Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
PDAnet

Only reason I have my iPhone JB.

I'll risk paying 199 for a new phone for the all the random reasons "something might go wrong" vs paying ATT 60 a month for yet another "unlimited" data plan for when I want to tether it to my laptop.

Just wanted to point out, that you can't pay $199 for a new phone. You have to pay FULL price. I know this because I dropped my iphone 3g face down on pavement. The screen cracked and looked like a spiderweb. Funny enough it was still perfectly usable, just scraped the fingers a bit. I took it into Apple, they told me tough luck and I could buy a new one full price.

I ended up getting it repaired on the web for like $120. Good as new now. I see the OP's point in some issues. I have gone back and forth a lot myself, but these apps are just killer. I did uninstall winterboard for stability, that program uses memory like its going out of style.

1.) SBSettings-To be able to swipe and turn wifi on and off is just sweet.

2.) xGPS-New App, download Google maps offline for my trip to Ireland where I'll have no cell access, and turn by turn directions coming on the 20th supposedly.

3.) Backgrounder-Pandora while emailing, need I say more?

4.) AdBlock-No more ads in mobile safari. This is way cool.

5.) Poof-so I can hide apps like Adblock, and MakeItMine that you dont have to go into on a daily basis.

6.) MakeItMine-Screw having AT&T at the top my phone and being just like everyone else. I have my name at the top. If I ever lose it in a public place, I can easily prove its my iphone :)

7.) MXTube-Downloading Youtube videos for offline viewing is the bomb. It's great for quickly showing funny videos to people no matter where you are and you can download the full quality video over 3G.

8.) dTunes-Downloading from Seeqpod is awesome, and I can even Torrent videos straight to my iphone. Who needs a computer at all?

9.) NES-Because apps like this will NEVER be allowed in the app store.

10.) ScreenSplitr-View ANY App on your TV. I tried it out, its like I'm giving my own Apple Keynote at home... really cool.

Jailbreaking is infinitely worth it in my opinion. I wouldn't want to be deprived of any of these apps, and I can almost guarantee none of them will ever be seen in the official app store.

There, that's my top 10 reasons to jailbreak. :D

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
1.) SBSettings-To be able to swipe and turn wifi on and off is just sweet.

2.) xGPS-New App, download Google maps offline for my trip to Ireland where I'll have no cell access, and turn by turn directions coming on the 20th supposedly.

3.) Backgrounder-Pandora while emailing, need I say more?

4.) AdBlock-No more ads in mobile safari. This is way cool.

5.) Poof-so I can hide apps like Adblock, and MakeItMine that you dont have to go into on a daily basis.

6.) MakeItMine-Screw having AT&T at the top my phone and being just like everyone else. I have my name at the top. If I ever lose it in a public place, I can easily prove its my iphone :)

7.) MXTube-Downloading Youtube videos for offline viewing is the bomb. It's great for quickly showing funny videos to people no matter where you are and you can download the full quality video over 3G.

8.) dTunes-Downloading from Seeqpod is awesome, and I can even Torrent videos straight to my iphone. Who needs a computer at all?

9.) NES-Because apps like this will NEVER be allowed in the app store.

10.) ScreenSplitr-View ANY App on your TV. I tried it out, its like I'm giving my own Apple Keynote at home... really cool.

Jailbreaking is infinitely worth it in my opinion. I wouldn't want to be deprived of any of these apps, and I can almost guarantee none of them will ever be seen in the official app store.

There, that's my top 10 reasons to jailbreak. :D
These are great reasons. However, OP will just have the same old rebuttals coming back, "I don't need them or use them, and it lags".

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
These are great reasons. However, OP will just have the same old rebuttals coming back, "I don't need them or use them, and it lags".

I'm done with it. When I feel like jailbreaking, I will... When I don't, I won't.

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
NC
Sounds like some solid reasons Spaz. Like you said, don't knock it 'till you try it, and it sounds like you have been trying it out very thoroughly lately and I agree with most of you reasons. The positives outweigh the negatives for me though, but kudos to you for figuring out what works for you and sharing your observations. If everyone would just do that instead of argue on here about wether or not JB causes lag the board would be a lot more peaceful, but I guess thats not what macrumors is about...

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Jailbreak does NOT cause lag in and of itself. The apps you install after jailbreaking do cause the lag, but its all about smart decisions. This is true about any computer there is. It's a provable fact that Winterboard increases memory usage of the Springboard even if installed and no themes are selected at all.

After uninstalling Winterboard, my jailbroken phone runs like a top. No safari crashes, nothing. The only thing that ever crashes is Cydia on occasion, but its nothing horrible and I suspect is an inherent problem in Cydia.

Ultimately it just comes down to how much of the Steve Jobs Kool-Aid you want to drink. Personally, I like my freedom. I don't need Apple dictating what I can't do with a device I own.

OrangeDog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Jailbreak does NOT cause lag in and of itself. The apps you install after jailbreaking do cause the lag, but its all about smart decisions. This is true about any computer there is. It's a provable fact that Winterboard increases memory usage of the Springboard even if installed and no themes are selected at all.

After uninstalling Winterboard, my jailbroken phone runs like a top. No safari crashes, nothing. The only thing that ever crashes is Cydia on occasion, but its nothing horrible and I suspect is an inherent problem in Cydia.

Ultimately it just comes down to how much of the Steve Jobs Kool-Aid you want to drink. Personally, I like my freedom. I don't need Apple dictating what I can't do with a device I own.

And some people just want a smooth working smart phone that doesn't lag and doesn't crash nor need daily (or more) reboots.

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2008
And some people just want a smooth working smart phone that doesn't lag and doesn't crash nor need daily (or more) reboots.

And if you were not an anti-jailbreaking communist you would realize that you can be jailbroken without lagging, crashing, or needing to reboot daily. You just have to be careful with what you download.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005

I'm sick of the Kool-Aid crap that everyone pulls on us. Somehow if I don't wanna jailbreak my iPhone, it means that I'm in some sort of cult? Man, seriously... I've seen what jailbreaking does and I've also seen what it doesn't... it has nothing to do with Steve Jobs.

Also, I'm sick of people comparing a full-sized desktop computer to the iPhone. Full computers are WAY more robust than a smartphone any day. I can add RAM to my computer if I feel it needs it... I CAN'T add RAM to the iPhone or upgrade the processor. There's a reason why Apple doesn't give us EVERYTHING we want... if they did, we'd have very slow phones because it's obvious that the current hardware isn't enough. In my situation, I'd rather have a smooth working iPhone instead of tinkering with it hoping I don't screw something up. By nature, I'm a tinkerer... I like to hack stuff up, but not on my good working iPhone... I'm happy with it being stock.

Sorry for the rant. I'm sick of the Kool-Aid analogy though... it bugs me. I don't care if I'm not a rebel because I'm not jailbreaking my iPhone.

By the way... it's obvious that other ex-jailbreakers know exactly what I'm talking about. Some people way over-defend jailbreaking. Maybe they're the one's "drinking the Kool-Aid™"

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Jailbreak keeps Apple in check. Apple does what it wants when it wants. Netshare? Oh yeah one minute it was there, then it wasn't, then it was again, then it wasn't. Now its gone. Apple's police state on the App store is sickening.

Windows mobile has existed perfectly fine for years with being completely unlocked. You can hack windows mobile to bits. I don't need Apple to protect me from myself. Like it or not, the iphone is a computer. It's like a netbook, you can't really upgrade it, but it doesn't make it any less of a computer. I don't need a kiosk phone that only does what Apple decides is safe for me to do. Move to Cuba if you want to be told what to think and do.

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
And apparently censored as well. I love that some of my posts are now gone just like this one as soon as a moderator sees me complaining about them deleting posts for no reason.

EDIT: I mixed up my forums... HA! Sorry about this rant. I will go and restore my brain now..since jailbreaking it, I've had nothing but troubles

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
There was no valid point.

Like I said, most of everything relating to jailbreaking is moved to the Hack forum, and why would jailbroken community need to convert more users.

So the fact that these pointless threads base on personal preference continue to exist non-stop is beyond me. Care to elaborate, TheSpaz? Only logical reason is your desperate need for attention whoring.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
There was no valid point.

Like I said, most of everything relating to jailbreaking is moved to the Hack forum, and why would jailbroken community need to convert more users.

So the fact that these pointless threads base on personal preference continue to exist non-stop is beyond me. Care to elaborate, TheSpaz? Only logical reason is your desperate need for attention whoring.

I'm not in need of attention. This is a discussion forum and we're discussing. I'm not asking jailbreakers to restore their iPhones and run stock... I was reporting my findings. How can you say my reasons weren't valid? They were valid enough for me.

OrangeDog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
By the way... it's obvious that other ex-jailbreakers know exactly what I'm talking about.

The more you read and search the more complaints you turn up about all the negative impacts that can happen to your iPhone from installing unknown stuff onto jailbroken device.

The appstore has made jailbreaking just about null and void. My personal opinion would be that now the vast majority of people who jailbreak are those that are just to cheap to pay for apps through the app store. It's hard for people to refute the amount of theft that happens from the pirate sites etc that abound with cracked apps.

Some people way over-defend jailbreaking. Maybe they're the one's "drinking the Kool-Aid™"

EXACTLY!

The slightest hint mentioned that jailbreaking isn't as cool as it's made out to be. All the "heavy weight" jailbreakes turn into a mob and accuse people of being rabid. Some need to have a look in the mirror.

I think threads like these are fantastic for people who are unsure of whether or not to jailbreak their device and are searching for reading material to help make up their minds and sift throught the over cultivated hype that surrounds jailbreaking.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
enter rambling.
Yo airhead! Like I said over and over. Any "pro-JB" threads get dumped into Hack forums as it is related to hack. So guess what, there isn't this crazy conspiracy out there to make you jailbreak your precious little $199/$299 iPhone.

However, why do you anti-JBers find the needs to post and re-post about why you are not jailbreaking is still beyond me.

Just use plain old logic here. If you have no need for jailbreak, why would you consider jailbreaking? If you have no need to jailbreak, chances are you have nothing to offer to the jailbreak community, so why would the community want to convert you? JB community is plenty strong with hundreds of thousands of unique users downloading various JB apps. So once again, if you don't want to jailbreak, DON'T. Stop posting these pointless threads with your own opinions in attempt to dilute the facts and boost your ego.

OrangeDog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Yo airhead! Like I said over and over. Any "pro-JB" threads get dumped into Hack forums as it is related to hack. So guess what, there isn't this crazy conspiracy out there to make you jailbreak your precious little $199/$299 iPhone.

However, why do you anti-JBers find the needs to post and re-post about why you are not jailbreaking is still beyond me.

Just use plain old logic here. If you have no need for jailbreak, why would you consider jailbreaking? If you have no need to jailbreak, chances are you have nothing to offer to the jailbreak community, so why would the community want to convert you? JB community is plenty strong with hundreds of thousands of unique users downloading various JB apps. So once again, if you don't want to jailbreak, DON'T. Stop posting these pointless threads with your own opinions in attempt to dilute the facts and boost your ego.

You do seem to get quite agitated everytime someone even hints that jailbreaking and associated apps cause bugginess and lag. Why do you need to continously over justify jailbreaking? The zeal that jailbreakers show for jailbreaking is worrisome and cultish. I don't think anyone is trying to convert anyone. Who cares what others do with their property. But if people do try something out and their end user experience wasn't what you had. That's no reason to come down on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.