Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ice29

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2016
Switzerland
Anyone else noticed a bit higher CPU load with Apple Music on Monterey? Just installed the latest 12.0.1 public beta (was on Big Sur before), but Music consumes at least 5% of the CPU all the time and my M1 Air gets a bit warmer than before (just listening to the music)

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
The audacity to have an event which focuses on Music and the Mac and to not address the elephant in the room that is Music on the Mac was quite something

remember that time they promised a revolutionary Music announcement and didnt even mention it during the event?

apple-music-change-forever.jpg

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Does upgrading remove any album art that has been manually embed into songs.
I spent a lot of time updating album art when the “music” app became a thing.

don’t want to do it again.

jkelol111

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2021
Have you noticed any issues with prior embedded album art.
Some Apple Music songs in my library lost their album art by random, I had to re-add them for the album art to show up again. Not sure if that's an issue with local songs.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Some Apple Music songs in my library lost their album art by random, I had to re-add them for the album art to show up again. Not sure if that's an issue with local songs.
Ah ok. I don’t use Apple Music. So hopefully it’s just the steaming songs.

you can change album art of streamed songs tho?

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Looks like the Music App no longer pulls tracks added to the "Automatically Add to Music" folder? I just installed macOS 12.0.1 from macOS 11.6.1 and this is the first issue I've seen I'm not able to get beyond.

:::EDIT:::
I'm still able to use the Import option to add tracks that way, I'm just used to dumping tracks into the Smart Folder and the Music App doing the rest.

Last edited:

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Looks like the Music App no longer pulls tracks added to the "Automatically Add to Music" folder? I just installed macOS 12.0.1 from macOS 11.6.1 and this is the first issue I've seen I'm not able to get beyond.

:::EDIT:::
I'm still able to use the Import option to add tracks that way, I'm just used to dumping tracks into the Smart Folder and the Music App doing the rest.
I don’t understand. Do you mean downloaded songs that you add to library?

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I don’t understand. Do you mean downloaded songs that you add to library?
Yes. I get a lot of music from BandCamp and add a lot of my own music I’ve created with my friend and our band. I would just add any of those tracks to the “Automatically Add to Music” folder, and then the Music app would watch that folder and move any items into your Library. This has been a regular feature of the Music app and iTunes for many years.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Yes. I get a lot of music from BandCamp and add a lot of my own music I’ve created with my friend and our band. I would just add any of those tracks to the “Automatically Add to Music” folder, and then the Music app would watch that folder and move any items into your Library. This has been a regular feature of the Music app and iTunes for many years.
So if you drag music into music player it doesn’t add it? For me anytime I play an mp3 it just automatically adds to my library.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
So if you drag music into music player it doesn’t add it? For me anytime I play an mp3 it just automatically adds to my library.
Yes, that works, too. I've just been used to having this built in Smart Folder functionality for many years. I haven't really tried any troubleshooting, yet, other than a reboot. I intend on reinstalling macOS 12.0.1 again when it's official, too. I've found plenty of other odd behaviors throughout the OS, so who knows.

ignaciobarrena

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2016
Hello everyone, I plan on doing a clean install of Monterey next week so I would like to transfer my whole Music/iTunes Library. I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm a bit confused on how should I do it, because since the transition the "Music" app from iTunes, this is how my music folders look:

1634718216070.png
Captura de pantalla 2021-10-20 a las 10.22.16.png

Captura de pantalla 2021-10-20 a las 10.22.25.png

Should I copy both folders upon clean install? or is there a better way to transfer the music library seamlessly?

thanks in advance!

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Hello everyone, I plan on doing a clean install of Monterey next week so I would like to transfer my whole Music/iTunes Library. I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm a bit confused on how should I do it, because since the transition the "Music" app from iTunes, this is how my music folders look:

View attachment 1872144 View attachment 1872145
View attachment 1872146

Should I copy both folders upon clean install? or is there a better way to transfer the music library seamlessly?

thanks in advance!
Well, for me, I just kept everything in place and updated. All of my old iTunes Folders are now Music.app folders. Haven't had any issues from having an old iTunes Library migrated over. I'd suggest keeping a backup of all of that, though.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008

View attachment 1872144 View attachment 1872145
View attachment 1872146

thanks in advance!
Don’t you already have Big Sur? So you would already have the “music app”.

Does Monterey change anything.

funkypepper

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Don’t you already have Big Sur? So you would already have the “music app”.

Does Monterey change anything.
I have the same issue. I have Big Sur installed, but all my music is still under iTunes Media.

I'd also like to know how to move everything safely to its proper location.

Reactions: michael31986

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
I have the same issue. I have Big Sur installed, but all my music is still under iTunes Media.

I'd also like to know how to move everything safely to its proper location.

just go into preferences and make a new folder and copy all media to new folder?

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I have a question for those who have been on the RC, is it stable enough at this point? Or we should better wait until macOS 12.1? I don't care staying at 11.6.1 for a couple of months, or even more.

Thank you.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I have a question for those who have been on the RC, is it stable enough at this point? Or we should better wait until macOS 12.1? I don't care staying at 11.6.1 for a couple of months, or even more.

Thank you.
Is Music stable or the OS itself? Music is stable enough, but both RC1 and RC2 caused overnight kernel panics on my 2020 iMac, which has never happened during any beta.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Is Music stable or the OS itself? Music is stable enough, but both RC1 and RC2 caused overnight kernel panics on my 2020 iMac, which has never happened during any beta.
Excuse me, Erik, provided that this was a sticky thread, I misread the thread title and thought it was a macOS 12 bugs, issues and troubleshooting. My mistake.

However, if Music is causing problems, that might answer my question. I’ll wait to see if Music (or any other app or service) is still causing issues and, according to that, will make a decision.

Thank you.

LakeZone

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2016
Spatial Audio isn't working for me with Apple Music whilst using my AirPod Pros. The option is greyed out and it says 'Not Available'. Anyone else facing this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.