Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Smultie

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
The Netherlands
When moving files to my 'Automatically Add to Music' they get imported multiple times into my library.
Also they don't get deleted from the 'Automatically Add to Music'-folder.

My previous install was Catalina, where all worked fine. Any changes related to Big Sur/Monterey, or.... ?

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
When moving files to my 'Automatically Add to Music' they get imported multiple times into my library.
Also they don't get deleted from the 'Automatically Add to Music'-folder.

My previous install was Catalina, where all worked fine. Any changes related to Big Sur/Monterey, or.... ?
This is the first I'm seeing from someone else having this issue, as I am also. I had no problems with this on Big Sur all the way up thru macOS 11.6.1 RC (multiple RC's actually). I had no issues on macOS 12 and then the first macOS 12.0.1 RC. Issues for me started on the current macOS 12.0.1 build 21A559.

Anything I add to the 'Automatically Add to Music' folder just stays there and does nothing. I've been having to use the Import option from the menu which, FWIW, imports multiple albums and lists them in proper order. As opposed to just a mix of songs imported shown in song/list view. So, that's cool I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smultie

Smultie

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
The Netherlands
This is the first I'm seeing from someone else having this issue, as I am also. I had no problems with this on Big Sur all the way up thru macOS 11.6.1 RC (multiple RC's actually). I had no issues on macOS 12 and then the first macOS 12.0.1 RC. Issues for me started on the current macOS 12.0.1 build 21A559.

Anything I add to the 'Automatically Add to Music' folder just stays there and does nothing. I've ben having to use the Import option from the menu. Which, FWIW, imports multiple albums and lists them in proper order. As opposed to just a mix of songs imported shown in song/list view. So, that's cool I guess.

You're right. That does work. However it won't delete the folder from the location you're importing from, right?
It'll do for now, but I really preferred the way of working from before.

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
You're right. That does work. However it won't delete the folder from the location you're importing from, right?
It'll do for now, but I really preferred the way of working from before.
Correct. That's why I liked Add to Music folder, just dump stuff there and it'd just move everything to it's place.

Smultie

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
The Netherlands
Is there anyplace we can report this to Apple?
Somehow I'm glad it's apparently linked to build 21A559, since I'm running unsupported hardware (OpenCore) and was afraid it might've been related to that fact.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Is there anyplace we can report this to Apple?
Somehow I'm glad it's apparently linked to build 21A559, since I'm running unsupported hardware (OpenCore) and was afraid it might've been related to that fact.
applefeedback:// should open the Feedback App

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Yes, that works, too. I've just been used to having this built in Smart Folder functionality for many years. I haven't really tried any troubleshooting, yet, other than a reboot. I intend on reinstalling macOS 12.0.1 again when it's official, too. I've found plenty of other odd behaviors throughout the OS, so who knows.
Can you try to drag a file into the music app? Does it automatically add it to the library and the folder?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
just go into preferences and make a new folder and copy all media to new folder?
Why would we have to love the music files?

Big Sur already had music” app Apple usually sets everything up for you when you upgrade software. You shouldn’t have to move folders.

I’m a bit confused as to why anyone is moving folders

lowlowculture

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2019
los angeles

Anything I add to the 'Automatically Add to Music' folder just stays there and does nothing. I've been having to use the Import option from the menu which, FWIW, imports multiple albums and lists them in proper order. As opposed to just a mix of songs imported shown in song/list view. So, that's cool I guess.
Same exact issue here! I've even tried rebuilding a watched folder in Automator to emulate the older behavior, and that doesn't work either. I then tried a completely non-automated and unappealing Shortcuts prompt, and that is the only thing that comes close to occasionally working, though it's vastly less elegant than the old "files in this folder are imported then removed from the watched folder" approach.

grumble.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Same exact issue here! I've even tried rebuilding a watched folder in Automator to emulate the older behavior, and that doesn't work either. I then tried a completely non-automated and unappealing Shortcuts prompt, and that is the only thing that comes close to occasionally working, though it's vastly less elegant than the old "files in this folder are imported then removed from the watched folder" approach.

grumble.
I think there’s an Automator issue. I’ve got a few other Smart Folders setup where if I add image files to a specific folder it’ll add them to my Photos Library to a corresponding folder. Those Smart Folder actions haven’t been working 100% either.

Kohji Matsubayashi

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
Same here - "Automatically Add to Music" not working properly; scrolling/selecting weird, and many more. These happend just after the Monterey upgrade.

AJTC

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
In Songs view if I'm not doing anything the app will just decide to scroll itself down the list. Seems to end up in a different place every time depending on what song I have selected.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Can someone confirm if dragging new music into the music app still adds it to the folder snd “library”

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Can someone confirm if dragging new music into the music app still adds it to the folder snd “library”
I keep my Music Library on an external drive and am away from my desk for an extended period of time or I would test it. I'm curious, too. If I can just drag tracks onto the app and have those tracks just copy over to my external drive, adding them to my library, that'd be great.

Reactions: michael31986

ChildOfTheWW

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2014
Its extremely hard for me to read the Star Ratings, am i the only one?

Bis Sur:
big sur.png

Monterey:

monterey.jpeg

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
It's a bit strange how Apple doesn't devote any time to their macOS Music app. Even if they don't care about their old iTunes customers who build their library by importing and buying music, the music app is still the way that all the Apple Music subscribers get access to their music so having a stable music app should be in their interest.
You have to wonder how much they care about the MacOS Music app when they don't even include it in their feedback section for Mac apps. ?

Attachments

• Feedback List.png
    Feedback List.png
    840.5 KB · Views: 74

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Anyone else have this problem: whenever I quit Music and reopen the app the sidebar closes all of my folders (I keep my playlists in different themed folders). Also, the sidebar shrinks down to half the size, so playlist names are completely cut off. Started happening in Big Sur, but was hoping they'd fix it with Monterey. Nope.

Which brings up a similar thing happening. When I "auto size all columns" in song view the ends of the longer songs get cut off (see attachement). This started happening in Big Sur when they introduced the 3 little dots after the song names. You can't get rid of the 3 dots, but at least stop them from blocking song titles!

Devo Playlist.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.