Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
No I’m afraid in my testing the w1 chip is far superior to anything on the market, relating wireless headphones remaining paired to each other, exceptional Bluetooth and microphone clarity.

Like I said it depends on what your priority is for wireless earbuds. If you're priority is easier pairing and microphone quality then ya I guess they are your best option. I very rarely talk on the phone and I only usually pair to my iphone so to me I'd rather have better sound, sound isolation and noise cancelling. I've honestly never had bluetooth connectivity with any bluetooth devices recently but I guess for those who have I guess AirPods good to eliminate the issue? I actually find I get interference when opening and closing apps sometimes with AirPods 2. Never noticed that with my old Beats X.

Airpods are great. Good value for the money, pretty comfortable to wear, I own them, use them and overall like them but far from perfect for what I prioritize. I like them for running and just messing around but don't like them for my daily train commute because of the open design.

If the Sennheiser Momentums wireless buds where in the same price range I would have gotten those instead for my preferences. I think what Apple has done with the wireless powerbeats pros is great to address users looking for better sound (hopefully) and sealed sound though they look a little bulky and probably too expensive for how long the batteries will last for my liking but still good to have both options.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Another question to ask is, were the review units final production units? Or "samples"?

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Another question to ask is, were the review units final production units? Or "samples"?

Given that they went on sale April 15 and can be purchased in store April 26, they are likely production units.

In any case, if you are sending a product to the media to review wouldn't you send something that has been thoroughly tested and even better than what the public might receive?

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Hmm if this was a marketing stunt by Samsung and the devices that go to the consumers are actually perfect ....I wouldn't be surprised...this did give Samsung tech headlines for the past 2 days........even made national and international news.

Some people still didn't know this device existed...now most know. I project that this device will be sold out for most of this year but I still need to see the improvements I suggested.

We are missing a key point....this device is released on April 26th and nothing but this device has changed the landscape of phones in the past 8 years making everyone here at least interested in this new technology even if we aren't sold on it yet. Hence this thread is the most interesting one on the forum until further notice.

Reactions: PC_tech

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Given that they went on sale April 15 and can be purchased in store April 26, they are likely production units.

In any case, if you are sending a product to the media to review wouldn't you send something that has been thoroughly tested and even better than what the public might receive?

But they won't be shipped from carriers until the 24th, from Samsung May 1st. Considering Samsung allowed people to customize colors build to order (hence the May 1st date), the review units could be earlier samples. Many reviewers who get units from various phone manufacturers often have beta software on them.

I'm not saying its the case, but that one phone looked kind of beat up, like it was passed around to others previously. These review samples may not be "mint".
[doublepost=1555621197][/doublepost]
Hmm if this was a marketing stunt by Samsung and the devices that go to the consumers are actually perfect ....I wouldn't be surprised...this did give Samsung tech headlines for the past 2 days........even made national and international news.

These are not the headlines Samsung wants. The old saying is wrong: there IS such a thing as bad publicity.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Things Samsung should do:

1. Cancel the April 26th release of the Fold and cancel all preorders
2. Apologize to the consumers and tech reviewers
3. Redesign the Fold (it's ugly) and rebrand it with another name; enhance the durability/waterproof it/add s-pen
4. Release the newly redesigned and renamed Foldable device next year
5. Give everyone who preordered a gift certificate for the value of galaxy buds
6. The flagship devices are the S10 and future Note 10...keep things the same for now
Logically, that would be the best way forward if there is a durability issue. It would look bad but not nearly as bad (and costly) as releasing a ton of faulty units to consumers and being forced to recall all of them. However, I find it hard to believe that this critical issue wasn’t caught during the extensive testing I presume Samsung and any other prudent company would do, especially on technology that’s bleeding edge. Samsung must’ve been confident in releasing the Fold so I wonder if it’s a manufacturing defect present in a bunch of units and not so much a fatal design flaw in the hardware. Anyway, it still makes a lot of sense to pass the first and maybe even second generations of this thing (or wait for Apple to release their version if they decide to).

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Logically, that would be the best way forward if there is a durability issue. It would look bad but not nearly as bad (and costly) as releasing a ton of faulty units to consumers and being forced to recall all of them. However, I find it hard to believe that this critical issue wasn’t caught during the extensive testing I presume Samsung and any other prudent company would do, especially on technology that’s bleeding edge. Samsung must’ve been confident in releasing the Fold so I wonder if it’s a manufacturing defect present in a bunch of units and not so much a fatal design flaw in the hardware. Anyway, it still makes a lot of sense to pass the first and maybe even second generations of this thing (or wait for Apple to release their version if they decide to).

I believe the 3rd generation would be the way to go with this new category......

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Did anyone really think this wouldn’t happen with a folding screen?

Eventually- and I have no idea how long that is - it will be possible to fold/unfold a screen. It is already technically possible to roll and unroll a large tv screen, and at least one company says theirs will soon be available.- LG ROLL Up SCREEN. So it's not impossible just technically difficult right now.

The cost is going to be high for a foldable phone, and it probably produces a very big phone or an average to small Pad computer, depending on if it is folded (phone) or unfolded (iPad). Even if the screen is durable, I don't know that they will sell a lot. They are very expensive, and likely to remain so, and every 2 or 3 years processor or graphic power improvements make the fold-a-phone less powerful compared to even middle of the road newer non folding products. There may be a market for a $2000.00 plus phone, but that market is smaller than the current $1100 to $1400 phones that the top phone makers sell now. And they haven't done that well. Now imagine trying to sell an upgraded version every year. Phones in general have gotten too expensive for a lot of people, and this will shrink the premium phone market even more.

Unless some breakthrough brings costs way down.

Reactions: decafjava

ariyaadnan921216

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2019
So that you can then have a digital bezel

iphone-keyboard.jpg
Xiaomi MI A2

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
In theory, a folding screen lets you have a large screen that can fit in your pocket. (It makes it more portable, although it's spring going on summer, so the usefullness of something that can't fit in jeans or shorts pockets is, at the moment, somewhat limited. ) But if actually doing this results in a scratched up, mutilated screen, the product extends no more real freedom to the actual user, and isn't worth the premium.
[doublepost=1555624126][/doublepost]
The final production units have warnings against peeling off the protective layer. As "engineering samples," these did not ;)

Reactions: Darth Tulhu

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
India
Samsung has multiple designs a year. Hard to imagine I know. My favourite is the infinity-O, much better screen than Apple has ever made.
[doublepost=1555540666][/doublepost]

Samsung software wins awards for security, Tim's software wins awards for emoji.
Wtf are you talking about ? Insecure much? Even Animoji looks much better than Samsung creepy moji

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I kinda felt like this was coming. I think the tech will get there... but this was definitely not a place where I felt like being an early adopter would be worth it.

I wonder what the failure percentages are looking like though. I mean, the people with issues are an order of magnitude more vocal than the people quietly pleased with something.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The final production units have warnings against peeling off the protective layer. As "engineering samples," these did not ;)

The protective layer looks like it will eventually come off on its own after a while of normal everyday usage anyways. A simple warning label isn’t going to change anything.

The label ought to serve as a giant warning sign to everyone not to buy the galaxy fold device, not a “get out of jail free” card for Samsung.

Either way, I will be watching their product launch next week. Samsung is evidently confident enough in their folding phone to still go ahead with sales (as of the moment of this writing), so we shall see, I guess.

Reactions: jerwin

raghu8912

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
San Jose

Some people still didn't know this device existed...now most know. I project that this device will be sold out for most of this year but I still need to see the improvements I suggested.

We are missing a key point....this device is released on April 26th and nothing but this device has changed the landscape of phones in the past 8 years making everyone here at least interested in this new technology even if we aren't sold on it yet. Hence this thread is the most interesting one on the forum until further notice.
True, but they are getting negative publicity, which is not good.
[doublepost=1555647646][/doublepost]
Wtf are you talking about ? Insecure much? Even Animoji looks much better than Samsung creepy moji
Samsung uses Android, why would Samsung get awards for security ? by not providing android software updates for the phones I purchased last year ?
[doublepost=1555647816][/doublepost]
He's got his apple sheep glasses on... No display comes close to samsung and its likely never changing.

Apple do a great job surg their screens but still not as good as Samsung displays
No display comes close to samsung and its likely never changing.
It depends, for color accuracy, iPhone is better, because Apple does calibrate every iPhone, Samsung prefers brighter colors, its just preference.
Also there is lot more to picture quality than just display, drivers, hardware driving the display.
Apple cant just replace Samsung Display with LG display, its not dry in replacement, because they will have to update the drivers its.

Reactions: decafjava

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
In theory, a folding screen lets you have a large screen that can fit in your pocket. (It makes it more portable, although it's spring going on summer, so the usefullness of something that can't fit in jeans or shorts pockets is, at the moment, somewhat limited. ) But if actually doing this results in a scratched up, mutilated screen, the product extends no more real freedom to the actual user, and isn't worth the premium.
[doublepost=1555624126][/doublepost]

A decent product would have a protective layer the consumer wouldn’t know existed, so there would be no need for a warning.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Do you have a vested interest in Samsung's reputation?

From the Verge:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/17/...roken-screen-debris-dust-hinge-flexible-bulge

Samsung's folding screen is only useful until it breaks. If it's likely to break in normal use, then it is not useful.

I don't have a stake and never will, never have. full disclosure. I simply pointed out something critical that so many here and across twitter/net jumped on a bandwagon when morons who should know better about cellphone packaging and care should've done before pointing the finger at Samsung in the first place before looking at the cause being themselves as the root of the issue. Plain and simple.

Any phone with moving parts will fail, be it the Galaxy Fold or the soon to be released Falcon Wing device with over 115 moving components within its hinge that'll compete with the Fold. I've not sided with either just pointing out the error of these reviewers.
[doublepost=1555653075][/doublepost]
Errr. Do the plastic wraps not usually come with an easily identifiable tab that shouts, "pull here"?

EXACTLY my point. They did this already. THEN afterwards tried to peel off a part of the screen from the very edge of the device that did not have a pull-tab. Hence DUH reviewers fault. not Samsungs (in terms of Mark G and MKBHD), the other 2 early reviewers had other screen issues that Samsung will need to review and address.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

Without knowing what actually happened, we can only guess.
Samsung definitely tested the devices, but then they tested stuff at clean room condition most likely. If that’s the case, then they probably won’t really know what will happen in real life when there are dust, lint, sand, and other micro particles interacting with the device. The film excuse was obviously just a red herring. The screen is plastic instead of glass (glass cannot bend), thus the film is basically a screen protector since we know plastic scratches easily. There is probably an underlying issue that Samsung couldn’t know until the units are in people’s hands.

Then again, maybe Samsung did know the problem, but decided to just ignore it since that might delay the launch date, and delaying the launch can cost a fortune for Samsung.

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
This is the end of Galaxy fold 1st gen. I hope they keep improving it though. By the time we reach the 5th gen, it might be good enough.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
True, but they are getting negative publicity, which is not good.
[doublepost=1555647646][/doublepost]
Samsung uses Android, why would Samsung get awards for security ? by not providing android software updates for the phones I purchased last year ?
[doublepost=1555647816][/doublepost]
No display comes close to samsung and its likely never changing.
It depends, for color accuracy, iPhone is better, because Apple does calibrate every iPhone, Samsung prefers brighter colors, its just preference.
Also there is lot more to picture quality than just display, drivers, hardware driving the display.
Apple cant just replace Samsung Display with LG display, its not dry in replacement, because they will have to update the drivers its.
Well android phones get OS software updates for 2 years and monthly security updates for 3 years. So I don’t think it’s accurate to say they get no updates after a year. Are updates better on iOS? Yes. But updates are not non existent on android.

Reactions: PC_tech
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.