Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
So if next years models are going to adopt the same thing, then that can only point to one thing. iPhone X Plus.

rovolo

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2014
Since I am one of the (surprisingly many) lucky ones who will receive their well deserved X on Nov 3, I'm pondering on some of the more serious questions about next year's product line-up: how will they resolve this year's naming/branding mess? What will be the follow-up on an 8-line and a iPhone 10 launched at the same time? Will it be two 8-esses and an iPhone Xi plus a Xi Plus?
Just kidding. They will do what they always do: whatever they want.
[doublepost=1509310516][/doublepost]
Since I am one of the (surprisingly many) lucky ones who will receive their well deserved X on Nov 3, I'm pondering on some of the more serious questions about next year's product line-up: how will they resolve this year's naming/branding mess? What will be the follow-up on an 8-line and a iPhone 10 launched at the same time? Will it be two 8-esses and an iPhone Xi plus a Xi Plus?
Just kidding. They will do what they always do: whatever they want.
Addendum: Why? Because they can.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I'd agree with that, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people waited till they could see it in person before buying it. I, too, was stunned to see that on Friday evening you could still order an X in both colors at Best Buy and get it on the 15th. I'd been skeptical of the supply rumors for a while now, but seeing good stock at multiple carriers and retailers 12+ hours after launch is what really proved to me that Kuo got things wrong about iPhone X supply issues.

While I will always prefer seeing in-person before handing over my money, I was going to upgrade from my launch day 6, anyway. The only question for me was Silver or the flavor Iaways choose, Space Gray (since they went ahead and made the storage decision for me).

I honestly thought I’d have enough time to go see them in-person and switch my finish, if so desired. #nocomplaints

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Samsung are the first A+ winners of Displaymate OLED technology. Note 8 has brightest Nits ever. Widest ever Adobe, HDR Premium and better than 4k home tv colour gamuts. They are the masters of mobile OLED displays by a long chalk. iPhone X will benefit from this knowledge.

Look at the frankly awful Pixel 2 and V30 LG displays.

And to think Apple want to go to LG for their next OLED displays. Must love colour banding, grain and screen burn if they want that in the next iPhone :p
Pixel 2 is fine, I own one and it has a great display, also made by Samsung. I think / hope you mean the XL version.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
you have absolutely no way of knowing if the 2-3 million number is right or wrong.

there is no logic or historical data being used by you in proving that number wrong.. you are making things up.

Is Kuo not? How do we trust his 2-3 million? For a device with such poor supply , holding at 5-6 weeks makes no sense. Given that number was hit in hours, one would have expected a lot of orders over the weekend, numbers don't add up.

Has there been any reports of anyone hang to wait till 2018? Nope.

I have to admit I got one easy this time round . Easiest preorder to date, I even had to remove 2 laptops and accessories I had in my bag, and still got 3rd.... in the past, having to play around with my shopping bag would have meant missing launch date.

Dunno. Let's see

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
Lol wait, so now Kuo is saying supply is stable? Last week he was saying it was still going to be horrible and delays would cause people to have to wait till 2018 to get their iPhone X. Now he's saying supply is stable. All he's doing now is backtracking and acting like he was right all along. Such BS.

pretty much. I wonder if apple know who this guy is or apple has gotten to him to backtrack the negative fud press. What if Kuo was an apple executive this whole time. surely an insider, leaker or whatever he is, cannot keep this sherade up for so many years!

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Has there been any reports of anyone hang to wait till 2018? Nope.
again--
he never said preorder people will be waiting until 2018 to get their phones.. in fact, he never said anything about how long pre-orders would take to ship.

he said supply will not meet demand until 2018.

just so we're clear-- do you understand what it means for demand to outpace supply? or what happens when the demand and supply stabilize?

J.Dillinger

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
Yep Apple are going to upset a lot of people because more than likely Apple will release the XI in September and the guys on Apples upgrade programme will have to wait until November unless they sell their phones and pay the contract off.

Or just pay the one month they’re deficient and upgrade.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity

just so we're clear-- do you understand what it means for demand to outpace supply? or what happens when the demand and supply stabilize?

but for an example--

iPhone 6 basically reached stabilization in dec2014:

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/12/03/iphone-6-6-plus-shipping-times-improve/
approximately 3 months after the phone was released you were able to walk into a store and buy the phone and walk out with it..

now-- just apply that to the late release of iPhone X in November and it puts stabilization around february2018

------
like-- Kuo didn't make any remarkable predictions or anything out of the ordinary compared to past launches... any semi-keen enthusiast could make the same exact prediction just based off past event..

the problem is, every year, these types of reports get misconstrued and sensationalized by a lot of readers here.

we should really just ignore these types of analyst rumors. (imo)

iamaydo

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2017
Just last week he was saying supply was going to be extremely tight with only 2-3 million available at launch. That was flat out wrong. On the 17th there was a report that suppliers had said production would be able to meet 2017 demand. Two days later Kuo says the opposite and that many people won't receive their phones till 2018. Again, that was wrong. The majority of people who preorder are getting their phone in November, with later orders going out in December.

How do you guys seem to think he was right at all? There were literally dozens of reports that he put out since the summer stating that iPhone X supply would be the worst it's ever been when in reality it was no worse than past iPhone launches. He overstated the supply issues significantly.
[doublepost=1509296891][/doublepost]

So you're not denying that he said that, but then you still believe him? Come on man, he was wrong. There weren't only 2-3 million available at launch and supply was not constrained well into 2018. Not even related to supply issues, but he was wrong about other iPhone X rumors as well. Remember earlier this summer when he claimed that Apple was still deciding on whether to use a fingerprint sensor vs. facial recognition in the X? That was completely false and yet people still believed it.

Just like any other analyst he gets things wrong. This isn't the first time either, so I don't know why people are choosing to defend him. He's gotten many, many things wrong before and this is just another one them.

Your point would be valid if we had all the information about availability numbers, which we really don’t.

I think the shipping estimates are a reliable indicator at this time because the phone hasn’t launched and I think most people are holding off on ordering online with a December ship date hoping to get one in-store on November 3rd. In my opinion that’s a sizeable population that are betting on getting one on launch day rather than waiting weeks to have it shipped.

A real possibility is, people show up Nov 3, and don’t get a phone, go home and order one, causing shipping times to skyrocket.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
A real possibility is, people show up Nov 3, and don’t get a phone, go home and order one, causing shipping times to skyrocket.

just guessing but i think it's going to get worse before it gets better..

pre-order & launch day sales are one thing..

Christmas sales are another thing altogether..

---------
in other words, do yourself (or your gift_ee) a favor.. if you foresee yourself wanting to gift an X for xmas, order the phone soon.

iamaydo

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2017
just guessing but i think it's going to get worse before it gets better..

pre-order & launch day sales are one thing..

Christmas sales are another thing altogether..

---------
in other words, do yourself (or your gift_ee) a favor.. if you foresee yourself wanting to gift an X for xmas, order the phone soon.
Exactly! Which could prove his analysis was correct. If customers are waiting 5-6 weeks now (which is mid-December), holding off on ordering online hoping to get one on launch day in-store and don’t. They could possibly go home and order one online, which would cause shipping numbers to slip further, which is further exacerbated by Christmas/holiday sales.

It’s perfectly feasible to see shipping estimates and availability depressed even more than they are now, well into first quarter of 2018.

Everyone criticizing this guy with zero evidence might want to start swallowing their words. He might just be spot on.

macbeta

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Lol wait, so now Kuo is saying supply is stable? Last week he was saying it was still going to be horrible and delays would cause people to have to wait till 2018 to get their iPhone X. Now he's saying supply is stable. All he's doing now is backtracking and acting like he was right all along. Such BS.

Totally, but did an amazing job of increasing demand - no way people could ask $20,000 without his help

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPho...Gray-Unlocked-Smartphone-/272903580444?_ul=AU

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
It's just mind blowing how this guy pulls projections out of thin air. He's speculating on something that is unknowable at this point, even to Apple's senior executives.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apple better leave it be.... They don't wanna "upset" something that as been solved,

Don't fiddle with the darn thing.

It's just mind blowing how this guy pulls projections out of thin air. He's speculating on something that is unknowable at this point, even to Apple's senior executives.

It may be BS but it's been accurate BS

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
It's actually good if it's true that next year's models will use the same components because that implies the first gen 2017 phones will operate the same way and get the same software fixes. FaceID is way too important for Apple to not give it absolute top priority if in fact there are any issues with it.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
again--
he never said preorder people will be waiting until 2018 to get their phones.. in fact, he never said anything about how long pre-orders would take to ship.

Relax bud....

Look. It's November 2017...... it's the most popular device in the world.... the pope will be catholic in 2018 and iPhone supply will be constrained .... again it's November .....

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Pixel 2 is fine, I own one and it has a great display, also made by Samsung. I think / hope you mean the XL version.
840, how's the screen? you got regular 2? or 2 xl? I think pixel 2 is from htc.
[doublepost=1509320467][/doublepost]
Have fun with your $1000 phones guinea pigs.
:( I'm so depressed now.....

I'm going to have to bump this track to uplift me till i decide if i wanna keep it or return it.
...I'm SOOOOOO guinea pig.....lab rat actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.