCloud promotional site. They just say generic things like "over 100 games" and don't bother to mention Halo:Infinite being available day one.
They have said all first party games will be on Game Pass day one.
Correct.
Microsoft said:
Be among the first to play the latest titles from Xbox Game Studios and ID@Xbox, available to Xbox Game Pass members the same day as their global release.
Phil Spencer said:
Xbox Game Pass: In addition to games from across four generations of consoles, our leading game subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, will continue to have our first party games, like Halo Infinite, included at their launch. We look forward to millions of you experiencing the Xbox Game Pass portfolio and immersing yourselves in a deep library of high-quality games, playing those you love now and also discovering your next great adventure.

Reactions: TopherMan12

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
That’s also an issue, and not an excuse. They should grab all these greedy $@&*! by their tails and slam against the next wall.
It's been like this for over a decade (years before the App Store was announced), but no one complained until Apple joined the game.

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
You've never provided a specific reason for why the app review requirement is different in the case of Microsoft's app. Is Microsoft selling functional use of an additional library of apps through their streaming app? Yes. What is your reasoning for why those apps are exempt from review? You can't argue that they aren't apps. You can't argue that Apple's policy doesn't require apps to be reviewed. You can't argue that Microsoft doesn't apply rules to apps sold on their own gaming consoles.
Yeah I like your distinction there between an app and content... /s

If Microsoft was trying to make xCloud work like Apple Arcade, then yes, they would be considered apps in the sense that you have to have them installed locally on your device and they run code locally on your device. xCloud is a streaming service pure and simple. To categorize each game you stream as an “app” just to fit the restrictions Apple has placed for “reader” apps is completely ridiculous and is the issue here. That’s the policy being argued here. Apps like Netflix and YouTube stream content from their servers and users interact with the content by the controls given to them within the app, which goes through the review process. I don’t understand how you and Apple think xCloud is any different. It’s accepting user input with the controls and functions within the app which goes through the review process and streaming the video. If they are going to apply the rules consistently across the board, then “reader” apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and every other streaming service should be taken down.

But hey, let’s go with your distinction of a game being an app. VNC allows me to remote into my computer from wherever I’m at. I can launch a game there or any kind of app I have on my computer without any scrutiny from Apple. What’s the difference with xCloud? It’s specifically geared towards video games. What did Apple come out with recently and probably had in the works when the policy was put in place? A game subscription service. Bad look.

And again, we might be missing something here. Maybe Microsoft is actually storing bits of code from the game locally like save data or game state, but we don’t know for sure. If that were the case, then yes, I would change my opinion on this issue in an instant. My whole point with this whole conversation has been the optics are not good for Apple when it seems that they are applying the rules differently in certain situations and this is the kind of thing they should look into during an anti-trust case, not commission rates for a service they provide.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.