Mustang or Camaro?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Levent, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Levent macrumors newbie

Which do you prefer? And why?
    And if you had to chose between the V6 Camaro vs the V8 Mustang, would that change your mind?
    (New 2012 models for both)

Ive been wanting to get a Camaro for a long time. No I can't afford the V8 Camaro. However, Ford has a $3k rebate for Mustang GTs, so Ive been thinking whether I should just get a V8 Mustang for basically the same price as I'll pay for the V6 Camaro.

It really boils down to style & sexiness of the Camaro vs the power & sound of the V8 in a boring mustang (yes they're boring, theres so many of them on the road).

Your opinions are much appreciated!

2. ucfgrad93, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Camaro. I have loved the new design ever since I saw Bumblebee with it in Transformers.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Camaro.

The looks sell me alone on it. And I don't have to spend money to have it be a decent handler while the Mustang you do( mind you getting the track pack with the Mustang does make it out handle the Camaro with the exception of the new ZL1 and GM has released the FE4 suspension to compete against the track pack Mustang's which hasn't been tested yet).

4. Levent thread starter macrumors newbie

Im basically feeling the same way.
    Im not even gonna be street racing in this thing, let alone drag and etc...
    It'll be a daily driver, but I want something fun.

If I wanted real performance I'd get a Mustang, and probably a Boss or Shelby at that.
    The reasons I don't want a Mustang are
    (1) not as exciting exterior
    (2) interior so poorly designed you'd think microsoft did it
    (3) everybody and their cousin have one so its not that special.
    The reasons I don't want to buy the Camaro
    (1) why pay retail for this car when I can get a V8 mustang for the same price
    (2) and have 100 more hp and sick exhaust sound (w/ muffler delete)

5. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Why not a decent car, say an Audi or Mercedes Benz?

6. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Between those two, I would take the Mustang. It's less bloated.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Because he doesn't care for them?

I say camaro

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This.... I am not a fan of the new Camero at all and this is coming from a Chevy guy!

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what! the lines on the camaro are awesome. The mustang is like driving a boat

10. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I'm not a domestic guy, but I'd have to go for the Mustang.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

LOL.... to me it feels like a boat when I sit it in. Reminds me, not as big, but reminds me of the new Dodge Challengar.

12. quagmire, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Maybe because the Mustang and Camaro are a decent car, but actually are different type of cars than an Audi or Mercedes? Maybe he doesn't want the maintenance costs of a German car? Or maybe he doesn't want to be associated with a group of people that have a bad attitude toward other type of vehicles that don't have an Audi, Mercedes, or BMW badge. :rolleyes:

As alluded to already if you want bloated, take a look at the Challenger. ;)

But, yeah the Camaro is a bit overweight at 3800 lb. But, if the new Cadillac ATS is a sign of what the 6th gen might weigh, I am hopeful that it will lose a few pounds. :)

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The Mustang will be too, when you add a couple of hundred weight to the trunk, to get the back-end to behave.

The new Camero is the ****s, IMO. I see them all the time, being driving with dealer plates from the GM plant, to get their premium sounds system installed at the specialty shop

I liked the Tomato red one at first, but now the Canary yellow is my fav.

14. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Only Europeans can make good cars. I thought you already knew that. :D

I personally prefer the Mustang. The Camaro is a bit bloated and expensive to me. My biggest gripe with it is the ergonomics. Everything feels cramped to me, and the outward vision is terrible. I realize it will ever be as roomy as a luxury 4 door sedan or something, but the Camaro just seems even more claustrophobic than the Mustang.

15. jacksoncmc835 macrumors member

16. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Without a doubt the Mustang. I've had much better luck with Ford products than GM.

17. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Camaro, although I'd rather have a 2012 Challenger.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Challenger looks better then either camaro or mustang in my view. Camaro's dash looks gimmicky as heck, mustang looks have grown old and are everywhere.

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Of the Mustang and Camaro, I would go for the Dodge Challenger, in my opinion. I am actually considering the three if I have to buy a car in the next year.

The Challenger has the best exterior but I'm not a fan of the interior design. The Mustang has the best performance to price ratio. I like the interior. But the exterior is old and boring and way too common on the streets. The Camaro has a better looking interior than the Challenger. Though, the seats are not as comfortable and the lack of GPS in favor of On-Star navigation is a huge negative of the Camaro.

So, for Exterior looks: 1st Challenger, 2nd Camaro
    Interior looks: 1st Mustang, 2nd Challenger
    Interior features: 1st Mustang, 2nd Challenger
    Performance to price: 1st Mustang, 2nd Camaro
    Interior comfort: 1st Challenger, 2nd Mustang

If the Mustang wasn't so common on the road and looked "dated," I would pick it. Since exterior looks weigh higher for me, I give the win to the Challenger.

20. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

The Mustang sounds better, but the Camaro looks better IMHO. For me, that counts. So, I'd go for the Chevy, and have been trying myself to work out how to make it physically possible to put one in my garage. It isn't. :p

Really love the white with deep tint on the windows and black wheels.

[​IMG]

21. Levent thread starter macrumors newbie

This is basically what I'm wondering.

I'll try to test drive a V6 again tonight or this weekend and see if it satisfies. Truthfully, at 326hp, it has as much power as a 2010 V8 Mustang (before they brought back the 5.0 engine).

To answer some of the comments:
    -Yeah its a little heavier than the mustang, not *that* important tho. If anything, its still better than Ford's pre historic suspension.
    -Visibility does suck. But I love that about it.
    -Both my parents drive audis. Im not getting a german because I know I'll probably end up in one later in life anyway

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

pretentious much? lol

23. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

vote challenger, but since it is not on the list, Camaro for the looks alone.

Like you said, your not going to be racing it so why get the V8 and worse gas mileage?